Einhorn - Austin Beerworks

to view more.
Ratings: 88 | Reviews: 9
Reviews by BgThang:
4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer is slightly out of style for a traditional berliner in which has the grainy/cereal'y after taste as this finishes clean and is a great tasting light sour beer.

Straw color with a nice white head on it. The nose is fruity, acidic with some grassy notes.

I love this beer and glad I got to try it this year. already on my 4th growler.

Thanks to someone for sharing this growler at thirdeye11's tasting. This is Texas rating No. 500.

The beer pours a hazy straw color with a white head. The aroma has some slightly sour wheat notes, as well as some lemon character. The flavor is very similar. There is some lactic sourness, as well as some wheat and lemon notes. While the sourness is present the beer, it is fairly subtle and overall the beer is very easy to drink. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Glad I got to try this one as it is always nice to have a new Berliner Weisse, especially one brewed in Texas.

4.04/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Haven't had many Berliners. So this brew pours up a vibrant pale yellow with a little white remnant of head. Nose is very faint. Lemons and pale malts. Flavor is big tart lemons. That's it, but tasty. Very sour. Light bodied, nice crispy carbo. Very nice brew.

4.21/5  rDev +2.2%

I have had this enough over the last few days to put a review down. Had it at the brewery, and several times at Cottonwood in Houston.

A: Pours a clear straw, yellow color. A two finger white head forms and gently recedes after a minute. Light lace is left behind.
S: Up front is some lactic, slightly acidic and tar lemon aromas. Some light fruity aromas of white grades and apple skins. A slight sulfuric and mineral character in the nose. A lingering tartness with husky wheat a cereal grains/crackers.
T: Much like the nose, a mix of lactic and slightly acidic fruit notes with a sulfur and minerallly flavor. Lemon, grapes, apple skins. Acidic in the finish with some wheat flavors and cereal grains. Very nice.
M/D: A light body that is perfectly effervescent. Crisp, so dry and refreshing. Um, yeah, I can drink this all day. Incredibly refreshing, easy, and enjoyable to drink. I keep wanting to come back for more.

An excellent example of a style that is just starting to gain popularity in the States. Maybe New Glarus makes the only superior version? Well, at least from what I have had. Well done, and highly recommended.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cheers and thanks are owed to BA canadianghetto for looking out for me and hooking me up with a 32oz growler of this berliner that ive never had. Poured into a tulip, the brew appears a clear yellow with a white topping that is quick to fade. Some rising bubbles maintain a fine ring around the perimeter of the glass.

The aroma is lactic with lemon and yogurt notes. A little sulfur when swirled and I am stretching to say it has some fruity notes faintly like dry white grapes and apple skin. The backend has a wheat inclusion that is mildly bready or cracker-like.

The flavor is tart like lemon juice/zest with a dryness like you are eating greek yogurt. Some faint fruity qualities are present mid-palate before tapering off to a dry cracker-like grain inclusion mixed with a fresh wheat taste.

This is a light bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. It is crisp, snappy, refreshing and downright poundable. I could drink this by the gallon if given the opportunity. Fans of berliners need to seek this out, it is a solid representation of the style. Will, thank you kindly for this...I owe you.

4.16/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at the 3rd anniversary party at Austin Beerworks. Pours golden little head. Smells like honey smacks and lemon. Taste is tart refreshing lemony and thin flavor. Very refreshing and easy to drink. Medium carbonation. Tasty light and a great Berliner.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance:
Lightly hazy straw yellow with a scattering of white head.

Aroma:
Tart wheat, lemon, touch of yogurty lactic tartness, and a slight hint of apricot.

Taste:
Brilliant lactic tartness (not sour, but brightly tart), nice malts, a touch of salt, and a nonspecific creamy fruitiness. Nice malty backbone that doesn't leave much sweetness in your mouth. Very clean and refreshing.

Mouthfeel:
Effervescent, light to medium explosion of carbonation that quickly subsides to a slight astringency. Super easy to drink and very refreshing.

Overall:
This is a solid beer. Great for Texas weather, with just the right level of sessionability at 3.5%. Ultra refreshing, I've filled over 10 growlers with this beer in the last couple of months. I wish I could buy this year-round (because I absolutely would).

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

On Tap at Workhorse 7/17

A: Extremely pale yellow, with slight haziness. Pillowy white head which lasted throughout and moderate lacing.

S: Lemon rind, mild wheat, and a hint of sulfur.

T: Very subtle, light flavors of lemon and wheat. An almost perfect amount of sourness for my tastes.

M: This beer dances on the tongue. Very light bodied and highly carbonated. Extremely refreshing.

O: A bold choice stylistically from a brewery who seems to play it safe (although I really enjoy their beers). And they executed it well. Not as complex as other Berliners I've had, but the best version I've sampled stateside.

3.51/5  rDev -14.8%

This was a new experience for me. I haven't ventured too far into sour beers just yet and even though this isn't a traditional sour the tartness took me by surprise.

I covered the beer in an episode of Locapour: http://locapour.tv/austin/austinbeerworkseinhorn

My guest for this episode was Tre Miner, a Certified Cicerone, and I had him choose the beer. It was very eye opening for me. At first I didn't like it but over the course of the discussion you can see that I opened up to the possibilities of the Berliner Weisse.

I would LOVE to try this beer with the traditional raspberry syrup presentation or with fresh fruit. I have a feeling it would be a great experience.

I also have a feeling that I might find myself rating this beer higher next summer.

to view more.