Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
NoahSYGG

1.25/5  rDev -47%

This is a one of a kind beer. The color was a dull golden. The smell was skunky. I got it from a 24 oz can. The taste was malty and tasted like alcohol. The mouthfeel was thick and syurpy. I was not a big fan, I prefer a colt 45 if I want malt liquor.

07-30-2008 20:04:11 | More by NoahSYGG
kinger

1.48/5  rDev -37.3%

I've had a few of these out of the 12 ounce bottle a couple of years ago at my uncle's house. I remembered that they were rather decent and that I got one heck of a quick buzz going. Tonight I wasy a 24 ounce silver can at my grocer's freezer for a buck so why not pick one up (I considered picking up more than one, but they aren't going anywhere so why waste the money) I said to myself. Pours a dirty yellow, light copper color with a frothy head that soon dwindles down. no lacing and minimal carbonation which I assume is due to a high alcohol content. I take a wiff and bam it hits me this is malt liquor in disguise, packaged as a strong lager. Well now I know that what has to be done is to start swillin' quickly and forget about it. Bad on the palate, and the flavor is typical of malt liquor. Overall this is not a good beer in any sense, and I suggest you walk on home boy.

07-30-2008 19:23:15 | More by kinger
charliedango

2.98/5  rDev +26.3%

While I don't have a lot of experience with malt liquors, I'd have to say this surprised me. For having an 8.1% alcohol by volume rating I was surprised at how subtle it was. Unlike a lot of Ice brewed beers I've tried that have tasted thin and metallic, this beer had more flavor and heartiness to it. The smell was what threw me off as it reeks of high alcohol content. Overall I wouldn't drink this beer often, but it's not a beer I would refuse to drink.

06-28-2008 05:23:09 | More by charliedango
MrHungryMonkey

2.93/5  rDev +24.2%

Nose:
Mild sweet-smelling malt aromas with some fruit (creamy like banana, but brighter like apricot or pear).

Look:
Pale-medium gold color, good clarity, moderate head with poor retention.

Flavor:
Sticky malt character comes right out, then I find a subtly teasing alcohol heat that reminds me of a cocktail. Sweet alcohol in mid-palate and finish. Toasty malt, dry demeanor. Hint of hop mostly through tartness.

Feel:
Medium-to-medium-thick body. Mild carbonation. Alcohol dryness.

The Verdict:
There's a good bit of malt and hop flavor here for a beer that's designed to be alcoholic first and drinkable second (I assume... why else would people buy it?). It's not bad when it's cool, as it warms it gets increasingly hard to stomach. For a malt liquor, I expected much, much worse.

The can looks awesome. Kudos to he who designed the label - truly first class. I'd buy anything that looks this aesthetic at least once.

06-23-2008 01:32:52 | More by MrHungryMonkey
demitriustown

1.4/5  rDev -40.7%

You only drink this malt liqour to do one thing get messed up really quick. Great when you want a good buzz without alot of cash. It does taste horrible though, but I have to admit I like the STEEL once in a while. Used to be a staple when I wanted a quick buzz in college. Now it's rather disgusting.

06-21-2008 22:30:48 | More by demitriustown
DmanGTR

1.33/5  rDev -43.6%

I tried to kiss you but you sliced my tongue in half with your metal. I tried to hold you but you ran so thin through my fingers. As we began our first dance you brought forth your wrath and smote me across my face, whispering "you shall fall." In desperate straits I strangled you face down on the kitchen table, wrestled your convulsing body to the sink, and washed away your wretched soul with tears of joy. I hope you perish and woe betide those who walk with your kin.

06-01-2008 16:31:22 | More by DmanGTR
happygnome

2.03/5  rDev -14%

a: pours a yellow orange color with about a half inch of head that dissapears quick with no lacing a good aount of carbonation is rising from the bottom of the glass to the top
s: corn malts alcohol little to no hops
t: corn malts and alcohol
m: light to medium bodied beer with a lot of carbonatoin

overall, not a good brew i wouldnt recommend

05-20-2008 17:45:34 | More by happygnome
Strix

Wisconsin

3.45/5  rDev +46.2%

pale yellow, quickly fading head

smells of sweet grains and corn

taste is surprisingly good for me. clean and crisp, with barley and a kiss of hops. Really, this is not bad.

mouthfeel somewhat weak.

washed down food quite well. Not bad for a cheap beer.

05-15-2008 00:16:42 | More by Strix
aerozeppl

2.63/5  rDev +11.4%

A: One shade darker than golden. Minimal white head with no lacing. Better than most malt liquors.

S: Pure corn. Not good.

T: Very sweet. Corn again. Not good.

M: Med body. Super light. Damn this is dry.

D: After a bunch of beers not that bad. Nothing I would seek out though.

05-10-2008 04:57:24 | More by aerozeppl
rye726

Colorado

1.33/5  rDev -43.6%

This stuff is really cheap and obviously has some kind consumer market. This golden colored jewel has a beautifull white head for about a second. The smell is hard to take. Bitter, stale and harsh. The taste is not much better. A thick syrupy body with lots of carbonation makes this pretty rough. Not advised.

05-05-2008 18:26:48 | More by rye726

2.88/5  rDev +22%

I dont do many malt liquors, but if I had to (or wanted to), I'd be reaching for this one first and foremost....

This hi strength brew pours a nice copper hued gold color. It has a massive head which seemed to stick around longer than i'd figured it would...not bad

The smell is very sweet: malts, and a lot of alcohol. Not very inviting.

The taste is actually pretty nice. Lots of malt, maybe a hint of a hop, and lots of alcohol. Everything balances out fairly nicely when its ice cold.

The mouthfeel is pretty thick for the style. Its almost thick enough to chew on.

Drinkability is just average...because of its high alcohol content (8.1%), it will only take a few cans to floor you...I know it did me.

All in all, for the style, this is pretty good. When I need a high strength brew, the reserve is my choice!

Prost!

04-26-2008 09:01:49 | More by 1099
Offa

This is deep gold with a thin white head thinning quickly to a cloudy ring.

The aroma is winey with sweet fruit and meat, somewhat similar to some blond doppelbocks and less rich wee heavies I've had.

The taste is similar, very alcoholic and winey, a bit sweet, malty, and meaty. It's strong and a tad harsh but has definite, full, musky, fruity flavours with a hint of sweet grain. It's somewhat interesting, and has a sweet, pungent alcoholic quality, bite, and warmth. It has medium body and a slightly thick, oily palate.

04-23-2008 16:49:27 | More by Offa
jadpsu

Georgia

2.58/5  rDev +9.3%

I bought based on nothing else but price. It was cheap, $1.00 for a 24 oz. can. Always interested in finding a decent inexpensive beer. So my expectations were low and the beer actually did better than my expectations, but not by much. In other words while it was not very good, it wasn't terrible either.

Poured a clear golden yellow with a decent head. Had a clean aroma with slight wiffs of graininess/grassiness. Nothing offensive al all.
Taste has some malty grain along with alcohol taste that comes through. It was cold and the taste was pretty much comparable to several of the macro american lagers, meaning serve it cold on a hot day and actually can hit the spot.

But not as

04-21-2008 22:37:04 | More by jadpsu
bobbinalong

Washington

2.83/5  rDev +19.9%

This one is only to be purchased in cans. The clear glass bottles quickly destroy it's few tasteful attributes. As others have stated I've had pretty good ones and pretty bad ones, probably directly related to how old it is. I've had a few that I could actually taste hops in but they are very rare.

During my years of being a low budget guy I found this to be the most drinkable of malt liquors and I still consume it on a regular basis. It actually makes a nice contrast to thicker quality beers and reminds you of why you spend what you do to get the good stuff.

One trick for improving the taste if you should choose to pour this in a glass is to squeeze in a slice of lime. Makes it more refreshing on a hot summer day

04-17-2008 22:51:46 | More by bobbinalong
giblet

2.6/5  rDev +10.2%

poured decent into my glass, good head and carbonation. grain aroma with a hint of metalic. bitey taste of grain and carbonation. ok for a thirst quencher and a beer to catch a buzz on. 8.1% abv helps that cuz i would not drink four or six to do it.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

04-17-2008 18:04:11 | More by giblet
tab021

3.18/5  rDev +34.7%

For such a special event of beer tasting, I pulled out the ol' Nintendo to make sure I had a good time with this fortified malt...

A: light gold with a head that vanishes into a of bubbles by the time you could shove a cartridge in.

S: Malt and alcohol. remember how you thought beer smelled when you were like 3? this is that smell

T: A very simple mid sweetness with a small bitterness that is not exactly great, but its definitely tolerable.

F: Light carbonation and easy to drink

D: In the event I ever wanna get hammered without investing more than a few dollars, this is definitely the drink to accomplish that. But thats really all it is here for. Not so much the enjoyment of a true beer, but simply to get trashed.

*after completing all 8 levels in Super Mario I stand up only to find how hard this baby hits. I wobble, stare for a minute, then promptly sit down, and plug in Super Mario 2

04-13-2008 13:17:31 | More by tab021
turbine2475

1.38/5  rDev -41.5%

I can't explain why I drank this last night but I needed this to transend a barrier!!!! Had 666 as my review score and couldn't hang with that but this brew truely sucks!!! So I hope you guys don't succumb to the massive hangover Because ./5 is much cheaper, much better, and a lot easier on the body!!!

03-16-2008 07:00:09 | More by turbine2475
soupyman10

District of Columbia

1.43/5  rDev -39.4%

Got this beauty in a 40 oz for $2. Truly one of the finest beverages I've ever seen, smelt or tasted. Poured a delightful straw color with tons of tiny little bubbles. Thankfully, no head was in view. Nose was an aromatic acidic sweetness and grain. Taste was likewise, although the deliciously biting mouthfeel basically made the taste non-existent. This was so good I even almost finished one.

02-19-2008 23:31:41 | More by soupyman10
altgeeky1

New Hampshire

2.35/5  rDev -0.4%

Can opens... but the pop is from the pulltab. I expected some report from the CO2. Looking at the can, there's absolutely no way to know how old it is. Poured into a pilsner glass, golden-yellow but I get absolutely no head.. just weak lacing. Carbonation levels are among the lowest I've ever seen.
Smells like homebrew bottling sugar.. .all corn, and I couldn't smell any hops at all. Tastes interesting actually - at first no taste at all, as the carbonation breaks into very fine bubbles. This is followed by a ton of sweet unfermented sugars (corn) at the front of the mouth, yet follows very dry in the mouth and finishes with a light alcohol burn in the mouth. Like Hurricane, this is a half step up for the style. Mouthfeel is thick watery sugar, and while it's not a quality brew it's escapes that cidery burn taste that I usually detect in a shitty American corn beer (I think I'd prefer this to Bud). Drinkability..? Hmm. The style is meant to be drunk from a paper bag, alongside a spliff or blunt -- I have neither. But it's drinkable especially if you remind yourself that afterwards, you can chase with a good pils or Anchor.

02-08-2008 02:12:21 | More by altgeeky1
GlockAmore

3.58/5  rDev +51.7%

The biggest problem with Steel Reserve 211 is inconsistency. The flavors and appearance I note here are for a "good" one. I've found several "bad" ones that were a far cry from what the brewers intended. I don't know if it's the clear glass bottle, or poor quality control, all I know for sure is-occasionally I get one that's awful.

Appearance is deep gold, a bit richer than most mass produced beers. Taste is rich, malty sweetness with just a kiss of hop and an alcohol finish. I rather like its balance. Head is pure white with fine bubbles that dissipates quickly, leaves little lacing. Mouth feel is bit thin for the robust flavors of this brew, but then, for 99 cents a bomber(!) you could do worse.

02-07-2008 19:31:14 | More by GlockAmore
Deadstar

2.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Served out of a 24oz. into a glass. (Was this a bad idea? If I have a malt liquor it's usually straight from the bottle or can hehe)

Look: Holding the drink up to a light, it looks to be a light gold. A fair amount of carbonation rising up to the surface; after the pour a two finger head dissipated into a thin layer of bubbles.

Smell: Malty and sweet, some alcohol too.

Taste: I can definitely taste the alcohol in this, it seems to hit at the beginning and also at the end. This drink is also somewhat sweet and that rolls in at the middle. Not too bad.

Feel: Light carbonation on the tongue, goes down pretty easy.

Drinkability: I can have something like this every once in a while, but not much more than that.

Overall, I can't really say that I like it a lot but I think that it's definitely above some of the other malt liquors I've had. Not too bad.

edit - I feel my C- might be a little low, so give it a shot if you've never had it. It's really not all that bad and does in a pinch. (for me)

02-05-2008 22:26:23 | More by Deadstar
bboven

2.7/5  rDev +14.4%

Someone left this in my fridge after a party, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

A- medium-pale yellow with a big fizzy head that fades quickly to nothing. Crystal clear.

Smells like corn and DMS and something industrial, like solvent or something. Not the greatest even in this category.

Taste is very sweet corn and light sweet malt. There's a tinge of sourness to it. Surprisingly flavorful, actually. Not really a great flavor, but it's there nonetheless.

Carbonation is bubbly, pretty drying, and thin. Spot on for style.

I've had better, and I've had worse. Let's just leave it at that.

02-03-2008 00:58:34 | More by bboven
weylinfidler

Nebraska

3.33/5  rDev +41.1%

This is not as bad as many would lead you to believe. If you are a Budweiser drinker than yea it is gonna suck. If you have a more sophisticated beer taste it isn't all that bad.

A - Not much to it, lots of writing on the can and it says "Steel" on it. As a Steelers fan I don't need to know anything else

S - Smells like it tastes, heavy and thick. Noticeable alcohol smell as well

T - You could almost chew it. Thick, heavy, and very much like a malt liquor.

M - Just enough Carbonation for this style. Does have a bit of an after taste that one must get used to.

D - A 24oz can for $.99!?!?! If you can only take one it makes the rest of the night go smooth. I can drink about 2 24ozer's before I need a change.

02-01-2008 04:47:13 | More by weylinfidler
armock

2.15/5  rDev -8.9%

A - Poured a straw color with a white head

S - Is your typical malt beverage stinky malt and other bad smells

T - Follows the smell pretty typical bad malt taste

M - The carbonation is fairly light in this beverage and it pretty smooth

D - Malt beverages are not my first choice for well anything I'm not a pro at evaluating them but I can say that this one is better than their triple export version

01-27-2008 22:16:05 | More by armock
burnstar

2.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a pale straw color with a small head. Smell is adjuncts, slightly sweet. Fairly typical malt liqour/macro aroma. Very light taste. Adjuncts. Dull sweetness. A touch of alcohol. Again pretty typical for the style. Light bodied which is as it should be. Fairly drinkable. Average malt liqour overall.

01-19-2008 23:54:36 | More by burnstar