Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%
to view more.
Ratings: 1,043 | Reviews: 514
Reviews by Alby402:

People review this like it is supposed to be some kind of craft brew. No it isn't. This company makes tons of money. If they wanted to spend that whipping up something that is crafty and used great ingredients they could do it... I promise you they could. But they are marketing this somewhere else. It is an inexpensive and relatively easy drinking and good tasting way to get a lot of alcohol in your system. That's it. Stop reviewing beers like this the way you guys do. That would be like me going into a mcdonalds and reviewing their big mac as if it was a dish served to me in a five star restaurant that I paid 50 dollars for. No. It's just maid to be cheap and taste pretty good.

1.75/5  rDev -25.8%

It's time to party like you're late to your parole hearing. If I'm ever in the mood to go all-out raging drunk, I'll pound two Steely's and then argue with my mother about who's going to do the laundry. There's a reason the gutters of Chicago have rich deposits of empty Steel Reserve cans--the Windy City knows how to party.

*Straight from the 40 oz bottle*

A- Dark urine color with large collar of foam.

S- sickly sweet. Malts and musty, pungent grains. Zero hops.

T- Buttery taste. Overly sweet malts and piss poor grains. Finish was gross. Like wet cardboard with sugar on top. Alcoholic taste and feel is present.

M- heavy mouth feel. Hard to drink. Oily and thick.

Gross. It gets you feeling alcohol's affects quickly.

Serious beer for serious bros. If you want to bro down and impress that babes that know how to party, drink the high gravity lager. 2 tall boys and you will be flying high. This isn't a craft. This isn't a trendy beer. This is a malt for college kids getting after it. And you rate how crazy you want your night to be, by the number of steels you put down. Every now and then I get a few to reminisce.

3.6/5  rDev +52.5%

This is the best inexpensive beer on the market...with a kick to boot! BTW. This stuff is a lager. Can't find the words "Malt Liquor" on the can anywhere.

2.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Steel Reserve 211 is one of the few mainstream malt liquors I have yet to review; in a 40oz bottle nonetheless. Let's set this one on fire.

Appearance - Clear, light amber with a pure-white head.

Smell - Smells of malt and strong, looming alcohol. Almost ominous, as if it's slowly approaching your body in the darkest of ways.

Taste - Tastes precisely like a malt liquor, with heavy malt character, cheap grain, and alcohol that packs an identifiable sting. This isn't as pungent as Camo Silver Ice but not as smooth and almost refreshing as Colt 45 or King Cobra. It's a middling offering, but it does its job, which means it gets substantial credit.

Mouthfeel - Crisp (!), clean, and leaves its alcohol all over your mouth to remind you what you just did.

When I used to drink malt liquors I thought this was the worst of them all. Big malt, nasty, foul flavors on this beer. It was the lowest of the low and I would never touch it again as there are better malt liquor beers out there than this.

2.86/5  rDev +21.2%

well it does no justice, but it will get you piss drunk... i can only drink one

2.58/5  rDev +9.3%

After having one I decided to see what everyone thought. After seeing all the bad comments , I decided I better crack open another one to study it more carefully. An igot a new buzz, his name is percy he's a happy lil buzz. So, I got alot of head from the first one, as I poured this one from the wide mouth can into my glass, no head this time. I'm surprised that my yellow beer in my blue glass doesn't look green that defys science so its got that going for it. I don't smell much of anything to write about when I take a whiff. Goes down pretty smooth, with a tad bit of beer flavor. I really like the 8.10% effect, I wish they could all be 8% and up for so cheap. Oh whoops, I spoilled the best part its really cheap, $1.29 for 16oz. One will do it, two will make it hard to write a review with no spelling errors. So will I get it again? Oh yeah, sometimes its fun to ride a moped. We just don't want anyone to see us. This is what people who dont drink beer think all beer tastes like. It also reminds me why i like warstiener, bocks, and dopple bocks. I have to go scratch my belly and yell at my cat now. An I got this brand new buzz, his name is 4 and he don't ever do bout nothing at really ever at all my 𠙶 be sure blue steel 211zzzzzzzzzzz.

It's an Apples and Oranges test if you compare Steel Reserve to highly delicate crafted micro brews. In fact it's insulting to make the comparison in the first place. However having said that, and after taking another glorious gulp of my 24 oz Steel Reserve, it's a great beer if you just rate itself and forget all the other legends. For starters it's a acquired taste of strong and bold rich barely, sweet and bitter all at the same time. The After taste is also need of acquiring. Luckily I have acquired all of the above. Price point is unbeatable, for $1.50 not too shabby (You won't go bankrupt with this financial decision). The high alcohol content of 8.1% is mind blowing (You won't get that same effect with say coors light or bud). I've coined the nickname "A Quick Cheap Drunk" :p . Best way to drink this like almost all good beers, "ICE COLD." . "It's a Mans Beer," my girlfriend doesn't understand why I love it so much (even though she likes drinking some of the worst hard alcohol on the planet). BACK STORY It's the beer I have grown up with, when I was once a poor country boy. I continue to drink in delight :) (You heard me right), I steel love it after all the other hand crafted beers I have been opened up to throughout the years. It's beer and it get's me in gear so have no fear. I shout out, "I love steel reserve beer." with an all out cheer :D

look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Taking a dump. On my iPhone. Bacheloring it up.

Poured into pint glass for proper reviewing.

Appearance : straight out of the tall can it pours a frothy, full head about 3.5 fingers tall. The body is a pleasant golden glow. Mostly transparent.

Aroma : steel, corn, more corn, faint dirty hop leaf. Mostly stale corn in a grain bin though.

Taste : very smooth in its abundant nothingness. The 8.1% is definitely there but you barely taste it. It's more like you FEEL it. Towards the end it's got an earthy hop but its like, rotten or something. A whole lot of floaty alcohol flavors with a bit of that rotten garbage hop. Hey, it's better than i thought it would be.

Mouthfeel : very smooth, light bodied, slightly grainy in texture.

Overall : won't buy it again. But if you really want to say goodbye to sobriety for a night, this will do the trick without tasting like a dirty diaper.

4.5/5  rDev +90.7%

Wow! I read what the Bro's rated and was surprised that so cheap a beer would be rated that high. Finally got the nerve to put out 3$ for a 4 pack in aluminum cans.. I was a little embarased feeling like a brown bagger homeless guy.... Poured it in a glass when I got home and everything looked perfect. Nice foam nice lacing..... Nice smell.. Taste?? OMG this is nice....smoothe with no hint of being out of a can!! I can't believe it! Only rated a 4.5 because this lager (not malt liquor) needs just a tad more hop to be as 5. Bye Bye yuengaling.... This is my new normal drinker!!! Might even consider living on the streets to enjoy ..... Nah...

2.44/5  rDev +3.4%

There are two ways to review this.
I could review it as a beer, where I have expectations of taste, smell and texture, or I could review it for what it is, a one way ticket to getting plastered.

Something about the smell mixed with the taste is a little offensive to me. I've had Colt 45 a long time ago, and this is pretty comparable. It's earned it's place on 7-11 shelves next to the PBR and Rolling Rock (though I prefer those to this), but I probably won't get this again, unless I'm planning on getting properly drunk for cheap.

Actually, after a second sip from the can, with little smell, I find the taste a bit unpleasant. However, for it's kick of alcohol, it hides it reasonably well, though it's still noticeable. Probably haven't had a beer that tasted worse than this, but that's probably more due to my good judgement, which has been put to the test tonight.

Serious beer for washing away serious problems. Put down enough of these, and you'll be hurting the next day. But in the meantime, what a ride.

3.5/5  rDev +48.3%

great for a quick buzz. don't drink too much or you will pay for it the next morning , for sure.

3.28/5  rDev +39%

When it comes to malt liquor I grade on taste alone, because malt liquor is meant to be SLAMED. “Slow brewed for exceptional smooth flavor”. You can always tell how good a malt liquor is by the amount of lies on the can. All right here we go. What the hell man? I just opened the can and I didn’t get the snake hiss I’m so accustomed to. Damn I can smell the alcohol running from the can like the devil is chasing it. Ok, sucked down ¼ of the can and it taste like a green apple jolly rancher. I’ve literally had 100’s of 211’s and this is the first time it didn’t taste like malt liquor, sweet gasoline ,and heat. I must have a bad can. Which raises the question, do bad cans of 211 get better with age? Alright round 2, here we go…. Ughhhh never mind I take it all back. I just killed the can and it’s fighting me back causing ripples of chills throughout my body. This is the taste I’m accustoming to…. Alcohol and a funk that shifts its flavor so fast you don’t know what the hell you’re drinking. This is definitely an acquired taste. The reason why I like 211 is because it floods my mind with memories of Jr High. It’s like time traveling back to the time when all we could afford was 40oz’s and tall cans. Overall it taste awful. But the memories I’ve had with this shit keeps me coming back. I mean come-on this was my first taste of independence. 211 delivers a hard ass buzz for only 8.1% ABV

3.34/5  rDev +41.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 24 oz. can to a nonic pint

A: Bubbly clear golden with a large white head that seems to stay.
S: Biscuity malt, a little dustiness, some metallic twang, and some alcohol.
T: Sweet, with a bready malt center, zero hop presence, and moderate alcohol. The alcohol is actually well-hidden, and it goes down smooth.
M: Light to medium. No significant aftertaste.
O: Surprisingly good. Not great by any means, but is good for what it is. It tastes like a budweiser with more flavor and body.

2.53/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance – Shiny yellow in color with a pure white head. The head showed a bit of retention but looked kind of cheap.

Smell – The grainy aroma was sharp and mixed with alcohol. I could pick up a faint floral hopping and some musty notes as well.

Taste – Not as bad as I thought, but nowhere near good. The grain mellows a bit, making this one almost drinkable. The sweet finish is kind of nasty but, again, not as bad as others.

Mouthfeel – There was some light, cheap carbonation to this one but otherwise the mouthfeel was boring and on the lighter side of medium-bodied. I will say though that it was smoother than most other efforts from the macro malt liquor industry.

Drinkability – Was it drinkable? Well, it was borderline. I managed to get about a third of the way through the can when my wife called out from the kitchen, “Do you want half of this Ruination?” I couldn’t dump it down the sink fast enough.

1.43/5  rDev -39.4%

What, no category for tall boy? 24 oz of this bad boy and I was on my way to...to the bathroom.

Golden brown and bubbly. No head but a lot of headache.

The can says 28 days. I don’t know if that means aged 28 days, less than 28 days old or that they milked an Albanian hobo’s bladder for 28 days to get this stuff.

Once when I was 18 I went to Milwaukee to hang out with some older friends and they bought me a 4 pack of this junk. I woke up on North 25th Street.

The can says high gravity. That must refer to the immense gravitational pull on my bladder after drinking a can.

This beer tastes a lot like Lake Michigan tastes in Milwaukee after a tremendous rain storm.

2.6/5  rDev +10.2%

The big Steel Reserve 211. I had to try this one.

A- Starts with a very clean foamy head (about a half inch), that drops quickly to barely anything. No lacing at all. A pure straw yellow the color.
Note: After beer warm up it leaves minimal lacing... not bad.

S- Smells like any other macro beer out there. Differences are light but it has a yeasty smell along with corn and alcohol.

T- Taste is decent for a malt liquor. At first is a very dry flavor of malt and corn sweetness. Second is the bite of possibly hops or just the alcohol finish.

M- This beer literally rolls over the tongue and skips the lingering in the mouth, alcohol really has no bad effect on the mouthfeel.

D- I could drink this... only when i was in the mood for getting drunk. But for a malt liquor not bad.
Note: Good beer for the price of being buzzed.

2.18/5  rDev -7.6%

Steel Reserve is the ultimate in malt liquer's. If you want to get messed up real bad and real quick, take one or two of these 24's down and you'll be feeling good! This is definantly a drink to be consumed when ice cold, otherwise suffer the concequences. Like a previous reviewer said, when it warms up it does taste kind of like a rum and coke, only a stale one! I had a couple of these before my math class last semester and let's just say I did not learn much on that day! Anyways, I'd take a Mickey's over this any day but if you wanna get fucked up real quick, this is the ticket

1.83/5  rDev -22.5%

A while back a buddy and I picked up a case of this wanting to try something different. We got home and each tried one.

The appearance was nothing special, but at the same time not the worst.

The smell was not that great it smelled very strongly of alcohol.

The taste was probably the worst thing about it. It tasted so strongly of alcohol that I found myself just kind of gulping it down to get past the taste.

The mouthfeel was kind of thin feeling.

Overall, I would say this beer will do the trick if you are just looking to get drunk. Which after like just 3 of these I was pretty toasty. However if you are looking for a beer to drink and savor,I would not recommend this.

Also, the day after drinking this I had an especially bad hangover.

3.67/5  rDev +55.5%

A 1 pint and 8 onz can ,with a very nice label no freshnnes date.

Appearance is a straw color with a foamy head ,very nice.

Smell malt and alcohol .

Taste very good, spices,malt and some nice sweetness.

Feels very good on the mouth, if i have the chance would go again with this one.

Notes: This is the first malt liquour i have ever taste, very nice flavor.

2.38/5  rDev +0.8%

This is just colt 45 to tthe next level. This is liquored up beer. The taste isnt good to say the least. The only thing that has going for it is the alcohol. It is evident that there are many ways to get alcohol better than this, The only other bost for this is the price. Yes it's dirt cheap. oz for oz it may be one of the cheapest forms of alcohol available in the beer catagory, but that doesent means it's good. The alcohol taste is overpowering of any beer flavor that may be there.

1.48/5  rDev -37.3%

LOL...I had to revisit my high school days when I would scrap some money up and buy a couple 40's of this or some other high octane, low-cost, garbage malt liquor. Very pale color, very well carbonated with not much of a head. Smells of adjuncts and skunk. Tastes of adjuncts and skunk as well with a big alcohol kick. Mouthfeel is watery and very carbonated. Tastes like ass and only good for the broke looking for a buzz.

to view more.