Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 Triple ExportSteel Reserve 211 Triple Export

poor

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

(Beer added by: GCBrewingCo on 12-05-2005)
2.3/5  rDev -8%

Stell Reserve 211 Triple Export... a smack in the face 8.1% alcohol. Found this in a gas station in Charlette NC. Figured i'd give it a try. Poured into my German Becker.

A- Pours a light-medium yellow with active head that falls to light froth and maybe a dab of lacing.

S- Mild doses of booze come through sweet corn syrup and metallic grains.

T-M- Wow... thick alcohol coats the tongue and sweet corn flavor dominates. Light grains and metallic notes follow. Water feel but with a alcohol burn.

D- I gets the job done but with nothing to brag about.

4.38/5  rDev +75.2%

I'm surprised to see the [lowly] consensus opinion about this beer. This was the first time I had ever seen it on sale and I tried a 24 ouncer. After comparing labels with the silver canned swill, I was left wondering what the difference would be. I drank mine straight from the can, so my appearance rating is based on the beautiful art work on the can...
I think this tastes smoother than the silver 211. Like comparing a filtered cigarette to a Lucky Strike. When I'm in the mood for a cheap malt liquor, this one will be at the top of my list.

2.33/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a so-so clear straw yellow with a fairly thick but not persistent white head. Aroma is crisp and malty, fairly strong but nothing to enter on your blog. Flavor is malty and crisp, slightly sour, slightly sweet. Texture is smooth, a little on the watery side, just a bit tingly. Not too shabby, but I doubt I'll be seeking this one out.

2.05/5  rDev -18%

Grabbed a 24 oz. can of this at the local Kroger, partly because it was $1.24. This was the kind of beer that the Women's Temperance Union warned would cause everyone in North Carolina to become hopelessly addicted if the 6% ABV cap was lifted. Let's find out!

Appearance: Poured into a large dimpled glass German mug. I almost feel like I need to apologize to the mug. The beer is only slightly above pale yellow in color. The initial two finger fluffy head vanishes almost immediately. No lacing. In a moment, it hardly looks like beer anymore, more like yellow Kool-Aid.

Smell: Cotton candy and creamed corn, with a slightly sour note.

Taste: First comes something like Karo syrup, followed quickly by something reminiscent of one of those yellow sourball candies, finishing with a metallic whang. I feel the need to check the can to make sure that it really does say "beer" somewhere and not "Malt Beverage" or "Fuel Additive".

Mouthfeel: Mostly carbonation, but at least it feels like beer in the mouth.

Drinkability: Does "drinkability" mean pouring the beer into a big funnel attached to a hose that is pointing into your mouth? That's about the only way I'd ever want to have one of these again -- just get it past my taste buds as quickly as possible before they are somehow damaged by this beer.

2.08/5  rDev -16.8%

My girlfriend wanted something to drink, so I got dressed and headed to the convenience store at nearly midnight to grab her a soda. I wanted a beer, and I had a Samuel Adams Holiday Porter sitting in the fridge at her house that I could've enjoyed. But then I spotted Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export in the cooler at the store, laughed and remembered the horrible things I'd heard about 211, and grabbed a 24 oz. can for $1.29. Quite a steal (pun intended).

Poured what the Steel Brewing Company believes "to be one of the finest beers in the world" into a mug.

Straw yellow in color with a slight, creamy white cap of foam. The head lingers briefly and leaves a few straps of lacing on the glass as it (uneasily) goes down.

Creamed corn, rotten vegetables, sweet molasses and booze attack the nose in a fit of unpleasantry.

Fairly thick on the tongue, coating the palate with notes of sweet malt, cereal, corn, a middling pinch of bitter hops, and a long, drawn-out fusel alcohol burn that carries through into a dry, dry finish. As the beer warms a little, the alcohol presence becomes overpowering, nearly rendering it undrinkable.

It's a good thing that this brew is high in alcohol content and comes in a big can that can be downed quickly for a good buzz, because it certainly isn't a sipper and letting it warm ever so slightly brings its horrid fusels to the foreground. Everything about this beer is laughable from a true appreciator of beer, as the company titles it "Triple Export," as if it has some high status as an export beer, moving on to describe the production process and the high quality of ingredients, and finishing their lauding with the statement already mentioned earlier. My girlfriend's cat, who will eat and drink pretty much anything, couldn't even stand this stuff. This is nothing but a beer to bomb, not some masterpiece of brewing ingenuity.

1.65/5  rDev -34%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I got into a car accident on my way home. I needed a drink. I reached into my fridge, hoping to find a friend in these toubled times, and when I withdrew my hand, it was holding steel reserve 211 triple export. Pure ghetto juice, baby.

First of all, what does "triple export" mean, exactly? Is it a reference to how many times they tried, and failed, to deport this unwholesome concoction? I'd buy that.

The can goes on to say "...we believe this to be one of the finest beers in the world." The only thing that I can infer from such a statement is that the steel brewing companies' measure of quality is very closely related to the level of alcohol content in their products.

Ok, let's get on with this....

I felt like like putting lipstick on a pig, so I poured it from the huge 24oz. can into my dimpled stein.

A - Urine, from a dehydration victim. The head was huge, and sudsy, and gone. Sparse film left behind actually reinforced the whole urine image.

S - This is literally the first beverage of any variety that I could smell in the exact instant that the seal of the can was cracked. It was like mini scent seeking missiles shot up my nose in a direct assault on my olfactory bulb. Ouch. I get this vague foreboding of things to come.... Fruity esters, weird, funkdefied, hoppy, malty chaos. It's like an adjective bloodbath.

T - Holy Mother of Christ. I am glad I cut my "malt liquor" teeth on what others esteem as "not horrible." When I describe a beer, I clear my mind, and as I am taking my first sip, I always try to include the first impression or phrase that comes to mind in my review. In honor of that tradition, I am now obligated to use the phrase "snake venom" in my taste section. Apart from that bold factor, there are hot, sweet, rotted fruit gnomes gang banging my taste buds right now. There is nothing remotely subtle about this beer. There are so many flavors, all wrong, that are competing for my attention, I'm almost prompted to go into fight or flight mode.

M - Ouch. Someone shot me in the mouth with an airsoft pistol. Ten thousand times. Oh wait. That's the carbonation.

D - I understand that there are people in the world that can drink these like water. I also understand that there are people who engage in sexual acts with barnyard type animals. I fall into neither of these two personality types, and would discourage anyone from attempting either.

2.55/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear, golden yellow. Suprisingly, a full three fingers of head form. Retention is fairly decent for the style and ABV and a patchy film remains. A bit of lace sticks as well.

S - Dry grain husk and a fusel alcohol aroma. A sort of sickening candy sweetness pulls through also.

T - Overall this is probably an average tasting malt liquor, but the alcohol is entirely too noticable. Typical malt liquor sweetness, very saccharin like. Grain husk tries to dry things out but huge alcohol astringency pulls through and makes things unpleasant. Finishes with a strange sweetness.

M - Almost medium bodied, almost cloying. Carbonation starts out strong but fades quickly as the beer sits, adding to the cloying factor.

D - A little less drinkable than some malt liquors because of the huge alcohol presence. Sweetness grows as the beer warms. It is ok if you wanna get wasted, but I'll either be choking the rest of this 24 oz down or pouring it down the drain.

2.23/5  rDev -10.8%

Ok I did not pour this down the sink. The brew looks ok really, it's a cheap beer with some color to it, a deeper amber than usual, foaming 1 inch head that goes to nothing. Not much smell. Taste is odd and medicinal. This brew affects the head very quickly and in a way that really cheap wines I've only ever drunk once in my youth did. Other beers may have a higher ABV but this hits too fast.

3.15/5  rDev +26%

I actually expected this to be a lot worse.

Dark yellow color with a silk-thin head. No lacing.

Smells very sweet, like a mixture of corn and sugar. Slightly dusty and metallic.

Again, surprisingly sweet taste. There is not a lot of upfront hot fusel alcohol, but it finds your tastebuds in the end. It also heats your belly quite a bit.

Highly carbonated, very drying.

For what it is, it's actually a little better than average. I wouldn't buy it again, but I like to try new things.

2.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Let's be honest this has to be cheapest way to get a quick buzz. Pours yellow gold and what comes through in the smell is malty alcohol, with the emphasis on alcohol.

If you have more than two of these and you won't care what you are drinking. Really not as bad as you would expect.

Acceptable tasting inexpensive beer that is sure to give you more bang for the buck toward a quick buzz.

2.65/5  rDev +6%

before you think i'm crazy about my rating of this beer, hear me out:

The appearance of this beer is typical: light and golden, hay-ish with a touch of watermelon juice. it looks like a full bodied LIGHT beer.

The smell is a bit atrocious--out of the can it smells of sour gin and prune juice. out of a glass it smells like lemon dish detergent. (hint for those who don't catch on so quickly--it has no nose when poured in glass).

Taste. Interesting point. It actually has a sweet candy-ish note with a complexity of foul malt and soured corn. almost smutty, if i could define a taste to smut. But there is a touch of sweet cream on the finish, before the harsh alcohol bite. I also found some reviving qualities in the sip of this one, there is a funny warmth that is completely welcome on my palate (even given the fact that this is a cheap, quick-drunk beer) -- which allows for some redemption in quality. But that's about it.

Mouthfeel. Abundant. Qualifying. Satiating, yet considering the aforementioned, disturbing. it's like Motley Crue just did a show and squeezed the sweat from their undies into a beer. Greasy alcohol, basically.

The drinkability of this beer is quite simple: drinkability hardly exists with this beer. this is the beer a homeless guy drinks just to quicken the downward spiral. if you are one that champions this beer, give up, cut your wrist, and let your loved ones know you're a failure at spelling failure. Think about it.

2.05/5  rDev -18%

A - Poured a golden color with a white head that dissipates quickly

S - Is of bad corny malt and other bad scents

T - Not so good corny malt and over all bad

M - This beer has fairly light carbonation

D - This will be the last time I drink this malt beverage but if you want to get drunk quick for cheap this is for you

2.75/5  rDev +10%

Pours gold with a small head that dissipates quickly. Smell is slightly sweet with some alcohol and adjuncts. Taste is quite sweet. Corn. Some grape notes as well. Definitely some alcohol too. Finishes dry. Medium mouthfeel, maybe a little heavier than your average malt liquor which I'm not sure is a good thing or not. Somewhat drinkable. Overall this is definitely just a dressed up malt liquor.

2.55/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Had this in the black pounder can in GA and it is not that bad considering how cheap it is, and how high the alcohol content is. The black can catches the eye, hence the the 2.5. It has a aluminum smell w/ alcohol, but the taste is a tad smooth and doesn't have that swillish backlog most malt liquors do. I rated this a little higher than I should have, but compared to its peers its not bad. I couldn't have more than a couple of these at the same time w/o getting ill.

2.35/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear golden body with a thin, fizzy off-white head.

Smell: A fainly sweet-smelling cereal aroma with a recognizable DMS character to it.

Taste: Sweet taste of grains, various adjuncts, and fusel alcohols. There's actually the lightest floral hop hints on the warming finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Fizzy carbonation. Watery mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I'm fairly certainly this beer has no allusions of being another other than a malt liquor in a tall, black can, and, while there aren't many pleasing qualities to it, at least there isn't anything too displeasing about it, either.

2.48/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from the 24 oz. can into my straight sided tumbler. White head quickly dissapates into no head. Dark yellow color is correct for malt liquour. Smell is not good, corn and no hop aroma present. Taste is below par and lacking in balance. Very little in the way of mouthfeel other than it sort of feels like beer in the mouth. All of my other reviews have been much easier, this one has the distinction of being very average. This beer is the one you pick up after the wife has been bitching about how much money you spend on alcohol...

Just a thought,

barleyman

2.83/5  rDev +13.2%

Got one of these for .99 on my way home, also picked up a silver (regular) still reserve which i intend to review next.

Decent head, 1 finger, faded at a medium pace, even some lacing.

Aroma is cooked sweet corn, malts, maybe the slightest hint of hops.

Flavor is corny and too sweet, mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, but overall this is better than i expected. It goes down pretty smoth, and for a 99 cent "get ya drunk" beer, it's better than most i've tried in this category.

3.05/5  rDev +22%

I picked this on the way home looking for a cheap, quick buzz after a long day and figured I would down this and then get a few laughs making fun of it in my review. Not the case, this is actually a decent brew, one that you can't complain about considering the price.

Pours a pale gold with a head that rises high and disappears quickly. Quite bubbly in the glass.

Aroma is mild of hops and some barley not bad but not spectacular.

The taste was surprisingly mild, smooth and dry. If you've ever had the High Gravity, you'll realize that this is much better balanced and not overly sweet in comparison. Nothing complex, but not bad.

The mouthfeel is a bit heavy on the carbonation, not too stimulating, but hey it's a dollar for a 24 oz.

Drinkable, smooth enough to have a few if you can tolerate the alcohol. Depends on what you are after here. A college kid's dream if you know what I mean...

Not as bad as you may expect. Tastes like a good American macro beer (if you believe in such a thing.)

3.05/5  rDev +22%

All in all this is an average beer. In my opinion it's slightly better than a lot of the macro brewed st.louis beers.
The head is non existent.
Smell is not bad. Citrus and alcohol smells. I like it actually. Could be a lot worse.
Taste is kind of like pbr mixed with ommegang, chimay, etc. Seriously. I think it's the high alcohol content. It has that slight burning aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is definitely avergage.
Drinkability is good. I could pound a few of these no problem. For the money, I think its a good beer.

I've come to find that a lot of other people like this beer too. My local gas station is either out of it or stocked so heavily, the beer cooler is half filled with it. While making small talk with the clerk, I say, " you guys sell a lot of this stuff. You're always running out." His reply was, "yeah, the whole neighborhood is on it." haha, this stuff is all about a buzz for cheap.

3.03/5  rDev +21.2%

Dispensed from a $.99 black can into an imperial pint glass. Very little head formed and then left a film on the top of the beer. Great carbonation action going on. Looks extremely effervescent and crisp.

Aroma wasnt bad. Caramel malts, citrus hops, chardonnay, and cheap wine. Smells close to a batch of wine I made a year or so ago. That wine didnt taste very good. Lets hope this taste better.

Not bad tasting. Malty. Alcoholic. Pretty sweet. Right on the border of being cloying. I am pleasantly surprised by this. Some faults like rubber and corn rear their ugly heads.

Not bad. For one dollar, I think it is quite a bargain. After five or six good beers, this may taste better and would certainly put the buzzed over the top to drunkeness. I cant decide if it is a good buy or not. Yes, it is. Taste is okay but for the money, worth it. Its only $1. Seriously.

SERVE VERY COLD!

1.5/5  rDev -40%

Oh man, what was I thinking? I have had regular 211 and it was average for the style but this is borderline undrinkable. The appearance is a fizzy yellow headless hell. The smell is a sweet-sour rotton corn smell. The taste is like rotting corn with a slight bourbon-like finish. The mouthfeel is one of the worst I have ever had. This stuff burns going down like moonshine. I will never drink one of these again. In fact, there is still half a can in my fridge if anyone is interested.

2.53/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Once again, I am subjecting myself and my taste buds to the misery of a malt liquor. I've resolved to try as many of these high gravity slumming beers as I can since my home state of NC lifted the cap to 15% abv. My other mission is to sample every DIPA I can get my hands on, a much tastier decision in my opinion. Now, onto the Steel Reserve. This beer pours a clear golden color with a 1 inch head that fades rather quickly. The bubbles rising to the top of my glass are large indeed, and I know this means that this beer is full of adjuncts. The first whiff confirms this as I can detect aromas of corn and a sweet, funky odor coming from the glass. The taste is of corn, adjuncts and overcarbonated water with a bit of a citrusy, sweet aftertaste. I tasted the alcohol early, but as I finished the 24oz can, I really didn't taste the alcohol anymore. Strange. For 99 cents, I guess this stuff isn't too bad. At least it didn't kill me.

2.42/5  rDev -3.2%

The beer poured into the glass with some fine particulates, but otherwise clear golden straw with an off-white and moussy head which rose tall and fell nicely to lace the glass.

The aroma was fairly high in sulphur and DMS (cooked corn). The aroma was malty with a light caramel and just a waft of alcohol.

The flavor was malty with a flavor that contained a strong presence of corn. The corn flavor was coupled with a sweetness that was not cloying, but that was not well done.

The finish was lightly corny with some alcohol into the aftertaste. The body was medium, but the carbonation was fairly low leading to a slightly watery mouthfeel. Not a great beer, the standard SR211 8.1% in the silver can was much more tasty.

24 ounce black can. $1.09 at Peace Street Market.

Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export from Steel Brewing Company