Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev +6.4%

1.85/5  rDev -21.3%

If you are the type of person that wants a quick buzz at a low price, this is your beer. I bought both , the bottled and canned versions. It really didn't make any difference. It has a very skunky smell to it, and the taste is simply bad. I must say however, that the 8.1% abv masks the taste pretty well. Sometimes the only thing you can taste is the ethanol in it. The can version of 24 oz was $1.99 and the 40oz bottle $2.99, it's a very inexpensive beer. Though the old saying "you get what you paid for" certainly applies here. All in all, is a bad tasting, bad smelling beer with a very high alcohol content. score:2

2.5/5  rDev +6.4%

2.91/5  rDev +23.8%

I picked this up from the Class Six on post today. If I had known it was a millercoors product, I doubt I would have even tried it.

It's a high gravity, low hop american style lager with moderately high carbonation and fairly low head retention.

On cracking the can, I was greeted with a pretty bad aroma instantly making me second guess my purchase. It poured well forming about 1 inch of head which lingered maybe a minute or so before dying down. At 24 oz, the can was just beyond what my imperial pint glass could take.

Starts clean, slightly sweet, with a touch of almond. aftertaste quickly turns sweeter, almost, but not quite, too sweet. and fades into a pleasant alcohol warmth.

Feels heavy, almost syrupy. This is helped somewhat by the high carbonation.

All in all, not a bad brew. Not outstanding, but probably the best high adjunct american lager I've had.

1.25/5  rDev -46.8%

June 29, 2012 -- My life would never be the same again. It started off with me and my mate going to the local package store to purchase our pregaming material; the Friday ritual, if you will. While in there we came across what assumed to be a homeless man which struck a light for me; "let's go CVS and each get a 4-pack of 211 for the low price of $1.99." I say this as a joke, but my mate gleefully agrees. So we oblige. I am stuck. SHIT. I feel like a fucking bum loser piece of shit at the register buying this struggle beer. So we get to the drinking spot and lord behold, reach the moment of truth. I crack open a can (the appearance wasn't bad, hence the average rating), but a foul breeze ran though my nostrils. Scust. I was already very skeptic before taking the first pull but alas, I do it. What I tasted next is something that will forever be ingrained in the back of my memory. It tasted like suds at the bottom of a Bud Light (which I see is frowned upon here). It tastes drinking that water in a toilet bowl after someone flushes diarrhea. Scust. Mouthfeel: It burnt going down, this isn't tequila, this is 211! What a horrible set of events. June 29, 2012: never forget.

Overall: 1.25

1.5/5  rDev -36.2%

1.75/5  rDev -25.5%

1.25/5  rDev -46.8%

4.31/5  rDev +83.4%

A malt beer. poured from a can, ice cold, beautiful light orange color with lacing down the glass as it is consumed.

smell is of roasted corn, hardly any sulphur as I'd expect.

Taste is a clean malt no hop bitterness and carbonation is as expected with a malt liquor.

mouthfeel. very thin, easy to drink and the alcohol is hidden very well and you could possibly drink this pretty quickly ice cold.

Overall a good go to beer for me for those cheap times. I really like malt liquor beers so I'm kinda biased. That said, I do this for all beers I review. I respect all the styles. This one is a wonderful malt liquor with wonderful clarity and lots of maltiness

3.9/5  rDev +66%

This is surprisingly good. A very full bodied, slightly starchy taste, but never overly sweet. Very little aftertaste, even when warm. I see no resemblance whatsoever to malt liquor. Really the only downside is the 8% ABV. I only wish they made a version with a little less alcohol and a lot more malt, I'd drink this stuff all the time.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company