1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 Triple ExportSteel Reserve 211 Triple Export

poor

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

(Beer added by: GCBrewingCo on 12-05-2005)

bcp5296d, Apr 24, 2014

deadhero, Jun 24, 2012
1.05/5  rDev -58%

Poured from a 24-oz. can into my Terrapin pint glass, which must now be destroyed.

What the fuck.

Appearance: Pale, clear yellow. Frothy head diminishes within seconds. Bubbles never stop floating up to the top. I don't know if that's a good thing. I'll go with 'no'. But I expected this to look even worse than it does, so....

Smell: You know how beers usually smell better once they've left their original container and entered a glass? Imagine the opposite. Yes, I detect some malt and hops here, but they're stale and pissy. Note to the brewers: don't use the same hops to make a beer that only moments before you sprayed with your little wieners.

Taste: Bitter, high-alpha hops and a refreshing backbone of biscuit-like malts, with an interesting - nah, just kidding, haha. The finest malt and hops were marinaded by and percolated in only the choicest dying man's urine. Seriously, if this were room temperature, that's all you'd think it was. Sour and alcoholic tinkle.

Mouthfeel: Could stand in for Canada Dry if your local Piggly Wiggly happens to run out.

Drinkability: Immediately after I finish this review, I am going to pour the contents of this glass and what's left in the can down the sink. Then I will install a new sink.

I like their boasting on the can, though. That's actually what pushed me to buy this. I agree with them, too. One of the very finest beers in the world.

Heh.

Thiestru, May 20, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -50%

Woody's doing the CAN-CAN today, CAN anybody tell?

Woof, did I ever get a blast of fusel off of this one! Shazam! Holy Don't Light a Match, Batman! Okay, operators and fire extinguishers are now standing by; I am wrapped in a fire retardant blanket; and the beer is in a glass, shimmering at the top from evaporative fumes. I initially noted two fingers' worth of bone-white head, but in the scramble to keep the house from erupting in a paroxysm of flame, it settled into wisps. The nose was reminiscent of the time that my buddy, Fat Ron Thompson, said in his whiskey and cigarette-seared voice, "Yo, Wood, pass me the keys! I'm gonna go over to the fuel dump and gas up the deuce-and-a-half." Being as I had nothing else going and I had never been to the fuel dump, I rode along. Big mistake! Unless you just like the smell of fossil fuel in all of its wonderous forms, this would not be the place for a casual ride-along. My gorge rose upon smelling this beer. It was fit only for propelling motor vehicles. The color was pretty, though. It looked like a sample from the pump - only a few bubbles, a bright golden yellow ... gasoline! Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was less fusel than the nose, but not by a wide margin. I could taste a faint sugariness, but nothing like its counterpart. This was bad news, but from a whole 'nother direction. Finish left me gasping for air. Man, I felt my liver banging on my ribs, my heart was pounding, my hands were shaking ... Out-friggin'-standing! All I needed now was some crack and a whore or maybe just a crack whore to really remind me of what the high life for a low life was all about. Sheesh! Eek, I still have a half-a-CAN left and The CANQuest (TM) Code forbids me from conducting a Drain Pour! Oh, no.

From the CAN: "Slow brewed in limited batches, using only the finest malted barley & selected hops, we believe this to be among the very best beers in the world." Really?!? Do they also believe in the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny? How about buying the Brooklyn Bridge from me, cheap? "Slow brewed for exceptionally smooth flavor". Zounds!

woodychandler, May 09, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -50%

Could possibly drink if there was nothing else.

FippyDarkpaw, Sep 03, 2014

steelreserve69, May 27, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -40%

Oh man, what was I thinking? I have had regular 211 and it was average for the style but this is borderline undrinkable. The appearance is a fizzy yellow headless hell. The smell is a sweet-sour rotton corn smell. The taste is like rotting corn with a slight bourbon-like finish. The mouthfeel is one of the worst I have ever had. This stuff burns going down like moonshine. I will never drink one of these again. In fact, there is still half a can in my fridge if anyone is interested.

Enola, Jan 30, 2006

djrn2, Aug 31, 2013
1.65/5  rDev -34%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I got into a car accident on my way home. I needed a drink. I reached into my fridge, hoping to find a friend in these toubled times, and when I withdrew my hand, it was holding steel reserve 211 triple export. Pure ghetto juice, baby.

First of all, what does "triple export" mean, exactly? Is it a reference to how many times they tried, and failed, to deport this unwholesome concoction? I'd buy that.

The can goes on to say "...we believe this to be one of the finest beers in the world." The only thing that I can infer from such a statement is that the steel brewing companies' measure of quality is very closely related to the level of alcohol content in their products.

Ok, let's get on with this....

I felt like like putting lipstick on a pig, so I poured it from the huge 24oz. can into my dimpled stein.

A - Urine, from a dehydration victim. The head was huge, and sudsy, and gone. Sparse film left behind actually reinforced the whole urine image.

S - This is literally the first beverage of any variety that I could smell in the exact instant that the seal of the can was cracked. It was like mini scent seeking missiles shot up my nose in a direct assault on my olfactory bulb. Ouch. I get this vague foreboding of things to come.... Fruity esters, weird, funkdefied, hoppy, malty chaos. It's like an adjective bloodbath.

T - Holy Mother of Christ. I am glad I cut my "malt liquor" teeth on what others esteem as "not horrible." When I describe a beer, I clear my mind, and as I am taking my first sip, I always try to include the first impression or phrase that comes to mind in my review. In honor of that tradition, I am now obligated to use the phrase "snake venom" in my taste section. Apart from that bold factor, there are hot, sweet, rotted fruit gnomes gang banging my taste buds right now. There is nothing remotely subtle about this beer. There are so many flavors, all wrong, that are competing for my attention, I'm almost prompted to go into fight or flight mode.

M - Ouch. Someone shot me in the mouth with an airsoft pistol. Ten thousand times. Oh wait. That's the carbonation.

D - I understand that there are people in the world that can drink these like water. I also understand that there are people who engage in sexual acts with barnyard type animals. I fall into neither of these two personality types, and would discourage anyone from attempting either.

Beernoisseur, Dec 13, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -30%

warpedrevolution, Apr 14, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -30%

KYboymatt, Oct 24, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -26%

24 fl oz. can. Bottom of the can says March 11, 2013 so I might be a couple days late, not that it will matter much. I can say with assurance that I wasn't a fan of the regular Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity, and am not expecting much more from this outing. No one seems to know what Triple Export means, but the label exclaims " we believe this to be among the very best beers in the world". I really only bought this as a joke for a friend and I, and to make change for a $20 bill.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours about two fingers of thin bubbly carbonated white head, audibly sizzling away. Clear sparkling adjunctive lager gold color. Even manages to retain the tiniest bit of thin lacing.

S - Smells of chemically treated corn kernels and malts. Carbonated yeasty champagne sort of tingle.

T - Still carbonated. Still bloating. Still tastes like corn, although it has a *different* corn type flavor, if that makes any sense at all. Still retains that thick artificial cherry syrup like sweetness that the regular Stell Reserve 211 High Gravity had, although not as intense and in your face. Definitely more corn / grain presence in this beer, I will give it that.

M - Thin. Watery. Artificial sweetness. Carbonated.

Overall, it's probably safe to say that I won't consider buying either Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity or Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export ever again. In the already over-crowded, retched realm of American malt liquor and American adjunct lagers, these two are among some of the worst I've had so far. However, this beer is not nearly as bad as it's companion brew, but there are still far better choices out there if you're looking for that quick buzz.

Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export ---2/5.

mfnmbvp, Mar 21, 2013
1.98/5  rDev -20.8%

$1.39 a 24oz can here in Durham NC at Krogers...20 cents off on sale.

shotgunned from said 24oz can and one drank normally.

we only have 6.0% Steel Reserve 211 (silver label) here and its NOTHING like the 8.1% or this.

Triple Export is what youd expect from the silver version...it kicks your ass,its cheap and it tastes pretty foul when it heats up.

nothing really special to report...if you hate high gravity lagers that slap you in the face, dont go here...this is barely better than silver label 8.1%...if Hurricane High Gravity is in your area...id get that instead.

netrioter, Jul 20, 2012

Falcone, Jun 04, 2012

ABVerageJoe, Dec 28, 2011

Another malt liquor poured into my big Paulaner mug (how funny of me)

A - Golden crystal clear yellow with bright fluffy head that dissipates in an instant.

S - Metallic body odor smell....and...not much else.

T - Very sweet taste upfront with a long drawn out bitter/boozy taste towards the end.

M - Light bodied and not watery. Not bad on the mouthfeel

D - If not for the b.o. smell, this wouldn't be too bad...but it's just pretty overpowering

Transatlantic, Oct 23, 2010

th3d1ck, Aug 13, 2014

runawaycyborg, Sep 19, 2013

BigTrubble, Nov 28, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -18%

Grabbed a 24 oz. can of this at the local Kroger, partly because it was $1.24. This was the kind of beer that the Women's Temperance Union warned would cause everyone in North Carolina to become hopelessly addicted if the 6% ABV cap was lifted. Let's find out!

Appearance: Poured into a large dimpled glass German mug. I almost feel like I need to apologize to the mug. The beer is only slightly above pale yellow in color. The initial two finger fluffy head vanishes almost immediately. No lacing. In a moment, it hardly looks like beer anymore, more like yellow Kool-Aid.

Smell: Cotton candy and creamed corn, with a slightly sour note.

Taste: First comes something like Karo syrup, followed quickly by something reminiscent of one of those yellow sourball candies, finishing with a metallic whang. I feel the need to check the can to make sure that it really does say "beer" somewhere and not "Malt Beverage" or "Fuel Additive".

Mouthfeel: Mostly carbonation, but at least it feels like beer in the mouth.

Drinkability: Does "drinkability" mean pouring the beer into a big funnel attached to a hose that is pointing into your mouth? That's about the only way I'd ever want to have one of these again -- just get it past my taste buds as quickly as possible before they are somehow damaged by this beer.

BitterLover, Feb 07, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -18%

A - Poured a golden color with a white head that dissipates quickly

S - Is of bad corny malt and other bad scents

T - Not so good corny malt and over all bad

M - This beer has fairly light carbonation

D - This will be the last time I drink this malt beverage but if you want to get drunk quick for cheap this is for you

armock, Jan 26, 2008
2.08/5  rDev -16.8%

My girlfriend wanted something to drink, so I got dressed and headed to the convenience store at nearly midnight to grab her a soda. I wanted a beer, and I had a Samuel Adams Holiday Porter sitting in the fridge at her house that I could've enjoyed. But then I spotted Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export in the cooler at the store, laughed and remembered the horrible things I'd heard about 211, and grabbed a 24 oz. can for $1.29. Quite a steal (pun intended).

Poured what the Steel Brewing Company believes "to be one of the finest beers in the world" into a mug.

Straw yellow in color with a slight, creamy white cap of foam. The head lingers briefly and leaves a few straps of lacing on the glass as it (uneasily) goes down.

Creamed corn, rotten vegetables, sweet molasses and booze attack the nose in a fit of unpleasantry.

Fairly thick on the tongue, coating the palate with notes of sweet malt, cereal, corn, a middling pinch of bitter hops, and a long, drawn-out fusel alcohol burn that carries through into a dry, dry finish. As the beer warms a little, the alcohol presence becomes overpowering, nearly rendering it undrinkable.

It's a good thing that this brew is high in alcohol content and comes in a big can that can be downed quickly for a good buzz, because it certainly isn't a sipper and letting it warm ever so slightly brings its horrid fusels to the foreground. Everything about this beer is laughable from a true appreciator of beer, as the company titles it "Triple Export," as if it has some high status as an export beer, moving on to describe the production process and the high quality of ingredients, and finishing their lauding with the statement already mentioned earlier. My girlfriend's cat, who will eat and drink pretty much anything, couldn't even stand this stuff. This is nothing but a beer to bomb, not some masterpiece of brewing ingenuity.

superdedooperboy, Jan 22, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -16%

Poured from 24oz can into a pint glass. This is the final of the Steel offerings I'm sampling today.

Appearance: medium gold with no haze and a moderate effervescence. Head is a thin layer of fizzy white foam which dissipated quickly. Looks exactly like regular 211.

Smell: sweet malt with a little bit of a plastic finish. It may just be my imagination, but it seems a very little bit maltier than regular 211.

Taste: sweet, but somehow with a bit of a toastier character. That plastic is in at the end, but less so I think than regular 211. The sweetness comes through a little bit more, though, it seems.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with lots of fizziness. Uninteresting.

Overall: I don't think I could place this either above or below standard 211. They're both pretty awful.

flagmantho, Aug 31, 2014
2.18/5  rDev -12.8%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate amounts of active carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some faint golden yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy white head that quickly reduces to a thin film covering the entire surface of the beer pretty evenly and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of grainy malts with some moderate corn adjuncts as well. There is something slightly metallic/medicinal in the smell of this beer as well...and it is not really pleasant.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of grainy malts with a light to moderate amount of corn adjuncts. Light hints of sweetness but in an almost artificial way (like with high fructose corn syrup). That is followed by the lightest hint of herbal hops and moderate flavors of alcohol + metal. Not a pleasant flavor and there is a light amount of lingering bitterness.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery with some light amounts of alcohol warming in the finish.

O: While the Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) had some decent flavor to it, this version is just plain awful - the alcohol is not well hidden and is reminiscent of jet fuel and there is a strange metallic presence as well. I would not get this one again for any reason.

dbrauneis, Oct 17, 2013
2.23/5  rDev -10.8%

Ok I did not pour this down the sink. The brew looks ok really, it's a cheap beer with some color to it, a deeper amber than usual, foaming 1 inch head that goes to nothing. Not much smell. Taste is odd and medicinal. This brew affects the head very quickly and in a way that really cheap wines I've only ever drunk once in my youth did. Other beers may have a higher ABV but this hits too fast.

srrn, Nov 03, 2008