Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
1.88/5  rDev -20.3%

This beer poured a light golden color with minimal head and lacing. The appearance of the beer was probably it's best quality. The smell was not impressive; heavily of malt and alcohol. The taste is not very good, and the high alcohol overpowers everything. Leaves the mouth feeling like you were drinking whiskey, and overall is not a drinkable beer due to the high alcohol and total lack of hop character. Only drink if desperate.

gmfessen, Aug 19, 2006
2.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Well... it wasn't supposed to be like this. My original plan was an Arrogant Bastard and a six pack of Blue Heron, but as I was at the checkout stand feeling like a badass because the guy behind me was getting a case of Busch Light, I realized I gave my debit card to my girlfriend and have no cash on me. So... here I am, after searching couch cushions, I managed to find the 1.34, to get me this... Steel Reserve... Since I'm on this site religiously, I figured, fuck it, I'm giving it a review. Wooo!!!!

A: Light yellow, tons and tons of bubbles. 1/2in (if that) white head, disapates very quickly, slight bit of lacing.

S: Definatly not intended to be smelled, grainy, sweet, alcohol... smells like what it is.

T: Very, very sweet, reminds me of when I was a little kid and put tons of sugar packets in my water when I was at a restaurant. Well instead of water, picture adding a ton of sugar to cheap vodka. Midtaste alcohol is very noticable, aftertaste is sweet... really goddamn sweet. The can mentions EXTRA (in big bold caps) malted barley & select hops... where the hell are the hops? I really could use just a bit of bitterness to help calm down the sweetness. I've currently finished half the can and can already feel the buzz... I'm starting to not mind the sickly sweet taste of the beer. In fact the more I drink, the more I like it. Afterwards I think I'm going to go chew on a grapefruit rind.

M: The can says "exceptionally smooth flavor" and well, it's right It's pretty damn smooth and not highly carbonated. I'd give it a 3.5 for mouthfeel, but the burn of the alcohol on the way to my tummy angers me... so it gets a three. Take that Steel Brewing Company!!!

D: So it's not the best tasting thing in the world, but it accompishs (fuck it I'm not going to spell check) it's task of getting me drunk. In fact, I even wish I had another, though that might be overkill, and I'd awake sitting in the chair at the computer without acually hitting the review button staring at the cans of 211 wondering... what the...? Woo!!!!

MLegendre, Aug 16, 2006
1.4/5  rDev -40.7%

So you are down to your last few dollars, have a motel room and a girl who would be willing if she were..'convinced'. Steel Reserve High Gravity Lager to the Rescue. Don't drink this shit unless you are nearly broke and need a quick buzz. Poured into a red s.o.l.o. party cup, as it isn't worth the effort of washing glasses later on. Head: Looks to be the sort of color consistency one would find when buying a chocolate shake at mcdonalds where the chocolate syrup isn't mixed into the vanilla ice cream well. Smells like a wino. Tastes like my alcoholic ex-girlfriend's mouth first thing in the morning after 10 straight booze-soaked hours. Mouthfeel: The alcohol/poison numbed my senses and I really couldn't feel anything. Drinkability: When your bonfire/pig-roast is out of budweiser's and granpa's supply 'o' moonshine is running low, steel reserve is a reasonable option. Just be careful. Some nimrod is gonna think he can handle as many of these as he can of michelob light only to discover the gravitational properties of the magical porcelain water vortex.

sevenredrabbits, Aug 13, 2006

The head is light and falls away fast going and never returning. The color is light and gold.

The smell is sweet and a little like beer, malt liquor I guess.

The taste is almost pleasant without any bitterness.

Mouthfeel is ok, not much there.

Overall I will never have this ever again...the lack of bitterness gives me a stomach ache.

Erdinger2003, Jul 24, 2006
2.08/5  rDev -11.9%

A - Straw to gold in color with a monsterous (six fingers plus if unfettered) foamy head that lasts about one minute. Small amount of lacing. Intense carbonation is visible throughout.

S - Much better than expected. It has a surprising pleasant floral aroma with some cloves and musty grain. Well the musty grain isn't pleasant, but it isn't really that dominant.

T - Strong corn flavor with some oppressive cloying sugary flavor and very musty grain. The aftertaste is a thoroughly unpleasant stale, sugary, gumball-like flavor accompanied by musty, moldy grain flavors. Honestly, it's not as terrible a taste as I would expect from a beer that boasts of an increased gravity as opposed to having any concern with flavor. It is still really bad though.

M - Very thin, harsh, too highly carbonated, not really refreshing either. Not a single plus here, except that it could be parching.

D - What do you expect? This is a beer designed to get you drunk. That is it's very purpose and reason to exist. The flavor is not supposed to matter. Still, compared to other malt liquors, this doesn't seem so bad. I'd go with the can though, I am sure this would be unbearable were it to come from a clear bottle. Who knows? I might have this again if I am drinking objectively.

mrasskicktastic, Jul 14, 2006
1.73/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Poured deep yellow, with a rich frothy head, which dissapated quickly.

S - Smell was of alcohol/malt.

T - Taste was conquered by the alcohol, as if they had taken a bottle of cheap vodka and mixed it with water, and thrown some slight malt grains in. No balance-what-so-ever. Awful taste.

M - Moutfeel was stingy and waxy on the palate.

D - Drinkability is low, due to the putrid taste.

I find it hard to believe that I actually drank a few of these back in the day. Hard liquor in a can, and the only thing this beer has going for it, is that it's low priced for high abv. Be careful as your stomach and liver may not be able to handle these.

HoustonTX, Jul 06, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +67.4%

Chill hazed urine yellow with a quickly dissipated white head but nice active carbonation. Decent malt aroma and flavor with just a touch of adjuncts. Nicely balanced; no hops really noticeable but it is certianly not sweet considering the ABV. Medium-full bodied and fairly clean for the style.

A costly example of the style but worth it in comparison.

Can States: "Fort Worth" & "Extra Malted Barley and Select Hops For Extra Gravity" & "Slow Brewed For a Minimum of 28 Days"

($1.49 / 24 oz. tall aluminum can)

RBorsato, Jul 06, 2006
2.65/5  rDev +12.3%

This was a total "shot in the dark". I had NO idea what to expect from this beer. I had my doubts of high quality, but i thought it might be worth the 99 cents it cost me...

Poured a clear light gold color, good clear white head at first, disapeared within a couple of minutes. Plenty of carbonation. Light body.

smells of sweetish malt(malt liqour), slight hop, grains and wheat

Taste starts off with a good amount of malt flavor, not much hop, and little flavor after a short time. Malt sweetness and grains/wheat combo dominates.

Very light on the palate, easy to drink despite it's 8.1 ABV!! I just get VERY bored with 'malt liquors', the taste seems to gradually get weaker the more you drink.

This was acceptable for 99 cents though.

GratefulBeerGuy, Jul 04, 2006
2.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured American Lager yellow with a nice half finger head that melted very quickly to nothing although decent carbonation continued in the glass fairly aggressively.
Aroma is sweet malt and nothing nothing offensive, although nothing complex.
Taste is initially sweet malts followed with a cloying corn sweetness.
Alcohol isn't noticeable in the taste to me.
Aftertaste continues with a corn sweetness I find displeasing, however for an American malt liquor this is one of the best I've tried.
Mouthfeel is sticky from the sugars but sharp from the adequate carbonation.

IntriqKen, Jul 01, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +94.9%

This is a definate comparison to other malt liquors (as I've had the misfortune of having many). With that in mind, I believe this to be the king of all domestic, inexpensive, malt liquors. The look and smell are fairly average, as one would expect nothing more than straw yellow and a sour, bready smell. It is where the taste and mouthfeel come into play that brings this above the King Cobra's and Shlitz's. At 8.1% ABV, this thing is packed full of malt. So instead of having the watery, grainy taste of the other malt liquors, this has some *oomph* to it.

After a few swigs the feel of the alcohol goes away completely and all one tastes is the sour apple sweet malt. At $1.29, this runs about average to other ML's in the area, but with it's much better than average taste and definite higher alcohol, it gets the job done in a much more palatable way than good 'ole Old English 800 or King Cobra.

uncggop06, Jun 14, 2006
2.08/5  rDev -11.9%

Appears a bit more golden than the typical malt with white nicely formed head dwindles down to leave behind specks of even lacing.
Aroma contains alcohol, mild citrus , malty layers of 2 row malt with corn and rice adjunct sweetness a nice mix for a high grav malt liquor. Taste is very alcoholic sweetness with creamy textured tones of malt corn and rice very tasty even after a full flight of tasting malt liquors. Mouthfeel is medium-light bodied slightly sticky with candy coated layers of malts. Drinkability...something I would definitely return to in a bind not something I'm a huge fan of on the regular.

WVbeergeek, Jun 02, 2006
2.33/5  rDev -1.3%

poured from can into pint glass
dull straw yellow - fizzy head disappeared in a flash. sickly lacing slid down the sides of the glass and was no more.
strange faint smell of cafeteria corn that has been steamed too long, under malt.
apple juice gone rancid as hops weakly struggle and die with tinny aluminum finish. alchohol slightly noticable with syrupy sweet finish that made me flinch.
thin prickly mouthfeel pretends to develop toward medium body before sputtering out.

"bang for your buck" affair. cheapness is only redeeming quality. terrible but has a high abv percentage.

villainchiwwin, May 27, 2006
2.1/5  rDev -11%

This is not a stellar alcohol choice. Thin foam that you could maybe call a head, disipated witin 20 seconds. No lacing to speak of. Alcohol and rice are prevalent in the taste, a little hop and a lot of alcohol in the smell. (Think frat lounge.) Watery, low viscosity gives it a decent mouthfeel but all that is ruined by the awful taste it leaves behind. I would have rated it lower but I think that it is right on for the American Malt Liquor category. Drinkable if you are planning to get drunk, and the $4.50 price tag for a twelve pack @ 6.0%ABV makes it a frat boy's dream.

wke4estguy, May 23, 2006
3.4/5  rDev +44.1%

Let's cut to the chase, if you are looking for an inexpensive buzz this is it. Cheap, (really cheap.. I just paid under $7 for a twelve pk).. does not taste like rotten sweet potatoes and will definitely give you a two beer buzz with over twice the punch of bud or miller lite. But if you normally have to drink 8 + beers to feel good I would say, be careful, I can predict a really bad morning after on more than 4 of these.

fishlegs, May 15, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +60.2%

Nice thick head for a while, but I messed it up so what are you gonna do. A pale orange similar to helles lager. Strong corn smell. This is husky, dawg. The taste though... what a taste! It's hard to give "american malt liquor" a flavor but this is what I get.. except this is done especially well. I get kind of a vanilla aftertaste after a strong corn syrup body. I also notice cloves and some banana flavoring. The first malt liquor hefe? NAW dawg. A little syrupy in the mouth, but I'll be damned if I couldn't drink this all day, everyday. Maybe I do. This thing isn't too sweet. It is definitely a different beast.

jwff, May 14, 2006
2.6/5  rDev +10.2%

The beer was poured from the can into a pub glass. This beer was served very cold. The beer was purchased at Krogers for $0.99.

Appearance: Nearing on a golden yellow coloration. The beer has a off white fluffy head. There is no staying power on the head. No lacing is noted on the glass.

Smell: The beer is pretty one dimensional with corny sweet grain smell.

Taste: Surprise! The beer definately has a cooked corn grain taste. The beer has an ok spicy alcohol taste. The beer has a brief hop burst. The beer has a clean finish.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is medium bodied with a clean finish. T'he carbonation makes this beer more drinkable. Strangely enough this is one very easy drinking beer. I wouldnt classify this as a beer treat by any measure. This is definately a beer I will repeat for cheap beer drinks.

nlmartin, May 09, 2006
2.38/5  rDev +0.8%

Well I finally broke down and bought this for $1.99. Pours a light gold color. Smells sickly sweet but not overpowering. Taste is like fermented corn syrup, slightly grainy but mostly just corn syrup. Mouthfeel is whatever. Drinkability? Well better than the cherry wheat a while ago. It's good for a buzz, but for overall enjoyability, you can do better.

Manosbeeroffate, Apr 18, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +58.1%

Gotta love the malt liquor. I'm going straight from the 12 oz. can, just like when I was in high school. Whoops, that was probably bad to say, but the 211 is over halfway gone, and I'm feeling it.

The appearance is, upon pouring some into a glass, decent. It looks like most other American Malts: yellow, bubbly, and with a dissapearing head. The head sticks around a little more than the average malt liquor, which I see as being Mickeys. So 211 earns it's 3.5.

The taste is pretty dang good. No, it's not a well-aged Oaked Bastard. It's a malt liquor, and it well overwhelms the competition. This is the perfect beer for hanging out, talking shit, and (in my case) playing a few tunes with your friends. Slightly sweet, somewhat alchoholic, a good bit of Squirt in the flavor. A little bit of cornbread flavor. Makes me want to listen to Pantera.

Mouthfeel is the lacking aspect of this malt. It overwhelms my pallate for quite some time, due to the stickiness of the beer. It just won't go away without drinking some water. The 211 goes down smooth enough, but afterwards feels gooey.

Highly drinkable, refreshing, good beer. No, it's not what a "sophisticated" pallate wants. I would not compare this to any "good" beer, but that's the point. Prole beer for cheep bastards. Wonderful!

thinkfull, Apr 06, 2006
3.28/5  rDev +39%

I picked up a can of this stuff while traveling through VA, mainly because for some reason it's not available in NC and I wanted to review it. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It poured a light amber color with a half inch head that went away quickly. Aroma was sweet and malty with just a hint of corn/vegetable in the nose. Taste was fruity sweet, citrusy and lemony with a light hop bitterness. I could also taste a slight grainy taste in the finish. Alcohol was noticeable but not too strong. This was a medium bodied beer and had a lot more flavor than any malt liquor I have ever had. Not a bad deal for a $1.00 24 oz can.

rodrot, Apr 02, 2006

Another competitor in our Malt Liquorpalooza 2006 competition. This one beat out Lucky Number 7 11 in the first round but then faced off with Olde English and went down in a unanimous vote. Mostly the take home message with Steel reserve is that you're gonna get punched in the face with beer and its not going to feel good but its gonna knock you out. Too sweet and corny for me. definitely feel the alcohol diffusing into my mouth and tongue. a lot of bang for your buck but not a tasty treat.

aforbes10, Mar 13, 2006
2.45/5  rDev +3.8%

The can says extra malted barley and select hops for extra gravity. Pours a pale yellow with a thick white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Smell is a bit fruity. Lots of adjunct in the taste, some alcohol too. Thankfully not painfully sweet in the aftertaste, kind of dry actually. Pretty drinkable for a malt liquor.

Drew966, Feb 23, 2006
2.33/5  rDev -1.3%

pours out of the 24oz can a dark golden colour with a relatively frothy egg shell white head. lots of lace. fruity and grainy in the nose...so far so good. pretty sweet stuff here....sugary slickness slides right down my throat. alcohol spiciness hits the tastebuds and then warms the belly. pretty much a high gravity buzz maker that is intended to get to the point quickly and cheaply. smooth mouthfeel on top of a big slick mouthfeel makes this poundable, but i think i'd only want one. there are better malt liquors out there.

budgood1, Feb 17, 2006
2.35/5  rDev -0.4%

40oz bottle. About once a month I pick up something like this to keep it real.

Respectable ivory white fizz head supported by layer after layer of big bubblged carbonation. Lacing? Yep.

Corn, cooked vegetable type aroma's. Taste is similair although the cutting carbonation is welcomed and crispens up a rather adjunct brew. Sweet corn is predominent but its drinkable and the abv% is respectable to make this worth someones time.

It is what it is, a damn fine malt liquor. Probably the most drinkable I've had to date, even as it got warm I didn't get that schwill spit laden crap like some other malts.

DogFood11, Feb 13, 2006
1.53/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My friends would buy this last year so I would snag one once in a while. At one point I started to enjoy it's bite.

I poured one of these into a glass last time - that was an awful idea lol. No one will do that anyway with Malt Liqour so I'll just put down in the can review (malt liqour has carbonation for a reason.)

Appearance is a golden color. Head goes away INSTANTLY. I was terrified after this. (that's the glass part.) Smell is just unpleasant - not terrible but not good at all. Taste is a corn sweet and bitter thing going on. The quicker you drink it the better flavor. It is a bit tasty. You have to be with friends to enjoy it really. It's fun. The mouthfeel is slimy and thick. That's kinda gross. Drinkability is definitley poor because the carbonation is so filling it really sits on your stomach well. It may have something to do with the 'high gravity.'

CaskofFlyingDog, Feb 06, 2006
2.88/5  rDev +22%

I started drinking 211 because the wife bitched about how may beers i drank. I figured, well the higher the proof, the fewer would be necessary. I guess I have gotten used to it but this tastes better than bud and miller to me now. And for a man who prefers barleywines, this is a session beer. The head disappears almost immediately, leaving little lacing as it goes down. I usually drink my beer out of a straight sided pint glass I store in the freezer. What can I say, its cheap, not all that disgusting and it does the job.

barleyman