Heavy Machinery Double IPA - Austin Beerworks

Texas, United States

Beer added by: htdoerge on 06-06-2013

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

2.84/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

16 fl oz aluminum can with uninteresting label acquired at a local H-E-B grocery and served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current 94 rating. Reviewed as an imperial IPA.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of khaki-white colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. Okay frothiness. Head retention is above average - about 3 minutes. Little lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a quasitransparent translucent copper with warm orange hues. Above average in terms of vibrance. Clean; no floating yeast particles are visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Overall, it's an appealing appearance for the style, albeit a pretty conventional one. Far from unique or special, but it looks good for an imperial IPA. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Dank grapefruit and citrusy resins, with an accompanying hop bitterness bite. Dry pine needles. Evergreen sap. Light nectary hop character. Floral hop character. Caramalts. Pale malts. Light bready malts.

The untamed hop bitterness is hugely problematic, and the dryness of the aroma is already signalling this is unlikely to refresh. That said, it's got some nice hop notes and I'm hoping the taste is more balanced than the aroma. A somewhat pleasant aroma of mild strength.

No overt alcohol, yeast character, or off-notes are detectable.

T: The disastrously imbalanced hop bitterness severely restrains the quality of the taste. The grapefruit is way too aggressive and too biting. I wish the citrusy notes were juicy and had more depth. Aside from the poorly executed grapefruit, I find some generic floral hop notes, a bit of dank hop oils, and some mediocre sappy character. As far as hop profiles go, this doesn't match my personal tastes well at all. I will say I'm glad it's not real soapy. The tropical hop character it has - the mango and light pineapple - isn't particularly likable.

Caramalts, pale malts, and a light bready malt sweetness provide the foundation of the beer. I think I find some honey/honey malts as well.

No yeast character, alcohol, or off-flavours are present.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. There isn't much complexity or subtlety here, let alone intricacy and nuance. It's a hugely imbalanced flavour profile for an imperial IPA, and seems to be following Stone and Green Flash in terms of imperial IPA brewing becoming a dicksizing competition with IBUs and hop content. This is more a juvenile exercise in packing in hops than a sincere attempt at brewing a balanced and carefully executed beer. While I do appreciate some of the elements at play here, ultimately the build just doesn't feel intentionally constructed or even cohesive.

Mf: Way too dry and too coarse for an imperial IPA. It dries out the mouth while not providing much in the way of refreshment, and feels hazy. Could be softer and creamier. Full-bodied. Decent thickness. Filling. Lightly oily. Not crisp. Overcarbonated and biting. Sticky.

Not gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

Okay presence on the palate. Overall, this texture doesn't suit the taste or style too well at all. The dry chalky feel featured here just plain doesn't work in an imperial IPA.

Dr: It's much more difficult to drink than many beers in the style, mainly due to the poorly executed texture and the highly imbalanced taste. I'm sure this'll attract its fans, but it won't impress the discerning drinker and it's far from amongst the best beers in the style. I wouldn't recommend it to friends and trade partners per se, and I continue to be underwhelmed by Austin Beerworks.

C

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This was sent to me by the lovely JenRay in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) and I am grateful for the inclusion of such a beer! I dedicate this one to my good buddy, EO1 Robt. "Scotty-Bro" Scott, USN (Ret.), whose years at the helm of various pieces of heavy equipment have left him on 100% disability. Be well, bro!

From the CAN: "Seasonal IPA Series"; "CANned for Quality by Austin Beerworks LLC."; "Keep Cold & Drink Fresh"; "Only Available in Austin"; "This CAN contains Specialty IPA";

"Austin Beerworks suggests staying away from: Acetylene Torches, Backhoes, Chipper-Shredders, Dairy Milking Apparatus, Edible Underwear, Falcons, Godaddy (TM), Hydraulics, Ice Picks, JellO (TM), KFC (TM), Lederhosen, Micro-Gravity, Nail Guns, Oklahoma, Pilates Equipment, Quilting Hoops, Rubber Gloves, Sing-A-Longs, Teddy Ruxpin (TM), Unicycles, Vibrating Beds, Waffles, Xylophones, Yard Aerators, and Zambonis.";

"Also Do Not Operate: One-Armed Bandits, 2 Live Crew, Three-Legged Races, Four-Man Bobsleds, Five Gooolden Rings, Six Flags Fiesta (TM), Seven-Layer Dips, Eight Track Players, Nine-Pound Hammers, Ten-Gallon Hats or 20-sided die.";

"Best to Avoid: Carnival Rides, Novelty Condoms, The Machine That Makes Lines Down the Center of the Highway, Bras, the Flute, Fedoras (You Don't Look Cool), Animated GIFs, Original Lifetime (TM) Movies, Any Machine That CAN Juice a Carrot, The Fleshlight (TM), Speed-Dial, Dreamcatchers, Peppermills, Drill-Presses, Bench-Presses and Panini-Presses. Avoid ATVs, SUVs, GPS, DVRs, VCRs, ATMs, ACL, PYTs, or Activity That May Result in STDs. Do Not Attempt: Time Travel, Dressage, Declarations of Love, Eyebrow Tweezing, Bro-Tazing, and We CAN't Be More Serious About This One: Twitter (TM).";

"Never [:] Shake, Microwave, Leave Unattended, Drop It Like Its Hot, Put Baby in a Corner, Gonna Give You Up/Gonna Let You Down."

After all of those caveats, I CAN't tell what I should do! I am proceeding with the Crack!, resulting in the presentation of yet another brimful craft CAN. The Glug will not be inverted due to the CAN's size (16 fl. oz/355 ml), which has caused me difficulty in the past. I wound up with two fingers of foamy, tawny head with good retention. Color was a cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = > 17, < 22). Nose had a distinct pine-orange zest smell along with an underlying caramel maltiness. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops decided not to pay any attention to the warnings, breaking out a jackhammer and going to work on my poor, aching tongue, then running a grader along its length, just to ensure maximum penetration. I was beginning to sweat as I looked over at the sticky lacing that was beginning to form and I wondered if I might borrow that jackhammer later to remove it. The intensity of DIPAs CAN often be too much, even for me, but in this case, it had a really nice orange-citrus taste that seemed to cut through everything else. Finish was semi-dry with the caramel malt offsetting some of the hops' intensity. Phew! I am going to take a ChANce later and operate my Fleshlight (TM), but the rest of it may have to wait.

4.36/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Cottonwood in Houston. I am so glad I have a chance to try this...

A: Pours a hazed golden/copper color. A tightly packed, two finger white head forms with good retention. As the foam gently recedes, plenty of lace is left behind.
S: Big and bright hops up front and center. All the typical fruit aromas. Grapefruit, citrus, lemon, which are all great. Juicy tropical fruits. Everything is so perfume like. The aromatics are off the charts. Just a hint of sweetness as this warms. I can plant my nose in the glass all day.
T: A bit more pine and resinous hops up front in the taste. That quickly fades to more bright fruits, grapefruit and citrus as the big hitters. Tropical fruits of pineapple and mango even. Some sweetness for a bit of balance. Though finishes with a great clean and dry bite of more citrus/grapefruit hops. Incredibly complex, and spot on for the style.
M/D: A medium body that is very crisp and effervescent. Clean, dry, and very refreshing. The alcohol is not noticeable at all. Incredibly easy and so enjoyable to drink.

An excellent example of the style. I can't stand bitterness, just for bitterness sake. Which is a downfall of many DIPA's I have tried. This however has a lot of character, with a great dry and clean finish that makes me want to keep coming back for more. Austin Beerworks continues to make excellent beers. Highly recommended, from a non hop head.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Can (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, wagenvolks and xpimptastikx!

I'm not going to write a long review because I'm just going to kick my feet up and enjoy this fantastic DIPA. Without a doubt, the best DIPA I've had from the Midwest/South/Texas...whatever you want to call it. This stuff is super tasty and smells just as good: tons of grapefruit, pine, big bitterness, but really drinkable. I love this beer!

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%