Heavy Machinery Half IPA - Austin Beerworks

Beer added by: inlimbo77 on 07-26-2013

Ratings: 97 | Reviews: 6
Reviews by mwgroove23:
4.36/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It’s a more quaff-able IPA with an assertive hop flavor and full hop aroma. The Half IPA poured a crystal clear golden yellow with a substantial white head which made it appear very crisp and vibrant. The aroma was of dank and fruity hops that were strong and thick. The hop flavors are all upfront with some dank flavors a hint of citrus and tropical fruits that quickly fade and leave a light impression on our palate. For a Half IPA it takes you on a surprisingly deep hop ride from the aroma to the taste but stayed light on the palate hence a Half IPA.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

This drinks a bit like a session IPA. Light, smooth, and just the right amount of hops to be interesting. It subtle, but good.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can poured into a shaker pint glass. No date on the can but I know it is fresh as this beer was just released. Pours a crystal clear golden yellow color with a pillowing white foam head that fades quick, very appealing. Nice fresh hop scent, more pine dankness than fruit for me. This drinks like a solid IPA, I was expecting much lighter when I heard 1/2 IPA. Crisp, clean, and dry. So good and refreshing, yet so flavorful. It would be nice to see this added to their regular lineup but I think I heard the hops aren't available year round. That's a damn shame.

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Heavy Machinery Half IPA
Austin Beerworks
20130813
16oz can to modern pint
Canned around 07/16/13, bought 08/10/13

A – A very clear, slightly greenish, darkish gold. Spotty burnt white head. Bubbles rising lazily.

S – It smells like I’m between a tropical oasis and a super clean, vegetation only farm, which I really dig. Citrus and tropical fruits, with a pinch each of pine and floralness. I think the floralness can be described as similar to a lily. Light hop spices and a light malt sweetness that really lends itself to the fruits; the sweetness seems to comes more from the fruit than malt, as if the fruit was freshly cut up a few yards/meters away. Papaya, guava, some pineapple and orange, it’s quite amazing.

T – Wow, almost as good as the smell. Despite a bit less oomph, this one still punches like a pro. A lot of hop fruitiness and floralness, with some spices, and it’s pretty balanced. Mainly getting citrus and pine, with some grass. The flavor really comes out on the swallow and the aftertaste lingers with just the right amount of bitterness, and a good chunk of the flavor. In fact, the bitterness the whole time is very good. The flavor is supported by the bitterness, not obfuscated by it.

M – Heavy-light bodied, good amount of pep from the carbonation, especially on the swallow, though it’s never needle-like. A pretty wet finish, though the tip of the tongue and back of the mouth are dry, lending itself to a refreshing yet soothing feel.

D – I am fully digging this beer, like it’s the younger brother of the Enjoy By 7.4.13 that I really liked. I can see it being great in the morning, with most dinners, during a day of drinking (yard work, football, etc.), perhaps even as a perky night cap. Considering going to buy more before it’s gone, even though the place with it is quite a bit farther than my usual places. I want to have another and send a can to my friend in CA. I tried a sip from the can and even that tastes great, a solid 4, if not 4.25. For an APA, this is world class. It’s leagues above some great IPAs I’ve had. If this was not a one-off, I’d buy it regularly, which I only say very rarely.
4, 4.75, 4.75, 4.5, 4.75; 4.65.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a fascinating beer. I featured it on an episode of Locapour shot at Craft Pride in Austin. Watch the episode to experience it in full depth: http://locapour.tv/austin/austinbeerworkshalfipa

I call this beer fascinating because it presents on the front of the palate as a nice fresh pale ale but finishes with an almost musky taste that reminds me of sweat and working in a factory. Sounds weird I know but that's why I referred to it as a manly beer. You'll feel like doing manly stuff as soon as you start drinking it.

If you are looking for a new kind of summer beer I'd say give the Half IPA a go.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

16oz, July '13 release to Heavy Machinery lineup
The Bruery tulip

A: Epically clear golden yellow color. You can see right through this thing. Thin collar of bright white around the edges. Leaves some bites of lacing, but that is all.

S: Really pulling that Citra. Nice hints of tropical fruits. Citrus. Mango. Papaya. Bright fruits. The malt bill is really low here, definitely a session IPA (all nose).

T: Nice fruity bitterness right up front. Not overly aggressive. Tropical flavors from the Centennial and Citra hop additions. Thin malt bill keeps this one light. Crisp dry finish. Very drinkable. They hit the mark for what they were going for here.

M: Really light bodied. Delicious.

Heavy Machinery Half IPA from Austin Beerworks