Battle Axe - Austin Beerworks

to view more.
Ratings: 44 | Reviews: 3
Reviews by TomTown:
4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at the Draught House.

The beer pours a reddish color with a white head. The aroma is some biscuit and toffee malts with a whole lot of pine from the hops. It smells like a super-hopped red ale, which is how the bartender described it.

The flavor is very bitter, but very good. I get a lot of pine from the hops as well as some resin and some orange citrus. There is also a little bit of biscuit malt and some toffee, but the bitterness level is about medium. The beer is fairly dry and the bitterness is lingering.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

I was pleasantly surprised when I finally got a chance to drink this beer. The first time around, I was told it was all out at a local bar, so I was afraid I won't be able to try it.

The appearance was great, and the aroma was coming alive. It was served in a pint glass, which we all know is not always the best type to get a waft of aroma. It smelled fresh, and hops was showing off somewhat.

The taste was, for me, a bit of the more surprising part than anything else. I can taste a lot of malts coming through, which made it more "sweet," but there was also hint of bitterness. For me, it was very drinkable as it was a bit more on the malty side. 8% ABV? I didn't realize that until I came on here to review.

Overall, I think it's a great beer to drink. I had few red ales recently, and I think this one is the best one of the bunch.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into an Tumbler at the Whip In (Imperial Red Ale).

Appearance: Pours a cloudy red with an off white head about a centimeter thick that lingers and forms a thin lacing on the top of the beer.

Aroma: Piney and citrusy hops with a nice malt backbone of caramel malts poking through.

Taste: Citrus and pine with caramel and bready malts balancing out the bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body and medium carbonation with a resiny lingering finish.

Overall: I though it was pretty good, being only the second offering I've had from ABW.

to view more.