Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
Reviews: 520 | Hads: 1,106
3.16/5  rDev +28.5%

Keep in mind that my rating of this beer is relative. Obviously Steel Reserve can't be compared to a top-of-the-line IPA. That being said, for malt liquor, Steel Reserve is one of my favorites. Granted I only drink it when the bank account has more dust in it than dollars, but I must admit that it does have qualities that I enjoy. For starters, it has a nice light amber color, and bubbles like a champagne. The taste is fairly clean and crisp for a malt, and the aftertaste is not bad at all. This one will give you a nasty hangover, though, if you drink too much of it. Enjoyed best while still ice cold.

Well, this is the beer to get if you like your malt liquor potent, and who wouldn't? It really is drinkable though, and doesn't get all flat and skunky faster than you can drink it like other malt liquors in 40 oz. form. I don't know. In a pinch, I would take this over some really crappy so-called craft beers, put it that way, but it's malt liquor and you know what the score is.

It's an Apples and Oranges test if you compare Steel Reserve to highly delicate crafted micro brews. In fact it's insulting to make the comparison in the first place. However having said that, and after taking another glorious gulp of my 24 oz Steel Reserve, it's a great beer if you just rate itself and forget all the other legends. For starters it's a acquired taste of strong and bold rich barely, sweet and bitter all at the same time. The After taste is also need of acquiring. Luckily I have acquired all of the above. Price point is unbeatable, for $1.50 not too shabby (You won't go bankrupt with this financial decision). The high alcohol content of 8.1% is mind blowing (You won't get that same effect with say coors light or bud). I've coined the nickname "A Quick Cheap Drunk" :p . Best way to drink this like almost all good beers, "ICE COLD." . "It's a Mans Beer," my girlfriend doesn't understand why I love it so much (even though she likes drinking some of the worst hard alcohol on the planet). BACK STORY It's the beer I have grown up with, when I was once a poor country boy. I continue to drink in delight :) (You heard me right), I steel love it after all the other hand crafted beers I have been opened up to throughout the years. It's beer and it get's me in gear so have no fear. I shout out, "I love steel reserve beer." with an all out cheer :D

Served from 22 oz can into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a 1+" white head. Color is yellow-golden with plenty of streaming carbonation.

Aroma: corn husks, with toasted barley and slight citrus in the background.

Mouthfeel: heavy with a mostly dry finish and warming alcohol in the throat.

Flavor: bold but nicely balanced between corn sweetness, rich barley, and enough hops to keep it from being cloying.

Overall: first time ever having a malt liquor, I was pleasantly surprised. Not something I would buy regularly, but nothing offensive either.

3.34/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 24 oz. can to a nonic pint

A: Bubbly clear golden with a large white head that seems to stay.
S: Biscuity malt, a little dustiness, some metallic twang, and some alcohol.
T: Sweet, with a bready malt center, zero hop presence, and moderate alcohol. The alcohol is actually well-hidden, and it goes down smooth.
M: Light to medium. No significant aftertaste.
O: Surprisingly good. Not great by any means, but is good for what it is. It tastes like a budweiser with more flavor and body.

2.58/5  rDev +4.9%

After having one I decided to see what everyone thought. After seeing all the bad comments , I decided I better crack open another one to study it more carefully. An igot a new buzz, his name is percy he's a happy lil buzz. So, I got alot of head from the first one, as I poured this one from the wide mouth can into my glass, no head this time. I'm surprised that my yellow beer in my blue glass doesn't look green that defys science so its got that going for it. I don't smell much of anything to write about when I take a whiff. Goes down pretty smooth, with a tad bit of beer flavor. I really like the 8.10% effect, I wish they could all be 8% and up for so cheap. Oh whoops, I spoilled the best part its really cheap, $1.29 for 16oz. One will do it, two will make it hard to write a review with no spelling errors. So will I get it again? Oh yeah, sometimes its fun to ride a moped. We just don't want anyone to see us. This is what people who dont drink beer think all beer tastes like. It also reminds me why i like warstiener, bocks, and dopple bocks. I have to go scratch my belly and yell at my cat now. An I got this brand new buzz, his name is 4 and he don't ever do bout nothing at really ever at all my 𠙶 be sure blue steel 211zzzzzzzzzzz.

3.6/5  rDev +46.3%

This is the best inexpensive beer on the market...with a kick to boot! BTW. This stuff is a lager. Can't find the words "Malt Liquor" on the can anywhere.

2.44/5  rDev -0.8%

There are two ways to review this.
I could review it as a beer, where I have expectations of taste, smell and texture, or I could review it for what it is, a one way ticket to getting plastered.

Something about the smell mixed with the taste is a little offensive to me. I've had Colt 45 a long time ago, and this is pretty comparable. It's earned it's place on 7-11 shelves next to the PBR and Rolling Rock (though I prefer those to this), but I probably won't get this again, unless I'm planning on getting properly drunk for cheap.

Actually, after a second sip from the can, with little smell, I find the taste a bit unpleasant. However, for it's kick of alcohol, it hides it reasonably well, though it's still noticeable. Probably haven't had a beer that tasted worse than this, but that's probably more due to my good judgement, which has been put to the test tonight.

look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Taking a dump. On my iPhone. Bacheloring it up.

Poured into pint glass for proper reviewing.

Appearance : straight out of the tall can it pours a frothy, full head about 3.5 fingers tall. The body is a pleasant golden glow. Mostly transparent.

Aroma : steel, corn, more corn, faint dirty hop leaf. Mostly stale corn in a grain bin though.

Taste : very smooth in its abundant nothingness. The 8.1% is definitely there but you barely taste it. It's more like you FEEL it. Towards the end it's got an earthy hop but its like, rotten or something. A whole lot of floaty alcohol flavors with a bit of that rotten garbage hop. Hey, it's better than i thought it would be.

Mouthfeel : very smooth, light bodied, slightly grainy in texture.

Overall : won't buy it again. But if you really want to say goodbye to sobriety for a night, this will do the trick without tasting like a dirty diaper.

When I used to drink malt liquors I thought this was the worst of them all. Big malt, nasty, foul flavors on this beer. It was the lowest of the low and I would never touch it again as there are better malt liquor beers out there than this.

1.33/5  rDev -45.9%

Awful swill, tastes like dirty hair spray and old beer. Its pretty foamy so i guess that could be considered a plus.Provides a dirty almost sickly liquor like buzz.

1.75/5  rDev -28.9%

It's time to party like you're late to your parole hearing. If I'm ever in the mood to go all-out raging drunk, I'll pound two Steely's and then argue with my mother about who's going to do the laundry. There's a reason the gutters of Chicago have rich deposits of empty Steel Reserve cans--the Windy City knows how to party.

People review this like it is supposed to be some kind of craft brew. No it isn't. This company makes tons of money. If they wanted to spend that whipping up something that is crafty and used great ingredients they could do it... I promise you they could. But they are marketing this somewhere else. It is an inexpensive and relatively easy drinking and good tasting way to get a lot of alcohol in your system. That's it. Stop reviewing beers like this the way you guys do. That would be like me going into a mcdonalds and reviewing their big mac as if it was a dish served to me in a five star restaurant that I paid 50 dollars for. No. It's just maid to be cheap and taste pretty good.

3.28/5  rDev +33.3%

When it comes to malt liquor I grade on taste alone, because malt liquor is meant to be SLAMED. “Slow brewed for exceptional smooth flavor”. You can always tell how good a malt liquor is by the amount of lies on the can. All right here we go. What the hell man? I just opened the can and I didn’t get the snake hiss I’m so accustomed to. Damn I can smell the alcohol running from the can like the devil is chasing it. Ok, sucked down ¼ of the can and it taste like a green apple jolly rancher. I’ve literally had 100’s of 211’s and this is the first time it didn’t taste like malt liquor, sweet gasoline ,and heat. I must have a bad can. Which raises the question, do bad cans of 211 get better with age? Alright round 2, here we go…. Ughhhh never mind I take it all back. I just killed the can and it’s fighting me back causing ripples of chills throughout my body. This is the taste I’m accustoming to…. Alcohol and a funk that shifts its flavor so fast you don’t know what the hell you’re drinking. This is definitely an acquired taste. The reason why I like 211 is because it floods my mind with memories of Jr High. It’s like time traveling back to the time when all we could afford was 40oz’s and tall cans. Overall it taste awful. But the memories I’ve had with this shit keeps me coming back. I mean come-on this was my first taste of independence. 211 delivers a hard ass buzz for only 8.1% ABV

4.5/5  rDev +82.9%

Wow! I read what the Bro's rated and was surprised that so cheap a beer would be rated that high. Finally got the nerve to put out 3$ for a 4 pack in aluminum cans.. I was a little embarased feeling like a brown bagger homeless guy.... Poured it in a glass when I got home and everything looked perfect. Nice foam nice lacing..... Nice smell.. Taste?? OMG this is nice....smoothe with no hint of being out of a can!! I can't believe it! Only rated a 4.5 because this lager (not malt liquor) needs just a tad more hop to be as 5. Bye Bye yuengaling.... This is my new normal drinker!!! Might even consider living on the streets to enjoy ..... Nah...

3.64/5  rDev +48%

Look. i spend enough $ on expensive, great beer. This is not a bad choice when I just want to spend a little on a good beer. And that's what this is, good. $1.35 for cold 16 oz can, can't beat that. Crisp and refreshing on the palate, smooth and satisfying aroma and taste. Lager like, hints of apple and pear. If I had to rank my malt liquors I'd go Olde English, this, Colt 45 High Gravity. There's not a damn thing wrong with any of the 3, the first 2 are more drinkable than the 45. Pour this in my 5.5 oz fancy snifter, almost looks like an expensive beer.

*Straight from the 40 oz bottle*

A- Dark urine color with large collar of foam.

S- sickly sweet. Malts and musty, pungent grains. Zero hops.

T- Buttery taste. Overly sweet malts and piss poor grains. Finish was gross. Like wet cardboard with sugar on top. Alcoholic taste and feel is present.

M- heavy mouth feel. Hard to drink. Oily and thick.

Gross. It gets you feeling alcohol's affects quickly.

Serious beer for serious bros. If you want to bro down and impress that babes that know how to party, drink the high gravity lager. 2 tall boys and you will be flying high. This isn't a craft. This isn't a trendy beer. This is a malt for college kids getting after it. And you rate how crazy you want your night to be, by the number of steels you put down. Every now and then I get a few to reminisce.

2.1/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from 24oz can into a pint glass. This is the 8.1% version. It's that time again ... time to review malt liquors!

Appearance: rich golden hue with no haze and a moderate effervescence. Head is a thin finger of fizzy white foam which dissipates quickly.

Smell: sweet, with a little hint of plastic. Not great.

Taste: quite sweet indeed, with an actual malt flavor tinged with some corn. Finish has a light bitterness but mostly just has that plastic taste. This isn't great, even quite cold.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a refreshing-enough fizziness.

Overall: I am not a fan of this. It is simply not that good.

2.55/5  rDev +3.7%

Steel Reserve 211 is one of the few mainstream malt liquors I have yet to review; in a 40oz bottle nonetheless. Let's set this one on fire.

Appearance - Clear, light amber with a pure-white head.

Smell - Smells of malt and strong, looming alcohol. Almost ominous, as if it's slowly approaching your body in the darkest of ways.

Taste - Tastes precisely like a malt liquor, with heavy malt character, cheap grain, and alcohol that packs an identifiable sting. This isn't as pungent as Camo Silver Ice but not as smooth and almost refreshing as Colt 45 or King Cobra. It's a middling offering, but it does its job, which means it gets substantial credit.

Mouthfeel - Crisp (!), clean, and leaves its alcohol all over your mouth to remind you what you just did.

1.28/5  rDev -48%

I can not even review this nasty beer..it was great in high school seeing as it was only $1.10... I can't even stand the smell of this anymore..used to drink it like water..it tastes like metal to me, funny because its "steel reserve". My opinions to you are, if your really low on money "and I meen LOW" go ahead.. DO NOT DRINK THIS OR YOUR GUNNA PROLLY END UP OVER THE TOILILET OR IN FIGHT WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND.

2.48/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This pours with a light straw yellow, pale and watery. The head was a mass of quickly bursting bubbles that fluttered away in seconds.

Sour maltiness with a tinge of sweet corn, the nose is a bit boozy.

The flavor is very sweet, brash, sour and offensive if left in the can. For the sake of this review I poured it in a glass and allowed it to air out. The flavor became more bearable with obvious sweet and sour barley, corn and maybe some alcohol.

The feel is light but haunted by that "malt liquor" feel.

I bought this on a whim and was suckered by $3.50 a four pack of pints. The terms High Gravity and slow brewed were also a determinant in this purchase but it won't happen again.

3.11/5  rDev +26.4%

Let's face it, 211 is malt liquor at its finest.

It is strong, it is sweet and "alcoholy", and it gets the job done.

It's meant for the back-alleys, the pre-drinking in the back of your friend's car, and that one time your ex-girlfriend's twin sister drank a 40 of it and couldn't handle it (resulting in a great story and memory).

This is the stuff of legends.

4.1/5  rDev +66.7%

For the price, it's very nice.
I'm not a beer snob, but for the price this beer packs a punch. It tastes good/great, and it goes down really smooth and hits hard in terms of giving you a buzz...

Best served ice cold. This is one of those beers that tastes like pee if it's warm, but actually tastes great when it's cold.

My overall rating factors in price.

2.78/5  rDev +13%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

probably drank this beer more than anything in high school crack that bottle and all u smell is that notorious swell malt corny odor bubbles up like a bitch when you swig it you do get past the taste, though after drinking it for a while this is the cheapest beer per alc content besides fourloko and those are garbage so if your low on cash and that cheap hooker needs a buzz theres always a cold one with your name on it at the corner store :)

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company