Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
richkrull

Wisconsin

1.9/5  rDev -19.5%

Steel Reserve is pretty rough overall. I shudder when I pull this beer from my mystery beer machine. That being said, I guess it tastes about the same as most malt liquor. If you're looking to get messed up, this would probably get the job done, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything else.

12-30-2010 18:07:03 | More by richkrull
HalfFull

3.33/5  rDev +41.1%

After a better than expected experience with Olde English I thought I'd make a dash to the store for a reference point before letting this style drift back into the deep confines of my gray matter. Poured into a pint glass, the Reserve pours a similar golden straw with a finger of not quite so long lived foam. Lacing is present but lighter as well and manages to keep a surface cap.

Nose is grainy and slightly sweet with a touch of fruitiness and some yeast as well. Flavor is coarse and grainy in texture with some lemony hop notes. Expands with warming to offer an almost Belgian like quality to the yeast notes.

Citric malt notes in flavor, this beer finishes dry and with a thinner body than the 800, yet still offers a hint of creaminess thanks to a good level of carbonation. Drinks well for its heft.

The American Malt Liquor is surely an under appreciated style given my experience this evening. Yet it does offer some insight as to what it actually costs to make, package and distribute a beer.

12-27-2010 05:22:05 | More by HalfFull
AustinBeerLvr

2.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Twenty four ounce can poured into a large pint glass. A few sips straight from the can.

I have had very limited experience with American Malt Liquors, as to estimation, they are pretty much simply a quick, cheap way to get intoxicated. That said, they do have their place, but this one has a very sweet alcoholic taste that after several sips, gets harder and harder to put down the rest of the glass. Strong taste of corn, fruitiness, and a bit of malt, but above all, a very potent alcohol flavor makes itself present in the nose and taste. Moutfheel is actually kind of thick for the style, with little carbonation and almost overwhelming sweet, thick mouthfeel. Overall, I seriously doubt I'll ever buy this one again, as it seems to be nothing more than a cheap way to get intoxicated. Don't get me wrong, I believe malts have their place, but this one is just too damn sweet and overpowering to be even somewhat drinkable.

12-16-2010 03:48:04 | More by AustinBeerLvr
BerkeleyBeerMan

1.8/5  rDev -23.7%

Appearance: There is a small head that disseminates quickly. Its got a nice clear yellow color. I'm definitely impressed. The last malt I tried "Olde English" lacked these qualities.

Smell: Bright floral notes with a solid wheat backing. Like all malt liquors I get lots from the yeast because the hops are bland.

Taste: I can't believe how sweet this beer is It taste like bananas soaked in everclear It's very relient on sugar as an ingredient. Don't be fooled by this beer though. I think the sugar is an ingredient for a hangover. That's why so many people end up sending this beer back to the toilet from which it came at the end of the night.

Mouthfeel: Its medium bodied. Not as watery as many macro lagers but it isn't good and it taste terrible in the throat. The bittersweet characterstics make we want to swallow this one and get it over with.

Drinkability: This is only good for getting wasted when you are broke. Then again save your money.

12-08-2010 04:26:26 | More by BerkeleyBeerMan
LanceW

2.38/5  rDev +0.8%

My local market carries these for 4 for 5 bux for 24 oz cans. I picked a couple up and drank them. OMG I thought I was back in college or something. I was soo drunk soo quick. I ended up drink 2 of those cans one night and it I did the math... It was like drinking 8 domestic beers.

I would not recommend this to anyone other than someone whom is looking to get a quick buzz or looking to get trashed quick.

12-07-2010 02:04:19 | More by LanceW
gskitt

2.68/5  rDev +13.6%

I recieved a bottle free as a give away promotion. They gave me a t-shirt as well. I guess that should have been a hint of things to come.
This is the first beer I have reviewed that I flat out did not like. Nothing about it was appealing to me, the color, scent and taste were all the same level of blandness. I would not reccomend this beer.

12-03-2010 17:44:08 | More by gskitt
mountsnow1010

Vermont

This is my benchmark for all ones.
I had four sips of this and thought I was going to puke.
Looks and smells as awful as it tastes. Tastes like metal, mold, grease, and gasoline. I am assuming I somehow had a contaminated can or batch or something, or maybe I just hate this beer way more than others do.

Not drinkable at all.

This beer's taste and smell is seared into my memory. The one positive experience I have from this is that I will forever know what all 1's is for my palate.

12-01-2010 18:21:34 | More by mountsnow1010
jera1350

2.95/5  rDev +25%

Light gold color with a decent head of white suds that is pretty thick, but shrinks down within a minute or two. No lacing.

Getting some pale malt sweetness with some notes of banana and lemon. Not too bad.

Pretty big sweetness with notes of honey. Picking up some crisp hops as well along with some pear and apple. The alcohol is pretty evident in the finish and does not blend in particularly well.

Kind of a strange mouthfeel. It's slick and thick up front and then some carbonation emerges in the middle to open things up. It's almost like a hard liquor on the rocks feel.

Overall, this beer is not what I was expecting. I was really expecting a mess, but with the exception of the alcohol taste and mouthfeel, this beer is not half bad. Has to be a great representation of the style.

12-01-2010 01:20:22 | More by jera1350
BrewMaven

3.35/5  rDev +41.9%

I've always been curious to how this would stand up against it's competition, Colt 45 and Old English 800 to name two.

Pours a pretty, clear light amber and has a nice slightly off white head that dropped to a sparse cover after a minute or so. The quickly vanishing head is the only reason this didn't get an even higher appearance score..the champagne like bubbles are just lovely! lol.

Smells of slightly sweet malt and grain.

Taste is surprisingly and substantially better than the aformentioned Colt and Old E. Yes it's still dominated by adjuncty grain but has none of the putridness of Old E and very very little of the raw alcohol flavor I've always tasted in Colt 45. Budweiser is blown away by this in my opinion.

Very clean semi dry finish...(Was that a slight hint of hops?) with an expectedly thin mouthfeel.

Would pair pretty good with a snack tray or burgers.

12-01-2010 00:46:37 | More by BrewMaven
flavorshark

1.75/5  rDev -25.8%

So many bad decisions stemmed from this beer, but like they say, what you did drunk is what you deeply wanted to do. So I deeply want to drink bad "high-gravity" beers.

Scent is of alcohol and maybe corn syrup. Taste is no different save for a piercing, nearly emetic metal something. What is this? No idea, but the FDA should look into it.

This is the sort of drink you choke down if you're looking to rub up against a warm body and don't want to remember. At the risk of being banned, I'll wonder out loud what he Bros were thinking on this one.

11-26-2010 21:01:53 | More by flavorshark
weizenbob

2.23/5  rDev -5.5%

I've never actually had malt liquor before and I have to admit that I'm a bit intimidated by 24 ounces of 8.1% ABV bargain beer. Why am I subjecting myself to this? Anyway this 24 ounce can was partially poured into a mug. A thick two-finger head forms quickly and just as quickly settles down to about a half-finger. The color is a surprisingly dark caramel shade. So far, not too shabby.

This beer reeks of adjunct grains, which actually isn't a bad thing. It smells malty and sweet, yet still thin. Okay enough stalling; it's time to take the plunge.

The first sip of this is a slap in the face. Alcohol hits hard in the mouth but it's attached to a lot of sweetness. Still, it's not really enough sweetness in my opinion. The alcohol takes center stage, and anything else in this brew is just a supporting character. I keep trying to analyze other flavors in the brew but I keep coming back to the alcohol, how it tastes up front, how it coats the back of the mouth, how it burns a little bit going down. The beer is pretty watery, and to its credit, it leaves no lingering aftertaste. It's like a ninja in that respect. However, I am beginning to nootice that I'm getting that fire breething sensation in my nose as I exhale. Also, the room is gettting a litle bit bluru

the moutfeel is not really bad. I poor the rest of the can to the mug. I poor the rest of the can to mug. beer is medium body, very sweet lots of alcohol. starting to not be taste this anymore. feels good in mouf.

suddenly sleepy have hard time finish can. hard time seeee moontor wile tiping not be keeeep dreenkng fer sur not be drink more this... spinnneeeeng take more sipp most gonee think sik why ggg

11-09-2010 17:42:49 | More by weizenbob
HURTemHIZZY

2.15/5  rDev -8.9%

I used to drink this shit in college pretty much every night. It's no wonder I did so shitty.

Looks better than the average malt liquor. Clear, crisp golden amber with a very thin pure white head that dissipates quickly. No lacing. Smell is alcohol, cooked veggies, uhhh.... Something else that I can't describe... Maybe veggies cooked in alcohol? Or cooked veggies which then sat around in a vat of alcohol? Something along those lines... Do they age their veggies in alcohol?

Taste is along the same lines. Noticeable corn, cooked veggies, and a big time alcohol wave that isn't all that pleasant. Tons of sweetness from the malt - At least the malt bill is noticeable! I honestly don't know how I used to drink this so much. I did make it through the bottle though, so it could be worse. Actually, it's better than a lot of other malt liquors, so I think my issue is just with the style in general. Im no longer a man... Fuck you craft beer!

11-03-2010 12:33:36 | More by HURTemHIZZY
SDtastentune

2.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Well, Drank this one just to try a malt, Compared to my usual.

A - Clear golden fizzy pissy with lots of head that dissipates quickly.

S - I don't care for it, stale bread or some kind of flour malty crap.

T - Dry malts & alcohol, mixed with bread of some sort. Kinda sour & rough.

M - Fizzy, malty & overall no likable, almost disgusting & ever foul.

D - I guess its pound-able, after a few good beers but not even. Please never let me buy this again. Should of got another ABA at the place I went, totally not worth it. I think I'm going to pour it down the drain, but no its beer.

10-28-2010 06:55:51 | More by SDtastentune
prototypic

2.83/5  rDev +19.9%

Vintage 2009

Ahhh yes. For my 1000th review, I found it somewhat irresistible to tackle the legendary Steel Reserve.

Steel Reserve pours a pale yellow color. It's very clear. Backlighting gives it a distinct yellow color. A foamy white head tops it. It stands about a finger and a half tall and falls relatively quickly. ABV? Perhaps. Lacing was a little sticky, but very light. Meh. Not exciting.

The nose is below average. It's very weak, and doesn't feature much in terms of aromatics at all. It's earthy and grainy throughout. There's definitely a corn scent that's prominent. Alcohol is noticeable, but isn't overwhelming. That pretty much wraps it up. Not much to smell here.

The flavor is a little better actually. This isn't the pungent beast I anticipated. Is it good? Absolutely not. But it's far from the worst beer I've ever had. It kicks off with a strong corn flavor. It should come as no surprise that that flavor lingers throughout. There are some earthy and grainy flavors that aren't altogether bad. I'm getting a tad bit of sweet malt. It does a decent job of holding things together. Alcohol is definitely there, but this is a malt liquor after all. What'd you expect? Finishes a little sweet and corn-y (no pun intended).

Steel Reserve has a body that's on the light side of medium. Carbonation is active. While it doesn't feel smooth, it doesn't have a bad feel. Drinkability is below average. Eh. The flavor's alright, but there's not enough here to really draw you in. It's not a disaster, but I'm not enjoying it. Finish the can? Eh. We'll see about that.

I really anticipated Steel Reserve to be a huge disaster. Honestly, it's not. I picked this for my 1000th review as a joke. But this is nowhere close to being the worst beer I've ever had. Truth. It's not good. Definitely lacking in aromatics, flavor, and just about everything else. But...if the Malt Liquor mood strikes, I can honestly say that Steel Reserve isn't a terrible choice.

10-24-2010 02:58:29 | More by prototypic
connery89

A very thick golden color
A Nice sweet, decently strong malty smell
Strong alcoholy metallic taste that can seem to overwhelm (or burn) your taste buds
fairly mediocre body, very carbonated. Can definately dry out your mouth.
The drinkability of this beer is really dependant on your plans for the night. Definately not a sipping beer. Its not the best beer to grab for if you have important plans that day. But it can be a very fun beer to start your night off with.

10-23-2010 03:58:41 | More by connery89
TheKingofWichita

2.33/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a pale golden color with a white head and no lacing.
Smells of malts, and minimal hops.
Tastes fairly sweet with a little hop presence, but not overpowering. It is overall fairly bland. What do you expect its like a buck fifty. I'd say average.
Mouthfeel is way too thin.
And it isn't too drinkable with a stupid high alcohol content for a cheap beer.

10-10-2010 20:55:55 | More by TheKingofWichita
sloopy

Despite what this is, I say it's average. Yeah it's not the best, but it's not the worst. Yeah I wouldn't break this out at a fancy party, but for like a game or some other event where I'm supplying the beer and everyone's main goal is intoxication, why not? It's hardly as bad as bad as Old E or any of those malt liquors. Plus it's 8.1% abv. All I'm saying is that when there's a party or something, why spend the extra money on Bud or Miller products that (in my opinion) taste about the same and have less alcohol? Anyone at your party that doesn't like it can always bring their own, and those that give it a chance will appreciate it when the 8.1% kicks in.

10-04-2010 17:21:52 | More by sloopy
ronniebruner

Arizona

1.7/5  rDev -28%

Absolutely one of the worst malt liquors ever. This doesnt even compare to a warm King Cobra or Old English. If youre broke, or a hobo living behind Circle K and you need a cheap disgusting 40 ouncer, then you will love this. If that is not you. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

10-04-2010 03:13:37 | More by ronniebruner
dpnelson1978

1.53/5  rDev -35.2%

24 oz. can into glass pint.
40°F

$1.29 / ea.

A: Bright golden body with a huge loose head of moderate retention that leaves light lacing and a thick rocky cover.

S: Super sweet aroma, and no hop profile. Pretty one dimensional, and not very inviting.

T: Over-the-top cloying sweetness. Corn. No hop flavor. Fermented barley kool-ade.

M: Coats the tongue with sugar. Medium body with low to medium carbonation. Not pleasant.

D: I could only handle about 6 oz. of the can before I had to drain pour. Too sweet and no flavor balance.

O: Worse than I expected and I wasn't expecting much. Give me a Miller Lite over this any day.

09-21-2010 03:27:57 | More by dpnelson1978
Sleestak

3.35/5  rDev +41.9%

Ah the Steel Reserve how do you do? Tallboy for $1.99 at the local Stater Bros. A big sweet malt liqour. Tons of sweetness, green apple. I've been drinking this for awhile and as I'm finishing up it's NOT getting ghastly, big plus there. A big, mean, nasty malt liqour but still holds some respectibility being that it's still drinkable as it warms. Handle with caution.

09-17-2010 20:09:35 | More by Sleestak
southernmagnus

Alabama

3.43/5  rDev +45.3%

Cheap and potent.

Definitley on the sweet-side. Occasionally feels like melted caramel in my mouth.

As a kid who grew up on Old English and Schlitz, this is a considerable step above.

Holy Moly this stuff, for the price/category, is drinkable.

Some times you want to get plastered for cheap, and this'll do it better than anything else out there.

09-14-2010 16:54:17 | More by southernmagnus
samie85

3.33/5  rDev +41.1%

A-Pours a very pale golden color with a two finger, very white head that dissipates just as quickly as it occurs.

S-A mild, piny hop nose with some sweet grains.

T-Sweet grains upfront with some corn and some sweet green apple notes on the finish with a slight drying note.

M-Pretty smooth and light but prickly carbonation with a slightly drying mouthfeel.

D-Pretty easy drinking for 8%. It drinks like a hoppier version of Miller High Life, which isn't a bad thing for a malt liquor.

09-11-2010 03:30:55 | More by samie85
buschbeer

2.73/5  rDev +15.7%

I poured into a pint glass to one inch of white head. It is gold in color. The aroma is grainy sweet with alcohol. The taste is sweet with alcohol. The mouthfell is thin. This is a rough beer to drink. The ABV is great for getting ripped, but other than that it's worthless. Don't get me wrong. Every now and then you just need to get lit!

09-11-2010 01:46:57 | More by buschbeer
FreshHawk

2.42/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Light, clear amber color with an average sized, foamy white head. Disappears fast with almost no lace left.

S - Fair amount of grain and a touch of fruitiness, especially apple. Fair amount of sulfur aroma and some urine like aroma. Maybe a touch of hops. Not great.

T - Similar to the nose. Plenty of grainy and alcohol flavors. Also a pretty strong apple flavor. Faint corny sweetness as well. Taste like a high alcohol mix of a poor lager and a poor cider. Some sulfur flavors present. Touch of mineral taste on the finish.

M - Between light and medium body, that is closer to light. Pretty carbonated. A bit of a thin and watery feel but somewhat crisp.

D - Limited drinkability with not that great of flavor and a high, noticeable ABV.

Notes: About what I expected from this. It's primary function is a cheap way to get alcohol in your system. For what it is, it doesn't taste horrible and gets the job done.

09-08-2010 05:06:38 | More by FreshHawk
StoneBrewFanatic

2.58/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Pours a very light straw color into my pint glass, decent head that dissipates very quickly and leaves behind little to no lace. Lots of carbonation happening here.

S - Sweet malts, grain, alcohol.

T - On the sweet side, nice malts and grain, there is a little bit of citrus I am getting as well.

M - Pretty lite in body with lots of carbonation, a little too much I would say. Has a nice warmth to it.

D - Drank this one back in the day and decided to give it a whirl while I was kinda broke at only $1.20 for a 24oz. can who can really complain? Anyway, for what it is, it's a pretty good beer.

08-31-2010 23:12:19 | More by StoneBrewFanatic