Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
Reviews: 513 | Hads: 1,088
3.93/5  rDev +59.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

If you wanna get drunk for cheap, this is the best beer you can buy. Pretty good taste and really kicks your ass. I get the 40 oz bottles and drink two and I'm feeling great. It's definitely a get drunk beer not one to really relax and enjoy or if you're thirsty.

3.87/5  rDev +56.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer does the job for the effects at the right price. Not really a bad taste at all compared to other beers I've had. I drink it all the time. Fills you up, that's for sure. And I would recommend that more bars, and restaurants serve steel reserve because it's hard to find them in these places.

2.49/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - 2.25 - straw colored clear beer with zero head
S - 2.5 - smells like sweet white grape juice, rice, do i sense a hint of sake?
T - 2.5 - i expected worse, tastes fruity. Like white grapes juice. Slight beer and.boozy tastes.
M - 2.5 - thin, watery mouthfeel. Alc is actually well covered. No aftertaste, surprising.
O - 2.5 - with expectations so low i cant slam this one. The beer is good for what it is.

3.25/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into pilsner glass and looks the part of an Am. lager. Very clear and big full white head. Pale gold. Driipping lacing.
Soft malt and rather corn based. Some nose tickling with all the carbonation and hints of hop spice.
Malt, and the sweetness intermixes with the alcohol. Not as much corn flavor as I expected, but then it is very cold and I intend to keep it that way. Light drying the the malt laying on the tongue for quite awhile.
Appropriate body for style. Fully carbonated, but as it should be. Smooth like a lager.
Drinks too easily for size. I really don't hate this. One will be enough, but it is consistent with my fondness for bigger lagers
Thanks T. Part of 2013 Xmas exchange.

3.6/5  rDev +45.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Yellow to tan and well carbonated. Head didn't last long and there wasn't much lace, but it wasn't bad looking at all.

Aroma was lightly malty and sweet with corn, fairly noticeable alcohol.

Flavor was far sweeter and more heavy on the corn, but here the alcohol seemed to mostly disappear. For such high alcohol on such a light beer, it is concealed very well.

Body is light and sweet with a light warming. Surprisingly easy to drink.

It's not my favorite malt liquor but it's plenty good enough if this is your style.

Best thing to ever grace my taste buds. First one and I was hooked. I twisted off the golden cap and was immediately bombarded with an aromatic burst of floral, citrusy, earthy hop-o-rama. This little golden honey delighted my teeth, tongue, gums, and gullet. It is also a wicked good aphrodisiac. My homebum partner was more than willing to relinquish his cardboard shelter for a single sip of this malty delicacy. Yes! This is truly the nectar of the gods!

2.6/5  rDev +5.3%

Not good, but not horrible. Still better than Keystone Light. Picked up a 6-pack for myself and two other guys for the last day of classes (big day at my college) and couldn't finish it. Somewhat sweet with a strong taste of corn. 8.1% ABV was what attracted me to it; I didn't particularly care about the taste when I took the price into account ($4.50 for 6-pack). However, it doesn't taste particularly good, but it is drinkable. Just swallow it quickly. Honestly, the best thing about it is that it's pretty high in alcohol and pretty cheap.

All in all, while it's not one of my favorites, I'll drink it again, simply because it's good when you're broke and want to drink with a couple of friends.

3.83/5  rDev +55.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Need i say anymore its a Miller brewing company malt liquor whoops high gravity... To me its a damn good cheap brew to buy and it will get you where you want to go! It has a good taste, not alot of alcohol punch, which equals you to getting it trouble. Plus it is a $1.50 a 24 ounce can. I cant bitch at this stuff they are producing, to me its better than hurricane hg at 8.10 percent

4.8/5  rDev +94.3%

This is to offset all the beer snobs who get excited over a Jacksonville Pale Ale that's $15 for a six pack.

Get off your high horses.

This "malt liquor" is.... well, it goes down like a Miller Lite.

$3.75 for 4 16oz's 8.1ABV = Trick

under $4 and I'm going to bed early.

Seriously. I'm sick of the snobs hating on shit just because you can find it at a convenience store.

This stuff does the trick, for the price, the drinkability is not harsh at all - it goes down and gets you where you need to be.

Fast. Cheap. Taste Good.

The End.

Now go sample you're Johnson Farms Natural Spring Water Lite Lager with hints of Juniper and give it a 3/5 because it doesn't have a "strong mouth feel"

Over and out,

1.36/5  rDev -44.9%

Great site, been here a bunch but it took drinkin a Steel Reserve prompted me to sign up. This stuff is pure garbage!!! I am on my third one ever and only because my neighbor left one here and I'm out of Natty Light. He lost his liscense cause of DUI, go figure!, and has me give him a ride to the Quicky-Mart from time to time so he can get his "fix". As I said I normally drink the Natty due to price. In a perfect world I'd only drink quality brews like Dos Equis, Corona, Sweetwater 420, Abita or any other quality brew, but it's not a perfect world and I'm drinkin this crap. The only way I can even drink it is to place the rather attractive, stylish can in my right hand and hold my nose with my left thumb and forefinger. Then I pour it in the back of my throat and swallow as quickly as possible. Urgh! Thank god I only had one to drink is all I can say! Don't believe me? Try one. Sure it's strong and will get u drunk, but so is Sterno. Urgh! Yuck!

3.5/5  rDev +41.7%

Cheap beer for a good buzz... LOVE IT!!! Warning!!! Two of these and you are DOWN FOR THE COUNT...just saying... I LOVE BEER...what can I say...It gets expensive....Great alternative for getting a good beer buzz on. I DONT like hard liquor. Can be bought at any connivence store.

2.89/5  rDev +17%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not something I would want to drink regularly. However, it is decent and very cheap so it could be worse. It doesn't smell very good and the color is very yellow for a beer. Not overly carbonated. Taste was better than expected after previous experiences with "high gravity lagers."

2.43/5  rDev -1.6%

I drink 2 40's after work each day of Steel Reserve 211 because it's cheap and gets you buzzed or drunk depending on the consumption speed. It does leave me groggy every morning and upsets my stomach the next day for the first part of the day. In terms of 40's I choose it over all others due to better taste. Given the money I would suggest regular beers over Steel Reserve, but if you want cheap and decent then Steel Reserve is the way to go.

1.65/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Spotted this 24oz monstrosity at the local Mobil Mart. Previously unfamiliar with this beer, and I kinda wish I still was. Not a good beer by any stretch. Very sweet and cough syrupy. High ABV is giving me a little buzz, but is it worth it? I have a bottle of Hop Stoopid in the fridge, but thought I'd try this bad boy first; saving the Lagunitas for the start of the Sox/ Cards third Series game. I'm debating a drain pour...

3.05/5  rDev +23.5%

This is the 6% version and I use it to clean the palate between tastings. It's fairly bland with no overpowering flavors , but the slight maltiness is discernible coupled with a slight bitterness. At 50 cents a can it's a good quaffing beer - nothing really wrong with it, nor great either. Light / medium mouthfeel with a somewhat crisp finish that lacks hop flavor.

1.76/5  rDev -28.7%

Gross. It has a good buzz no doubt. But we don't drink to get muffed up...right?... Well I wouldn't sit in a pub and sip on this beer on a cloudy day in Compton. But I would drink it on the stoop in Harlem.
Hope that sums up this retarded excuse for a beer. It might as well be fortified wine

2.96/5  rDev +19.8%

Note: This is the 6% ABV version

A: Pours a medium golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some faint orangish amber highlights. The beer has a two finger tall foamy white head that quickly reduce to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of grainy malts with sweet corn adjuncts. Slight hints of alcohol as the beer warms up.

T: Upfront the beer is moderately sweet with moderate flavors of grainy and corn adjunct malts and very minimal hints of grassy hops which imparts just a touch of bitterness in the finish which fades quickly. Slight metallic notes as well as some very light hints of alcohol in the finish.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Easy enough to drink and with a decent enough mouthfeel - the flavors are not bad and it is a decent representation of the style (which is not known for complex flavors or subtlety. If I was picking out malt liquors, I would definitely consider grabbing this one again.

3.08/5  rDev +24.7%

Steel Reserve is only drank if you want an affordable buzz. The flavor is better than some other "High Gravity" beers. If you want a tasty beer then you are out of luck; however, if you want a quick buzz without drinking hard liquor then you have come to the right place. One large 24oz can of 8.1 will do the trick but if you're really looking to crash and burn then grab 3 of them and you will have the equivalent of a 6 pack that you will defiantly regret in the morning.

I gave an outstanding rating for the buzz it gives me, the can looks cool the smell isn't, the taste is tolerable, I don't really know what mouthfeel is but it doesn't make me gag so I gave it an "okay" rating.

2.06/5  rDev -16.6%

Bad, insipid brew only made to deliver a 8.1 abv kick. Not that there's anything wrong with that but this stuff is marginally drinkable. Label claims that it has "twice the ingredients" of a regular beer... what, twice the high fructose corn syrup? Worst of all gave a wierd buzz, letting you suck it down without feeling it, then hitting you like a pack of mad Chinese hornets in mating season. Never again!

3.88/5  rDev +57.1%

Pretentious beer snobs need to get off the high horse and smell
the malt liquor. It's pointless to berate this beer. It's not winning
any awards by far. Everybody knows what that little 8.1% ABV
is for. It's to get tanked on the cheap. I bought two 40oz bottles for
a little over five dollars. I put them in the freezer for a bit and drank
Them ice cold. The taste is malty and corn, like it should be. The
Carbonation doesn't kill it either, it's pretty balanced. I think one should
appreciate all beers and not just craft beers and imports. I will say this when
it comes to the 211 "the colder the better

1.33/5  rDev -46.2%

Well.If you are Looking to get Shit Faced and get that way Cheap,then "Steel Reserve 211" can foot the Bill 4sure,and is pretty much just what this crap is made for..it has to be,Because I can not Imagine anyone drinking this swill for the Taste and flavor,which IMHO is Horrid & Disgusting,It Taste like a very cheap beer that has been sitting out for a few days in a toxic waste dump,and has gone flat,absorbed some various toxic chemicals,then was mixed along with some sugar in a rusty Bucket..yes,it is that bad boys and girls..Bleckkkk!

1.97/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: Light yellow...very light for a malt liquor.

Smell: Sour corn and a hint of steel. Faint at first, but it picks up as it warms.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is not awful at first. Similar to smell with sour corn and some metallic minerals. Then it starts to warm a bit and flatten out and boy is it sour. Almost tastes burnt. Mouthfeel is extremely confusing. Starts out ok then becomes thin before making a bit of a bubbly comeback that then turns sticky and finally gassy.

Overall: Not pleasant.

2.53/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

This beer isnt too terrible considering how it's made. It's pretty dark for a "party" beer. There is a very light yet slightly skunky smell to it. It doesn't go down very smoothly but it is not a terrible beer. Against it's competition it soars above the rest lol

2.23/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

appearance - yellow/golden nice color, poured a thick head which faded quickly to a small head, and it does leave lacing on the glass.

smell - malt and kindof sharp

taste - a gross sweetness, and alcohol taste, on top of a beer taste. I feel like the disgusting sweetness overpowers the flavor.

mouthfeel - thick. kindof syrup-like, with a good amount of carbonation.

overall - I give it a 3 because the whole point of this stuff is to get drunk cheap, and if thats ur goal then its ok for that. its a high 8.1%abv and i have seen homeless people drinking this. its not meant to taste great haha.

3.25/5  rDev +31.6%

Pours really pale yellow with about one finger of white head that quickly fades to a very thin ring. A couple of whisps of lacing.
Smell- none detectable, maybe a hint of corny malt.
Taste is not as sweet as the last Malt Liquor I tried. Maybe more astringent though. Some malt shows in this one not sure about any hops.
Mouthfeel is alright. A bit too carbonated though. Finish is medium dry.
Overall pretty good for what it is. Alcohol is fairly well hidden which is good or bad depending on who is drinking this stuff.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company