2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
Ratings: 825 | Reviews: 469 | Show All Ratings:
cliffyp17

New Hampshire

2.6/5  rDev +9.2%

as a person who can drink a fifth of whiskey in a sitting...this beer is a nice light change...and at 8 50 for a 12 pack at cumberlnd farms ...y complain...by no means a bragger but it way better than those that come in a ridiculous 40oz that gets warm half through

03-31-2014 19:22:36 | More by cliffyp17
Emnmarko

2.18/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

A- Pours pale golden and clear. A foamy white Two finger head sits in top for a bit then leaves a slight cap. A lot of active carbonation rolling to the surface of my brewski. Decent lacing throughout.

S- Typical adjunct lager aroma. That's all I've got to say about that.

T- Same as nose. Sweet malts, bready yeast, minimal hop balance. Overly sweet actually. Not too enjoyable.

M- Light bodied for a brew coming in at 8.1%. Still it's got a fizz like a over carbonated soda.

O- This is the perfect beer to bring to your next beer pong tournament hands down. You get the high alcohol content that is awesome, and absolutely no annoying flavor to contend with. You can get f'd up and not have to break the bank in doing so. So game on man, lets do this! In other words, gross.

03-14-2014 00:25:48 | More by Emnmarko
metter98

2.46/5  rDev +3.4%

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that died down rather quickly, leaving a patch of bubbles in the center of the glass and a collar around the edge.
S: Light aromas of fusel alcohol are present in the nose along with some notes of corn adjuncts.
T: The taste starts off with flavors of cooked corn and non-descript malts, which transitions to notes of fusel alcohol, the latter of which lingers through the finish. No sweetness is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I picked up some aromas of fusel alcohol in the smell, but these are completely masked if you drink the beer straight out of the "steel" can, and then the only thing that is somewhat detracting are the flavors of fusel alcohol that linger into the finish. The adjunct malts didn't seem to overpower the taste, but I wasn't keen on the fusel alcohol in the taste.

03-12-2014 03:19:58 | More by metter98
archyquaffer

Montana

3.13/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 24 ounce tallboy into a shaker pint glass. The label says 8.1% ABV. A moderate pour produces about 1.5 inches of a bubbly head that dissipates very quickly, leaving little islets of foam. The color is a pale golden straw with fairly light carbonation. The beer almost seems flat inside of five minutes.

The taste is quite smooth with just a little bit of fruity alcohol notes and maybe just a slight tang of metal. A slight corniness is apparent, but downplayed compared to your average malt liquor. Almost no detectable bitterness from hops, but some fairly complex light malt flavors. It has a fair amount of body but is easy drinking.

I'm on a bit of a malt liquor kick- this one is actually pretty darn good. I think there really is quite a bit of malt here. The taste does not become repugnant as it warms- in fact a bit of complexity is on display. Overall, it is what it is and it ain't half bad.

03-09-2014 03:14:29 | More by archyquaffer
thecheapies

2.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Steel Reserve, poured into a tasting glass. Originally, blind-tasted with 11 other pale lagers. Finishing up the rest of the 24oz can.

Gold color with a weak short-lived head of translucent white. No lacing, trust me.

A spry grain aroma with hints of fruity esters and hints of booze. Very pale cereal malts and a pich of sweetness.

A pale grain opening, followed by a strange cheap white wine fruity ester with a hint of apple. Almost has a character like a Belgian pale, which leads me to believe that the yeast is very much in play here. A little tinny, late, with a semi-sweet outro that has an adjunct-like muck to the finish. Rather smooth, however.

Has a medium carbonation. Maybe a bit more spritz than that. The body is mellow and with some wishy-wash. Okay.

Eh, too obvious. Not enough good stuff. I'm more partial to watery, flavor-lite ease.

03-04-2014 21:49:56 | More by thecheapies
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

2.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

24 oz can poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a piss-yella color. The head doesn't last long - it's about a finger high, white in color, and very bubbly. At least it leaves some lacing behind!

S: Smells, in essence, like cheap white wine. The aroma could have been FAR worse - smelling like cheap white wine is a lot better than smelling of corn, cooked veggies, and failure.

T: Same with the taste - I don't love it by any means, but I can definitely drink this. There is a half-decent corn flavor here (like a good pre-pro pils), followed by bits of cream and cheap white wine. Honestly, the more I drink it, the more the generic sweetness becomes a bother instead of any shitty off-notes.

M: There's a slight prickle on the palate from the booze, which comes out the more That, and it's rather sweet finishing - too sweet, actually. In the realm of craft beer, the feel would fail utterly; but in the realm of malt likka, it reigns like a street king looking over his bitch-ass subjects.

O: I'd rather drink this over the typical BMC stalwarts (sans Miller High Life, maybe). It certainly isn't a good beer, BUUUT it's great for getting drunk on the cheap. I don't hate this one, that's for sure.

02-16-2014 22:14:51 | More by ThisWangsChung
Oomplumpf

3.96/5  rDev +66.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

If you wanna get drunk for cheap, this is the best beer you can buy. Pretty good taste and really kicks your ass. I get the 40 oz bottles and drink two and I'm feeling great. It's definitely a get drunk beer not one to really relax and enjoy or if you're thirsty.

02-14-2014 02:41:08 | More by Oomplumpf
artdmainman

3.88/5  rDev +63%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer does the job for the effects at the right price. Not really a bad taste at all compared to other beers I've had. I drink it all the time. Fills you up, that's for sure. And I would recommend that more bars, and restaurants serve steel reserve because it's hard to find them in these places.

02-06-2014 09:03:12 | More by artdmainman
ISmith87

Arizona

2.49/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - 2.25 - straw colored clear beer with zero head
S - 2.5 - smells like sweet white grape juice, rice, do i sense a hint of sake?
T - 2.5 - i expected worse, tastes fruity. Like white grapes juice. Slight beer and.boozy tastes.
M - 2.5 - thin, watery mouthfeel. Alc is actually well covered. No aftertaste, surprising.
O - 2.5 - with expectations so low i cant slam this one. The beer is good for what it is.

02-05-2014 04:01:59 | More by ISmith87
garymuchow

3.25/5  rDev +36.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into pilsner glass and looks the part of an Am. lager. Very clear and big full white head. Pale gold. Driipping lacing.
Soft malt and rather corn based. Some nose tickling with all the carbonation and hints of hop spice.
Malt, and the sweetness intermixes with the alcohol. Not as much corn flavor as I expected, but then it is very cold and I intend to keep it that way. Light drying the the malt laying on the tongue for quite awhile.
Appropriate body for style. Fully carbonated, but as it should be. Smooth like a lager.
Drinks too easily for size. I really don't hate this. One will be enough, but it is consistent with my fondness for bigger lagers
Thanks T. Part of 2013 Xmas exchange.

02-02-2014 18:41:06 | More by garymuchow
AlCaponeJunior

3.61/5  rDev +51.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Yellow to tan and well carbonated. Head didn't last long and there wasn't much lace, but it wasn't bad looking at all.

Aroma was lightly malty and sweet with corn, fairly noticeable alcohol.

Flavor was far sweeter and more heavy on the corn, but here the alcohol seemed to mostly disappear. For such high alcohol on such a light beer, it is concealed very well.

Body is light and sweet with a light warming. Surprisingly easy to drink.

It's not my favorite malt liquor but it's plenty good enough if this is your style.

01-13-2014 20:40:20 | More by AlCaponeJunior
JashThePleb

Best thing to ever grace my taste buds. First one and I was hooked. I twisted off the golden cap and was immediately bombarded with an aromatic burst of floral, citrusy, earthy hop-o-rama. This little golden honey delighted my teeth, tongue, gums, and gullet. It is also a wicked good aphrodisiac. My homebum partner was more than willing to relinquish his cardboard shelter for a single sip of this malty delicacy. Yes! This is truly the nectar of the gods!

12-16-2013 00:32:04 | More by JashThePleb
Gingercheapskate

2.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Not good, but not horrible. Still better than Keystone Light. Picked up a 6-pack for myself and two other guys for the last day of classes (big day at my college) and couldn't finish it. Somewhat sweet with a strong taste of corn. 8.1% ABV was what attracted me to it; I didn't particularly care about the taste when I took the price into account ($4.50 for 6-pack). However, it doesn't taste particularly good, but it is drinkable. Just swallow it quickly. Honestly, the best thing about it is that it's pretty high in alcohol and pretty cheap.

All in all, while it's not one of my favorites, I'll drink it again, simply because it's good when you're broke and want to drink with a couple of friends.

12-07-2013 21:04:52 | More by Gingercheapskate
MarkSmith86

Wisconsin

3.81/5  rDev +60.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Need i say anymore its a Miller brewing company malt liquor whoops high gravity... To me its a damn good cheap brew to buy and it will get you where you want to go! It has a good taste, not alot of alcohol punch, which equals you to getting it trouble. Plus it is a $1.50 a 24 ounce can. I cant bitch at this stuff they are producing, to me its better than hurricane hg at 8.10 percent

12-06-2013 05:25:41 | More by MarkSmith86
DilutedJack

4.78/5  rDev +100.8%

This is to offset all the beer snobs who get excited over a Jacksonville Pale Ale that's $15 for a six pack.

Get off your high horses.

This "malt liquor" is.... well, it goes down like a Miller Lite.

$3.75 for 4 16oz's 8.1ABV = Trick

under $4 and I'm going to bed early.

Seriously. I'm sick of the snobs hating on shit just because you can find it at a convenience store.

This stuff does the trick, for the price, the drinkability is not harsh at all - it goes down and gets you where you need to be.

Fast. Cheap. Taste Good.

The End.

Now go sample you're Johnson Farms Natural Spring Water Lite Lager with hints of Juniper and give it a 3/5 because it doesn't have a "strong mouth feel"

Puh-leeze.

Over and out,

Jack.

11-29-2013 22:23:57 | More by DilutedJack
jdog7135

Alabama

1.3/5  rDev -45.4%

Great site, been here a bunch but it took drinkin a Steel Reserve prompted me to sign up. This stuff is pure garbage!!! I am on my third one ever and only because my neighbor left one here and I'm out of Natty Light. He lost his liscense cause of DUI, go figure!, and has me give him a ride to the Quicky-Mart from time to time so he can get his "fix". As I said I normally drink the Natty due to price. In a perfect world I'd only drink quality brews like Dos Equis, Corona, Sweetwater 420, Abita or any other quality brew, but it's not a perfect world and I'm drinkin this crap. The only way I can even drink it is to place the rather attractive, stylish can in my right hand and hold my nose with my left thumb and forefinger. Then I pour it in the back of my throat and swallow as quickly as possible. Urgh! Thank god I only had one to drink is all I can say! Don't believe me? Try one. Sure it's strong and will get u drunk, but so is Sterno. Urgh! Yuck!

11-09-2013 06:51:16 | More by jdog7135
AmandaLeeGroveAusterman

Missouri

3.53/5  rDev +48.3%

Cheap beer for a good buzz... LOVE IT!!! Warning!!! Two of these and you are DOWN FOR THE COUNT...just saying... I LOVE BEER...what can I say...It gets expensive....Great alternative for getting a good beer buzz on. I DONT like hard liquor. Can be bought at any connivence store.

10-31-2013 03:18:54 | More by AmandaLeeGroveAusterman
Nagol

2.93/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not something I would want to drink regularly. However, it is decent and very cheap so it could be worse. It doesn't smell very good and the color is very yellow for a beer. Not overly carbonated. Taste was better than expected after previous experiences with "high gravity lagers."

10-30-2013 00:28:20 | More by Nagol
Jay1984

Oregon

2.5/5  rDev +5%

I drink 2 40's after work each day of Steel Reserve 211 because it's cheap and gets you buzzed or drunk depending on the consumption speed. It does leave me groggy every morning and upsets my stomach the next day for the first part of the day. In terms of 40's I choose it over all others due to better taste. Given the money I would suggest regular beers over Steel Reserve, but if you want cheap and decent then Steel Reserve is the way to go.

10-29-2013 15:47:29 | More by Jay1984
Ralphs66

1.64/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Spotted this 24oz monstrosity at the local Mobil Mart. Previously unfamiliar with this beer, and I kinda wish I still was. Not a good beer by any stretch. Very sweet and cough syrupy. High ABV is giving me a little buzz, but is it worth it? I have a bottle of Hop Stoopid in the fridge, but thought I'd try this bad boy first; saving the Lagunitas for the start of the Sox/ Cards third Series game. I'm debating a drain pour...

10-26-2013 22:30:24 | More by Ralphs66
tillmac62

South Carolina

3.05/5  rDev +28.2%

This is the 6% version and I use it to clean the palate between tastings. It's fairly bland with no overpowering flavors , but the slight maltiness is discernible coupled with a slight bitterness. At 50 cents a can it's a good quaffing beer - nothing really wrong with it, nor great either. Light / medium mouthfeel with a somewhat crisp finish that lacks hop flavor.

10-23-2013 19:31:26 | More by tillmac62
Tobeezues

Washington

1.68/5  rDev -29.4%

Gross. It has a good buzz no doubt. But we don't drink to get muffed up...right?... Well I wouldn't sit in a pub and sip on this beer on a cloudy day in Compton. But I would drink it on the stoop in Harlem.
Hope that sums up this retarded excuse for a beer. It might as well be fortified wine

10-23-2013 07:59:37 | More by Tobeezues
dbrauneis

2.96/5  rDev +24.4%

Note: This is the 6% ABV version

A: Pours a medium golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some faint orangish amber highlights. The beer has a two finger tall foamy white head that quickly reduce to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of grainy malts with sweet corn adjuncts. Slight hints of alcohol as the beer warms up.

T: Upfront the beer is moderately sweet with moderate flavors of grainy and corn adjunct malts and very minimal hints of grassy hops which imparts just a touch of bitterness in the finish which fades quickly. Slight metallic notes as well as some very light hints of alcohol in the finish.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Easy enough to drink and with a decent enough mouthfeel - the flavors are not bad and it is a decent representation of the style (which is not known for complex flavors or subtlety. If I was picking out malt liquors, I would definitely consider grabbing this one again.

10-17-2013 00:25:51 | More by dbrauneis
Deeez00

3.1/5  rDev +30.3%

Steel Reserve is only drank if you want an affordable buzz. The flavor is better than some other "High Gravity" beers. If you want a tasty beer then you are out of luck; however, if you want a quick buzz without drinking hard liquor then you have come to the right place. One large 24oz can of 8.1 will do the trick but if you're really looking to crash and burn then grab 3 of them and you will have the equivalent of a 6 pack that you will defiantly regret in the morning.

I gave an outstanding rating for the buzz it gives me, the can looks cool the smell isn't, the taste is tolerable, I don't really know what mouthfeel is but it doesn't make me gag so I gave it an "okay" rating.

10-10-2013 05:09:17 | More by Deeez00
SanWrencho

2.05/5  rDev -13.9%

Bad, insipid brew only made to deliver a 8.1 abv kick. Not that there's anything wrong with that but this stuff is marginally drinkable. Label claims that it has "twice the ingredients" of a regular beer... what, twice the high fructose corn syrup? Worst of all gave a wierd buzz, letting you suck it down without feeling it, then hitting you like a pack of mad Chinese hornets in mating season. Never again!

10-05-2013 18:35:59 | More by SanWrencho