Heavy Machinery Double IPA - Austin Beerworks

Beer added by: htdoerge on 06-06-2013

Ratings: 212 | Reviews: 25
Reviews by BgThang:
4.91/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is among the TOP DIPA's out there. WOW I hope they make this again. Dry hopped with simcoe and citra and it comes through in the nose. A ton of hop flavor without a ton of bitterness. Just the way I like all my IPA's HOMERUN ABW! Too bad this stuff flew off shelves in meer hours

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Can (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, wagenvolks and xpimptastikx!

I'm not going to write a long review because I'm just going to kick my feet up and enjoy this fantastic DIPA. Without a doubt, the best DIPA I've had from the Midwest/South/Texas...whatever you want to call it. This stuff is super tasty and smells just as good: tons of grapefruit, pine, big bitterness, but really drinkable. I love this beer!

3.84/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from the can, into a Imperial pint glass.

A - Pours a somewhat murky copper, with a 1-finger head, with great retention.
Each sip leaves huge amounts of feathery lacing on the glass, marking the level of where your beer was before the last sip. Great looking stuff!

S - Light nips of Mango, apricot, and lime pith, chased by bright hints of warming alcohol. The malt takes a back seat to the zippyness of the hops, but isn't completely out of the picture. A light, bready quality emerges as the beer warms up. HUZZAH!

T - A kiss of dried grapefruit greets the palate, as well as the familiar notes of apricot and mango. The dry malt-flavors compliment the slightly bitter hop-profile as well. This beer is complex, and somewhat creamy, in a way... kind of a head-scratcher. But I like it, so there's that, I suppose.

M - As mentioned above, creamy, with a bright acidity that helps to push the flavors across the palate, and a good bit of warming alcohol to boot. If you like Ruination, or 90-Minute, this beer is for you!

O - Not my favorite DIPA, but undoubtably a good one. If you can get your hands on one, grab it NOW. If not, I feel bad for you son, I got 30 beers in my fridge, and this IS one...
Cheers!

4.29/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From a tallboy can into a 20 ounce nonic.

Great glass for a great beer. Love the name of this brew.

Looks excellent. Light and airy, but sizeable pale white head. Golden amber body with pristine clarity.

Big floral bouquet on the nose with touches citrus and sweetness behind. Caramel is present. Certainly suggests a sweeter beer but there's enough pineyness to assure one that there will be a hop wallop.

Getting some nice flavors here. This really starts developing the more sips you get into it (fancy that). Big on the floral notes, but also a touch citrusy and offering some sweet cantaloupe or honeydew. The malt sweetness and melon flavors interplay very well.

This sucker is smooth as can be. Low carbonation enables the creaminess and drinkability making this far too easy to toss back for such a big ABV beer. It's on the sweeter side but still has enough bitterness drifting throughout and on the finish to maintain a good balance.

An excellent DIPA. I'm not sure why this hasn't become a nationally renowned brew. Soon come I think.

4.21/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a nice, golden sunrise orange with a half inch white head. The head dissipates leaving some lacing on the glass. Smells of pine, resin, grapefruit and orange. The taste starts with a piney earthiness, slight citrus fruits, then ends with an intense bitterness. It leaves a nice fruity aftertaste. Medium body and flavorful on the finish. Solid offering from the Lone Star state.

3.63/5  rDev -14.6%

Extra from a trade with Videofrog. Thanks man!

Split the can with a buddy, so poured half into a glass. Nice amber color (it was dark outside in the back so not 100% sure its full appearance). Decent head with some lacing

Smells of musty hops

Taste was kinda sweaty, like my ex's vag (not a bad thing). Kinda lingered for a few.

Mouthfeel was good. Decent oily hops and resin. Good body and carbonation

Overall, not bad, but I've had better DIPAs (and better vag's)

4.49/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review from my tasting notes: The beer poured a hazy amber orange with a full head and an explosion of hops in the aroma. Loads of dank resinous hops with a some citrus as well which is right in my wheelhouse. The taste followed the aroma with loads of dank resinous and citrus hops with a good dose of floral bitterness on the back end. The hops were floating in a sweet honey malt body that was surprisingly full and gave a nice heft to this brew. What an outstanding beer from Austin Beerworks, they really hit it out of the park on this one.

4.44/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to ONovoMexicano for this tasty DIPA. Really nice brew. Would drink this again ina heartbeat.

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This was sent to me by the lovely JenRay in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) and I am grateful for the inclusion of such a beer! I dedicate this one to my good buddy, EO1 Robt. "Scotty-Bro" Scott, USN (Ret.), whose years at the helm of various pieces of heavy equipment have left him on 100% disability. Be well, bro!

From the CAN: "Seasonal IPA Series"; "CANned for Quality by Austin Beerworks LLC."; "Keep Cold & Drink Fresh"; "Only Available in Austin"; "This CAN contains Specialty IPA";

"Austin Beerworks suggests staying away from: Acetylene Torches, Backhoes, Chipper-Shredders, Dairy Milking Apparatus, Edible Underwear, Falcons, Godaddy (TM), Hydraulics, Ice Picks, JellO (TM), KFC (TM), Lederhosen, Micro-Gravity, Nail Guns, Oklahoma, Pilates Equipment, Quilting Hoops, Rubber Gloves, Sing-A-Longs, Teddy Ruxpin (TM), Unicycles, Vibrating Beds, Waffles, Xylophones, Yard Aerators, and Zambonis.";

"Also Do Not Operate: One-Armed Bandits, 2 Live Crew, Three-Legged Races, Four-Man Bobsleds, Five Gooolden Rings, Six Flags Fiesta (TM), Seven-Layer Dips, Eight Track Players, Nine-Pound Hammers, Ten-Gallon Hats or 20-sided die.";

"Best to Avoid: Carnival Rides, Novelty Condoms, The Machine That Makes Lines Down the Center of the Highway, Bras, the Flute, Fedoras (You Don't Look Cool), Animated GIFs, Original Lifetime (TM) Movies, Any Machine That CAN Juice a Carrot, The Fleshlight (TM), Speed-Dial, Dreamcatchers, Peppermills, Drill-Presses, Bench-Presses and Panini-Presses. Avoid ATVs, SUVs, GPS, DVRs, VCRs, ATMs, ACL, PYTs, or Activity That May Result in STDs. Do Not Attempt: Time Travel, Dressage, Declarations of Love, Eyebrow Tweezing, Bro-Tazing, and We CAN't Be More Serious About This One: Twitter (TM).";

"Never [:] Shake, Microwave, Leave Unattended, Drop It Like Its Hot, Put Baby in a Corner, Gonna Give You Up/Gonna Let You Down."

After all of those caveats, I CAN't tell what I should do! I am proceeding with the Crack!, resulting in the presentation of yet another brimful craft CAN. The Glug will not be inverted due to the CAN's size (16 fl. oz/355 ml), which has caused me difficulty in the past. I wound up with two fingers of foamy, tawny head with good retention. Color was a cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = > 17, < 22). Nose had a distinct pine-orange zest smell along with an underlying caramel maltiness. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops decided not to pay any attention to the warnings, breaking out a jackhammer and going to work on my poor, aching tongue, then running a grader along its length, just to ensure maximum penetration. I was beginning to sweat as I looked over at the sticky lacing that was beginning to form and I wondered if I might borrow that jackhammer later to remove it. The intensity of DIPAs CAN often be too much, even for me, but in this case, it had a really nice orange-citrus taste that seemed to cut through everything else. Finish was semi-dry with the caramel malt offsetting some of the hops' intensity. Phew! I am going to take a ChANce later and operate my Fleshlight (TM), but the rest of it may have to wait.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Oh my...this is one tasty DIPA. Bought a 4 pack of 16 oz cans at Round Rock HEB on O'Connor.

Pours a burnt orange without a lot of lacing in my Firestone Walker pint glass. Actually not a ton going on here looks wise.

Bam! Super dank tropical mango and pineapple. A bit of pine and almost a syrupy orange to it as well. Quite Lovely.

Really big hop bite up front followed by that delicious tropical fruit of mango and pineapple. Decent sweet malt backbone to counter act those hops.. Man, just a helluva wallop of flavor on this one. Fairly dry, leaving me not wanting to put the pint glass down.

This one goes towards the top of the list for Texas DIPAs as far as I'm concerned. A must try for any Imp IPA fan here in Texas.

3.78/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Look -- Pours a nice copper golden. Good, white head.

Nose -- Resiny citrus. Sweat that gives the nose a cattiness--I'm not too turned off by it.

Flavor -- A blend of grassy bitterness and caramel sweetness. The flavor is layered. Dead flowers and old hay that also contains big fruit and piney notes. Tangerine, overripe oranges. More resin here too. The sweetness grows on me some.

Feel -- Full bodied. The finish is much sweeter than I would like.

Overall -- I always appreciate a beer that isn't too one dimensional, but the hop profile here leads to a cluttered pallet. The real problem I have is the caramel sweet character is overdone--especially by the finish. In my opinion, it's a pretty typical shortcoming for DIPAs. I would drink another though.

4.36/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Cottonwood in Houston. I am so glad I have a chance to try this...

A: Pours a hazed golden/copper color. A tightly packed, two finger white head forms with good retention. As the foam gently recedes, plenty of lace is left behind.
S: Big and bright hops up front and center. All the typical fruit aromas. Grapefruit, citrus, lemon, which are all great. Juicy tropical fruits. Everything is so perfume like. The aromatics are off the charts. Just a hint of sweetness as this warms. I can plant my nose in the glass all day.
T: A bit more pine and resinous hops up front in the taste. That quickly fades to more bright fruits, grapefruit and citrus as the big hitters. Tropical fruits of pineapple and mango even. Some sweetness for a bit of balance. Though finishes with a great clean and dry bite of more citrus/grapefruit hops. Incredibly complex, and spot on for the style.
M/D: A medium body that is very crisp and effervescent. Clean, dry, and very refreshing. The alcohol is not noticeable at all. Incredibly easy and so enjoyable to drink.

An excellent example of the style. I can't stand bitterness, just for bitterness sake. Which is a downfall of many DIPA's I have tried. This however has a lot of character, with a great dry and clean finish that makes me want to keep coming back for more. Austin Beerworks continues to make excellent beers. Highly recommended, from a non hop head.

2.84/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

16 fl oz aluminum can with uninteresting label acquired at a local H-E-B grocery and served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current 94 rating. Reviewed as an imperial IPA.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of khaki-white colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. Okay frothiness. Head retention is above average - about 3 minutes. Little lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a quasitransparent translucent copper with warm orange hues. Above average in terms of vibrance. Clean; no floating yeast particles are visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Overall, it's an appealing appearance for the style, albeit a pretty conventional one. Far from unique or special, but it looks good for an imperial IPA. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Dank grapefruit and citrusy resins, with an accompanying hop bitterness bite. Dry pine needles. Evergreen sap. Light nectary hop character. Floral hop character. Caramalts. Pale malts. Light bready malts.

The untamed hop bitterness is hugely problematic, and the dryness of the aroma is already signalling this is unlikely to refresh. That said, it's got some nice hop notes and I'm hoping the taste is more balanced than the aroma. A somewhat pleasant aroma of mild strength.

No overt alcohol, yeast character, or off-notes are detectable.

T: The disastrously imbalanced hop bitterness severely restrains the quality of the taste. The grapefruit is way too aggressive and too biting. I wish the citrusy notes were juicy and had more depth. Aside from the poorly executed grapefruit, I find some generic floral hop notes, a bit of dank hop oils, and some mediocre sappy character. As far as hop profiles go, this doesn't match my personal tastes well at all. I will say I'm glad it's not real soapy. The tropical hop character it has - the mango and light pineapple - isn't particularly likable.

Caramalts, pale malts, and a light bready malt sweetness provide the foundation of the beer. I think I find some honey/honey malts as well.

No yeast character, alcohol, or off-flavours are present.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. There isn't much complexity or subtlety here, let alone intricacy and nuance. It's a hugely imbalanced flavour profile for an imperial IPA, and seems to be following Stone and Green Flash in terms of imperial IPA brewing becoming a dicksizing competition with IBUs and hop content. This is more a juvenile exercise in packing in hops than a sincere attempt at brewing a balanced and carefully executed beer. While I do appreciate some of the elements at play here, ultimately the build just doesn't feel intentionally constructed or even cohesive.

Mf: Way too dry and too coarse for an imperial IPA. It dries out the mouth while not providing much in the way of refreshment, and feels hazy. Could be softer and creamier. Full-bodied. Decent thickness. Filling. Lightly oily. Not crisp. Overcarbonated and biting. Sticky.

Not gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

Okay presence on the palate. Overall, this texture doesn't suit the taste or style too well at all. The dry chalky feel featured here just plain doesn't work in an imperial IPA.

Dr: It's much more difficult to drink than many beers in the style, mainly due to the poorly executed texture and the highly imbalanced taste. I'm sure this'll attract its fans, but it won't impress the discerning drinker and it's far from amongst the best beers in the style. I wouldn't recommend it to friends and trade partners per se, and I continue to be underwhelmed by Austin Beerworks.

C

4.66/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The intense smell of Citra on the noise is very pleasant. But the taste is even better. The Hops are very intense on the front to the finish with a sweet caramel note in the middle. The 10% alcohol is masked really well making it cool and refreshing. The 10% will sneak up on you if you're not careful.

4.19/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- light brown-orange with partial haze, big 2 finger yellow beige head with plenty of lacing

Smell- very floral cascade with herbal spiciness and big citrus of tangerines and grapefruit

Taste- light pale malts on the forefront, a savory middle of earthy hope resins, finish has a good note of alcohol warmth, lingering flavor

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, the carbonation is mild and the hops impart a bit of oiliness

Overall- very impressive IPA that can stand alone without a food pairing, definitely holds unique traits for the style

4.46/5  rDev +4.9%

Special thanks to Gmr75 for this outrageous extra!

A - Bright orange apricot body. Thin white head with ok rentetion and lace.

S - Soft, sweet nose. Nectarines, honey, white peach, pear, and a touch of green-hops through the nose.

T - Wow. Delicious and extraordinarily well balanced. Smooth nectarine and pear fruitiness with a soft bread crust center and a sweet woody hop finish. Subtle accents of honey, black pepper, and plant bitters.

M - An absolutely perfect, round, pleasantly full, well balanced body.

A - A stellar DIPA, masterfully balanced and well restrained.

M - Fantastically smooth, medium body.

3.07/5  rDev -27.8%

Heavy Machinery DIPA
Austin Beerworks
20130619
16oz can to Duvel tulip
DIPA
Bought on 06/14/2013 (canned around 06/02/2013)

A – Amber, a tiny bit cloudy. Somewhat translucent but very much not transparent. I poured it quite forcefully to get more head as my first can didn’t retain the head well. It’s a thick and billowy off-white and dissipates at a nice rate.

S – Hops and malt are pretty big on this one. The malt is more than I’d like. I pick up some pine, citrus, and dark resinous smell, maybe soap-like. For the citrus, mainly orange that I like with a little lemon zest. Getting a heavy malty-earthy smell too, like some nutty, woody, muddled smell. When I swirl it I get a light smell that’s fish-like. Fish and cheese. Unexpected.

T – Fits smell somewhat. Hops and malt, but I think the malt is actually dominant here. The main flavors I get are a nutty-woody flavor with a tiny lemon kick the whole time. This flavor is accompanied by a hoppiness that’s more resinous than piney or expressly bitter. There’s no bright, clear hop flavor.

M – Thick, kind of syrupy. Feels almost sludgy on the tongue. A bit of tingle on the tip of the tongue is the only sign of carbonation. It softly slicks the rest of the tongue like oil. Is close feeling on the sides of the tongue but kind of distant on the top and front. Definitely what I would call chewy. Thickest DIPA I’ve ever had.

D – Not high. It’s thick and cloying. Malt seems to star instead of hops. I want to like it but think this is a strikeout. Even if I disregard style, this is still just an average beer.
3, 3.5, 3, 2.5, 3.

Wait 45 minutes and revisit.
S – Citrus, alcohol, and another fruit. It’s watermelon. A tiny bit of pine and cabbage when I swirl it. A sweet nutty scent too. Smells a little better.
T – Malt forward still. A nutty, sweet thickness with hops in the background. Citrus zest is very, very tiny on the swallow. Alcohol is coming out.
M – Thick and syrupy, more velvety than before.
D – The smell, well, nothing really improved on the whole. My numbers are good.

4.29/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: orange-ish to light amber, a little hazy, not much lasting head
S: citrus, a little malty sweetness, not quite as strong as expected
T: very well balanced, citrus on front end, balanced out quickly with a little sweetness, some lingering alcohol and warming
O: really good iteration of a style that is hard to get right. complex and balanced the way a double ipa should be.

4.67/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very crisp, piney smell. The taste is danky, malty and balanced. Not nearly as boozy as I thought it'd be a 10%. This is probably the best beer I've had from my home city of Austin.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Outstanding DIPA. Very comparable to other world class brews of this style. Amazing nose upon pour. Very nice looking. And awesome citrus hop flavor. 10%abv is extremely well hidden.

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

You have to understand going into the Heavy Machinery Double IPA is that its meant to be an ass-kicker. This is Austin Beerworks 426 Hemi.

When you pour it, it is straight bronze. Light white head. Beautiful bronze, tough to see through it, but not cloudy.

When you engage the sniffer, you are gonna get hit with lots of action. You get lots of malt, decent citrus, and booze. Your nose is not misguiding you... This is exactly what you are in store for.

Taste: Be ready. Malt and booze hit hard at front, citrus, hops, and a lil carbo will ride you out the rest of the way. The bitter from the hops really reveal themselves at the mid-point, right when the malt dies off. A profound amount of action is happening once its in the jowls. This is the beauty of this brew.

The mouthfeel is full. Its a full commitment. Its edgy, cuz you are taking in big malt and big bitter.

Please take the time to appreciate the complexity of this beer. Its a huge brew, but there is so much going on. Don't just pass it off as boozy, let it warm up a little and let the other flavors come out and blow you away.

3.54/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A:pours a burnt orange in color with golden shaeds towards the edges of the glass. Yellow cake decent head that slowly recedes to about 1/2". Some lacing left behind, bubbly and well carbonated.

S: intense piney, resinous hop character. Grapefruit and citrus aromas alike. The hop essence seems to be the most prominent caractheristic on this beer.

T: biscuity, bready, boozy, there's not much complexity here, the hop flavors try to shine thru, but it's quickly overrun by the booziness from the alcohol.

M: dry, light to medium body, no lingering flavors and chewy.

O: it certainly has the abv of a DIPA, but the aroma and flavor and mouthfeel just seem to each have a mind of their own. I couldn't find a connecting element between all of them.

4.21/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16oz, no date but fresh
Riedel tulip

A: Nice chill hazed orange leading to deep orange color. Nearly two fingers if fluffy off white head. Great carbonation. Leaving great lacing sheeting.

S: Wow. Really dank tropical dripping fruits: mango, papaya, over ripe peach, pineapple. Some of that mixture of hops and malts "orange marmalade" character. Some pine hints.

T: Big huge hop bitterness up front. Really astringent and sharp. Some of those sweet dripping tropical fruit flavors. Definitely mango and papaya. There is some sweet malts boarding on bready to back up the huge hop package. Finish is fairly dry. Lingering hop sweetness.

M: It's a large medium. Has some body too it.

4.74/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a beautiful orangey copper. Finger width head. Smells wonderfully of tropical fruit, mostly mango and pineapple. The taste is as good as any other IPA I've had. Hop forward and finish, but the malt really balances this fine brew. The tropical nota come through in the taste. Nice hoppy taste, not overbearing but the bitterness lingers. Hope ABW makes this a year round.

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz can served in a DFH IPA glass.
Big thanks to Yoshi Optimator for this one.

A - Pours a hazy burnt orange with medium

S - Orange and grapefruit citrus hops dominate the nose with hints of generic tropical fruit. Very juicy and pungent smelling. Toasted biscuity grain underneath. Lavender and leafy hops come out as it warms.

T - Dirty orange and grapefruit but there's some sticky pine running right down the center. Sweet grainy malts are slightly toasted and create a firm foundation for the hops. Sticky, resinous, with some spearmint coming through. There's a spicy bitterness on the back. The finish is semi dry bringing in herbal and floral notes.

M - Full bodied, low carbonation, chewy and sticky.

The beer starts out with citrus dominating but as it warms a more spicy floral aspect comes out. The alcohol is hidden in the flavor but is very present on the nose. There was some off flavors that I couldn't quite figure out that kinda threw everything off but it was enough to be a deal breaker. At 10 abv this one will sneak up on you. Worth a try if your in the Austin area.

Heavy Machinery Double IPA from Austin Beerworks