Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
2.05/5  rDev -12.8%

Picked this up from a local Alberton's.

I was not disappointed by this beer because it was exactly as I expected. The appeareance and smell were average, nothing bad. The taste was exactly as the can says, steel. Metallic taste with a lot of malt. This would be a beer I drank in high school to get drunk quickly, but now that I my taste buds have matured I would pass on having it again.

3.3/5  rDev +40.4%

Bought it in a 24oz can from the neighborhood liquor store. The paper bag made all the difference. It really suited the whole feel of the beer.

Had a pretty good taste, not too much hops but it was still good as the malty flavor took over.

Very full and rich beer. Smooth, just rolls down your throat. Makes you feel like you're in a field of barley during the summer.

Very drinkable beer.

Many people give malt liquor, especially this brand, a bad name, but in terms of drinkability, most beers won't go down as smooth as this one. You can't knock it until you've tried it.

2.25/5  rDev -4.3%

I like most malt liquor, and from time to time I like a high gravity beer, but I have never been a big fan of Steel Reserve. It smells like metal, tastes like metal, and when you are finished drinking it, it makes you feel like you've been hit in the head with something metal.

It has a decent mouthfeel and buzz factor, but I would not recommend this to many people.

2.05/5  rDev -12.8%

24oz can to standard pint, pours a darker golden hue, foamy white head fades

smells of malts, corn, slight slight hops

taste is of malt liquor goodness, heavy adjuncts, malts are in there somewhere, sugar, sugar, sugar, only guessing how the abv got up there.. alcohol heat, astringent, not the easiest to drink, but after you get into one it destroys taste buds enough to make the second easier to get down.

mouthfeel is bruising, light weight, good carbonation, not my favorite malt liquor but available and cheap.

3.3/5  rDev +40.4%

Appearance: Celebrating review 570 with something special. 24 oz can straight from my freezer for optimal temperature, i.e. near freezing. Pours a crystal clear pale yellow, not much color for an 8% beer. Head retention is surprisingly decent, rising to fair height and retaining for a few minutes.

Smell: Not much aroma. A bit of malty sweetness I guess, but there's nothing beyond that.

Taste & mouthfeel: Pleasantly crisp and light with a moderate malt/adjunct sweetness. Fairly clean for a malt liquor, there's a hint of cooked corn, but it's faint. No real noticeable alcohol, at colder temperatures at least; I've got no desire to try this warm. Overall, this doesn't really have much flavor, bad or good. The finish is clean - no bittering hops as far as I can tell, nor any strong residual sugars. Not a bad little brew for 99 cents, I can understand why it's favored by drunks and the homeless. For half the price of your average micro six pack you can do some serious liver damage.

3.4/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

We resume the Brown Paper Bag Invitational tonight with the "other" silver bullet...Steel Reserve 211...slow brewed with lots of alcohol, sounds like fun. On to the beer:

There's some color to this brew...sparkiling sunlight yellow, the head is layered on top with a good thcikness and mass. Solid eye-candy. The nose is low on power, but nothing nasty or obscene...milled corn and little else. No alcohol in the aroma, but I have a feeling that will change as I taste it.

Oh yes, I can taste the booze in this one. It's felt, but it's melded in with the overall flavor pretty well (for what it is). No funky off-flavors, no involuntary gagging...this is a good sign. Initially sweet, that gets balanced out by the alcohol with a sharp bitterness that briefly dulls the palate. Slight bublegum flavor from the alcohol. The alcohol never gets clumsy or produce that burning feel. For good measure, the flavors are clean, so you can start the sipping process again in no time.

I have to be honest, this isn't bad at all. It's boozy, but has a solid balance working in favor of the beer. Just remember what you're drinking and you'll be all set.

With half of the Brown Paper Bag Invitation complete, we resume tomorrow with another malt liquor.

3.15/5  rDev +34%

Pours a nice 3/4 inch head with a pale orange/yellow color.

Smell is of cereal grain and a little bit of corn. Not much can be expected from the style.

Clean pale malts and cereal grain come through with a corn flavored aftertaste. The pale malts are ok, but the astringency of the alcohol with no balance gets to me. I know that it's "of the style" but this is not the style that I would choose very often for a good beer.

Mouthfeel is decently crisp and refreshing. The overly boozy quality of this beer is a little but too much. I could use some balance.

3.03/5  rDev +28.9%

Ok a cheep friday nite. A buck to a buck & a half a can at 8%+ abv. ya, lets go.

I was taken at pour as the golden lagar made a fair looking white head. Lace so so.

The aroma, average mass lager in a can.

Taste was indeed fair. malts, alcohol balanced by sweet corn.

Mouthfeel was smooth, just a hint of metal.

Drinkability, ya. Much easier and pleasing than other malt lagers. Alcohol did the job on this medium-full bodied brew. Much easier drink than say A.B. High gravity.
If I have to...I'll buy it again.

Gold colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is corn and alcohol.Taste is burning alcohol and a pretty bitter finish.This is the text book definition of a cheap heavy buzz.As a session beer pretty poor,as a way to get drunk quickly this is your brew!!

2.45/5  rDev +4.3%

In a rather sad but brief, thankfully, period in my life I drank this all the time. It was the hellish year I spent in GA and my wife and I seperated for a few months. I used to buy 12-packs of this for $6 almost everynight. I can recall the pale gold body with a dieing head before it even became a head. The smell never bothered me since instead of that cheap adjunct smell is was an aroma of light hops (and metal). While the taste wasn't much to speak of, some veggies and minor malt sweetness for a second, drinking it very cold made the beer go down real smooth and didn't nuke my tastebuds or anything. But I don't plan on drinking this again, ever.

2.42/5  rDev +3%

24 oz. can,

A: Pours yellow with a surprisingly long lasting head for an adjunct lager, no lacing.

S: Smell is quite nasty, skunky corn, fusel alcohol and gasoline.

T: Big boozy fusely taste, but not that hard to drink, relatively clean going down, light corn notes as well, no discernable hops.

M: Watery, solventy, full of booze.

D: Not a bad malt liquor, a good choice for a high alcohol beer on the cheap.

2.63/5  rDev +11.9%

I love beer advocate. It lets you know when you've spent too much on a crappy beer. I'm a beer drinker but have no idea of half of these so called " Great beers" are. I cant drink the traditional "Bud, Corona, blah blah" I drink them and i feel bloated and have a headache. But 211 always does the job. Quick and efficient. I can admit that when i drink steel i hold my nose while im gulping (all i taste is seltzer water, by the way i dont hold my nose with my fingers) and 2 or three cans later im good. I drank 14 icehouse one night and was buzzed with a horrible headache. Drank 8 samuel adams and felt like i got robbed.(17$ a 12 pack, I couldve went to a bar!) But 4 12oz 211's and i was good. If you want to drink beer and feel bloated and have a headache, then fine. But its like going somewhere, you can take the long "toll roads" or you can pay somebody a dollar and he'll "show you the shortcuts" Right on 211, id rather drink 96 ounces of ass, than 140 ounces of " Premium Beer" anyday.

2.13/5  rDev -9.4%

From a gigantic 24 oz. can

Pours a crystal clear, extremely pale golden color with a one inch foamy bright white head. Terrible retention and no lacing.

Aroma is not too exciting. Some sweet pale malts and really nothing more. Reminds me very much of coors light.

The taste is really not so good. Pale malt, kind of rice like and slightly sweet. No discernable hop profile. Just bland.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery with tons of crisp carbonation. The carbonation is probably the best aspect of this beer.

Drinkability is low. This is pretty horrible. Lacks flavor, aroma, body. Worth a buck for the "experience" but once is plenty.

1.4/5  rDev -40.4%

Goo! What is this?! I have bought Steel Reserve on different occasions for two reasons:
1: A 4-pack is cheap, and it ties off a nice buzz at the end
2: To prove to myself and my friends that I am crazy enough to cruise through 4 without hesitation
Honestly, I am not sure who drinks this beer and swears by it, but I know that I wouldnt associate with that person

And after reading the person's review below me: pennies in water is the EXACT taste, thank you for clarifying

1.53/5  rDev -34.9%

Malt Likuah. Pours a traditionally macro lemony yellow color, but does very with a slight haze. Need help with the pour but did leaves some bigger bubbles mixed with some softer ones. Not much on retention and no lacing to speak of.

The nose was not surprisingly skunky (clear bottle?). Hard to get past that, but some generic grain notes. Some people I shared this with (not drinking a whole one by myself), got some metallic but I didn't pick it out. Clean yeast.

The taste was very limited. Some grainy notes mixed with some distinct corn flavors. The sulfur come out but not as bad as the nose indicates. There is some not quite sweetness, but more of a residual taste that leaves a subtle chalky flavor. There is an odd fusel note that I would say is alcohol, but more of a off yeast flavor. Really off setting and as it warms because more noticeable.

Body is moderate and for volume is rather smooth. Even for style we have a lot of off notes here that just don't fit.

1.23/5  rDev -47.7%

Looks good. Staw yellow color. Nice thick white head. Lots of carbonation. Looks good for a mass produced beer.

Smell is of danky puke, corn, and spicy alcohol.

Taste is bitter alochol, corn, and some hops. Horible to me.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily. I do not even want to take another sip to review it's drinkibility.

Sometimes I enjoy a MGD, or BUD...or such...
This I would never want to try agan.

Awful!

2.53/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a medium straw with active carbonation climbing the glass. Thick head sticks around and leaves heavy lace all around the glass. Looks good.

Aroma is of metallic grain. Copper and blood. Corn syrup and sugar.

Flavor is of sweet corn syrup. grains are sweet and the DMS overpowers everything. Adjuncts rule with cloying sweetness. A harsh booze bite on the end. Damn near undrinkable as it warms. Metal and oversteeped grain. Cloyingly sweet. The flavor is not the worst it can be given the ABV and how it was born. I'm getting more grain and a caramel flavor later.

Mouthfeel is thin and dry, which is strange given the cloying sweet taste.

1.18/5  rDev -49.8%

Actually paid two bucks for this stuff!
For getting a big buzz on the cheap (if your stomach can stand it) get some Steel Reserve! To describe the taste as objectively as possible, I would say that it is reminiscent of castor oil and liniment. The texture of the beer in the mouth is as of used motor oil, greasy and clammy. Embalming fluid probably has less alcohol than this stuff! Not for the faint of heart, this stuff.

1.27/5  rDev -46%

I picked this up as a joke recently and had my friends laughing hysterically because I was taking notes.

Silver 24 oz tallboy can with the message, "Extra Malted Barley and Select Hops for Extra Gravity" and "Slow brewed for exceptional smooth flavor." We shall see about that. Also had written on it, "8.1% ABV."

Poured into my mug a golden tan body, so we are off to a pretty good start. But then the head disappeared very quickly.

Scent was lemony mixed with medicine and a chemical smell that I can't quite put my finger on. It sort of reminded me of the lemon scented dishwasher detergent under my sink.

A vaguely creamy mouthfeel that starts out ok but then the taste hits and it tastes just like it smells. The mouthfeel then becomes this thick, creamy, lemony, chemical that overpowers. Harsh aftertaste, sort of like Milwaukee's Best but with the corn turned up to 11 and intentionally excessive amounts of alcohol.

Im getting a buzz after only 5 or has it been 6 sips. I pour a little more into my mug. This is so revolting to me that I am going to have to resort to chugging to get the pain and suffering over with. I was going to review more beers today but after the Steel Reserve and its cough syrupy character my tastebuds are annihilated.

I want to appologize for bashing this beer. It had been probably 8 years since I last drank this stuff and I was thinking that since my taste in beer has matured over the years I would now be able to appreciate even this beer as long as I kept the style in mind. I do like strong beers, Double Bocks, Smoked Porters, and Barleywines, but this didn't work for me; I'm just not into this style anymore. This beer brought to mind times long gone by of when I sat with my crusty punk friends in old dilapitated houses drinking this or Camo or Magnum and being very disrespectful to beer. This is why I didn't like beer until I was 25, because this was all I was ever exposed to. I even had a hangover the following day, and I only get those on New Years and the day after my birthday. Beer almost never gives me a hangover and to get one from just one 24oz can.

1.48/5  rDev -37%

I tried this "beer" after seeing someone I know pouring these down like water. So I figured I should at least try one. I did and was not very impressed by the taste, mouthfeel or color. It tastes to me like someone stopped the brewing process before it was finished and decided that it was enough. Somewhat watery and not very satisfying. I believe they were just after a low cost high alcohol brew. They did achieve that.
I would not recommend this beer as even any Malt Liquor that I have tried surpassed this brew.
Some people obviously like this stuff, but I will pass on this one. There are so many good beers in this world, so why waste time on the beers like this one.

1.25/5  rDev -46.8%

This is a one of a kind beer. The color was a dull golden. The smell was skunky. I got it from a 24 oz can. The taste was malty and tasted like alcohol. The mouthfeel was thick and syurpy. I was not a big fan, I prefer a colt 45 if I want malt liquor.

1.48/5  rDev -37%

I've had a few of these out of the 12 ounce bottle a couple of years ago at my uncle's house. I remembered that they were rather decent and that I got one heck of a quick buzz going. Tonight I wasy a 24 ounce silver can at my grocer's freezer for a buck so why not pick one up (I considered picking up more than one, but they aren't going anywhere so why waste the money) I said to myself. Pours a dirty yellow, light copper color with a frothy head that soon dwindles down. no lacing and minimal carbonation which I assume is due to a high alcohol content. I take a wiff and bam it hits me this is malt liquor in disguise, packaged as a strong lager. Well now I know that what has to be done is to start swillin' quickly and forget about it. Bad on the palate, and the flavor is typical of malt liquor. Overall this is not a good beer in any sense, and I suggest you walk on home boy.

2.98/5  rDev +26.8%

While I don't have a lot of experience with malt liquors, I'd have to say this surprised me. For having an 8.1% alcohol by volume rating I was surprised at how subtle it was. Unlike a lot of Ice brewed beers I've tried that have tasted thin and metallic, this beer had more flavor and heartiness to it. The smell was what threw me off as it reeks of high alcohol content. Overall I wouldn't drink this beer often, but it's not a beer I would refuse to drink.

2.93/5  rDev +24.7%

Nose:
Mild sweet-smelling malt aromas with some fruit (creamy like banana, but brighter like apricot or pear).

Look:
Pale-medium gold color, good clarity, moderate head with poor retention.

Flavor:
Sticky malt character comes right out, then I find a subtly teasing alcohol heat that reminds me of a cocktail. Sweet alcohol in mid-palate and finish. Toasty malt, dry demeanor. Hint of hop mostly through tartness.

Feel:
Medium-to-medium-thick body. Mild carbonation. Alcohol dryness.

The Verdict:
There's a good bit of malt and hop flavor here for a beer that's designed to be alcoholic first and drinkable second (I assume... why else would people buy it?). It's not bad when it's cool, as it warms it gets increasingly hard to stomach. For a malt liquor, I expected much, much worse.

The can looks awesome. Kudos to he who designed the label - truly first class. I'd buy anything that looks this aesthetic at least once.

1.4/5  rDev -40.4%

You only drink this malt liqour to do one thing get messed up really quick. Great when you want a good buzz without alot of cash. It does taste horrible though, but I have to admit I like the STEEL once in a while. Used to be a staple when I wanted a quick buzz in college. Now it's rather disgusting.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company