Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,062 | Reviews: 525

what dreams are made of

It's great if you just want to get drunk cheaply, but this is the most disgusting tasting beer I've ever had in my life.

Buddy brought this to work. Lots of malt, aweful taste. This is the beer you need if you want to get hammered. This is beyond bad, but that buzz kicked in after the second sip. The paper cup I was drinking it with had more flavor. I feel like gargelling with turpintine to get the taste out of my mouth.

When I used to drink malt liquors I thought this was the worst of them all. Big malt, nasty, foul flavors on this beer. It was the lowest of the low and I would never touch it again as there are better malt liquor beers out there than this.

awful beer, cheap taste cheap price

Oh yeah.........this is unremarkable.

This is my benchmark for all ones.
I had four sips of this and thought I was going to puke.
Looks and smells as awful as it tastes. Tastes like metal, mold, grease, and gasoline. I am assuming I somehow had a contaminated can or batch or something, or maybe I just hate this beer way more than others do.

Not drinkable at all.

This beer's taste and smell is seared into my memory. The one positive experience I have from this is that I will forever know what all 1's is for my palate.

How did this beer get a 83?

12 ounce can from a liquor store on Colton Avenue in Redlands

Worst beer I have ever had to go along with the worst hangover the next day

Nasty taste and random things floating it, which is unnacceptable because it is not a microbrew

Could not pay me to drink this ever again

If you cannot afford to get anything else or this is the only thing available, this would be the only way I could recommed a beer like this

How the bros rated this at 83 I'll never know. This is shit beer that alcoholics drink when they are broke. This is by far worse than Milwaukee's Beast. Save your money

Trash. Gives me gas. Gets you smashed.

Overall poor flavor and body

1.03/5  rDev -56.4%

Why would anyone drink this? Indeed, why did I? Thanks to buddy Kevin, who decided we needed to inflict this monstrosity on ourselves in the interest of greater beer enlightenment. Color and aroma - bah, lets cut to the chase. The flavor was bad, so bad that you do the thing where you hold a mouthfull out of contact with your tongue as much as possible, and then choke it down quickly, with the "bad-beer-post-swallow-facial-contortion" following. This thing must be brewed with an all-corn mash. The finish is combination of raw alcohol and sickly sweet bitterness. There are some good cheap beers out there, but with this 99 cent 40 oz., you get what you pay for.

1.03/5  rDev -56.4%

A - Clear yellow with a massive frothy white head. Loads of carbonation. Slight lacing.

S - Odds grains, Skunk, Sweaty socks, farts

T - Sour malt, aluminum, sweat, pee

M - Heavy carbonation with a heavy body

O - This is the worst beer that I have ever had, Hands down. I would never drink this slop again. EVER.

1.05/5  rDev -55.5%

Opened the can and let it breath. Strangely familiar odor...oh yeah, memory of my time working Compton/Watts area comes to mind.
Poured it into a glass. Weak amber to urine yellow color with quickly disappearing head.
Taste...can't imagine it beng worse after passing through me! Aftertaste lingers like a bad dream, thick and syrupy.

My suggestion: if you want a cheap quick fog and terrible hangover with gutter breath, perhaps this is for you. If you care at all for your taste buds, skip it!!!!

1.08/5  rDev -54.2%

drank directly from a 40oz. the only way to drink an awful "beer" such as this one

appearance- foamy head that is only a result of the 40 being moved and held. very clear yellowish liquid.

smell- smells like a colt 45 with a shot of vodka in it

tastes- tastes like a colt 45 with a shot of vodka in it. the only good thing about this is that it gets you shattered for 2.00.

drinkability- it's hard not to choke on this awful concoction, let alone drink it casually.

overall, it's only something i drink when i have less than 10 bucks in my wallet and i need to get drunk quick. an essential college beer, but not something i enjoy drinking (i think of it as medicine. doesn't taste good, but you gotta drink it)

1.12/5  rDev -52.5%

There brewers are right, twice as many ingredents as other lagers as it says on the bottle " as other adjunt filled lagers that is" well you sure taste can taste them in there, has many undesirable flavors, too many too painful too discribe. head dispates too quick, one word avoid this brand at all costs, lifes too short.!!! michael jackson the beer hunter is turning his grave!!! in all fairness this beer is best severed in a paperbag at bus stop, served at very cold tempeture "32 degrees"is highly recomeded.don't forget your dark shades and ball cap to remain anonymous.

1.12/5  rDev -52.5%

Oh Steel, you were so cheap
Your 8.1 ABV I decided to reap
BeerAdvocate asked me about your mouthfeel
And honestly, you make my tastebuds peel

Lets be honest, I am poor
So I decided to buy one more
I poured you into my frosted mug
The next morning I felt beaten by a thug

Oh Steel, you taste like liquid metal
Oh Steel, I feel like I'm licking a kettle
Please, Steel, you don't look that bad
But, honestly, you smell like a sweaty dad.

CONTAINER VOLUME: 355ml
CONTAINER TYPE: can
FRESH: I guess so
PURCHASED @: Wally-World
COST: $5.87/12pk
HEAD: thin foamy; disapated to sheen (small bubbles in center; and large on outer rim of glass)
LACE: evenly soapy, actually laced heavely
COLOR:
REFLECTED- urine
TRANSMITTED- yellow with slight hint of orange
AROMA: malts (faint)
MOUTHFEEL: light soapy unharsh fizzy-ness
PALATE: soapy
TASTE: sweet malts give way to bitterness; corn syrup and gasoline. I forced myself to drink 4 cans; if you can do better, you’re a stronger man than I. This beer is an alcoholics wet dream and a beer (snob) connoisseurs hellish nightmare. This is why I need to invent the Beer-Condom (TM). Put it on and it’ll protect your tastebuds from drainpours...

COMMENTS: cheap buzz; have a couple of heavily salted peanuts after each long pull; careful though, if you don’t know your limits puking peanut chunks is not pretty. The EXTRA may not apply to the "Select Hops" and what is one’s definition of select hops anyway?
CONDITIONS:
MOWING/WORKING ON CAR- No
WITH FRIENDS- only if they’re winos
SIPPING- No
GET MY BUZZ ON- If I’m w/ my wino friends under the viaduct while living in a cardboard box...maybe...

1.13/5  rDev -52.1%

Pours a pale straw yellow with a small white head. Has LOTS of carbonation visible.

Smells strongly of fruit and alcohol. Mostly smells sort of like old berries or perhaps a very sweet wine.

The taste is very distinctive. I don't think this could ever be mistaken for any other malt liquor I've had. The first thing that hits is a strong sweet flavour of expired fruit. That is followed by a chemically alcohol and fusel alcohol flavour and the aftertaste is that of cheap bread. I wish the initial flavour was more akin to the aftertaste. This has a highly chemical taste. It just tastes unnatural, like it wasn't even brewed, but made by some freaky science designed to kill hobos. I'm a fan of the bite in this beer, but I'm too scared of it to buy it again. I feel like it might dissolve my body from the inside. We'll see.

1.15/5  rDev -51.3%

Horrible yellow appearance, little fizzy head, no lace, retention. Aroma was abhorrent, industrial grade cleaner smell.

Taste is like corn broth from a can, cooked. Pretty sweet. No hops, almost no malt bill. One of the grossest bitter aftertastes ever, full of fusel alcohol. Seems like a boilermaker was made with this and some vodka in a plastic bottle. Lots of carbonation, how did this not make a head? The carbonation keeps the shit taste from riding even longer in your mouth. Cheap price, not much else going on for this 'beer'. Ugh.

1.18/5  rDev -50%

I know that the alcohol per dollar ratio is great, but avoid this like the plague. Even among malt liquors, Steel Reserve is one of the worst beverages out there. It tastes like gasoline and will rip your stomach in two. Drink a Liquid Plumber and ammonia cocktail before you drink Steel Reserve. For the love of God stay the hell away!

1.2/5  rDev -49.2%

Smells like cheap apple cider made with hops.

People who drink this are easy to identify, because their breath emits an unpleasant high-octane aroma.

I'm curious what process is used to give this beer such a uniquely poor flavor and appearance. I've googled the company, but can't seem to find any information which pins down the difference.

1.2/5  rDev -49.2%

Lets start by saying that this is by far the best of the bunch but thats not saying much....tastes similar to OE but you can notice the alc volume a lot more. I guess it is good if you are down to your last pocket change and just want to get fu*ked up....you cant be the price (.99-1.50)

1.21/5  rDev -48.7%

Actually paid two bucks for this stuff!
For getting a big buzz on the cheap (if your stomach can stand it) get some Steel Reserve! To describe the taste as objectively as possible, I would say that it is reminiscent of castor oil and liniment. The texture of the beer in the mouth is as of used motor oil, greasy and clammy. Embalming fluid probably has less alcohol than this stuff! Not for the faint of heart, this stuff.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company