Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
1.98/5  rDev -16.1%

pours bright yellow gold with a 1+ finger white head that fades thin film and left some spotted lacing

smells of corn/malt and alcohol - just how i thought it would

taste is very sweet corny malts and kick you in the face booze

mouthfeel is a medium body that overly carbonated

drinkability - never again - this was a drain pour - this beer is only for those who want to get drunk for little money

jsh420, Dec 22, 2009
2.53/5  rDev +7.2%

this isnt a beer to buy to taste, you drink these to get drunk. it tastes and smells pretty much like watered down grainy corny mash. it looked ok, but thats just because it had a little more color than light beers. i probably wont be buying this again.

SpencerSauce, Nov 28, 2009
1.9/5  rDev -19.5%

Big tall boy aluminum can. Its actually a pretty cool looking design, but it screams energy drink rather than beer. Cheapest tall boy at the gas station on the corner.

A- I feel weird pouring this into an actual glass...I chose one of my mugs. Water thin pour, a sizeable 2-finger bleach white head rises up and sticks around for a little bit. No lacing. Lots of effervescence seen through a crystal clear golden yellow body.

S- This actually has a smell. Its really full of corn and malts. There is a bit of that typical "beer" smell that you think of when someone spills a plastic cup full of light beer on you at a football game.

T- Uhmm...Some corn malts, no hops at all, aluminum and a weird alcoholic/gasoline taste on the finish. This beer isnt balanced. Its really quite sweet.

M- Watery, typical medium carbonation. No alcohol heat or presence at all.

D- Sold in large quantities, engineered to be drank in large quantities, easy to drink in large quantities. This isnt for personal enjoyment as far as taste/smell/feel goes. Its for a cheap drunk.

I used to drink these from time to time. They have a significance in my history as I was introduced to Steel Reserve right after I moved out to Columbus. I felt it deserved a BA review for that reason and that reason alone.

MbpBugeye, Nov 23, 2009
2.6/5  rDev +10.2%

I used to drink this when I would come home from college at the holidays and drink this with my buddies so I figured it would be fun to review it.

A- Pours a clear, golden color with about a half finger's worth of head off of a decent pour, with no retention.

S- Smell of grain and maybe even a little bit of malt and not really anything else.

T- Surprisingly not as bad as I remember it. A little bit of corn with a bit of a minerally taste to it. Hides the high ABV very well.

M- A thin bodied beer that is pretty highly carbonated but is pretty smooth going down.

D- I can see why this is cheap, but I can see why people drink it. It has a high ABV and doesn't taste just awful. It is meant to be drank in large quantities as I used to do with friends.

Wisconsinality, Nov 17, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Golden color with a huge head of foam, good lacing;

S: Soft, some grain and corn;

T: Very boring, just malt and liquor, but quite acceptable.

M: Rough and dry, mild flavored coffee in the mouth.

D: Very cheap, you get drunk quickly and you can buy it at almost all gas stations.

roddwolff, Nov 08, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -18.2%

My roommate just came home with a couple 40s of this. I haven't had it in so long, and I just felt compelled to try a bit and write a review.

A: The beer is a light golden color with a very fluffy white head. There are tons of bubbles.

S: Corn and grain sweetness, along with some alcohol. No hops, no surprise.

T: Very sweet, but also some off flavors. Corn syrup, decaying grains, and pennies. There is a definite heat from the alcohol on the finish.

M: Very light bodied and very effervescent.

D: If it's cold enough, you can take it down quickly. And I recommend doing so.

womencantsail, Nov 04, 2009
2.6/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance:
After pouring this beer, I noticed that it had a blondish straw colour with a healthy amount of carbonation (at first) and a very tall (yet short lived) head. Later on there was a bit of noticable lacing on the glass. Not terribly appealing visualy and not worthy of a lager title!

Aroma:
Strong smell of corn and alcohol. Sweet almost fruity smelling (probably due to its high alcohol content).

Palate:
To light and soft for my taste.

Flavour:
This beer tastes fairly sweet and almost fruity. However, I can not put my finger on what type of fruit! It tastes too light for a true lager in my opinion! It has a strange aftertaste (almost metalic)!

Overall:
I have to say that this beer is more of an american malt beverage than a true lager. In fact, to call it a lager is a crime! I must say it would be great for someone who wants to get smashed! It's high 8.9% ABV is sneeky and will definatly hit you after just one of these mediocre beers. No wonder it is called "High Gravity"! I would never serve this to guests but might drink if I need a good buzz!

macrent2, Sep 30, 2009
3.25/5  rDev +37.7%

A: Average appearance
S: Reminiscent of boiled vegetables and corn but balanced with some malty odors.
T: Surprisingly good! I was just going for 'not the worst' but this is definitely above my threshold for buying it again. Enough flavor to prevent me from mistaking it for carbonated water, even if just barely.
M: Good here again. Medium bodied. Not pee water but not a glass of bread either.
D: Very drinkable. Although it's not the best beer by a long shot, there's no part of it that I'd call bad, so down the hatch!

Notes: For some reason all the Steel Reserve around here is 6.0% ABV. Maybe that makes it more palatable.

xerxes2695, Sep 15, 2009
2.73/5  rDev +15.7%

Another CAN! CAN you believe it? I should have run dry by now, but no, I keep unearthing new CANs to try.

I have to cop to being impressed by their name and the hearkening back to Medieval times with regard to the 211 mark as that times' symbol for steel. For the uninitiated, steel is iron ore with its impurities removed and replaced by such compounds as manganese to ensure both hardness and malleability. I am a wannabe yinzer who spent an entire semester researching the rise and fall of the steel industry during JuCo and garnered the nickname "Superman" (The Man of Steel) from the local librarians as a result. The Steel Brewing Co.?!? Shoulda been based outta Da 'Burgh! Onward.

Well, now, didn't a nice two fingers' worth of rocky bone-white head appear to my delight? Betcha! The retention was phenomenal, well exceeding expectations and beginning to form some nice lace as it reduced. Nose, however, was rubbish. It was fusel, adjunct, perfumy, cloying. I could really do without this sort of thing. Color was a deep gold with NE-quality clarity. Nothing new, but nothing wrong with that aspect of it. Mouthfeel was medium with a candy sweetness on the tongue. I mean really sweet, like cotton candy. It was not necessarily unpleasant, but for a hophead, it was pegging the opposite end of the meter. It needed an offsetting swig of water to cut the sweetness. Finish was smooth, as advertised, but at the extreme finish, I was still jonesin' for some water and then some hops. WAY too sweet. This had "hangover" tattooed all over it. Suck a couple of these bad boys down, fall asleep, and awake with a mother of a dehydrated brain housing group. Ouch.

woodychandler, Sep 01, 2009
2.9/5  rDev +22.9%

24 oz. can. Pint Glass. Malt Liquor mmm.

A: Extreme carbonation. Two finger white head. Fluffy head. Turns to nothing but with a little lacing.

S: Sweet malts. Kind of smells like ice beer.

T/M: Sweet and malty. Dry. I can really taste the alcohol. Since they don't really use hops the taste is cut down. It is smooth however and the heavy malts are ok It could be crisper.

D: Not all that great, but ok. It is smooth and the alcohol is strong and just wanting to get you wasted. A good brew on when on a low budget.

Cheers!

mnrider, Aug 28, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -6.8%

A - Clear dark yellow, like the color of urine or apple juice. Has a decent head that comes down to a respectable layer of foam, and leaves a good bit of lacing.

S - Wet cardboard, aluminum can and fermented corn mash. Smells strikingly like vomit.

T - What can I say? Taste is like a generic light macro (ala Natty Light or Milwaukee's Best) with a tart, cheese-like alcoholic bite. Acidic and vomit tasting.

M - Flat, watery... just funky.

D - The only saving grace here is that it gets you drunk, so soon you won't be tasting this nasty beer. I'll admit it: Steel Reserve was a go-to beer for me in college, and one of the brands that captivated me before I turned 21. However, now that I've matured and the most important factor for me in buying beer isn't alcohol-to-price ratio (for which, really, Steel Reserve cannot be beaten), I'll only drink one of these when I want to re-experience old times.

hossua34, Aug 23, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +11.4%

This is what my parents had in their fridge when I went to visit and I wanted a beer...

Poured a decent golden yellow with some nice fizzy head, a bit of lacing, and a fair amount of carbonation. Very sweet and malty scent, not a lot of characteristics, but not bad. Funky taste, slightly skunky, not a lot there beyond a sweet maltiness. Goes down slightly thick and not as refreshing as it should have been. Won't get it for myself.

JamesS, Aug 11, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +25%

Bought on a whim for under a buck. You get what you pay for. Although it was better than I expected.

Good pour, nice head and carbonation. Golden yellow color.

Malty and crisp, but the flavor is missing a lot of the subtle tones that make a beer really good.

Too watery, but as it goes for cheap beer, this is one of the better I have had.

benteach, Aug 03, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -11.9%

A-drank from a fourty ounce bottle. Nice yellow color.

S-not too bad.

T-not the worst but no where near good

M-thick but not too thivk

D-good drinkability

notes:not going to buy this one again unless i am just looking to get a buzz with cheap change.

chris761, Aug 03, 2009
2.38/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a 24 ounce can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Large foamy head has pretty good retention. Clear golden body.

Smell: Corn and a little grassiness. Doesn't smell too bad.

Taste: The taste is the worst thing this beer has going for it. Too much of a corn adjunct taste to it.

BierFan, Jul 25, 2009
2.83/5  rDev +19.9%

This is the second of cheap beers on our game night.

Pours a clear pale yellow with a thin off-white head on top. Little retention, leaves some lacing. Smells of sugar malt, grain, and bread.

The mouth on this is thin and slick. I don't like the feel of this at all. Flavor is of sweet malts. Slight fruity aftertaste which is weird. Not bad for a game night or a ball game. This would hit the spot, but I've had better malt liquors.

Onenote81, Jul 15, 2009

Poured from a 24 oz can into a tall ale glass. Clear dark yellow beer with a finger of foam that didn't last long. Smelled like a corn field. Tasted sweet, sweeter than many I've tried. Mouthfeel was weak and unremarkable. Maybe I've missed the point.

ProfessorCJ, Jul 14, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +25%

24 oz can poured into an American Tumbler. Best by date printed on the bottom of the can of Nov.09'09

A - Clear gold color with a mild white head that's short-lived. The bubbles come up slowly like they're passing through syrup. It left a ring but no more.

S - Sweet malts and corn. Lots of corn. Very sugary smelling with a kiss of hops.

T - Incredibly sweet. There's gotta be a lot of unfermented sugars in there. Sweet cooked corn and crystal malts. No hop presence at all. The sweetness gives it somewhat of a very mild fruity touch though.

M - Smooth and viscous yet well carbonated. Finishes incredibly sweet with an alcohol warming.

D - This is meant for one thing only - getting trashed. The flavor is waaaay too sweet to be an easy drinker.

BeerFMAndy, Jul 10, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -0.4%

Oddly enough, my can of Steel Reserve sports a 6.0% ABV instead of the listed 8.1%. Purchased in Louisiana and I am sure there is not an ABV cap here. Pours a clear medium gold color with a rapidly diminishing white head.

Smell on this beer is extremely light. Just a mild hint of corn-like adjuncts, carbonated water and alcohol. Thats it, very simple.

Low flavor, high alcohol...what a novel concept. The taste is very watery and mildly sweet. Alcohol is noticeable, but hidden well. Pretty smooth, goes down easy. Only reason to drink this is to catch a buzz, cause it tastes like nothing.

twiggamortis420, Jul 07, 2009
2.73/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a pale golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Aroma is of malts, some alcohol. The taste is not paticularly good, alcohol is present, some malts.Feels light in the mouth and has below average drinkability. Overall there is nothing great about this beer.

tone77, Jul 02, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +62.3%

This is probably my favorite high octane cheap beer. No, it's not like being born again or anything but it's the first thing I'll usually reach for on a week night when I'm saving some of my "nicer beers" for the weekend.

It pours a nice head and has ok color. What I like about it is it actually has a decent/good beer flavor, unlike a lot of HG's/Malts. Along with that, it packs a 8.1% buzz and is entirely drinkable. It isn't a cheap beer that I'm racing to finigh before it's no longer ice cold.

At $6.79 a twelver, this is a regular for me when I just want something decent to get things going with.

SPIKEY66, Jul 02, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -24.6%

Not much point in talking about this but here's a quick review anyway.

Smell is not too bad - no intense corn like I had expected. Taste is not too bad, very simple & sweet to balance out the alcohol heat. The color is actually nice rich yellow.

There is a bloaty undeniably cheap quality to it. I didn't buy it so I'm note sure what it cost.

Overall, I've had worse, but like those others I'll never be trying this again. Drank about 3 ounces, got a headache, decided not to experiment with the rest of the can.

xymyl, Jun 29, 2009
3.18/5  rDev +34.7%

Grabbed a 24oz of this one for old times sake. Now that I know more about beer, how does it stack up?

White head w/ a lot of holes, vanishes quickly. Pours a thin copper. Smells faintly like hard candy, and a little rice.

Taste no discernible malt at all. Kinda reminds me of a low budget wheat beer, though it feels like half-flat pop going down.

It's definitely smooth drinking. Not particularly flavorful drinking, but then again that's not why you buy it is it? For a cheap malt liquor it's pretty good though, no shame in buying it compared to the average.

longbongsilver, Jun 28, 2009

From the 24 fl. oz. can marked OCT2609-G08011034. Sampled on June 23, 2009. The pour was mainly yellow and clear with an incredible carbonated head about four inches thick and I did not even shake the can. But it faded directly. Surprisingly good lacing. It had the aroma of malts, barley, and alcohol and the alcohol was the leading scent. The taste was not quite as alcohol-strong as the aroma but it was there along with vague malts and hops. It warmed up my earlobes and that only seems to happen when I drink Miller products. This is gut-cleaning booze.

puboflyons, Jun 23, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +71.6%

I've drunk this beer from time to time over several months, always served in glass from the 40 oz. bottles. The color is a fresh yellow tinged toward green rather than red, the aroma is slight, the head is sturdy at first but doesn't last, giving way to a lacy residue. While this beer has never bowled me over in the way that certain German, Czech and Dutch lagers/pilsners have, it is nevertheless of a reliably high quality and remarkably satisfying to drink. I find it difficult to imagine how it can have rated such low grades, unless the previous evaluators simply don't like lagers.

mpreisz, Jun 16, 2009