Sputnik - Austin Beerworks

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerZack on 12-30-2011

Reviews by kunstdrache:
4.44/5  rDev +4%

Split a fresh growler of this with 2xHops.

Pours a dark black, smell is amazing though. I'm not a coffee drinker but I love coffee beer and the smell of coffee. Sputnik hits he smell of freshly roasted coffee, just right.
Taste is incredible, many of the coffee beers tend to have the bitterness associated with coffee incorporated. Not this one, it's all about the smoothness and flavorness of sweet coffee and it is done beautifully.
This is marketed as a RIS but somehow feels light for the style, never less, it is a very easy drinker and I easily polished off my glass.
I've had a many coffee beers and this by far beats my top coffee beers- Oakshire Overcast, Surly coffee bender, FBS, Victory at sea. The guys at ABW hit a homerun with this beer. Age this in bourbon barrels and can it! This would give KBS a run for its money.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

The brewery calls Sputnik a Russian Imperial Coffee Oatmeal Stout.
Smells straight up like an iced coffee. Intriguing. Cream, sugar, roasted coffee beans, its all there. The similarities don't end there. The impression that Im drinking an iced latte or other sweetened cold drink from a coffeeshop continues as I sip. The astringency that adding coffee to beer sometimes brings out is gladly missing in this brew, but I think the body of the beer may have absorbed the shot. While its still very much medium to medium-full bodied, I prefer my RIS's to be pretty weighty. There is a bit more flavor development on towards the finish which brings out some chocolate and a deeper roastiness that keeps it from being cloying, which still reinforces the whole iced coffee ideal. Overall, this beer is pretty delicious in a unique way.

3.62/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Very drinkable, very smooth, but no complexity whatsoever.
The nose is pretty much just cold brew coffee and the taste is the same. Overly sweet to me, even for an oatmeal stout. I'm not sure why they're putting "Russian" in the style description.
Overall, it's fine, but with the local hype, I was expecting so much more. It's not something I would probably get again with so much else available during the stout months.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this a couple of times over the weekend. Once at Hopfields and once at a NYE house party. Excellent. Just excellent. Reminded me a lot of Peche Mortel, but the coffee flavor was much stronger in this and IMO better.

The beer was black. I can definitely say that. When I served it at a NYE party, the beer definitely stained the red Solo cup (not just a cup... a friend) that I poured it in. Nothing special, but not bad either.

The smell was coffee. Whoa, boy. Coffee. Nicely rounded and full-bodied coffee. Cuvee knows what they're doing. When I popped open the growler at the NYE party, you could smell this thing from across the room. Mmmm... strong.

The beer was fairly dry and relatively light. Good carbonation kept it feeling fresh. The taste was mostly the coffee, but there was also a roasted, chalky background that complemented the coffee quite well. This isn't really a RIS, but who cares about styles anyway? Damned tasty. The sips definitely brought back Peche Mortel to my mind, but the coffee in this thing was much stronger and much better.

Overall, this was excellent work that nailed the RICO style. I was glad to have it again and this beer once again cements the quality of ABW in my mind.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.44/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

This RICO (Russian Imperial Coffee Oatmeal) on draft pours up regular lookin. Dark brown. No crazy head. Aroma is coffeee, Dark malts, vanilla bean, nothin too out of the norm. Tastes of coffeee, and same as nose, not too out of the yoosh ('usual' for the dummies), malty, hop balance, doesn't take a scientist to guess this brew. Full bodied, easy carbo. I give this beer a Lil better score just cuz I loooove coffee beers. And this beer is coffee loaded! I can't ever taste oatmeal so that's whatever here. Any-fart, drink this beer

Sputnik from Austin Beerworks