Heavy Machinery Wet Hop IPA - Austin Beerworks

No picture uploaded.

Austin Beerworks visit their website
Texas, United States

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 09-27-2013)
Reviews by Fuzzycranium:
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Gotta love the trend of seasonal beers using the same upc and can. Smart move only having to change the name on the cardboard box!

The flavor of the hops was as though I were tasting more of the entire hop flower. Almost a sweetness among the hop/resin/aroma.

Fuzzycranium, Oct 04, 2013

Tiernan, Sep 29, 2013

zonker17, Sep 27, 2013

sfr26, Mar 16, 2014

jeisemann26, Jul 13, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Big_Dave, Aug 06, 2014
3.84/5  rDev -7.9%

16oz can from IAmJacksHopTongue (thanks Reid!). No canning date. Served in a Terrapin goblet.

Pours orangey gold with a finger and a half of near white head that creates a nice cap and leaves copious lace.

Smells of floral hops and citrus.

A good bit of sweet citrus hops in the taste. Mandarin, grapefruit, naval orange, slightly floral and a nice bready sweetness. Very little alcohol bite.

Slick medium body with peppy carbonation. Bittersweet citrus finish.

I appreciate the sweet orange citrus here but was surprised at how little bitterness was present. Still a nice wet hop. It may not be my favorite but I was happy to try it and recommend that fans of wet hop IPAs give it a shot if you come across it.

ThickNStout, Oct 30, 2013

atoulouk, Nov 05, 2013

StevenLaValley, Oct 31, 2013

BGsWo22, Oct 03, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Drank: 09/27/13

First let me state I drank from the can and from a glass, and while normally I enjoy drinking from glassware, I actually preferred this in the can.

Beautiful light orange, clear, white creamy head that had to be aggressively poured to get a one inch head. Not much head retention. Carbonation was a little less than preferred. Otherwise, my only small complaint.

Smell was pure bliss. It's that great citrusy hop aroma you get from great beers like Heady and Pliney. I want someone to make an air freshener with this smell. Its one of the freshest smelling beers I've had, and for good reason since it was distributed straight from the brewery on the same day of consumption.

Taste was light sweet malt, citrusy, a little grapefruit, and then a fair amount of bitterness. Not a pungent overwhelming bitterness, but a tad more than balanced, right in my wheelhouse. Good luck finding the 7% alcohol, as it's definitely well masked. It drinks like a sub 5%er. I was surprised at how fast I slammed 16oz, as I never wanted the taste to go away.

Mouthfeel was pretty much spot on for my enjoyment. Right about what you'd expect for the beer style.

Overall, Austin Beerworks has been killing it with these Heavy Machinery releases (these guys don't know how to make a bad beer. This one was no different. When I want an IPA, this is exactly what I look for. Great job guys.

Theortiz01, Sep 28, 2013

cyde, Oct 04, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Austin Beerworks has been absolutely killing it with their Heavy Machinery IPA series. I had the Black IPA at the brewery and the Double and Half IPA’s in the can and they have all been phenomenal. Now we have the Wet Hop IPA that is loaded with Centennial hops and is super tasty. The beer poured a deep gold with a full white head. There was a great hoppy aroma that was full of citrusy goodness. The taste followed those citrus notes with a great citrus flavor full of grapefruit that finished a bit dry but leaving a nice bitterness on my tongue. It was light, refreshing and thoroughly tasty. So far these Heavy Machinery IPA’s have all been excellent and I can’t wait for the next iteration.

brurevu, Sep 30, 2013

Tbrown60, 17 minutes ago

obrike, Sep 29, 2013

bbadger, Oct 05, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -29.7%

32 oz brown glass Lone Tree Brewing grumbler with screw-top cap acquired a couple days ago at The Growler Room in Austin, Texas for $8.00 USD and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given its current ratings (92); I haven't had enough from this brewery to really have an opinion on them. Reviewed as an IPA because it identifies as such in its name.

Served cold, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated (in spite of the fact that I'm serving it from a grumbler).

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a half finger wide head of beige colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. Poor frothiness. Tilting the glass yields some light lacing, but it doesn't really stick as much as it should. Head retention is poor - maybe 30 seconds at best.

Body colour is a clear translucent copper of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Appears undercarbonated.

Pretty standard fare for the style; not unique or special. No obvious flaws.

Sm: Definite floral hop presence with a kiss of lightly resinous grapefruit and accompanying fruity esters. Not piney or nectary. Caramalt, pale malts, pilsner malt. Has some malty sweetness, yielding a rough balance between sweetness and bitterness. A bit unrefined, but a generally appealing aroma. Above average in strength.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. For a wet hopped IPA, I anticipated a bit more depth and complexity - especially in terms of the hop profile. It's pretty one-dimensional judging by the aroma. Still, I'm looking forward to trying it.

T: Overdone hop bitterness is present throughout, and goes untamed in the third act, betraying a crude imbalance. Lavender, caramalt, pale malts, pilsner malts, flowers. Plenty of heavily floral hop character. Also a bit of grapefruit, but I wouldn't call it citrusy per se. Hop character is overwhelmingly floral and lacks a multifaceted or diverse profile. It also feels muted overall, lending it a flat bland taste. Imbalanced and by no means gestalt. Lacks complexity and subtlety. Comes down slightly on the sweet side for the first two acts, then shifts abruptly into the aforementioned unwelcome bitterness. It'd benefit from more of a resinous build.

Depth of flavour is quite shallow. High intensity of flavour. Average duration of flavour.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

Mf: One of the sharpest, most stinging textures I've come across in the last year. Assaulting and brutal on the palate. My upper lip registers noticeable pain when the beer contacts it. Has a biting vicious presence on the palate. Not at all soft or approachable. Overcarbonated (even from a growler). Nice thickness and body. Unrefreshing.

Not oily, gushed, hot, buttery, astringent, or boozy.

Dr: The stinging mouthfeel and imbalanced flavour profile reduce drinkability. Still, it's pretty downable albeit a bit numbingly bland. I hate to see breweries follow the trend of overhopping beers without regard for balance or subtlety, but I wouldn't call this a bad beer. Certainly a misguided one. I won't be getting it again and I wouldn't recommend it to friends or trade partners. As much as I wanted to love this beer - and justify supporting a local brewery - ultimately it's a tired trend-chasing IPA that won't stand the test of time. I wouldn't want another one, but I'll have little trouble finishing the growler. I suppose it could be priced worse. The wet hop gimmick is a good marketing trick, but I imagine as this beer is tried by more out-of-state reviewers and as it becomes more available, the rating will drop from its current point (92). Ultimately, this is pretty average stuff if we're being fair.

C