Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%
Reviews: 520 | Hads: 1,106
Reviews by whatthehull:
2.26/5  rDev -8.1%

Tasted sept. 5th 2011 (from notes)

A - translucent gold, one finger white head and no lacing

S - just lots of yeast, malt, funk, alcohol and slight hops

T - lots of malt, alcohol, barley, wheat, crazy yeast, rice and I guess a slight hint of bitter hops

M - full bodied, medium minus acidity, not a lot of balance, not much complexity and a medium finish

D - if you are looking for a decent tasting cheap beer to get you shwasted, this is your beer.

Final thought - $7 a 12 pack? Why not?

3.03/5  rDev +23.2%

24oz can, one of those 'get rid of yer pocket change (which includes 1 dollar bills) as you buy your last relatively inexpensive tank of gas in the closest border town before leaving the United States for Canada' sort of ill-advised purchases.

This beer pours a crystal clear, pale golden yellow colour, with two fingers of puffy, very, very loosely foamy, and mostly just fizzy dirty white head, which leaves absolutely zilch in the way of lace anywhere in the vicinity of the glass as it quickly disappears.

It smells of overly sweet corn syrup and a commensurate, um, 'graininess', paint thinner, subtle sulfur (not something I'd ever thought I'd write), astringent and banal by the same token fruity notes, and a bristling and tickling alcohol, er, meanness. The taste is wet corn bread, one that has been stupidly soaked in cheap grain alcohol, more acetone unpleasantness, a strange association with the hotter weizenbocks of the world (banana, yeast, and booze, natch), those used socks and undies that I never really stored properly during my vacation in near 100-degree weather, and, I suppose, a few proclaimed 'select hops' that are anything but actually tangible - quelle fucking surprise.

The carbonation is fairly light, but still adequately rendered in its sadly playful frothiness, the body a solid-ass middleweight for the style, and not nearly as pithy, clammy, and/or sticky as its afore-alluded to breed. It finishes sweet, yet moderated in a sense, but not by hop, malt, adjunct or alcohol - nope, just by my ironic lack of, well, anything, right now.

Yeah, this is indeed malt likka, and no, I'm not really drinking this for the pleasure of the pursuit of craft beer (so sue me), but rather because I drove for 8 hours today, only a 'portion' of it under the duress of a strapped to his seat, screaming toddler, and didn't quite get home. So - overall, this doesn't totally suck balls - but it does tease and play with them, more than a little.

People review this like it is supposed to be some kind of craft brew. No it isn't. This company makes tons of money. If they wanted to spend that whipping up something that is crafty and used great ingredients they could do it... I promise you they could. But they are marketing this somewhere else. It is an inexpensive and relatively easy drinking and good tasting way to get a lot of alcohol in your system. That's it. Stop reviewing beers like this the way you guys do. That would be like me going into a mcdonalds and reviewing their big mac as if it was a dish served to me in a five star restaurant that I paid 50 dollars for. No. It's just maid to be cheap and taste pretty good.

2.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I was bored and thirsty tonight in the Inland Empire due to the fucked up weather and suprise heat, so I cruised down to AM/PM. Being that it was on a whim and I didn't feel like spending the big bucks, I picked up a 3 pack of tall boys. What the fuck was I thinking? After the 1st tall can, I got nauseous and ended up puking just a bit. Possibly because of the foam? Who knows. Anyhow... Because I'm a bad ass, I continued. After the 2nd can; I was on a a decent one. So much that I walked inside the house and started playing some Johnny Cash on the stereo. I'm sitting here on the couch thinking "should I go gerab the third tall can?". I probably will and I will finish it. My review may seem shitty and it actually suits this bullshit brew. It fucking sucks in regards to taste and all the other categories, but what the fuck do you expect from it? It's a cheap, shitty lager. Strong as Satan's pitchfork and tastes like a hat full of Assholes...but what the fuck do you expect for the price. People rating this an lower than a 3 are all Assholes. It is what it is mother fuckers. You know what you got yourself into. Come correct with your judging you prissy fucks. I bought it for one reason and one reason only...to get smashed for the lowest price point possible. They make money and keep it on the market for a reason. Fuck it....I'm walking to my fridge as I type this, to grab that last tall can. Like Michael Buffer says, "IT'S TIME!!!!!!" I live around an awesome array of Micro Breweries and trust me, I Mich rather go there and indulge. However, the timing does not permit it.

This shit is insanely strong and will kick you in the balls. Better yet.... If makes me feel like a dinosaur. I'm in a slap fight and I'm a T-Rex... Just getting fucked up during this battle of Palms vs. Face. Did I expect any different? Absolutely not. Can cracked and I'm ready to go. Stogie is lit and it's time for battle. After all I've said...all I have to say is................

1.75/5  rDev -28.9%

It's time to party like you're late to your parole hearing. If I'm ever in the mood to go all-out raging drunk, I'll pound two Steely's and then argue with my mother about who's going to do the laundry. There's a reason the gutters of Chicago have rich deposits of empty Steel Reserve cans--the Windy City knows how to party.

Serious beer for serious bros. If you want to bro down and impress that babes that know how to party, drink the high gravity lager. 2 tall boys and you will be flying high. This isn't a craft. This isn't a trendy beer. This is a malt for college kids getting after it. And you rate how crazy you want your night to be, by the number of steels you put down. Every now and then I get a few to reminisce.

2.58/5  rDev +4.9%

After having one I decided to see what everyone thought. After seeing all the bad comments , I decided I better crack open another one to study it more carefully. An igot a new buzz, his name is percy he's a happy lil buzz. So, I got alot of head from the first one, as I poured this one from the wide mouth can into my glass, no head this time. I'm surprised that my yellow beer in my blue glass doesn't look green that defys science so its got that going for it. I don't smell much of anything to write about when I take a whiff. Goes down pretty smooth, with a tad bit of beer flavor. I really like the 8.10% effect, I wish they could all be 8% and up for so cheap. Oh whoops, I spoilled the best part its really cheap, $1.29 for 16oz. One will do it, two will make it hard to write a review with no spelling errors. So will I get it again? Oh yeah, sometimes its fun to ride a moped. We just don't want anyone to see us. This is what people who dont drink beer think all beer tastes like. It also reminds me why i like warstiener, bocks, and dopple bocks. I have to go scratch my belly and yell at my cat now. An I got this brand new buzz, his name is 4 and he don't ever do bout nothing at really ever at all my 𠙶 be sure blue steel 211zzzzzzzzzzz.

If you are attempting to judge this beer like it is a fine wine tasting contest, you are in the wrong forum. This High Gravity Lager was brewed for one purpose. High alcohol content. You don't buy these kind of beers for a taste testing contest. It's a man's world. I am a contractor that can buy anything from caviar to Cadillac's. It's a fast buzz with not a lot of effort. It rates high in my world for what a High Gravity Lager is.

*Straight from the 40 oz bottle*

A- Dark urine color with large collar of foam.

S- sickly sweet. Malts and musty, pungent grains. Zero hops.

T- Buttery taste. Overly sweet malts and piss poor grains. Finish was gross. Like wet cardboard with sugar on top. Alcoholic taste and feel is present.

M- heavy mouth feel. Hard to drink. Oily and thick.

Gross. It gets you feeling alcohol's affects quickly.

3.6/5  rDev +46.3%

This is the best inexpensive beer on the market...with a kick to boot! BTW. This stuff is a lager. Can't find the words "Malt Liquor" on the can anywhere.

2.55/5  rDev +3.7%

Steel Reserve 211 is one of the few mainstream malt liquors I have yet to review; in a 40oz bottle nonetheless. Let's set this one on fire.

Appearance - Clear, light amber with a pure-white head.

Smell - Smells of malt and strong, looming alcohol. Almost ominous, as if it's slowly approaching your body in the darkest of ways.

Taste - Tastes precisely like a malt liquor, with heavy malt character, cheap grain, and alcohol that packs an identifiable sting. This isn't as pungent as Camo Silver Ice but not as smooth and almost refreshing as Colt 45 or King Cobra. It's a middling offering, but it does its job, which means it gets substantial credit.

Mouthfeel - Crisp (!), clean, and leaves its alcohol all over your mouth to remind you what you just did.

3.28/5  rDev +33.3%

When it comes to malt liquor I grade on taste alone, because malt liquor is meant to be SLAMED. “Slow brewed for exceptional smooth flavor”. You can always tell how good a malt liquor is by the amount of lies on the can. All right here we go. What the hell man? I just opened the can and I didn’t get the snake hiss I’m so accustomed to. Damn I can smell the alcohol running from the can like the devil is chasing it. Ok, sucked down ¼ of the can and it taste like a green apple jolly rancher. I’ve literally had 100’s of 211’s and this is the first time it didn’t taste like malt liquor, sweet gasoline ,and heat. I must have a bad can. Which raises the question, do bad cans of 211 get better with age? Alright round 2, here we go…. Ughhhh never mind I take it all back. I just killed the can and it’s fighting me back causing ripples of chills throughout my body. This is the taste I’m accustoming to…. Alcohol and a funk that shifts its flavor so fast you don’t know what the hell you’re drinking. This is definitely an acquired taste. The reason why I like 211 is because it floods my mind with memories of Jr High. It’s like time traveling back to the time when all we could afford was 40oz’s and tall cans. Overall it taste awful. But the memories I’ve had with this shit keeps me coming back. I mean come-on this was my first taste of independence. 211 delivers a hard ass buzz for only 8.1% ABV

3.66/5  rDev +48.8%

Presentation: 24 oz sliver can with eye catching fonts and "buy me" wording.

Appearance: Crystal clear light amber golden in colour with a minimal lace formed by a champagne like carbonation.

Smell: Light malt aroma with a faint acidic and noticeable alcoholic nose to follow.

Taste: Medium to full body with a definite crisp carbonation. On the sweet side. Clean slightly stripped malty palate, strong spicy alcohol presence with a trace acidic hoppy twang. Little bit of cooked corn flavour and sweet dextrin from the residual sugar. After taste is very clean with just remnants of the spicy warming alcohol.

Notes: One of the most drinkable malt liquors I have tasted, one of the more alcoholic ones I have run into also. Even when it warms up a bit it does not get ghastly like other malt liquors do.

4.04/5  rDev +64.2%

Come on people. This is cheap, strong beer, nothing more and nothing less. Sure, I like expensive strong beer, like Dogfish Head 90 minute a lot better, but for what it is, SR tastes pretty good. If you don't think so, try Hurricane, its direct competition from AB.

When I used to drink malt liquors I thought this was the worst of them all. Big malt, nasty, foul flavors on this beer. It was the lowest of the low and I would never touch it again as there are better malt liquor beers out there than this.

3.26/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: pale gold

S: Malt liquor meets strong ale

T: like a malt liquor american strong ale! terrific.

M: Feels nice in there. Medium light to medium viscosity

O: much better than I had anticipated. This brew gets a bad rep in my opinion.

2.86/5  rDev +16.3%

well it does no justice, but it will get you piss drunk... i can only drink one

It's an Apples and Oranges test if you compare Steel Reserve to highly delicate crafted micro brews. In fact it's insulting to make the comparison in the first place. However having said that, and after taking another glorious gulp of my 24 oz Steel Reserve, it's a great beer if you just rate itself and forget all the other legends. For starters it's a acquired taste of strong and bold rich barely, sweet and bitter all at the same time. The After taste is also need of acquiring. Luckily I have acquired all of the above. Price point is unbeatable, for $1.50 not too shabby (You won't go bankrupt with this financial decision). The high alcohol content of 8.1% is mind blowing (You won't get that same effect with say coors light or bud). I've coined the nickname "A Quick Cheap Drunk" :p . Best way to drink this like almost all good beers, "ICE COLD." . "It's a Mans Beer," my girlfriend doesn't understand why I love it so much (even though she likes drinking some of the worst hard alcohol on the planet). BACK STORY It's the beer I have grown up with, when I was once a poor country boy. I continue to drink in delight :) (You heard me right), I steel love it after all the other hand crafted beers I have been opened up to throughout the years. It's beer and it get's me in gear so have no fear. I shout out, "I love steel reserve beer." with an all out cheer :D

look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Taking a dump. On my iPhone. Bacheloring it up.

Poured into pint glass for proper reviewing.

Appearance : straight out of the tall can it pours a frothy, full head about 3.5 fingers tall. The body is a pleasant golden glow. Mostly transparent.

Aroma : steel, corn, more corn, faint dirty hop leaf. Mostly stale corn in a grain bin though.

Taste : very smooth in its abundant nothingness. The 8.1% is definitely there but you barely taste it. It's more like you FEEL it. Towards the end it's got an earthy hop but its like, rotten or something. A whole lot of floaty alcohol flavors with a bit of that rotten garbage hop. Hey, it's better than i thought it would be.

Mouthfeel : very smooth, light bodied, slightly grainy in texture.

Overall : won't buy it again. But if you really want to say goodbye to sobriety for a night, this will do the trick without tasting like a dirty diaper.

4.5/5  rDev +82.9%

Wow! I read what the Bro's rated and was surprised that so cheap a beer would be rated that high. Finally got the nerve to put out 3$ for a 4 pack in aluminum cans.. I was a little embarased feeling like a brown bagger homeless guy.... Poured it in a glass when I got home and everything looked perfect. Nice foam nice lacing..... Nice smell.. Taste?? OMG this is nice....smoothe with no hint of being out of a can!! I can't believe it! Only rated a 4.5 because this lager (not malt liquor) needs just a tad more hop to be as 5. Bye Bye yuengaling.... This is my new normal drinker!!! Might even consider living on the streets to enjoy ..... Nah...

2.44/5  rDev -0.8%

There are two ways to review this.
I could review it as a beer, where I have expectations of taste, smell and texture, or I could review it for what it is, a one way ticket to getting plastered.

Something about the smell mixed with the taste is a little offensive to me. I've had Colt 45 a long time ago, and this is pretty comparable. It's earned it's place on 7-11 shelves next to the PBR and Rolling Rock (though I prefer those to this), but I probably won't get this again, unless I'm planning on getting properly drunk for cheap.

Actually, after a second sip from the can, with little smell, I find the taste a bit unpleasant. However, for it's kick of alcohol, it hides it reasonably well, though it's still noticeable. Probably haven't had a beer that tasted worse than this, but that's probably more due to my good judgement, which has been put to the test tonight.

Serious beer for washing away serious problems. Put down enough of these, and you'll be hurting the next day. But in the meantime, what a ride.

3.5/5  rDev +42.3%

great for a quick buzz. don't drink too much or you will pay for it the next morning , for sure.

2.49/5  rDev +1.2%

First, the listed style is incorrect. This is not a malt liquor, it's a "high gravity lager". The label actually has the phrase "select hops".

Poured from a 24 oz can ($1.79 plus tax and deposit) into a Tripel Karmeliet chalice.

L - Crystal clear light-golden. One inch snow white head dissipates almost immediately leaving but a trace of lacing.

S - Sweet grains. No hops (select or otherwise).

T - Light sweet malt, plastic rice, with a bit of a tang at the end. A corny aftertaste. No alcohol burn at all. The hop presence is homeopathic at best. There's a taste that sticks to the roof of your mouth... like after you eat a crappy piece of candy like a Chocolate Cow Tale.

F - Light and sticky. Medium carbonation.

O - Only mildly offensive. If you were forced to drink a crappy adjunct lager you could do worse.

1.28/5  rDev -48%

I can not even review this nasty beer..it was great in high school seeing as it was only $1.10... I can't even stand the smell of this anymore..used to drink it like water..it tastes like metal to me, funny because its "steel reserve". My opinions to you are, if your really low on money "and I meen LOW" go ahead.. DO NOT DRINK THIS OR YOUR GUNNA PROLLY END UP OVER THE TOILILET OR IN FIGHT WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company