Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

poor

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%
Reviews: 507 | Hads: 1,066
Reviews by Emerson1310:
4.5/5  rDev +74.4%

I too, am not snobbish for beer. My palate is wide open for different flavors from lager like this up to Sculpin, Pliny and HopSlam.

A: Light gold with bright white 3 finger head and good carbonation.

S: Like a malt lager!! Nothing exceptional, as expected.

T: Very lager-ish, but when chilled to almost slushiness, it is very refreshing and pleasant. The rather high 8.3% ABV doesn't show in the taste, the flavor of alcohol is rather limited.

O: The price for this is exceptional too, at $6.99 a 12-pack, $1.99 for a large 22oz bomber, etc. Beware the high ABV, this beer will definitely knock you on your butt if you drink too much!! (641 characters)

People review this like it is supposed to be some kind of craft brew. No it isn't. This company makes tons of money. If they wanted to spend that whipping up something that is crafty and used great ingredients they could do it... I promise you they could. But they are marketing this somewhere else. It is an inexpensive and relatively easy drinking and good tasting way to get a lot of alcohol in your system. That's it. Stop reviewing beers like this the way you guys do. That would be like me going into a mcdonalds and reviewing their big mac as if it was a dish served to me in a five star restaurant that I paid 50 dollars for. No. It's just maid to be cheap and taste pretty good. (687 characters)

2.7/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I was bored and thirsty tonight in the Inland Empire due to the fucked up weather and suprise heat, so I cruised down to AM/PM. Being that it was on a whim and I didn't feel like spending the big bucks, I picked up a 3 pack of tall boys. What the fuck was I thinking? After the 1st tall can, I got nauseous and ended up puking just a bit. Possibly because of the foam? Who knows. Anyhow... Because I'm a bad ass, I continued. After the 2nd can; I was on a a decent one. So much that I walked inside the house and started playing some Johnny Cash on the stereo. I'm sitting here on the couch thinking "should I go gerab the third tall can?". I probably will and I will finish it. My review may seem shitty and it actually suits this bullshit brew. It fucking sucks in regards to taste and all the other categories, but what the fuck do you expect from it? It's a cheap, shitty lager. Strong as Satan's pitchfork and tastes like a hat full of Assholes...but what the fuck do you expect for the price. People rating this an lower than a 3 are all Assholes. It is what it is mother fuckers. You know what you got yourself into. Come correct with your judging you prissy fucks. I bought it for one reason and one reason only...to get smashed for the lowest price point possible. They make money and keep it on the market for a reason. Fuck it....I'm walking to my fridge as I type this, to grab that last tall can. Like Michael Buffer says, "IT'S TIME!!!!!!" I live around an awesome array of Micro Breweries and trust me, I Mich rather go there and indulge. However, the timing does not permit it.

This shit is insanely strong and will kick you in the balls. Better yet.... If makes me feel like a dinosaur. I'm in a slap fight and I'm a T-Rex... Just getting fucked up during this battle of Palms vs. Face. Did I expect any different? Absolutely not. Can cracked and I'm ready to go. Stogie is lit and it's time for battle. After all I've said...all I have to say is................ (1,980 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -32.2%

It's time to party like you're late to your parole hearing. If I'm ever in the mood to go all-out raging drunk, I'll pound two Steely's and then argue with my mother about who's going to do the laundry. There's a reason the gutters of Chicago have rich deposits of empty Steel Reserve cans--the Windy City knows how to party. (326 characters)

Serious beer for serious bros. If you want to bro down and impress that babes that know how to party, drink the high gravity lager. 2 tall boys and you will be flying high. This isn't a craft. This isn't a trendy beer. This is a malt for college kids getting after it. And you rate how crazy you want your night to be, by the number of steels you put down. Every now and then I get a few to reminisce. (403 characters)

*Straight from the 40 oz bottle*

A- Dark urine color with large collar of foam.

S- sickly sweet. Malts and musty, pungent grains. Zero hops.

T- Buttery taste. Overly sweet malts and piss poor grains. Finish was gross. Like wet cardboard with sugar on top. Alcoholic taste and feel is present.

M- heavy mouth feel. Hard to drink. Oily and thick.

Gross. It gets you feeling alcohol's affects quickly. (405 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +39.5%

This is the best inexpensive beer on the market...with a kick to boot! BTW. This stuff is a lager. Can't find the words "Malt Liquor" on the can anywhere. (154 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -1.2%

Steel Reserve 211 is one of the few mainstream malt liquors I have yet to review; in a 40oz bottle nonetheless. Let's set this one on fire.

Appearance - Clear, light amber with a pure-white head.

Smell - Smells of malt and strong, looming alcohol. Almost ominous, as if it's slowly approaching your body in the darkest of ways.

Taste - Tastes precisely like a malt liquor, with heavy malt character, cheap grain, and alcohol that packs an identifiable sting. This isn't as pungent as Camo Silver Ice but not as smooth and almost refreshing as Colt 45 or King Cobra. It's a middling offering, but it does its job, which means it gets substantial credit.

Mouthfeel - Crisp (!), clean, and leaves its alcohol all over your mouth to remind you what you just did. (762 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +27.1%

When it comes to malt liquor I grade on taste alone, because malt liquor is meant to be SLAMED. “Slow brewed for exceptional smooth flavor”. You can always tell how good a malt liquor is by the amount of lies on the can. All right here we go. What the hell man? I just opened the can and I didn’t get the snake hiss I’m so accustomed to. Damn I can smell the alcohol running from the can like the devil is chasing it. Ok, sucked down ¼ of the can and it taste like a green apple jolly rancher. I’ve literally had 100’s of 211’s and this is the first time it didn’t taste like malt liquor, sweet gasoline ,and heat. I must have a bad can. Which raises the question, do bad cans of 211 get better with age? Alright round 2, here we go…. Ughhhh never mind I take it all back. I just killed the can and it’s fighting me back causing ripples of chills throughout my body. This is the taste I’m accustoming to…. Alcohol and a funk that shifts its flavor so fast you don’t know what the hell you’re drinking. This is definitely an acquired taste. The reason why I like 211 is because it floods my mind with memories of Jr High. It’s like time traveling back to the time when all we could afford was 40oz’s and tall cans. Overall it taste awful. But the memories I’ve had with this shit keeps me coming back. I mean come-on this was my first taste of independence. 211 delivers a hard ass buzz for only 8.1% ABV (1,438 characters)

If you are attempting to judge this beer like it is a fine wine tasting contest, you are in the wrong forum. This High Gravity Lager was brewed for one purpose. High alcohol content. You don't buy these kind of beers for a taste testing contest. It's a man's world. I am a contractor that can buy anything from caviar to Cadillac's. It's a fast buzz with not a lot of effort. It rates high in my world for what a High Gravity Lager is. (436 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +41.9%

Presentation: 24 oz sliver can with eye catching fonts and "buy me" wording.

Appearance: Crystal clear light amber golden in colour with a minimal lace formed by a champagne like carbonation.

Smell: Light malt aroma with a faint acidic and noticeable alcoholic nose to follow.

Taste: Medium to full body with a definite crisp carbonation. On the sweet side. Clean slightly stripped malty palate, strong spicy alcohol presence with a trace acidic hoppy twang. Little bit of cooked corn flavour and sweet dextrin from the residual sugar. After taste is very clean with just remnants of the spicy warming alcohol.

Notes: One of the most drinkable malt liquors I have tasted, one of the more alcoholic ones I have run into also. Even when it warms up a bit it does not get ghastly like other malt liquors do. (816 characters)

When I used to drink malt liquors I thought this was the worst of them all. Big malt, nasty, foul flavors on this beer. It was the lowest of the low and I would never touch it again as there are better malt liquor beers out there than this. (240 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: pale gold

S: Malt liquor meets strong ale

T: like a malt liquor american strong ale! terrific.

M: Feels nice in there. Medium light to medium viscosity

O: much better than I had anticipated. This brew gets a bad rep in my opinion. (243 characters)

2.86/5  rDev +10.9%

well it does no justice, but it will get you piss drunk... i can only drink one (79 characters)

2.58/5  rDev 0%

After having one I decided to see what everyone thought. After seeing all the bad comments , I decided I better crack open another one to study it more carefully. An igot a new buzz, his name is percy he's a happy lil buzz. So, I got alot of head from the first one, as I poured this one from the wide mouth can into my glass, no head this time. I'm surprised that my yellow beer in my blue glass doesn't look green that defys science so its got that going for it. I don't smell much of anything to write about when I take a whiff. Goes down pretty smooth, with a tad bit of beer flavor. I really like the 8.10% effect, I wish they could all be 8% and up for so cheap. Oh whoops, I spoilled the best part its really cheap, $1.29 for 16oz. One will do it, two will make it hard to write a review with no spelling errors. So will I get it again? Oh yeah, sometimes its fun to ride a moped. We just don't want anyone to see us. This is what people who dont drink beer think all beer tastes like. It also reminds me why i like warstiener, bocks, and dopple bocks. I have to go scratch my belly and yell at my cat now. An I got this brand new buzz, his name is 4 and he don't ever do bout nothing at really ever at all my 𠙶 be sure blue steel 211zzzzzzzzzzz. (1,266 characters)

It's an Apples and Oranges test if you compare Steel Reserve to highly delicate crafted micro brews. In fact it's insulting to make the comparison in the first place. However having said that, and after taking another glorious gulp of my 24 oz Steel Reserve, it's a great beer if you just rate itself and forget all the other legends. For starters it's a acquired taste of strong and bold rich barely, sweet and bitter all at the same time. The After taste is also need of acquiring. Luckily I have acquired all of the above. Price point is unbeatable, for $1.50 not too shabby (You won't go bankrupt with this financial decision). The high alcohol content of 8.1% is mind blowing (You won't get that same effect with say coors light or bud). I've coined the nickname "A Quick Cheap Drunk" :p . Best way to drink this like almost all good beers, "ICE COLD." . "It's a Mans Beer," my girlfriend doesn't understand why I love it so much (even though she likes drinking some of the worst hard alcohol on the planet). BACK STORY It's the beer I have grown up with, when I was once a poor country boy. I continue to drink in delight :) (You heard me right), I steel love it after all the other hand crafted beers I have been opened up to throughout the years. It's beer and it get's me in gear so have no fear. I shout out, "I love steel reserve beer." with an all out cheer :D (1,373 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Taking a dump. On my iPhone. Bacheloring it up.

Poured into pint glass for proper reviewing.

Appearance : straight out of the tall can it pours a frothy, full head about 3.5 fingers tall. The body is a pleasant golden glow. Mostly transparent.

Aroma : steel, corn, more corn, faint dirty hop leaf. Mostly stale corn in a grain bin though.

Taste : very smooth in its abundant nothingness. The 8.1% is definitely there but you barely taste it. It's more like you FEEL it. Towards the end it's got an earthy hop but its like, rotten or something. A whole lot of floaty alcohol flavors with a bit of that rotten garbage hop. Hey, it's better than i thought it would be.

Mouthfeel : very smooth, light bodied, slightly grainy in texture.

Overall : won't buy it again. But if you really want to say goodbye to sobriety for a night, this will do the trick without tasting like a dirty diaper. (893 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +74.4%

Wow! I read what the Bro's rated and was surprised that so cheap a beer would be rated that high. Finally got the nerve to put out 3$ for a 4 pack in aluminum cans.. I was a little embarased feeling like a brown bagger homeless guy.... Poured it in a glass when I got home and everything looked perfect. Nice foam nice lacing..... Nice smell.. Taste?? OMG this is nice....smoothe with no hint of being out of a can!! I can't believe it! Only rated a 4.5 because this lager (not malt liquor) needs just a tad more hop to be as 5. Bye Bye yuengaling.... This is my new normal drinker!!! Might even consider living on the streets to enjoy ..... Nah... (661 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -5.4%

There are two ways to review this.
I could review it as a beer, where I have expectations of taste, smell and texture, or I could review it for what it is, a one way ticket to getting plastered.

Something about the smell mixed with the taste is a little offensive to me. I've had Colt 45 a long time ago, and this is pretty comparable. It's earned it's place on 7-11 shelves next to the PBR and Rolling Rock (though I prefer those to this), but I probably won't get this again, unless I'm planning on getting properly drunk for cheap.

Actually, after a second sip from the can, with little smell, I find the taste a bit unpleasant. However, for it's kick of alcohol, it hides it reasonably well, though it's still noticeable. Probably haven't had a beer that tasted worse than this, but that's probably more due to my good judgement, which has been put to the test tonight. (877 characters)

Serious beer for washing away serious problems. Put down enough of these, and you'll be hurting the next day. But in the meantime, what a ride. (143 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +35.7%

great for a quick buzz. don't drink too much or you will pay for it the next morning , for sure. (96 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -50.4%

I can not even review this nasty beer..it was great in high school seeing as it was only $1.10... I can't even stand the smell of this anymore..used to drink it like water..it tastes like metal to me, funny because its "steel reserve". My opinions to you are, if your really low on money "and I meen LOW" go ahead.. DO NOT DRINK THIS OR YOUR GUNNA PROLLY END UP OVER THE TOILILET OR IN FIGHT WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND. (414 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +64%

Never done a beer review..

well Ive got the fancy new black can. I thought it looked flashy and nice, and my graphic designer wife, thought it wasnt bad (which is practically adoration coming from her).

It looks.. well it doesnt look great. It retains no head, is clear and watery. pale to golden in coloring. what it does retain though is a gentle, subtle,bubbling brewing, just to let you know its still a beer.

Smell. Not so good. Kinda smells like a $1.49 24oz er, which is exactly what youd expect I guess. smells just slightly sweet. almost like bland biscuits.

Taste. I opened this can with hopeful expectations, but not expecting what I found. The taste is incredibly smooth. Tastes well I couldnt say what it tasted like.... Ive been a smoker up until a couple weeks ago so I guess my sense of taste might not be the best. but I like it. its unique, smooth, palatable. Very malty obviously. Its Steel Reserve.

Feel. it felt solid. substantial. Ive sipped on it so much now trying to make this review, that its gone, so Im workin on memory. but I felt like it felt thick, even though it wasnt thick. cause the flavor is well rounded and bold. Comes across as liquid bread. If you like bread... -and if you like beer. you probably like bread - . its nice. filling. its soft. kinda comforting.

all in all I would rate it a 5. Ive tasted many many beers, and this 5 is relative to its price. for $1.50 theres nothing better. (1,437 characters)

How the bros rated this at 83 I'll never know. This is shit beer that alcoholics drink when they are broke. This is by far worse than Milwaukee's Beast. Save your money (168 characters)

Trash. Gives me gas. Gets you smashed. (38 characters)

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company