Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,062 | Reviews: 525
1.5/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Steel reserve 211 high gravity... Who hasn't had it...

3.34/5  rDev +41.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 24 oz. can to a nonic pint

A: Bubbly clear golden with a large white head that seems to stay.
S: Biscuity malt, a little dustiness, some metallic twang, and some alcohol.
T: Sweet, with a bready malt center, zero hop presence, and moderate alcohol. The alcohol is actually well-hidden, and it goes down smooth.
M: Light to medium. No significant aftertaste.
O: Surprisingly good. Not great by any means, but is good for what it is. It tastes like a budweiser with more flavor and body.

2.58/5  rDev +9.3%

After having one I decided to see what everyone thought. After seeing all the bad comments , I decided I better crack open another one to study it more carefully. An igot a new buzz, his name is percy he's a happy lil buzz. So, I got alot of head from the first one, as I poured this one from the wide mouth can into my glass, no head this time. I'm surprised that my yellow beer in my blue glass doesn't look green that defys science so its got that going for it. I don't smell much of anything to write about when I take a whiff. Goes down pretty smooth, with a tad bit of beer flavor. I really like the 8.10% effect, I wish they could all be 8% and up for so cheap. Oh whoops, I spoilled the best part its really cheap, $1.29 for 16oz. One will do it, two will make it hard to write a review with no spelling errors. So will I get it again? Oh yeah, sometimes its fun to ride a moped. We just don't want anyone to see us. This is what people who dont drink beer think all beer tastes like. It also reminds me why i like warstiener, bocks, and dopple bocks. I have to go scratch my belly and yell at my cat now. An I got this brand new buzz, his name is 4 and he don't ever do bout nothing at really ever at all my 𠙶 be sure blue steel 211zzzzzzzzzzz.

awful beer, cheap taste cheap price

2.54/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Grainy and metallic malt liquor.

2.86/5  rDev +21.2%

well it does no justice, but it will get you piss drunk... i can only drink one

3.6/5  rDev +52.5%

This is the best inexpensive beer on the market...with a kick to boot! BTW. This stuff is a lager. Can't find the words "Malt Liquor" on the can anywhere.

2.44/5  rDev +3.4%

There are two ways to review this.
I could review it as a beer, where I have expectations of taste, smell and texture, or I could review it for what it is, a one way ticket to getting plastered.

Something about the smell mixed with the taste is a little offensive to me. I've had Colt 45 a long time ago, and this is pretty comparable. It's earned it's place on 7-11 shelves next to the PBR and Rolling Rock (though I prefer those to this), but I probably won't get this again, unless I'm planning on getting properly drunk for cheap.

Actually, after a second sip from the can, with little smell, I find the taste a bit unpleasant. However, for it's kick of alcohol, it hides it reasonably well, though it's still noticeable. Probably haven't had a beer that tasted worse than this, but that's probably more due to my good judgement, which has been put to the test tonight.

look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Taking a dump. On my iPhone. Bacheloring it up.

Poured into pint glass for proper reviewing.

Appearance : straight out of the tall can it pours a frothy, full head about 3.5 fingers tall. The body is a pleasant golden glow. Mostly transparent.

Aroma : steel, corn, more corn, faint dirty hop leaf. Mostly stale corn in a grain bin though.

Taste : very smooth in its abundant nothingness. The 8.1% is definitely there but you barely taste it. It's more like you FEEL it. Towards the end it's got an earthy hop but its like, rotten or something. A whole lot of floaty alcohol flavors with a bit of that rotten garbage hop. Hey, it's better than i thought it would be.

Mouthfeel : very smooth, light bodied, slightly grainy in texture.

Overall : won't buy it again. But if you really want to say goodbye to sobriety for a night, this will do the trick without tasting like a dirty diaper.

Overall poor flavor and body

When I used to drink malt liquors I thought this was the worst of them all. Big malt, nasty, foul flavors on this beer. It was the lowest of the low and I would never touch it again as there are better malt liquor beers out there than this.

1.33/5  rDev -43.6%

Awful swill, tastes like dirty hair spray and old beer. Its pretty foamy so i guess that could be considered a plus.Provides a dirty almost sickly liquor like buzz.

1.75/5  rDev -25.8%

It's time to party like you're late to your parole hearing. If I'm ever in the mood to go all-out raging drunk, I'll pound two Steely's and then argue with my mother about who's going to do the laundry. There's a reason the gutters of Chicago have rich deposits of empty Steel Reserve cans--the Windy City knows how to party.

People review this like it is supposed to be some kind of craft brew. No it isn't. This company makes tons of money. If they wanted to spend that whipping up something that is crafty and used great ingredients they could do it... I promise you they could. But they are marketing this somewhere else. It is an inexpensive and relatively easy drinking and good tasting way to get a lot of alcohol in your system. That's it. Stop reviewing beers like this the way you guys do. That would be like me going into a mcdonalds and reviewing their big mac as if it was a dish served to me in a five star restaurant that I paid 50 dollars for. No. It's just maid to be cheap and taste pretty good.

3.5/5  rDev +48.3%

great for a quick buzz. don't drink too much or you will pay for it the next morning , for sure.

Serious beer for washing away serious problems. Put down enough of these, and you'll be hurting the next day. But in the meantime, what a ride.

3.28/5  rDev +39%

When it comes to malt liquor I grade on taste alone, because malt liquor is meant to be SLAMED. “Slow brewed for exceptional smooth flavor”. You can always tell how good a malt liquor is by the amount of lies on the can. All right here we go. What the hell man? I just opened the can and I didn’t get the snake hiss I’m so accustomed to. Damn I can smell the alcohol running from the can like the devil is chasing it. Ok, sucked down ¼ of the can and it taste like a green apple jolly rancher. I’ve literally had 100’s of 211’s and this is the first time it didn’t taste like malt liquor, sweet gasoline ,and heat. I must have a bad can. Which raises the question, do bad cans of 211 get better with age? Alright round 2, here we go…. Ughhhh never mind I take it all back. I just killed the can and it’s fighting me back causing ripples of chills throughout my body. This is the taste I’m accustoming to…. Alcohol and a funk that shifts its flavor so fast you don’t know what the hell you’re drinking. This is definitely an acquired taste. The reason why I like 211 is because it floods my mind with memories of Jr High. It’s like time traveling back to the time when all we could afford was 40oz’s and tall cans. Overall it taste awful. But the memories I’ve had with this shit keeps me coming back. I mean come-on this was my first taste of independence. 211 delivers a hard ass buzz for only 8.1% ABV

4.5/5  rDev +90.7%

Wow! I read what the Bro's rated and was surprised that so cheap a beer would be rated that high. Finally got the nerve to put out 3$ for a 4 pack in aluminum cans.. I was a little embarased feeling like a brown bagger homeless guy.... Poured it in a glass when I got home and everything looked perfect. Nice foam nice lacing..... Nice smell.. Taste?? OMG this is nice....smoothe with no hint of being out of a can!! I can't believe it! Only rated a 4.5 because this lager (not malt liquor) needs just a tad more hop to be as 5. Bye Bye yuengaling.... This is my new normal drinker!!! Might even consider living on the streets to enjoy ..... Nah...

It's great if you just want to get drunk cheaply, but this is the most disgusting tasting beer I've ever had in my life.

3.64/5  rDev +54.2%

Look. i spend enough $ on expensive, great beer. This is not a bad choice when I just want to spend a little on a good beer. And that's what this is, good. $1.35 for cold 16 oz can, can't beat that. Crisp and refreshing on the palate, smooth and satisfying aroma and taste. Lager like, hints of apple and pear. If I had to rank my malt liquors I'd go Olde English, this, Colt 45 High Gravity. There's not a damn thing wrong with any of the 3, the first 2 are more drinkable than the 45. Pour this in my 5.5 oz fancy snifter, almost looks like an expensive beer.

*Straight from the 40 oz bottle*

A- Dark urine color with large collar of foam.

S- sickly sweet. Malts and musty, pungent grains. Zero hops.

T- Buttery taste. Overly sweet malts and piss poor grains. Finish was gross. Like wet cardboard with sugar on top. Alcoholic taste and feel is present.

M- heavy mouth feel. Hard to drink. Oily and thick.

Gross. It gets you feeling alcohol's affects quickly.

Serious beer for serious bros. If you want to bro down and impress that babes that know how to party, drink the high gravity lager. 2 tall boys and you will be flying high. This isn't a craft. This isn't a trendy beer. This is a malt for college kids getting after it. And you rate how crazy you want your night to be, by the number of steels you put down. Every now and then I get a few to reminisce.

1.5/5  rDev -36.4%

Could possibly drink if there was nothing else.

2.1/5  rDev -11%

Poured from 24oz can into a pint glass. This is the 8.1% version. It's that time again ... time to review malt liquors!

Appearance: rich golden hue with no haze and a moderate effervescence. Head is a thin finger of fizzy white foam which dissipates quickly.

Smell: sweet, with a little hint of plastic. Not great.

Taste: quite sweet indeed, with an actual malt flavor tinged with some corn. Finish has a light bitterness but mostly just has that plastic taste. This isn't great, even quite cold.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a refreshing-enough fizziness.

Overall: I am not a fan of this. It is simply not that good.

2.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Steel Reserve 211 is one of the few mainstream malt liquors I have yet to review; in a 40oz bottle nonetheless. Let's set this one on fire.

Appearance - Clear, light amber with a pure-white head.

Smell - Smells of malt and strong, looming alcohol. Almost ominous, as if it's slowly approaching your body in the darkest of ways.

Taste - Tastes precisely like a malt liquor, with heavy malt character, cheap grain, and alcohol that packs an identifiable sting. This isn't as pungent as Camo Silver Ice but not as smooth and almost refreshing as Colt 45 or King Cobra. It's a middling offering, but it does its job, which means it gets substantial credit.

Mouthfeel - Crisp (!), clean, and leaves its alcohol all over your mouth to remind you what you just did.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company