Join our email list →

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company
California, United States | website

American Malt Liquor | 8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
Reviews: 526 | Hads: 1,130
3.43/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On the docket: 24 oz. can of Steel Reserve Brewing Co.’s Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity 8.1%). Best by: June 16th, 2016.

Poured into: Chimay Chalice… yep… you read that right

S: Crystal clear and pale gold body. Head forms quickly, then cedes to a tiny white ring on top. A small whirlpool of suds floats in the center. Due to the beautiful fleur de lis etched into the bottom of the chalice, the bubbles are streaming up in a column to the surface. No lacing.

A: Sweet, cooked corn-like bouquet with a dash of paint-thinner and vegetal thrown in for complexity.

T: Frighteningly reminiscent of an American Amber Lager produced in Pennsylvania, but lacking the depth of that one produced since 1829. Corn, sweet malt, a swish of husk. I also get just a hint of dextrin you find in a German bock (Gott im Himmel!). Lastly, the alcohol rears its head. You know, I was expecting something vile. I’m a little disappointed. Oh, yeah, no discernable hop presence. It’s got to be here somewhere. Are you there hops? It’s me, John.

F: Medium thin body and very crisp. When consumed on the chilly, “the mountains are blue” side, it’s nearly refreshing. Good effervescence, but not as scrubby as say, a Belgian Tripel, which really should go into the glass next, as an apology to all those monks over there in cassocks and shriven heads. As it warms, it becomes a bit slicker and oilier.

O: Oddly surprised. I mean, it’s no bourbon-barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout, but certainly not the most disgusting adult beverage I’ve tasted. By the way, if you want to know what 1,000 monks gently weeping sounds like, pour something like this into branded glassware of a Trappist brewery. I heard them, and I almost wept, too.

S: 3.75 A: 3.25 T: 3.5 F: 3.25 O: 3.5

Suggested food pairing: Funyuns, Slim Jims, Pork Rinds, a pack of Pall Mall cigarettes, a night of bad decisions, regret

4.6/5  rDev +87%

Most ppl don't drink what i drink. I like a beer with a sweet flavor and a non-bitter after taste. And if ya like a big kick to boot then you got that here also. I can promise ya I have drank more 211 than any 3 ppl rating this beer, most likely the whole panel. This has been my favorite beer for the last 4 years. (90% SR, 10% yingling.

2.99/5  rDev +21.5%

Clear golden color. Huge, frothy head with excellent retention and leaves distinct lace shapes all over the glass. Surprisingly appealing to the eye.

Aroma of metal and adjuncts. Tastes like steel infused multivitamins. Detecting just a hint of malt and faint herbal hops. Adjuncts and metal dominate the rest of the way. Getting a heavy dose of stale corn in the end. Medium body. Gritty texture. Crispish finish.

May be one of the better malt liquors out there but that's not saying much.

1.2/5  rDev -51.2%

This malt liquor is one that is truly disgusting, but you have to start somewhere I guess. Color was typical of a malt liquor. Smell was booze right up front. I also smelled green apples in this beer as well. Not good. Taste was also pretty boozy with a warming sensation. Drink only to get thoroughly and totally intoxicated.

1.33/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Haven't had this in years but just saw a review and had to laugh.

I remember the pungent puke smell resonating the classic 40oz widemouth! Sure its clear, its kind of drinkable, and very warming.

With that being said, I wouldn't ever drink this stuff again unless I was magically transported to a frat party when I was 18

1.59/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

This is crap. Pours out a urine colored beer.

The smell is an overly sweet treacly smell reminiscent of vomit.

Seriously I cannot continue this review as a serious review. This crap is so damn bad I have to say you really need to drink this one cold and drink it fast. There are so many other beers out there that there is something seriously wrong if you cannot find an alternative to purchase. Please listen folks this is a high ABV sickly sweet malt bomb that is really not worth the money. Buy something else folks!

3.57/5  rDev +45.1%

Gets the job done.

Taste: Enough.
Drunkenness: Yes.

Of all the 7-11 bottom rack beers priced under $2.79 per 24 Oz. can, Steel Reserve stands
head and shoulders above the competition.

1. It is better tasting than Mickey's, Hurricane, and Olde English.
2. It has twice the potency of Miller High Life, PBR, and Bud.
3. It is at least $0.50 cheaper than any of the above. What's not to love?

That's why I keep coming back to Steelys. And still do!
The Steely is mild and sweet, with high carbonation and a tolerably weird aftertaste. Better drunk cold and fast.

2.68/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pale gold (4) pour with large loose white foam; long lasting cap retention and spotty lace. Grainy biscuit nose. Biscuits and grainy malt flavor, and a lite bitter bite on tip of my tongue. Super carbonated, lite watery mouthfeel. Overall, fairly tame, but there is a an odd bitter hop linger.

Now the BROS have it right. If you are an avid drinker aka an alcoholic this is a go to beer when your in between paychecks. Taste might be a little too much to deal with if your a pussy who prefers Michelob ultra or budlight which is basically everyone in this region. Its quantity over quality. This beverage doesn't get the credibility it deserves.

1.81/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Drank out of a 40 oz. bottle, this has a harsh unpleasant taste with a overpowering sweet corn and metallic smell. It is very thick and carbonated. I would only recommend this because it is cheap and it will get you trashed. I don't really know what the "Bros" were thinking on this. If you actually want a good malt liquor, pick King Cobra or Olde English.

3.11/5  rDev +26.4%

Best beer in this category. Miller? could very easy turn this into a double IPL adding for hop costs should only add a two or three bucks to a 12pack. What are they waiting for? Steel Reserve DOUBLE !

2.33/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer is simply a great buy. A smooth malt that is cheap and strong. You just simply won't find another 40 that gives you what the Steel Reserve High Gravity gives you. Go the the liquor store with 5 bucks and some change. Grab 2 of these puppies and you are headed to a nice night.

2.2/5  rDev -10.6%

Packs a nice wallop, but I find it a little too cloyingly sweet for my taste. I wouldn't turn one down if offered, but it's nowhere near the top of my list.

1.66/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

I tried this just because i could, it smelled like watered down witch hazel, or nail polish remover. I couldn't take more than two sips. Very strong astringency. Off putting.

2.23/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Poured a golden hue with a thick head that dissipated quickly. Smelled sweet with hints of corn and malt. Tasted somewhat sweet and malty. The feel however had some bitterness and was harsh. Nothing was great about this beer.

3.74/5  rDev +52%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

(24 oz can of the 8.1%, 'slow-brewed' reserve - poured into a wine glass, as has been custom lately)

L: ultra-clear, ur-ine gold color with a fizzy head atop... nice glow, but looks like the (cold-filtered) piss of a wino

S: apple juice and honey-smooched cereal... that familiar, often bubblegum ester-y overtone, bordering on solvent-like, though snuggle-soft in intensity... maybe a bit floral on the edges too... fairly potent and sweet-tooth inviting overall

T: first impression - a super-malty adjunct lager - tastes just like a shaker of bud with about a 1/4 cup of dextrin syrup added... mildly grassy finish and aftertaste with a lasting mellow bitterness, and actually pretty dry on the back end... the malt goodness builds with each sip - lightly toasty and sweetish

F: quite round and smooth up front, but finishes remarkably light and dry... very little fizz

O: notably drier than its flavors suggest... overall, certainly one of the tighter constructs in this genre... ain't quite on par with a Mickey's, but I could definitely see hittin' this again

3.6/5  rDev +46.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The first time I had this stuff was waaaay back in 03 when a me and my buddy went to Cleveland to hang out with his baby's momma's cousins. It's not the best tasting stuff in the world, but one thing it WILL do is get you shit-faced. Just make sure you don't let it get warm because it tastes like elephant piss then. But hell, after a couple, you won't even know the difference. That's all it takes is two tall boys, and you'll be feeling pretty good, I'm reminiscing and polishing off my first as I write this review. I don't give a shit about the head, color, or smell, the only thing I care about is if it will get you hammered, and with a resounding YES, this undoubtedly will. What in the hell is the "feel" of a beer anyway? Just DRINK it and get smashed, that's all that matters. Stop being so prissy and just drink the shit already.

3.4/5  rDev +38.2%

Cheapest drinkable beer in my hometown for sometime... A major upgrade over the old school American malt liquors when it hit the market and still a decent standby when you need a decent drink and you've only got coins in your pocket. I love good beer, but if I'd have been the beer snob I am today in my 20's, I wouldn't own a house today. Not the best for the palate or the nose, but you cant beat the "quality" for the price.

3.03/5  rDev +23.2%

24oz can, one of those 'get rid of yer pocket change (which includes 1 dollar bills) as you buy your last relatively inexpensive tank of gas in the closest border town before leaving the United States for Canada' sort of ill-advised purchases.

This beer pours a crystal clear, pale golden yellow colour, with two fingers of puffy, very, very loosely foamy, and mostly just fizzy dirty white head, which leaves absolutely zilch in the way of lace anywhere in the vicinity of the glass as it quickly disappears.

It smells of overly sweet corn syrup and a commensurate, um, 'graininess', paint thinner, subtle sulfur (not something I'd ever thought I'd write), astringent and banal by the same token fruity notes, and a bristling and tickling alcohol, er, meanness. The taste is wet corn bread, one that has been stupidly soaked in cheap grain alcohol, more acetone unpleasantness, a strange association with the hotter weizenbocks of the world (banana, yeast, and booze, natch), those used socks and undies that I never really stored properly during my vacation in near 100-degree weather, and, I suppose, a few proclaimed 'select hops' that are anything but actually tangible - quelle fucking surprise.

The carbonation is fairly light, but still adequately rendered in its sadly playful frothiness, the body a solid-ass middleweight for the style, and not nearly as pithy, clammy, and/or sticky as its afore-alluded to breed. It finishes sweet, yet moderated in a sense, but not by hop, malt, adjunct or alcohol - nope, just by my ironic lack of, well, anything, right now.

Yeah, this is indeed malt likka, and no, I'm not really drinking this for the pleasure of the pursuit of craft beer (so sue me), but rather because I drove for 8 hours today, only a 'portion' of it under the duress of a strapped to his seat, screaming toddler, and didn't quite get home. So - overall, this doesn't totally suck balls - but it does tease and play with them, more than a little.

Nasty tasting metallic/sweet brew. Will get you drunk,but in my opinion not in a good way. (I felt like absolute crap the next day due to all the toxins in this piss brew.

1.86/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

I was looking in the beer section tonight at the gas station because i'm broke and realized I've never tried this hobo swill (not that i'm above drinking hobo swill), here is my review

A:light clear and crisp with lots of head that very quickly recedes. Much like champagne.

S: sulfur, some fruity esters (not unlike crappy moscato or riesling) , faint malts, slight scents of corn

T-Surprisingly not as bad as the scent. Very sweet with some bastardized banana-esque wheat beer type flavors . Slightly malty. Alcohol only noticeable in the aftertaste. Watch out. I'd imagine this beer could kick some ass.

M-Light, heavy carbonation, easy to throw back.

O-pretty lousy, but i'm not disgusted. I like to think I know good beer from bad beer, but this honestly wasn't as bad as i'd have imagined. No worse than a bud light in my opinion. Definitely not a quality brew but at least Steel Reserve embraces what it is: A cheap, mediocre beer to get drunk on. I've got no objection to any of those descriptors so if you're low on cash and don't mind looking like a hobo, maybe give it a shot.

4.04/5  rDev +64.2%

Come on people. This is cheap, strong beer, nothing more and nothing less. Sure, I like expensive strong beer, like Dogfish Head 90 minute a lot better, but for what it is, SR tastes pretty good. If you don't think so, try Hurricane, its direct competition from AB.

If you are attempting to judge this beer like it is a fine wine tasting contest, you are in the wrong forum. This High Gravity Lager was brewed for one purpose. High alcohol content. You don't buy these kind of beers for a taste testing contest. It's a man's world. I am a contractor that can buy anything from caviar to Cadillac's. It's a fast buzz with not a lot of effort. It rates high in my world for what a High Gravity Lager is.

2.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I was bored and thirsty tonight in the Inland Empire due to the fucked up weather and suprise heat, so I cruised down to AM/PM. Being that it was on a whim and I didn't feel like spending the big bucks, I picked up a 3 pack of tall boys. What the fuck was I thinking? After the 1st tall can, I got nauseous and ended up puking just a bit. Possibly because of the foam? Who knows. Anyhow... Because I'm a bad ass, I continued. After the 2nd can; I was on a a decent one. So much that I walked inside the house and started playing some Johnny Cash on the stereo. I'm sitting here on the couch thinking "should I go gerab the third tall can?". I probably will and I will finish it. My review may seem shitty and it actually suits this bullshit brew. It fucking sucks in regards to taste and all the other categories, but what the fuck do you expect from it? It's a cheap, shitty lager. Strong as Satan's pitchfork and tastes like a hat full of Assholes...but what the fuck do you expect for the price. People rating this an lower than a 3 are all Assholes. It is what it is mother fuckers. You know what you got yourself into. Come correct with your judging you prissy fucks. I bought it for one reason and one reason only...to get smashed for the lowest price point possible. They make money and keep it on the market for a reason. Fuck it....I'm walking to my fridge as I type this, to grab that last tall can. Like Michael Buffer says, "IT'S TIME!!!!!!" I live around an awesome array of Micro Breweries and trust me, I Mich rather go there and indulge. However, the timing does not permit it.

This shit is insanely strong and will kick you in the balls. Better yet.... If makes me feel like a dinosaur. I'm in a slap fight and I'm a T-Rex... Just getting fucked up during this battle of Palms vs. Face. Did I expect any different? Absolutely not. Can cracked and I'm ready to go. Stogie is lit and it's time for battle. After all I've said...all I have to say is................

How the bros rated this at 83 I'll never know. This is shit beer that alcoholics drink when they are broke. This is by far worse than Milwaukee's Beast. Save your money

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company