Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) | Steel Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
awful
good
Read the review

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Malt Liquor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%. In a few counties/states, a 3.2% version is also available.

Added by Todd on 09-13-2001

Reviews: 541 | Ratings: 1,159
2.82/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This does not look all that great - a shade darker than Budweiser. Does not smell bad, but not good. I had the 8.1% version. I'm giving it bonus points for not tasting disgusting, buzzworthy, and cost only $1.50 for 24 oz. can.

Using the Begnel formula, the Alcohol Score is 24 oz. x 8.1% = 194.4, or 3.9 Bud Lights!

1.15/5  rDev -53.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Well If you're looking for something that will get you drunk without breaking the bank you found it. Truth is I have had more than one of these in the past. Please, just save your pennies and buy something else cause this is only slightly better than drinking prison house hooch.

3.2% edition. Poured from a bottle, 2/9/14, into a small taster glass, about two ounces.

This may be "super rare," but it's also super terrible. Tastes like soggy corn flakes in water. Smells much worse.

1.9/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Words cannot describe how terrible this beer is. I'm so thankful I've graduated college and make more than minimum wage so I can afford better beer than this.

Anyway, about the beer... malt. So much malt. Tastes and smells like corn & alcohol. That about sums it up.

3.71/5  rDev +50.8%

Gott verdammt.

Bought a four pack of 16oz cans from Walgreens for $3.49. If I had gotten two of these, I would have gotten eight beers for the same price as six pack of premium beer or lower end craft beer... actually cheaper. Simply incredible.

And what did I get for such an amazing price?

Wow. Holy hell. This truly is something else.
Poured into a 12oz St. Louis Kriek pilsener style stemmed glass. Golden pale straw color, totally clear with lots of carbonation, and a really nice head. And--what do you know--the head actually sticks around AND leaves some really nice lacing on the glass. Would have never expected that from such a cheap brew.

Smell is of alcohol and malt. This is pretty cold so I wasn't expecting much.

The taste, oh my god. Obviously there's the alcohol, which I honestly don't mind at all, and the hops, which leave a sweetness on the palate. A bit cloying? Maybe, but I'm a sweet tooth and this doesn't bother me at all, it's not super sweet like a fruit cup. This ain't no wine cooler. Also, malt; all of it. I can see why they call this "malt liquor" now, this being my first one ever. I love malt way more than I like hops so I have no problems with that. No hops detected whatsoever, I'm fine with that.

Feel: Now this is interesting. This ain't MHL, but it really does remind me a bit of champagne. Sort of watery, but very very smooth too. There's just a slight alcoholic warmth to it that gives it flavor and makes it more interesting. I think that might be the real kicker.

Overally, I'm blown away. I went into this thinking it might be good, it might be horrible, but it ended up tasting almost exactly how I hoped it would taste. Simply incredible, and the price makes it all the better.

Now just watch as I have another one a few days later and it tastes completely horrible instead... here's to hoping they stay consistent, unlike many cheap adjunct products.

2.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is OK, not as bad as people say. It WILL get me pretty tipsy after one 40 ounce.One 24 Oz. will have me buzzing. - - - Good as a cheap alternative to get drunk fast! :)

4.82/5  rDev +95.9%

I decided on some steel reserve a big 40 ounce bottle.i hadngotten my wife to order me some chinese food earlier so when i got home i could kick back in my recliner have my steel reserve over a huge mug of ice and watch lotr .this malt liquour us best served over lots of ice . You people complain about the oily metallic corn taste of this brew . Thats because you dont have the common sense to drink it ice cold in a huge mug . I poured it and it had such a big head i had to sip it to keep it from foaming all over the asmall table i jad all my food snacks on.it tastes great and is refreshing and strong. Just what you need after a long days work . Stop complaining and drink it right youll be glad you did.

Bought a single can for around $2.00 about 2 months ago and finally got around to trying it. 24-ounce can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and shared it with a good friend in 2 handled-glass steins.

Brew poured like a regular ol' Budweiser which was a golden-yellow in color with a good 1-finger of a white fizzy head. Aroma is of sweet corn for the most part with some yeast. Taste is close to the nose actually. It is decent for what it is and you can't beat the price and it is a 8%er also.

2.15/5  rDev -12.6%

This beer is not for me. To the AAL regular this may seem like a step up, but to me it is most certainly not.

Look: This beer at least looks decent. Dark orange in color, fizzy head that disappears rather quickly.

Smell: Smells like the de-greaser that I used to use at work combined with off beer. Not unpleasant, but not quite natural. Almost burns my nose.

Taste: All malt, and cloyingly sweet malt at that. Finish lingers.

Feel: Smooth, almost greasy. Surprising given the fact it smells like a cleaning product.

Overall: An overly sweet malt heavy drink. One of the few beers that got less pleasant as I drank. Would NOT recommend.

1.65/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Terrible appearance, concentrated urine yellow, almost no head, barely white, vanishes. Aroma was of some industrial grade cleaning equipment. Harsh.

Taste gives that corn and vodka soup feel to it. Almost no hops, but substantial carbonation could trick you into thinking it was there.

Real harsh rubbing alcohol vibe, no malt, no hops. Eeee gad, this is harsh even for malt liquor.

1.95/5  rDev -20.7%

I can not even review this nasty beer..it was great in high school seeing as it was only $1.10... I can't even stand the smell of this anymore..used to drink it like water..it tastes like metal to me, funny because its "steel reserve". My opinions to you are, if your really low on money "and I meen LOW" go ahead.. DO NOT DRINK THIS OR YOUR GUNNA PROLLY END UP OVER THE TOILILET OR IN FIGHT WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND.

2.35/5  rDev -4.5%

The beer is a straw color but completely see through. Lots of carbonation flying up the drink and the head that once started out very thick has lasted very well. The beer smells of alcohol, corn, and metal. It is horrible, I can't help but ask why I am drinking this. The beer taste just as bad as it smells. Malt liquor is already not a very pleasing style and now this makes Mickey's looks like a delicious craft brew. The beer started to taste like a typical bud, miller, coorers, etc. but slowly it just tasted like bad water. Slight taste of malts and sorta dry at the end even. Taste very manufactured and metallic, may be due to the can. The mouth feel is very watery but you you do get a nice tingle from the carbonation.

2.51/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured half of one of these into a beer drinking glass.
Pours your average lager color, but a little darker than average. Decent foam head, dissipates at a moderate rate.
Kinda smells cheap, like the cost, almost watery, maybe a little malty.
Taste is interesting, similar to a Genesee, maybe a little sweeter.
Drinks smooth, some carbonation.
Overall, it's drinkable and considering it's strength, it's only slightly more expensive than say, a Genesee and with more alcohol per volume.
Good for a cheap drink for that buzz or drunk you want with something that isn't completely terrible.

3.04/5  rDev +23.6%

Enjoyed out of a large pilsner style glass. Poured from a 24oz can around 40F.

L:- Golden yellow in color, mainly clear. Head nearly non-existent and lasting only briefly. Produces a slight bubbling from the bottom which can be retained for quite awhile (longer than it should take to down this drink).
S:- Sweet, with a very subtle alcohol aroma (in similar to a cheap champagne).
T:- Barn like (slight corn/grain), and sweet. A slight fuel alcohol (acetone like, but not “inedible“) aftertaste, forms the longer it sits. One of the better malt liquors to my palette, as long as its served cold and enjoyed in a somewhat timely fashion (don’t let it get “too warm”). Like other low-dollar luxuries in life, becomes more enjoyable the more you consecutively have.
F:- Really depends on the temperature and length of consumption. Served cold (38-40F) and drank within a “quick” hour (optimally quicker), it is actually slightly crisp with decent carbonation. Not as astringent as expected but defiantly noticeable if left to sit and drink over time. Overall, like you would expect from the taste.

:- As a “budget” drink, it is relatively smooth for those seeking the effects of alcohol. Can produce nasty headaches and muggy mornings if over consumed, so not something I would choose to consume on a regular basis. Excellent for what it is (A low dollar malt liquor with a high ABV).

3.41/5  rDev +38.6%

24 oz. can into a clear plastic hotel cup. Yellow, looks ok i guess, for a yellow beer. Smells off, kinda rotten, so, yeah, shocked at how good I thought it tasted. Liquid sweet corn on the cob with a touch of hay/barn. 8.1? I can't taste it. Recommended, if you are trying to decide between malt liquors. Will have again, most likely. Cheers!

2.58/5  rDev +4.9%

My go to choice if i have to get really f*cked up for really cheap. It's not a horrible beer in small doses but i can't drink a lot of it anymore like I used to.

3.43/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On the docket: 24 oz. can of Steel Reserve Brewing Co.’s Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity 8.1%). Best by: June 16th, 2016.

Poured into: Chimay Chalice… yep… you read that right

S: Crystal clear and pale gold body. Head forms quickly, then cedes to a tiny white ring on top. A small whirlpool of suds floats in the center. Due to the beautiful fleur de lis etched into the bottom of the chalice, the bubbles are streaming up in a column to the surface. No lacing.

A: Sweet, cooked corn-like bouquet with a dash of paint-thinner and vegetal thrown in for complexity.

T: Frighteningly reminiscent of an American Amber Lager produced in Pennsylvania, but lacking the depth of that one produced since 1829. Corn, sweet malt, a swish of husk. I also get just a hint of dextrin you find in a German bock (Gott im Himmel!). Lastly, the alcohol rears its head. You know, I was expecting something vile. I’m a little disappointed. Oh, yeah, no discernable hop presence. It’s got to be here somewhere. Are you there hops? It’s me, John.

F: Medium thin body and very crisp. When consumed on the chilly, “the mountains are blue” side, it’s nearly refreshing. Good effervescence, but not as scrubby as say, a Belgian Tripel, which really should go into the glass next, as an apology to all those monks over there in cassocks and shriven heads. As it warms, it becomes a bit slicker and oilier.

O: Oddly surprised. I mean, it’s no bourbon-barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout, but certainly not the most disgusting adult beverage I’ve tasted. By the way, if you want to know what 1,000 monks gently weeping sounds like, pour something like this into branded glassware of a Trappist brewery. I heard them, and I almost wept, too.

S: 3.75 A: 3.25 T: 3.5 F: 3.25 O: 3.5

Suggested food pairing: Funyuns, Slim Jims, Pork Rinds, a pack of Pall Mall cigarettes, a night of bad decisions, regret

4.6/5  rDev +87%

Most ppl don't drink what i drink. I like a beer with a sweet flavor and a non-bitter after taste. And if ya like a big kick to boot then you got that here also. I can promise ya I have drank more 211 than any 3 ppl rating this beer, most likely the whole panel. This has been my favorite beer for the last 4 years. (90% SR, 10% yingling.

2.99/5  rDev +21.5%

Clear golden color. Huge, frothy head with excellent retention and leaves distinct lace shapes all over the glass. Surprisingly appealing to the eye.

Aroma of metal and adjuncts. Tastes like steel infused multivitamins. Detecting just a hint of malt and faint herbal hops. Adjuncts and metal dominate the rest of the way. Getting a heavy dose of stale corn in the end. Medium body. Gritty texture. Crispish finish.

May be one of the better malt liquors out there but that's not saying much.

1.2/5  rDev -51.2%

This malt liquor is one that is truly disgusting, but you have to start somewhere I guess. Color was typical of a malt liquor. Smell was booze right up front. I also smelled green apples in this beer as well. Not good. Taste was also pretty boozy with a warming sensation. Drink only to get thoroughly and totally intoxicated.

1.33/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Haven't had this in years but just saw a review and had to laugh.

I remember the pungent puke smell resonating the classic 40oz widemouth! Sure its clear, its kind of drinkable, and very warming.

With that being said, I wouldn't ever drink this stuff again unless I was magically transported to a frat party when I was 18

1.59/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

This is crap. Pours out a urine colored beer.

The smell is an overly sweet treacly smell reminiscent of vomit.

Seriously I cannot continue this review as a serious review. This crap is so damn bad I have to say you really need to drink this one cold and drink it fast. There are so many other beers out there that there is something seriously wrong if you cannot find an alternative to purchase. Please listen folks this is a high ABV sickly sweet malt bomb that is really not worth the money. Buy something else folks!

3.57/5  rDev +45.1%

Gets the job done.

Taste: Enough.
Drunkenness: Yes.

Of all the 7-11 bottom rack beers priced under $2.79 per 24 Oz. can, Steel Reserve stands
head and shoulders above the competition.

1. It is better tasting than Mickey's, Hurricane, and Olde English.
2. It has twice the potency of Miller High Life, PBR, and Bud.
3. It is at least $0.50 cheaper than any of the above. What's not to love?

That's why I keep coming back to Steelys. And still do!
The Steely is mild and sweet, with high carbonation and a tolerably weird aftertaste. Better drunk cold and fast.

2.68/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pale gold (4) pour with large loose white foam; long lasting cap retention and spotty lace. Grainy biscuit nose. Biscuits and grainy malt flavor, and a lite bitter bite on tip of my tongue. Super carbonated, lite watery mouthfeel. Overall, fairly tame, but there is a an odd bitter hop linger.

Now the BROS have it right. If you are an avid drinker aka an alcoholic this is a go to beer when your in between paychecks. Taste might be a little too much to deal with if your a pussy who prefers Michelob ultra or budlight which is basically everyone in this region. Its quantity over quality. This beverage doesn't get the credibility it deserves.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company