Heavy Machinery Wet Hop IPA - Austin Beerworks

No picture uploaded.

Austin Beerworks visit their website
Texas, United States

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 09-27-2013)
Reviews by ptickle:

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

3.84/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz can from IAmJacksHopTongue (thanks Reid!). No canning date. Served in a Terrapin goblet.

Pours orangey gold with a finger and a half of near white head that creates a nice cap and leaves copious lace.

Smells of floral hops and citrus.

A good bit of sweet citrus hops in the taste. Mandarin, grapefruit, naval orange, slightly floral and a nice bready sweetness. Very little alcohol bite.

Slick medium body with peppy carbonation. Bittersweet citrus finish.

I appreciate the sweet orange citrus here but was surprised at how little bitterness was present. Still a nice wet hop. It may not be my favorite but I was happy to try it and recommend that fans of wet hop IPAs give it a shot if you come across it.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank: 09/27/13

First let me state I drank from the can and from a glass, and while normally I enjoy drinking from glassware, I actually preferred this in the can.

Beautiful light orange, clear, white creamy head that had to be aggressively poured to get a one inch head. Not much head retention. Carbonation was a little less than preferred. Otherwise, my only small complaint.

Smell was pure bliss. It's that great citrusy hop aroma you get from great beers like Heady and Pliney. I want someone to make an air freshener with this smell. Its one of the freshest smelling beers I've had, and for good reason since it was distributed straight from the brewery on the same day of consumption.

Taste was light sweet malt, citrusy, a little grapefruit, and then a fair amount of bitterness. Not a pungent overwhelming bitterness, but a tad more than balanced, right in my wheelhouse. Good luck finding the 7% alcohol, as it's definitely well masked. It drinks like a sub 5%er. I was surprised at how fast I slammed 16oz, as I never wanted the taste to go away.

Mouthfeel was pretty much spot on for my enjoyment. Right about what you'd expect for the beer style.

Overall, Austin Beerworks has been killing it with these Heavy Machinery releases (these guys don't know how to make a bad beer. This one was no different. When I want an IPA, this is exactly what I look for. Great job guys.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Austin Beerworks has been absolutely killing it with their Heavy Machinery IPA series. I had the Black IPA at the brewery and the Double and Half IPA’s in the can and they have all been phenomenal. Now we have the Wet Hop IPA that is loaded with Centennial hops and is super tasty. The beer poured a deep gold with a full white head. There was a great hoppy aroma that was full of citrusy goodness. The taste followed those citrus notes with a great citrus flavor full of grapefruit that finished a bit dry but leaving a nice bitterness on my tongue. It was light, refreshing and thoroughly tasty. So far these Heavy Machinery IPA’s have all been excellent and I can’t wait for the next iteration.

4.44/5  rDev +6.5%