Heavy Machinery Double IPA - Austin Beerworks

Heavy Machinery Double IPAHeavy Machinery Double IPA

Austin Beerworks visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: htdoerge on 06-06-2013)
Reviews by nsheehan:
3.05/5  rDev -28.2%

Heavy Machinery DIPA
Austin Beerworks
20130619
16oz can to Duvel tulip
DIPA
Bought on 06/14/2013 (canned around 06/02/2013)

A – Amber, a tiny bit cloudy. Somewhat translucent but very much not transparent. I poured it quite forcefully to get more head as my first can didn’t retain the head well. It’s a thick and billowy off-white and dissipates at a nice rate.

S – Hops and malt are pretty big on this one. The malt is more than I’d like. I pick up some pine, citrus, and dark resinous smell, maybe soap-like. For the citrus, mainly orange that I like with a little lemon zest. Getting a heavy malty-earthy smell too, like some nutty, woody, muddled smell. When I swirl it I get a light smell that’s fish-like. Fish and cheese. Unexpected.

T – Fits smell somewhat. Hops and malt, but I think the malt is actually dominant here. The main flavors I get are a nutty-woody flavor with a tiny lemon kick the whole time. This flavor is accompanied by a hoppiness that’s more resinous than piney or expressly bitter. There’s no bright, clear hop flavor.

M – Thick, kind of syrupy. Feels almost sludgy on the tongue. A bit of tingle on the tip of the tongue is the only sign of carbonation. It softly slicks the rest of the tongue like oil. Is close feeling on the sides of the tongue but kind of distant on the top and front. Definitely what I would call chewy. Thickest DIPA I’ve ever had.

D – Not high. It’s thick and cloying. Malt seems to star instead of hops. I want to like it but think this is a strikeout. Even if I disregard style, this is still just an average beer.
3, 3.5, 3, 2.5, 3.

Wait 45 minutes and revisit.
S – Citrus, alcohol, and another fruit. It’s watermelon. A tiny bit of pine and cabbage when I swirl it. A sweet nutty scent too. Smells a little better.
T – Malt forward still. A nutty, sweet thickness with hops in the background. Citrus zest is very, very tiny on the swallow. Alcohol is coming out.
M – Thick and syrupy, more velvety than before.
D – The smell, well, nothing really improved on the whole. My numbers are good.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Can (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, wagenvolks and xpimptastikx!

I'm not going to write a long review because I'm just going to kick my feet up and enjoy this fantastic DIPA. Without a doubt, the best DIPA I've had from the Midwest/South/Texas...whatever you want to call it. This stuff is super tasty and smells just as good: tons of grapefruit, pine, big bitterness, but really drinkable. I love this beer!

3.84/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from the can, into a Imperial pint glass.

A - Pours a somewhat murky copper, with a 1-finger head, with great retention.
Each sip leaves huge amounts of feathery lacing on the glass, marking the level of where your beer was before the last sip. Great looking stuff!

S - Light nips of Mango, apricot, and lime pith, chased by bright hints of warming alcohol. The malt takes a back seat to the zippyness of the hops, but isn't completely out of the picture. A light, bready quality emerges as the beer warms up. HUZZAH!

T - A kiss of dried grapefruit greets the palate, as well as the familiar notes of apricot and mango. The dry malt-flavors compliment the slightly bitter hop-profile as well. This beer is complex, and somewhat creamy, in a way... kind of a head-scratcher. But I like it, so there's that, I suppose.

M - As mentioned above, creamy, with a bright acidity that helps to push the flavors across the palate, and a good bit of warming alcohol to boot. If you like Ruination, or 90-Minute, this beer is for you!

O - Not my favorite DIPA, but undoubtably a good one. If you can get your hands on one, grab it NOW. If not, I feel bad for you son, I got 30 beers in my fridge, and this IS one...
Cheers!

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

4.21/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a nice, golden sunrise orange with a half inch white head. The head dissipates leaving some lacing on the glass. Smells of pine, resin, grapefruit and orange. The taste starts with a piney earthiness, slight citrus fruits, then ends with an intense bitterness. It leaves a nice fruity aftertaste. Medium body and flavorful on the finish. Solid offering from the Lone Star state.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.04/5  rDev -4.9%

3.63/5  rDev -14.6%

Extra from a trade with Videofrog. Thanks man!

Split the can with a buddy, so poured half into a glass. Nice amber color (it was dark outside in the back so not 100% sure its full appearance). Decent head with some lacing

Smells of musty hops

Taste was kinda sweaty, like my ex's vag (not a bad thing). Kinda lingered for a few.

Mouthfeel was good. Decent oily hops and resin. Good body and carbonation

Overall, not bad, but I've had better DIPAs (and better vag's)

Heavy Machinery Double IPA from Austin Beerworks