Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,036 | Reviews: 508
2.75/5  rDev +16.5%

3.25/5  rDev +37.7%

3.5/5  rDev +48.3%

1.46/5  rDev -38.1%

24 fl oz. can, acquired last night after midnight at the local 7-11 for $1.79. Bottom of the can says best by August 12, 2013. My can also confirms it holds an 8.10% abv rather than some lower alcohol versions received by some other states. I would have preferred to have tried this from the bottle, but whatever. I was drunk when I bought it and needed a palate cleanser, but I held off on this one for today. Pretty low expectations, but I'm going in as unbiased as possible.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a dark gold colored body with plenty of bubbles sticking to the sides of the glass and floating up to the top to meet a two finger slightly creamy, audibly sizzling, off-white head. Head fades away into virtually nothing within a minute.

S - Corn adjuncts / corn husk. Stale dusty malt. Doesn't smell like much at all, really.

T - Adjunctive corn, again. Disturbingly aggressive artificial sweetness. Cherry corn syrup medicine like taste. More corn. Carbonation isn't ridiculously excessive, but it is definitely noticeable. No malted barley or select hops, as the can claims, that I am able to detect.

M - Mouthfeel thankfully isn't as sickeningly sweet as it tasted on the way down. Grainy corn kernel taste, with some leftover carbonation lingering on the tongue.

Overall, it is lightly bodied and masks it's high 8.10% abv very well, as I couldn't really detect much alcohol. However, there are better American malt liquors out there if that's really your style, they just might not be as high in abv as the Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity. You basically know what you're getting yourself into with this one if you so choose to walk that trodden path. A classic example of the standard alcohol delivery vehicle.

Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity ---1.5/5

2.54/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

8.10% according to my can. I got interested in reviewing this after having Full Sail's malt liquor last night. 24 fl oz aluminum can served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average relative to the style. Best before July 29th, 2013 according to the bottom of the can.

Served very cold and allowed to warm slightly over the course of consumption. Side-poured with lessened vigor as overcarbonation is anticipated. Cost was $1.79 at the grocery store.

A: Pours a four finger beige colour head of slight cream, decent froth, nice thickness, and good retention for the high ABV (~4 minutes). Body colour is a pale yellow-copper. Clear and translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Somewhat dull in terms of vibrance. Typical of the style.

Sm: Corn adjunct, clean barley, light floral hops, and stale malts. Clean and crisp, if off putting. A mild strength aroma.

T: Heavy corn adjunct with some off-putting artificial sugary sweetness. Bland pale malts. Clean barley. Light bland floral hops - strictly a preservative here. Emphasis is on ersatz corn and the malty build. Fairly balanced for what it is. I don't think it's as boozy as many others have noted. Caramel malt - a highlight here.

Mf: Crisp and clean. Light, smooth, and wet. Artificially smooth, with a bit of unwelcome syrupy character. Overcarbonated and biting. A bit buttery.

Dr: A great choice for getting sloshed, but an unappealing beer all around. Still, it may be one of the best choices at its price point if you're looking to get knackered. And it tastes better than most adjunct lagers. At least, it tasted different in a blind taste test I did with friends. I'll be pairing what's left of this with some pizza shortly and I think that's one of its best uses. Hides its ABV decently.

Low C-

3.5/5  rDev +48.3%

2.72/5  rDev +15.3%

If you like to drink than 211 is right up your alley.

If you don't drink very much then the taste might not be so good.

IF you like to drink every day then you will enjoy 211 no doubt.

I like the taste more than the alternative which would be the Hurricane and 211 for some reason makes you feel better even though they have the same alcohol content.

Wish I had one right now because i would go and drink it somewhere.

2.5/5  rDev +5.9%

1.84/5  rDev -22%

If you are the type of person that wants a quick buzz at a low price, this is your beer. I bought both , the bottled and canned versions. It really didn't make any difference. It has a very skunky smell to it, and the taste is simply bad. I must say however, that the 8.1% abv masks the taste pretty well. Sometimes the only thing you can taste is the ethanol in it. The can version of 24 oz was $1.99 and the 40oz bottle $2.99, it's a very inexpensive beer. Though the old saying "you get what you paid for" certainly applies here. All in all, is a bad tasting, bad smelling beer with a very high alcohol content. score:2

2.5/5  rDev +5.9%

2.86/5  rDev +21.2%

I picked this up from the Class Six on post today. If I had known it was a millercoors product, I doubt I would have even tried it.

It's a high gravity, low hop american style lager with moderately high carbonation and fairly low head retention.

On cracking the can, I was greeted with a pretty bad aroma instantly making me second guess my purchase. It poured well forming about 1 inch of head which lingered maybe a minute or so before dying down. At 24 oz, the can was just beyond what my imperial pint glass could take.

Starts clean, slightly sweet, with a touch of almond. aftertaste quickly turns sweeter, almost, but not quite, too sweet. and fades into a pleasant alcohol warmth.

Feels heavy, almost syrupy. This is helped somewhat by the high carbonation.

All in all, not a bad brew. Not outstanding, but probably the best high adjunct american lager I've had.

1.29/5  rDev -45.3%

June 29, 2012 -- My life would never be the same again. It started off with me and my mate going to the local package store to purchase our pregaming material; the Friday ritual, if you will. While in there we came across what assumed to be a homeless man which struck a light for me; "let's go CVS and each get a 4-pack of 211 for the low price of $1.99." I say this as a joke, but my mate gleefully agrees. So we oblige. I am stuck. SHIT. I feel like a fucking bum loser piece of shit at the register buying this struggle beer. So we get to the drinking spot and lord behold, reach the moment of truth. I crack open a can (the appearance wasn't bad, hence the average rating), but a foul breeze ran though my nostrils. Scust. I was already very skeptic before taking the first pull but alas, I do it. What I tasted next is something that will forever be ingrained in the back of my memory. It tasted like suds at the bottom of a Bud Light (which I see is frowned upon here). It tastes drinking that water in a toilet bowl after someone flushes diarrhea. Scust. Mouthfeel: It burnt going down, this isn't tequila, this is 211! What a horrible set of events. June 29, 2012: never forget.

Overall: 1.25

2.25/5  rDev -4.7%

1.5/5  rDev -36.4%

1.75/5  rDev -25.8%

1.25/5  rDev -47%

2.25/5  rDev -4.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company