Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
Reviews: 520 | Hads: 1,106

I am of the belief that a true beer lover ought to love all kinds of brew - from craft beers to dirt-cheap malt liquors. (I paid $1.99 for a 24 oz can of Steel Reserve at Rite Aid. Drank this beer very cold not warm. It taste very foul warm. Just warning !

Appearance : One inch head . It disappeared real quick
Smell corn mash, pale malt, alcohol and faint hops.
Taste : It tasted malt, sweet malt, cereal grains some hints of metal and a small amount of hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel It was average, the body medium and the carbonation good. Best when damn near frozen, . If you gotta go Malt, it's a cheap, classic choice. This beer is best of the American Malt Liquor!

Serious beer for serious bros. If you want to bro down and impress that babes that know how to party, drink the high gravity lager. 2 tall boys and you will be flying high. This isn't a craft. This isn't a trendy beer. This is a malt for college kids getting after it. And you rate how crazy you want your night to be, by the number of steels you put down. Every now and then I get a few to reminisce.

It's an Apples and Oranges test if you compare Steel Reserve to highly delicate crafted micro brews. In fact it's insulting to make the comparison in the first place. However having said that, and after taking another glorious gulp of my 24 oz Steel Reserve, it's a great beer if you just rate itself and forget all the other legends. For starters it's a acquired taste of strong and bold rich barely, sweet and bitter all at the same time. The After taste is also need of acquiring. Luckily I have acquired all of the above. Price point is unbeatable, for $1.50 not too shabby (You won't go bankrupt with this financial decision). The high alcohol content of 8.1% is mind blowing (You won't get that same effect with say coors light or bud). I've coined the nickname "A Quick Cheap Drunk" :p . Best way to drink this like almost all good beers, "ICE COLD." . "It's a Mans Beer," my girlfriend doesn't understand why I love it so much (even though she likes drinking some of the worst hard alcohol on the planet). BACK STORY It's the beer I have grown up with, when I was once a poor country boy. I continue to drink in delight :) (You heard me right), I steel love it after all the other hand crafted beers I have been opened up to throughout the years. It's beer and it get's me in gear so have no fear. I shout out, "I love steel reserve beer." with an all out cheer :D

Best thing to ever grace my taste buds. First one and I was hooked. I twisted off the golden cap and was immediately bombarded with an aromatic burst of floral, citrusy, earthy hop-o-rama. This little golden honey delighted my teeth, tongue, gums, and gullet. It is also a wicked good aphrodisiac. My homebum partner was more than willing to relinquish his cardboard shelter for a single sip of this malty delicacy. Yes! This is truly the nectar of the gods!

I LOVE this beer! I don't see how people are being this great beer such low ratings. This beer is the best beer! I will pick this beer over any other beer any day! It gets you drunk, and I think it tastes pretty good! and I think this great beer deserves a 5 star!! People who are giving this beer low ratings are probably the people who think bud light is the best beer or something. Anyway I wish you could buy this beer in a 24 pack! Not so I could drink it all in one night, but just so I could have some Steel Reserve in fridge for days!

If you are attempting to judge this beer like it is a fine wine tasting contest, you are in the wrong forum. This High Gravity Lager was brewed for one purpose. High alcohol content. You don't buy these kind of beers for a taste testing contest. It's a man's world. I am a contractor that can buy anything from caviar to Cadillac's. It's a fast buzz with not a lot of effort. It rates high in my world for what a High Gravity Lager is.

4.8/5  rDev +95.1%

This is to offset all the beer snobs who get excited over a Jacksonville Pale Ale that's $15 for a six pack.

Get off your high horses.

This "malt liquor" is.... well, it goes down like a Miller Lite.

$3.75 for 4 16oz's 8.1ABV = Trick

under $4 and I'm going to bed early.

Seriously. I'm sick of the snobs hating on shit just because you can find it at a convenience store.

This stuff does the trick, for the price, the drinkability is not harsh at all - it goes down and gets you where you need to be.

Fast. Cheap. Taste Good.

The End.

Now go sample you're Johnson Farms Natural Spring Water Lite Lager with hints of Juniper and give it a 3/5 because it doesn't have a "strong mouth feel"

Over and out,

4.52/5  rDev +83.7%

This is a definate comparison to other malt liquors (as I've had the misfortune of having many). With that in mind, I believe this to be the king of all domestic, inexpensive, malt liquors. The look and smell are fairly average, as one would expect nothing more than straw yellow and a sour, bready smell. It is where the taste and mouthfeel come into play that brings this above the King Cobra's and Shlitz's. At 8.1% ABV, this thing is packed full of malt. So instead of having the watery, grainy taste of the other malt liquors, this has some *oomph* to it.

After a few swigs the feel of the alcohol goes away completely and all one tastes is the sour apple sweet malt. At $1.29, this runs about average to other ML's in the area, but with it's much better than average taste and definite higher alcohol, it gets the job done in a much more palatable way than good 'ole Old English 800 or King Cobra.

4.5/5  rDev +82.9%

Wow! I read what the Bro's rated and was surprised that so cheap a beer would be rated that high. Finally got the nerve to put out 3$ for a 4 pack in aluminum cans.. I was a little embarased feeling like a brown bagger homeless guy.... Poured it in a glass when I got home and everything looked perfect. Nice foam nice lacing..... Nice smell.. Taste?? OMG this is nice....smoothe with no hint of being out of a can!! I can't believe it! Only rated a 4.5 because this lager (not malt liquor) needs just a tad more hop to be as 5. Bye Bye yuengaling.... This is my new normal drinker!!! Might even consider living on the streets to enjoy ..... Nah...

4.5/5  rDev +82.9%

I too, am not snobbish for beer. My palate is wide open for different flavors from lager like this up to Sculpin, Pliny and HopSlam.

A: Light gold with bright white 3 finger head and good carbonation.

S: Like a malt lager!! Nothing exceptional, as expected.

T: Very lager-ish, but when chilled to almost slushiness, it is very refreshing and pleasant. The rather high 8.3% ABV doesn't show in the taste, the flavor of alcohol is rather limited.

O: The price for this is exceptional too, at $6.99 a 12-pack, $1.99 for a large 22oz bomber, etc. Beware the high ABV, this beer will definitely knock you on your butt if you drink too much!!

4.3/5  rDev +74.8%

A malt beer. poured from a can, ice cold, beautiful light orange color with lacing down the glass as it is consumed.

smell is of roasted corn, hardly any sulphur as I'd expect.

Taste is a clean malt no hop bitterness and carbonation is as expected with a malt liquor.

mouthfeel. very thin, easy to drink and the alcohol is hidden very well and you could possibly drink this pretty quickly ice cold.

Overall a good go to beer for me for those cheap times. I really like malt liquor beers so I'm kinda biased. That said, I do this for all beers I review. I respect all the styles. This one is a wonderful malt liquor with wonderful clarity and lots of maltiness

4.28/5  rDev +74%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is from a 40oz bottle poured into a glass mug. The 8.1% ABV.

A- Dark yellow/golden color. Three finger head fizzles slowly to a small head, a little more than a film of foam. Bubbles are streaming up. Looks quite good. Leaves long strands of lacing.

S- Malts, Grainy, Alcohol, Corn.

T- Sweet maltiness is the major flavor. A little corn, but doesn't stand out too much. Alcohol taste is there, but it blends well into the taste. The sweet malt taste lingers to savor it.

M- Medium with a syrupy slick mouthfeel. It fits.

Drinkability- This is surprisingly drinkable.

O- Overall, this is a great malt liquor. It has a good taste, way better than Hurricane HG by a long shot.

4.25/5  rDev +72.8%

okay,to preface this review i don't think anybody drinks steel reserve for the taste. if you do,taste is subjective and i commend you.while i don't think the steel tastes bad (my friends tell me i'm crazy for liking the taste,i say it puts hair on your chest.despite the fact that i have no hair on my chest.)

what do you expect,it's about a buck for a 24 oz can? malt sweetness and fusel oil dominate (and by dominate,i mean give you a hang over). i honestly feel like most people don't rate this beer within it's style.yeah it's malt liquor,it's not an imperial ipa or a belgian quad. barely any hop presences,as expected.

if you're trying to get to where you need to go (with mostly shortcuts),this is the malt liquor for you.being a college student,this is better than pee-water (natty light),and actually has flavor to it (flavor being subjective of course.)

4.23/5  rDev +72%

Never done a beer review..

well Ive got the fancy new black can. I thought it looked flashy and nice, and my graphic designer wife, thought it wasnt bad (which is practically adoration coming from her).

It looks.. well it doesnt look great. It retains no head, is clear and watery. pale to golden in coloring. what it does retain though is a gentle, subtle,bubbling brewing, just to let you know its still a beer.

Smell. Not so good. Kinda smells like a $1.49 24oz er, which is exactly what youd expect I guess. smells just slightly sweet. almost like bland biscuits.

Taste. I opened this can with hopeful expectations, but not expecting what I found. The taste is incredibly smooth. Tastes well I couldnt say what it tasted like.... Ive been a smoker up until a couple weeks ago so I guess my sense of taste might not be the best. but I like it. its unique, smooth, palatable. Very malty obviously. Its Steel Reserve.

Feel. it felt solid. substantial. Ive sipped on it so much now trying to make this review, that its gone, so Im workin on memory. but I felt like it felt thick, even though it wasnt thick. cause the flavor is well rounded and bold. Comes across as liquid bread. If you like bread... -and if you like beer. you probably like bread - . its nice. filling. its soft. kinda comforting.

all in all I would rate it a 5. Ive tasted many many beers, and this 5 is relative to its price. for $1.50 theres nothing better.

4.2/5  rDev +70.7%

I just saw this in the store today, came home read reviews here, wnet back and bought a 12 pack, it's the 6%abv version(I was hoping for 8%) I gave it a 4 on looks simple because I like darker colored beers. A 4 on smell because it didn't smell like corn to me. It gets a 5 for taste I really like the taste, my first impression was a fruity flavor, then it went to a malty taste, I did not find it bitter at all but thats because I drink Irish beer regularly, it did not remind me of malt liquor at all. I gave it a 2 for feel it was very watery to me, over all I rate it a 4 because of the color. The lady at the package store told me that stuff is evil! lmao! Will I buy this again yes I will, It taste very good with a bowl of chili, they paired up wonderfully! I have a strong feeling this should be used in moderation, I have a hunch a night of hitting this heavey will kick yer ass the next day, just saying!

4.1/5  rDev +66.7%

For the price, it's very nice.
I'm not a beer snob, but for the price this beer packs a punch. It tastes good/great, and it goes down really smooth and hits hard in terms of giving you a buzz...

Best served ice cold. This is one of those beers that tastes like pee if it's warm, but actually tastes great when it's cold.

My overall rating factors in price.

4.04/5  rDev +64.2%

Come on people. This is cheap, strong beer, nothing more and nothing less. Sure, I like expensive strong beer, like Dogfish Head 90 minute a lot better, but for what it is, SR tastes pretty good. If you don't think so, try Hurricane, its direct competition from AB.

4.01/5  rDev +63%

I've drunk this beer from time to time over several months, always served in glass from the 40 oz. bottles. The color is a fresh yellow tinged toward green rather than red, the aroma is slight, the head is sturdy at first but doesn't last, giving way to a lacy residue. While this beer has never bowled me over in the way that certain German, Czech and Dutch lagers/pilsners have, it is nevertheless of a reliably high quality and remarkably satisfying to drink. I find it difficult to imagine how it can have rated such low grades, unless the previous evaluators simply don't like lagers.

One of my favorite high gravity lagers. It's not that offensive going down for what it is, not heavily carbonated. The alcohol bite is of course there but it's not overwhelming and washes away rather quickly. Up front it has a slightly sweet corny/bread like note to it. For about 2 dollars a 24oz of a cheap drunk it's not bad at all. Great to crack open on a late afternoon with some snacks and music.

I kinda like this stuff. It goes down well and is extremely economical. It is fairly smooth and doesn't leave the nasty after-taste of many malt liquers. It seems a bit "thick" as if it were higher-gravity. It gives a good buzz and I don,t get buzzed all that easily. Must be popular as I have to keep asking the manager at Rite-aid to stock some more. He always seems to have it, just not in the cooler. That or theres only 1 can left. Sure, there are way better and stronger beers but not for $1.29 per 24oz!
I can get a pretty good buzz on 1 can. I drink it in about 10 minutes, "normal for me" and thats about as cheap a buzz you can find in these parts.

3.94/5  rDev +60.2%

Poured from a 24 FL. OZ. can. It is the typical dark urine color that most malt liquors have. It may look average, but for a malt liquor it's not bad at all. It has a clean, sweet, corny aroma and the flavor is similar, but it is not bad considering what it is. Sure the other beers in my refrigerator are better, but they are also not malt liquor. If I want a decent, cheap, quick beer drunk, I will be looking for some Steel Reserve.

3.94/5  rDev +60.2%

Chill hazed urine yellow with a quickly dissipated white head but nice active carbonation. Decent malt aroma and flavor with just a touch of adjuncts. Nicely balanced; no hops really noticeable but it is certianly not sweet considering the ABV. Medium-full bodied and fairly clean for the style.

A costly example of the style but worth it in comparison.

Can States: "Fort Worth" & "Extra Malted Barley and Select Hops For Extra Gravity" & "Slow Brewed For a Minimum of 28 Days"

($1.49 / 24 oz. tall aluminum can)

3.93/5  rDev +59.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

If you wanna get drunk for cheap, this is the best beer you can buy. Pretty good taste and really kicks your ass. I get the 40 oz bottles and drink two and I'm feeling great. It's definitely a get drunk beer not one to really relax and enjoy or if you're thirsty.

3.9/5  rDev +58.5%

I'll have to agree with the Bros on this one. We've been drinking this beer for a while on "special occasions" and its become one of our dirty little secrets. I smoke meats which becomes an all-day event. Since the hops in this brew are so low and we drink it out of cans, there is no skunking problem and the alcohol delivery is appropriate to the activity.

Recently we've noticed a distinct improvement in the product with a lightening of the body, an improvement in yeast by products (lower fusels and esters) and a much cleaner, lighter and crisper finish, not unlike a Belgian tripel. No, this is not Belgian style beer but there are some similarities and I often pour it into a Belgian glass and present it to friends to see their reaction, most all aren't fooled but get the comparison.

You can pour it into a glass, I usually use a Belgian goblet, but, its totally optional and probably does not improve the experience. It pours a nice golden with a sprightly carbonation with a thin wispy head.

The aroma is malt dominated with notes of corn and yeasty spice. This is one of the areas of recent improvement.

The body is medium full, another area of improvement. It really begs to be gulped and goes down very smoothly, in spite of its carbonation.

The finish is now decidedly dry for a beer of such body. The finish is relatively clean with a presence of alcohol, malt smoothness and a little yeasty spicy funk.

Overall, this is a Malt Liquor of the highest order. Its 8.1% alcohol is formidable in 16 and 24 ounce cans. While it may not be totally respectable in all social occasions, it has a place and time. Considering the price... as long as no one is looking, give it a try really cold.

3.89/5  rDev +58.1%

Pours dark yellow with a thin fizzy head.

Aroma is pale malt with a touch of lemon and crisp hop.

Taste is similar to the nose. Pale grainy malt, with a hint of cracker. Finishes dry and crisp with some light citrus and a bit of a musty quality.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied.

Not something I would normally drink, but based on the style I have to admit it is pretty good. There is a surprising amount of flavor to this one. Better than you would expect.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company