Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

poor

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
Reviews: 508 | Hads: 1,071

Best thing to ever grace my taste buds. First one and I was hooked. I twisted off the golden cap and was immediately bombarded with an aromatic burst of floral, citrusy, earthy hop-o-rama. This little golden honey delighted my teeth, tongue, gums, and gullet. It is also a wicked good aphrodisiac. My homebum partner was more than willing to relinquish his cardboard shelter for a single sip of this malty delicacy. Yes! This is truly the nectar of the gods! (458 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +0.8%

Not good, but not horrible. Still better than Keystone Light. Picked up a 6-pack for myself and two other guys for the last day of classes (big day at my college) and couldn't finish it. Somewhat sweet with a strong taste of corn. 8.1% ABV was what attracted me to it; I didn't particularly care about the taste when I took the price into account ($4.50 for 6-pack). However, it doesn't taste particularly good, but it is drinkable. Just swallow it quickly. Honestly, the best thing about it is that it's pretty high in alcohol and pretty cheap.

All in all, while it's not one of my favorites, I'll drink it again, simply because it's good when you're broke and want to drink with a couple of friends. (703 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +48.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Need i say anymore its a Miller brewing company malt liquor whoops high gravity... To me its a damn good cheap brew to buy and it will get you where you want to go! It has a good taste, not alot of alcohol punch, which equals you to getting it trouble. Plus it is a $1.50 a 24 ounce can. I cant bitch at this stuff they are producing, to me its better than hurricane hg at 8.10 percent (385 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +86%

This is to offset all the beer snobs who get excited over a Jacksonville Pale Ale that's $15 for a six pack.

Get off your high horses.

This "malt liquor" is.... well, it goes down like a Miller Lite.

$3.75 for 4 16oz's 8.1ABV = Trick

under $4 and I'm going to bed early.

Seriously. I'm sick of the snobs hating on shit just because you can find it at a convenience store.

This stuff does the trick, for the price, the drinkability is not harsh at all - it goes down and gets you where you need to be.

Fast. Cheap. Taste Good.

The End.

Now go sample you're Johnson Farms Natural Spring Water Lite Lager with hints of Juniper and give it a 3/5 because it doesn't have a "strong mouth feel"

Puh-leeze.

Over and out,

Jack. (732 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -47.3%

Great site, been here a bunch but it took drinkin a Steel Reserve prompted me to sign up. This stuff is pure garbage!!! I am on my third one ever and only because my neighbor left one here and I'm out of Natty Light. He lost his liscense cause of DUI, go figure!, and has me give him a ride to the Quicky-Mart from time to time so he can get his "fix". As I said I normally drink the Natty due to price. In a perfect world I'd only drink quality brews like Dos Equis, Corona, Sweetwater 420, Abita or any other quality brew, but it's not a perfect world and I'm drinkin this crap. The only way I can even drink it is to place the rather attractive, stylish can in my right hand and hold my nose with my left thumb and forefinger. Then I pour it in the back of my throat and swallow as quickly as possible. Urgh! Thank god I only had one to drink is all I can say! Don't believe me? Try one. Sure it's strong and will get u drunk, but so is Sterno. Urgh! Yuck! (959 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +35.7%

Cheap beer for a good buzz... LOVE IT!!! Warning!!! Two of these and you are DOWN FOR THE COUNT...just saying... I LOVE BEER...what can I say...It gets expensive....Great alternative for getting a good beer buzz on. I DONT like hard liquor. Can be bought at any connivence store. (279 characters)

2.89/5  rDev +12%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not something I would want to drink regularly. However, it is decent and very cheap so it could be worse. It doesn't smell very good and the color is very yellow for a beer. Not overly carbonated. Taste was better than expected after previous experiences with "high gravity lagers." (282 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -5.8%

I drink 2 40's after work each day of Steel Reserve 211 because it's cheap and gets you buzzed or drunk depending on the consumption speed. It does leave me groggy every morning and upsets my stomach the next day for the first part of the day. In terms of 40's I choose it over all others due to better taste. Given the money I would suggest regular beers over Steel Reserve, but if you want cheap and decent then Steel Reserve is the way to go. (445 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -36%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Spotted this 24oz monstrosity at the local Mobil Mart. Previously unfamiliar with this beer, and I kinda wish I still was. Not a good beer by any stretch. Very sweet and cough syrupy. High ABV is giving me a little buzz, but is it worth it? I have a bottle of Hop Stoopid in the fridge, but thought I'd try this bad boy first; saving the Lagunitas for the start of the Sox/ Cards third Series game. I'm debating a drain pour... (427 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +18.2%

This is the 6% version and I use it to clean the palate between tastings. It's fairly bland with no overpowering flavors , but the slight maltiness is discernible coupled with a slight bitterness. At 50 cents a can it's a good quaffing beer - nothing really wrong with it, nor great either. Light / medium mouthfeel with a somewhat crisp finish that lacks hop flavor. (367 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -31.8%

Gross. It has a good buzz no doubt. But we don't drink to get muffed up...right?... Well I wouldn't sit in a pub and sip on this beer on a cloudy day in Compton. But I would drink it on the stoop in Harlem.
Hope that sums up this retarded excuse for a beer. It might as well be fortified wine (292 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +14.7%

Note: This is the 6% ABV version

A: Pours a medium golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some faint orangish amber highlights. The beer has a two finger tall foamy white head that quickly reduce to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of grainy malts with sweet corn adjuncts. Slight hints of alcohol as the beer warms up.

T: Upfront the beer is moderately sweet with moderate flavors of grainy and corn adjunct malts and very minimal hints of grassy hops which imparts just a touch of bitterness in the finish which fades quickly. Slight metallic notes as well as some very light hints of alcohol in the finish.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Easy enough to drink and with a decent enough mouthfeel - the flavors are not bad and it is a decent representation of the style (which is not known for complex flavors or subtlety. If I was picking out malt liquors, I would definitely consider grabbing this one again. (1,204 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +19.4%

Steel Reserve is only drank if you want an affordable buzz. The flavor is better than some other "High Gravity" beers. If you want a tasty beer then you are out of luck; however, if you want a quick buzz without drinking hard liquor then you have come to the right place. One large 24oz can of 8.1 will do the trick but if you're really looking to crash and burn then grab 3 of them and you will have the equivalent of a 6 pack that you will defiantly regret in the morning.

I gave an outstanding rating for the buzz it gives me, the can looks cool the smell isn't, the taste is tolerable, I don't really know what mouthfeel is but it doesn't make me gag so I gave it an "okay" rating. (687 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -20.2%

Bad, insipid brew only made to deliver a 8.1 abv kick. Not that there's anything wrong with that but this stuff is marginally drinkable. Label claims that it has "twice the ingredients" of a regular beer... what, twice the high fructose corn syrup? Worst of all gave a wierd buzz, letting you suck it down without feeling it, then hitting you like a pack of mad Chinese hornets in mating season. Never again! (408 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +50.4%

Pretentious beer snobs need to get off the high horse and smell
the malt liquor. It's pointless to berate this beer. It's not winning
any awards by far. Everybody knows what that little 8.1% ABV
is for. It's to get tanked on the cheap. I bought two 40oz bottles for
a little over five dollars. I put them in the freezer for a bit and drank
Them ice cold. The taste is malty and corn, like it should be. The
Carbonation doesn't kill it either, it's pretty balanced. I think one should
appreciate all beers and not just craft beers and imports. I will say this when
it comes to the 211 "the colder the better (609 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -48.4%

Well.If you are Looking to get Shit Faced and get that way Cheap,then "Steel Reserve 211" can foot the Bill 4sure,and is pretty much just what this crap is made for..it has to be,Because I can not Imagine anyone drinking this swill for the Taste and flavor,which IMHO is Horrid & Disgusting,It Taste like a very cheap beer that has been sitting out for a few days in a toxic waste dump,and has gone flat,absorbed some various toxic chemicals,then was mixed along with some sugar in a rusty Bucket..yes,it is that bad boys and girls..Bleckkkk! (542 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: Light yellow...very light for a malt liquor.

Smell: Sour corn and a hint of steel. Faint at first, but it picks up as it warms.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is not awful at first. Similar to smell with sour corn and some metallic minerals. Then it starts to warm a bit and flatten out and boy is it sour. Almost tastes burnt. Mouthfeel is extremely confusing. Starts out ok then becomes thin before making a bit of a bubbly comeback that then turns sticky and finally gassy.

Overall: Not pleasant. (506 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

This beer isnt too terrible considering how it's made. It's pretty dark for a "party" beer. There is a very light yet slightly skunky smell to it. It doesn't go down very smoothly but it is not a terrible beer. Against it's competition it soars above the rest lol (263 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

appearance - yellow/golden nice color, poured a thick head which faded quickly to a small head, and it does leave lacing on the glass.

smell - malt and kindof sharp

taste - a gross sweetness, and alcohol taste, on top of a beer taste. I feel like the disgusting sweetness overpowers the flavor.

mouthfeel - thick. kindof syrup-like, with a good amount of carbonation.

overall - I give it a 3 because the whole point of this stuff is to get drunk cheap, and if thats ur goal then its ok for that. its a high 8.1%abv and i have seen homeless people drinking this. its not meant to taste great haha. (603 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +26%

Pours really pale yellow with about one finger of white head that quickly fades to a very thin ring. A couple of whisps of lacing.
Smell- none detectable, maybe a hint of corny malt.
Taste is not as sweet as the last Malt Liquor I tried. Maybe more astringent though. Some malt shows in this one not sure about any hops.
Mouthfeel is alright. A bit too carbonated though. Finish is medium dry.
Overall pretty good for what it is. Alcohol is fairly well hidden which is good or bad depending on who is drinking this stuff. (521 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Bottle purchased at the Main Street Mobil station in Geneseo, NY. One of those nights.

This beer is a golden yellow color, actually a little prettier than most malt liquors.

Smells a bit fruity and grainy, with some light skunk.

The taste is similar. Steel Reserve has always had this interesting vanilla flavor in it that I could never understand where it could have come from. Sweet, corny and fizzy otherwise, this doesn't good, but certainly doesn't taste horrible.

Medium bodied, well carbonated, creamy-ish mouthfeel.

Probably the best malt liquor I've had, doesn't really say much, though. (601 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

These things are awesome honestly you can get really drunk of these in a 4 pack, honestly the average drinker would want to sit there ass down after 2 of them honestly. For only 2.59 a 4 pack at 8.1% alcohol by volume that's a fantastic deal. true there not the best tasting beer in the world. However, if it's taste your concern about getcha some lime salts for your beer and that'll help you out. Still if you are like me and wanna get get drunk with as little money as possible, and don't mind having a little bad taste m your mouth....this is the way to go. (561 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I sampled a 24 ounce can since that was all that was available. I noticed the website lists different ABV, however the one I sampled had 6% ABV. The product had a Sept 2013 date stamp so I am assuming that was the sell by date. The taste was neither good or bad. It was OK. I would drink it again but with many better products out there I would not go out of my way. It is an OK beer at an OK price. Try it for yourself but do not expect a full flavored rich beer. I wonder if the other ABV's have a different taste. Should Imcome across it I will review this further. (568 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -23.3%

this is on the edge of not being drinkable. a friend brought this over a few months ago and joked, what do you get the guy who has tried everything? well, he brought a steel reserve, and its been taking up space on the bottom shelf of the fridge ever since. last night it came out. piss yellow in color, with soda carbonation not amounting to much head at all. it smells like the can, but also that extract based density of rot gut that is sure to come. the flavor agrees, but for just a second on the front end its palatable, light, and refreshing, almost like a natural light or some other low budget beer that's just ahead of the pack. its short lived though, as the alcohol comes out, the weight sets in, and the can starts to warm up. after a few swigs, its downright repulsive, turning the stomach and taunting a hangover already. there is little or no room for this in the beer world, and thank goodness its not taking up room in my fridge any longer. yuck. (964 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +25.2%

My absolute favorite train ride 40. Does its job at 1/4 the price of the macro brew crap out there. Definately adjunct heavy, can easily taste the corn. Sweeter than most, but this is smooth for a cheap malt liquor and has a nice flavor and does not get overty nasty as it warms. Give it a try. (294 characters)

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company