Missile Dropkick - Austin Beerworks

Missile Dropkick
No picture uploaded.

Austin Beerworks visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: htomsirveaux on 05-12-2012)
Reviews by 2xHops:
4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap at the Draught House. Drank alongside the Belgian version of this beer, Flying Headbutt.

The beer pours a deep red color with a tan head. The aroma is full of pine and orange notes, as well as a ton of sweet malt. The flavor is very similar. I get a lot of sugary, sweet notes from the malts, as well as some toffee, bitter orange and alcohol. This is a big, boozy, sugary Double IPA. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

I tried and tried to sneak through a picture of the plain aluminum CAN with only a pink Post-It note with JenRay’s handwriting on it in support of The CANQuest ™, but to no avail. The time has come to drink it!

I employed a very gentle pour as it has been in the beerfrigerator for a while and I did not see any need to rouse any potential lees. It couldn’t have been prettier! I still ended up with two-plus fingers of dense, bone-white head following the Crack! and Glug. The head really lasted, finally beginning to implode and leave great lacing in its wake. Nose was redolent with pine resin and for those who question aging CANned beers, this one seems to have held up quite nicely, thank you. Color was Solid Gold (SRM = 5) with NE-quality clarity and of course, this was the cue for The Unholy Trio of Mammon, Midas and Croesus to appear and begin squabbling amongst themselves for a taste. I CANnot wait, however, and got a wad of it in my mouth. Yes, a wad, since its dense mouthfeel sat on my tongue like a dollop. The taste was initially hot and the hops began to attack my poor, bruised tongue with gusto, worming into the dead or weak taste buds like muriatic acid. OMFG! Once I got my bearings back and my feet under me after being drop kicked, I got an intense wash of pine hops. Malt seemed to have been an afterthought or perhaps it had not come to the forefront as yet, but that should give you some indiCANtion of its intensity. Phew. Finish was hot and dry and I could hear the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara Desert. What a beer! I CAN only hope that they CANtinue to put it into CANs!

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

A. pours amber, tan head
S. Smells sweet, sugary, pine and grapefruit hops
T. Sweet, lots of sugars to bump up abv? Hoppy back end
M. Great carbonation
O. Good beer, a bit sweet, I assume to bump up ABV.
Some dark malts to get the amber color. I'd drink again.

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

Tried on tap at Austin Beerworks first anniversary party. Served in the Hellbent shaker pint.

One of their two anniversary beers.

Small light brown head quickly dissipates. Lightly carbonated. Aroma is orange pith and some ethanol. Lots of citric bittersweetness to start. Orange bittersweet throughout. Medium body, warming ethanol. Lingering citric finish and aftertaste.

Seems similar to the Belgian IPA, like a split batch with two different yeasts.

Missile Dropkick from Austin Beerworks