Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 Triple ExportSteel Reserve 211 Triple Export

poor

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

(Beer added by: GCBrewingCo on 12-05-2005)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
ElCommodoro

3.73/5  rDev +47.4%

Finally got my hands on this one! Don't know why, but I only know one gas station that carries it in my area. I like to check everywhere I encounter to see what minor variations in selection they have, and this just popped up out of nowhere. Wasn't expecting to ever find it.
The smell is sweet and not unlike other malt liquors, but the taste is unlike anything I've ever had in a malt liquor before. I'm surprised the reviews aren't higher because this is clearly an attempt at changing up malt liquor for the beer connoisseur. It tastes STRONGLY of yeast, like it was bottle conditioned. Or, I guess, can conditioned in this case. It takes a lot away from the sweetness and the thinness that is the status quo in malt liquors. As a fan of some malt liquors, I'm not sure if I like this significant departure, but as a fan of quads, I enjoy it. So, I'm torn as to whether it's really OK for it to be somewhere in between. It is so far from what I was expecting. It's like someone tried to make a lager into a quad with really low quality ingredients, but with plenty of know-how nonetheless. Strange, but enjoyable. I think I'm going to have to rate it pretty highly. One problem is that it's not as refreshing as other malt liquors or as quads because it lacks that fruity quality. It's just pure yeast flavour. It retains a bit of that chemical flavour of regular Steel Reserve, but the yeast covers it up pretty well. Weird, wild stuff and definitely quite different from ordinary silver-canned Steel Reserve.

02-08-2013 07:54:39 | More by ElCommodoro
BigTrubble

11-28-2012 01:42:00 | More by BigTrubble
tone77

2.8/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Lots of carbonation. Smell is big on corn, some other grains, maybe hay. Taste is corn, some alcohol and grains, a touch of malts. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while I wouldn't want a steady diet of it, considering the abv and price point, it's not the worst malt liquor out there.

11-13-2012 00:50:30 | More by tone77
BucBasil

South Carolina

2.35/5  rDev -7.1%

Another in my series of terrible beers. This one says that "we believe this to be one of the very best beers in the world." Having had some of the best beers in the world, I can't wait to see how this stacks up.

Poured from the tall can into a pilsner glass. Not much to look at. Golden with little head.

Smell: Not to much to be had. Corn sweetness and some grain over metal.

Taste: Very sickly sweet corn flavor with a bit of medicine going down. There is a slight yeasty tang to it. Has an old vegetables must to it as well that just barely covers up the huge alcohol punch at the end.

Overall: Not a very good way to get a buzz here. The ABV indeed is pretty killer, but choking it down to get there is not too pleasant. There are easier ways to accomplish this, even with cheap malt liquors. That being said, this is one of the cheapest I've seen, soooo there's that.

09-07-2012 22:01:46 | More by BucBasil
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.25/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export has a thick, stark-white head and a clear, somewhat bubbly, golden appearance, with almost no lacing left behind. The aroma is funky, meaning sickly-sweet grain husk. The taste is rich and bold: sweet grain, minimal hop bitterness, corn, and sugar. The mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export finishes crisp and mildly refreshing. It's gameyness limits its drinkability. This is interesting and even good. I say it is at least worth trying.

RJT

07-20-2012 15:32:05 | More by RonaldTheriot
netrioter

1.98/5  rDev -21.7%

$1.39 a 24oz can here in Durham NC at Krogers...20 cents off on sale.

shotgunned from said 24oz can and one drank normally.

we only have 6.0% Steel Reserve 211 (silver label) here and its NOTHING like the 8.1% or this.

Triple Export is what youd expect from the silver version...it kicks your ass,its cheap and it tastes pretty foul when it heats up.

nothing really special to report...if you hate high gravity lagers that slap you in the face, dont go here...this is barely better than silver label 8.1%...if Hurricane High Gravity is in your area...id get that instead.

07-20-2012 09:16:11 | More by netrioter
tdm168

2.7/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A small amount was poured into a juice glass for appearance and aroma. The rest was consumed from the can.

A - copper gold with a large, dense, frothy, pure white head that has great retention

S - warm, metal, corn, grains

T - corn, grains, warm, alcohol, sweet, metal

M - medium bodied, warm, smooth, decently carbonated

I'm basing this purely on style. The appearance was quite nice but everything else was quite typical. It's cheap and it'll get you a buzz. Otherwise avoid.

Note: The can claims "We believe this to be among the very best beers in the world." That's disconcerting.

06-30-2012 01:34:08 | More by tdm168

ABVerageJoe

12-28-2011 23:30:23 | More by ABVerageJoe
raoulduke25

2.42/5  rDev -4.3%

I have to rate this beer more on overall than any of its components. Why? Because, it's nothing to look at, nothing to smell or feel, and the taste is barely tolerable. But in this economic climate, it makes sense that such a beer would be a bestseller. Why? I'll tell you.

1) If you're buying Steel Reserve Triple Export, you're not in it for the taste or appearance. You want a buzz plain and simple. This beer delivers.

2) If you're buying Steel Reserve Triple Export, you're not in it for the smell or the mouthfeel. You're in it for the buzz, period. This beer delivers.

Nothing about this beer says, "Share this with your friends." Nothing says that you should buy it for parties or hand it out at family gatherings. But for what it offers, it delivers. If you need a buzz and a bowel movement, this is your choice for ninety-nine cents. Nothing else can offer so much for so little.

08-10-2011 04:04:31 | More by raoulduke25
Transatlantic

Tennessee

Another malt liquor poured into my big Paulaner mug (how funny of me)

A - Golden crystal clear yellow with bright fluffy head that dissipates in an instant.

S - Metallic body odor smell....and...not much else.

T - Very sweet taste upfront with a long drawn out bitter/boozy taste towards the end.

M - Light bodied and not watery. Not bad on the mouthfeel

D - If not for the b.o. smell, this wouldn't be too bad...but it's just pretty overpowering

10-23-2010 22:17:43 | More by Transatlantic
womencantsail

2.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thank you to Jacob for sharing this whale of a malt liquor.

A: The pour is a crystal clear yellow color with a short lived but initially fluffy white head.

S: Oh yeah, sweet corn, rice, and apple juice all the way on this bad boy. A bit of a grain/malt aroma too, which was surprising.

T: Grain husks, corn, rice, and overly sweet apples. Some extra high fructose corn syrup for good measure, too. Maybe a bit of alcohol, too.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty much what you expect for a malt liquor: thin and fizzy.

D: Surprisingly, not as awful as I was anticipating (given Steel Reserve's infamous reputation). I'd still rather have some Stack or Haffenreffer Private Stock, son.

09-08-2010 02:57:12 | More by womencantsail
troobie

2.45/5  rDev -3.2%

I'm quite familiar with Steel Reserve (AKA Silver Label) and getting to sample and compare its harder to find brother, Steel Reserve Triple Export (AKA Black Label), is very fun for me. I can only get silver label in my area, but boy can I get it. 40's, 24's, 16's, and 12 packs. Yee-hah!

Straight out of the can. I also picked up a few 40's of this as well. I expect they will taste slightly better. I'm saving them to do a back to back silver/black tasting.

No smell? This is a very cold can; too cold. I'm getting alcohol and grain. There is a sweet smell but it is not up to the level of the Silver Label. There is a high gravity grapeyness that is not at all present in Silver Label. Think Camo but not as strong. That grapeyness is off-putting and reminds me of 10%+ ABV high gravity malts.

Wow. Yep, this is labeled as beer and not rubbing alcohol. Maybe my palate is just off tonight. Nothing but alcohol. My throat, and stomach, are warm now. I'm definitely not a stranger to malts and high grav's, but wow. I guess all that sweetness in the Silver Label is covering up the harshness of the alcohol? This is only an 8.1% ABV high gravity and this much alcohol seems out of place. I can taste the 211 in this. Definitely from the same family. This Black Label is trying to be smoother. The taste is less in your face, except for the alcohol. Less bitey, less sweet. As it warms I'm getting more grain and less alcohol. This is also much drier than the Silver Label. Alcohol, alcohol, a little sweetness, grain, and done.

Low on carbonation. Too low. Silver Label has always been foamy but the carbonation starts off higher. This seems less of both. More carbonation would help.

I'd probably just step up to Night Train of Cisco given the opportunity. Not given the opportunity, SILVER LABEL IS A MUCH BETTER CHOICE!

Bottom line: mix 12 ounces of Camo Silver and 12 ounces of 211 Silver Label and you get this.

I am disappointed. I look forward to trying this again as I think something is off in this review. It may be me. I've had this once before I remember being impressed?

07-18-2010 09:15:45 | More by troobie
Thiestru

1.05/5  rDev -58.5%

Poured from a 24-oz. can into my Terrapin pint glass, which must now be destroyed.

What the fuck.

Appearance: Pale, clear yellow. Frothy head diminishes within seconds. Bubbles never stop floating up to the top. I don't know if that's a good thing. I'll go with 'no'. But I expected this to look even worse than it does, so....

Smell: You know how beers usually smell better once they've left their original container and entered a glass? Imagine the opposite. Yes, I detect some malt and hops here, but they're stale and pissy. Note to the brewers: don't use the same hops to make a beer that only moments before you sprayed with your little wieners.

Taste: Bitter, high-alpha hops and a refreshing backbone of biscuit-like malts, with an interesting - nah, just kidding, haha. The finest malt and hops were marinaded by and percolated in only the choicest dying man's urine. Seriously, if this were room temperature, that's all you'd think it was. Sour and alcoholic tinkle.

Mouthfeel: Could stand in for Canada Dry if your local Piggly Wiggly happens to run out.

Drinkability: Immediately after I finish this review, I am going to pour the contents of this glass and what's left in the can down the sink. Then I will install a new sink.

I like their boasting on the can, though. That's actually what pushed me to buy this. I agree with them, too. One of the very finest beers in the world.

Heh.

05-20-2010 01:36:30 | More by Thiestru
woodychandler

1.25/5  rDev -50.6%

Woody's doing the CAN-CAN today, CAN anybody tell?

Woof, did I ever get a blast of fusel off of this one! Shazam! Holy Don't Light a Match, Batman! Okay, operators and fire extinguishers are now standing by; I am wrapped in a fire retardant blanket; and the beer is in a glass, shimmering at the top from evaporative fumes. I initially noted two fingers' worth of bone-white head, but in the scramble to keep the house from erupting in a paroxysm of flame, it settled into wisps. The nose was reminiscent of the time that my buddy, Fat Ron Thompson, said in his whiskey and cigarette-seared voice, "Yo, Wood, pass me the keys! I'm gonna go over to the fuel dump and gas up the deuce-and-a-half." Being as I had nothing else going and I had never been to the fuel dump, I rode along. Big mistake! Unless you just like the smell of fossil fuel in all of its wonderous forms, this would not be the place for a casual ride-along. My gorge rose upon smelling this beer. It was fit only for propelling motor vehicles. The color was pretty, though. It looked like a sample from the pump - only a few bubbles, a bright golden yellow ... gasoline! Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was less fusel than the nose, but not by a wide margin. I could taste a faint sugariness, but nothing like its counterpart. This was bad news, but from a whole 'nother direction. Finish left me gasping for air. Man, I felt my liver banging on my ribs, my heart was pounding, my hands were shaking ... Out-friggin'-standing! All I needed now was some crack and a whore or maybe just a crack whore to really remind me of what the high life for a low life was all about. Sheesh! Eek, I still have a half-a-CAN left and The CANQuest (TM) Code forbids me from conducting a Drain Pour! Oh, no.

From the CAN: "Slow brewed in limited batches, using only the finest malted barley & selected hops, we believe this to be among the very best beers in the world." Really?!? Do they also believe in the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny? How about buying the Brooklyn Bridge from me, cheap? "Slow brewed for exceptionally smooth flavor". Zounds!

05-09-2010 20:41:27 | More by woodychandler
wesbrownyeah

2.3/5  rDev -9.1%

Stell Reserve 211 Triple Export... a smack in the face 8.1% alcohol. Found this in a gas station in Charlette NC. Figured i'd give it a try. Poured into my German Becker.

A- Pours a light-medium yellow with active head that falls to light froth and maybe a dab of lacing.

S- Mild doses of booze come through sweet corn syrup and metallic grains.

T-M- Wow... thick alcohol coats the tongue and sweet corn flavor dominates. Light grains and metallic notes follow. Water feel but with a alcohol burn.

D- I gets the job done but with nothing to brag about.

04-22-2010 19:20:52 | More by wesbrownyeah
industrialswill

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +73.1%

I'm surprised to see the [lowly] consensus opinion about this beer. This was the first time I had ever seen it on sale and I tried a 24 ouncer. After comparing labels with the silver canned swill, I was left wondering what the difference would be. I drank mine straight from the can, so my appearance rating is based on the beautiful art work on the can...
I think this tastes smoother than the silver 211. Like comparing a filtered cigarette to a Lucky Strike. When I'm in the mood for a cheap malt liquor, this one will be at the top of my list.

02-22-2010 03:37:48 | More by industrialswill
Cyberkedi

2.33/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a so-so clear straw yellow with a fairly thick but not persistent white head. Aroma is crisp and malty, fairly strong but nothing to enter on your blog. Flavor is malty and crisp, slightly sour, slightly sweet. Texture is smooth, a little on the watery side, just a bit tingly. Not too shabby, but I doubt I'll be seeking this one out.

09-24-2009 00:48:07 | More by Cyberkedi
BitterLover

2.05/5  rDev -19%

Grabbed a 24 oz. can of this at the local Kroger, partly because it was $1.24. This was the kind of beer that the Women's Temperance Union warned would cause everyone in North Carolina to become hopelessly addicted if the 6% ABV cap was lifted. Let's find out!

Appearance: Poured into a large dimpled glass German mug. I almost feel like I need to apologize to the mug. The beer is only slightly above pale yellow in color. The initial two finger fluffy head vanishes almost immediately. No lacing. In a moment, it hardly looks like beer anymore, more like yellow Kool-Aid.

Smell: Cotton candy and creamed corn, with a slightly sour note.

Taste: First comes something like Karo syrup, followed quickly by something reminiscent of one of those yellow sourball candies, finishing with a metallic whang. I feel the need to check the can to make sure that it really does say "beer" somewhere and not "Malt Beverage" or "Fuel Additive".

Mouthfeel: Mostly carbonation, but at least it feels like beer in the mouth.

Drinkability: Does "drinkability" mean pouring the beer into a big funnel attached to a hose that is pointing into your mouth? That's about the only way I'd ever want to have one of these again -- just get it past my taste buds as quickly as possible before they are somehow damaged by this beer.

02-07-2009 05:28:44 | More by BitterLover
superdedooperboy

2.08/5  rDev -17.8%

My girlfriend wanted something to drink, so I got dressed and headed to the convenience store at nearly midnight to grab her a soda. I wanted a beer, and I had a Samuel Adams Holiday Porter sitting in the fridge at her house that I could've enjoyed. But then I spotted Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export in the cooler at the store, laughed and remembered the horrible things I'd heard about 211, and grabbed a 24 oz. can for $1.29. Quite a steal (pun intended).

Poured what the Steel Brewing Company believes "to be one of the finest beers in the world" into a mug.

Straw yellow in color with a slight, creamy white cap of foam. The head lingers briefly and leaves a few straps of lacing on the glass as it (uneasily) goes down.

Creamed corn, rotten vegetables, sweet molasses and booze attack the nose in a fit of unpleasantry.

Fairly thick on the tongue, coating the palate with notes of sweet malt, cereal, corn, a middling pinch of bitter hops, and a long, drawn-out fusel alcohol burn that carries through into a dry, dry finish. As the beer warms a little, the alcohol presence becomes overpowering, nearly rendering it undrinkable.

It's a good thing that this brew is high in alcohol content and comes in a big can that can be downed quickly for a good buzz, because it certainly isn't a sipper and letting it warm ever so slightly brings its horrid fusels to the foreground. Everything about this beer is laughable from a true appreciator of beer, as the company titles it "Triple Export," as if it has some high status as an export beer, moving on to describe the production process and the high quality of ingredients, and finishing their lauding with the statement already mentioned earlier. My girlfriend's cat, who will eat and drink pretty much anything, couldn't even stand this stuff. This is nothing but a beer to bomb, not some masterpiece of brewing ingenuity.

01-22-2009 18:44:53 | More by superdedooperboy
Beernoisseur

Utah

1.65/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I got into a car accident on my way home. I needed a drink. I reached into my fridge, hoping to find a friend in these toubled times, and when I withdrew my hand, it was holding steel reserve 211 triple export. Pure ghetto juice, baby.

First of all, what does "triple export" mean, exactly? Is it a reference to how many times they tried, and failed, to deport this unwholesome concoction? I'd buy that.

The can goes on to say "...we believe this to be one of the finest beers in the world." The only thing that I can infer from such a statement is that the steel brewing companies' measure of quality is very closely related to the level of alcohol content in their products.

Ok, let's get on with this....

I felt like like putting lipstick on a pig, so I poured it from the huge 24oz. can into my dimpled stein.

A - Urine, from a dehydration victim. The head was huge, and sudsy, and gone. Sparse film left behind actually reinforced the whole urine image.

S - This is literally the first beverage of any variety that I could smell in the exact instant that the seal of the can was cracked. It was like mini scent seeking missiles shot up my nose in a direct assault on my olfactory bulb. Ouch. I get this vague foreboding of things to come.... Fruity esters, weird, funkdefied, hoppy, malty chaos. It's like an adjective bloodbath.

T - Holy Mother of Christ. I am glad I cut my "malt liquor" teeth on what others esteem as "not horrible." When I describe a beer, I clear my mind, and as I am taking my first sip, I always try to include the first impression or phrase that comes to mind in my review. In honor of that tradition, I am now obligated to use the phrase "snake venom" in my taste section. Apart from that bold factor, there are hot, sweet, rotted fruit gnomes gang banging my taste buds right now. There is nothing remotely subtle about this beer. There are so many flavors, all wrong, that are competing for my attention, I'm almost prompted to go into fight or flight mode.

M - Ouch. Someone shot me in the mouth with an airsoft pistol. Ten thousand times. Oh wait. That's the carbonation.

D - I understand that there are people in the world that can drink these like water. I also understand that there are people who engage in sexual acts with barnyard type animals. I fall into neither of these two personality types, and would discourage anyone from attempting either.

12-13-2008 03:24:46 | More by Beernoisseur