Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
2.63/5  rDev +11.9%

A: One shade darker than golden. Minimal white head with no lacing. Better than most malt liquors.

S: Pure corn. Not good.

T: Very sweet. Corn again. Not good.

M: Med body. Super light. Damn this is dry.

D: After a bunch of beers not that bad. Nothing I would seek out though.

1.31/5  rDev -44.3%

This stuff is really cheap and obviously has some kind consumer market. This golden colored jewel has a beautifull white head for about a second. The smell is hard to take. Bitter, stale and harsh. The taste is not much better. A thick syrupy body with lots of carbonation makes this pretty rough. Not advised.

2.86/5  rDev +21.7%

I dont do many malt liquors, but if I had to (or wanted to), I'd be reaching for this one first and foremost....

This hi strength brew pours a nice copper hued gold color. It has a massive head which seemed to stick around longer than i'd figured it would...not bad

The smell is very sweet: malts, and a lot of alcohol. Not very inviting.

The taste is actually pretty nice. Lots of malt, maybe a hint of a hop, and lots of alcohol. Everything balances out fairly nicely when its ice cold.

The mouthfeel is pretty thick for the style. Its almost thick enough to chew on.

Drinkability is just average...because of its high alcohol content (8.1%), it will only take a few cans to floor you...I know it did me.

All in all, for the style, this is pretty good. When I need a high strength brew, the reserve is my choice!

Prost!

This is deep gold with a thin white head thinning quickly to a cloudy ring.

The aroma is winey with sweet fruit and meat, somewhat similar to some blond doppelbocks and less rich wee heavies I've had.

The taste is similar, very alcoholic and winey, a bit sweet, malty, and meaty. It's strong and a tad harsh but has definite, full, musky, fruity flavours with a hint of sweet grain. It's somewhat interesting, and has a sweet, pungent alcoholic quality, bite, and warmth. It has medium body and a slightly thick, oily palate.

2.58/5  rDev +9.8%

I bought based on nothing else but price. It was cheap, $1.00 for a 24 oz. can. Always interested in finding a decent inexpensive beer. So my expectations were low and the beer actually did better than my expectations, but not by much. In other words while it was not very good, it wasn't terrible either.

Poured a clear golden yellow with a decent head. Had a clean aroma with slight wiffs of graininess/grassiness. Nothing offensive al all.
Taste has some malty grain along with alcohol taste that comes through. It was cold and the taste was pretty much comparable to several of the macro american lagers, meaning serve it cold on a hot day and actually can hit the spot.

But not as

2.78/5  rDev +18.3%

This one is only to be purchased in cans. The clear glass bottles quickly destroy it's few tasteful attributes. As others have stated I've had pretty good ones and pretty bad ones, probably directly related to how old it is. I've had a few that I could actually taste hops in but they are very rare.

During my years of being a low budget guy I found this to be the most drinkable of malt liquors and I still consume it on a regular basis. It actually makes a nice contrast to thicker quality beers and reminds you of why you spend what you do to get the good stuff.

One trick for improving the taste if you should choose to pour this in a glass is to squeeze in a slice of lime. Makes it more refreshing on a hot summer day

2.62/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured decent into my glass, good head and carbonation. grain aroma with a hint of metalic. bitey taste of grain and carbonation. ok for a thirst quencher and a beer to catch a buzz on. 8.1% abv helps that cuz i would not drink four or six to do it.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.17/5  rDev +34.9%

For such a special event of beer tasting, I pulled out the ol' Nintendo to make sure I had a good time with this fortified malt...

A: light gold with a head that vanishes into a of bubbles by the time you could shove a cartridge in.

S: Malt and alcohol. remember how you thought beer smelled when you were like 3? this is that smell

T: A very simple mid sweetness with a small bitterness that is not exactly great, but its definitely tolerable.

F: Light carbonation and easy to drink

D: In the event I ever wanna get hammered without investing more than a few dollars, this is definitely the drink to accomplish that. But thats really all it is here for. Not so much the enjoyment of a true beer, but simply to get trashed.

*after completing all 8 levels in Super Mario I stand up only to find how hard this baby hits. I wobble, stare for a minute, then promptly sit down, and plug in Super Mario 2

1.39/5  rDev -40.9%

I can't explain why I drank this last night but I needed this to transend a barrier!!!! Had 666 as my review score and couldn't hang with that but this brew truely sucks!!! So I hope you guys don't succumb to the massive hangover Because ./5 is much cheaper, much better, and a lot easier on the body!!!

1.44/5  rDev -38.7%

Got this beauty in a 40 oz for $2. Truly one of the finest beverages I've ever seen, smelt or tasted. Poured a delightful straw color with tons of tiny little bubbles. Thankfully, no head was in view. Nose was an aromatic acidic sweetness and grain. Taste was likewise, although the deliciously biting mouthfeel basically made the taste non-existent. This was so good I even almost finished one.

2.35/5  rDev 0%

Can opens... but the pop is from the pulltab. I expected some report from the CO2. Looking at the can, there's absolutely no way to know how old it is. Poured into a pilsner glass, golden-yellow but I get absolutely no head.. just weak lacing. Carbonation levels are among the lowest I've ever seen.
Smells like homebrew bottling sugar.. .all corn, and I couldn't smell any hops at all. Tastes interesting actually - at first no taste at all, as the carbonation breaks into very fine bubbles. This is followed by a ton of sweet unfermented sugars (corn) at the front of the mouth, yet follows very dry in the mouth and finishes with a light alcohol burn in the mouth. Like Hurricane, this is a half step up for the style. Mouthfeel is thick watery sugar, and while it's not a quality brew it's escapes that cidery burn taste that I usually detect in a shitty American corn beer (I think I'd prefer this to Bud). Drinkability..? Hmm. The style is meant to be drunk from a paper bag, alongside a spliff or blunt -- I have neither. But it's drinkable especially if you remind yourself that afterwards, you can chase with a good pils or Anchor.

3.53/5  rDev +50.2%

The biggest problem with Steel Reserve 211 is inconsistency. The flavors and appearance I note here are for a "good" one. I've found several "bad" ones that were a far cry from what the brewers intended. I don't know if it's the clear glass bottle, or poor quality control, all I know for sure is-occasionally I get one that's awful.

Appearance is deep gold, a bit richer than most mass produced beers. Taste is rich, malty sweetness with just a kiss of hop and an alcohol finish. I rather like its balance. Head is pure white with fine bubbles that dissipates quickly, leaves little lacing. Mouth feel is bit thin for the robust flavors of this brew, but then, for 99 cents a bomber(!) you could do worse.

2.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Served out of a 24oz. into a glass. (Was this a bad idea? If I have a malt liquor it's usually straight from the bottle or can hehe)

Look: Holding the drink up to a light, it looks to be a light gold. A fair amount of carbonation rising up to the surface; after the pour a two finger head dissipated into a thin layer of bubbles.

Smell: Malty and sweet, some alcohol too.

Taste: I can definitely taste the alcohol in this, it seems to hit at the beginning and also at the end. This drink is also somewhat sweet and that rolls in at the middle. Not too bad.

Feel: Light carbonation on the tongue, goes down pretty easy.

Drinkability: I can have something like this every once in a while, but not much more than that.

Overall, I can't really say that I like it a lot but I think that it's definitely above some of the other malt liquors I've had. Not too bad.

edit - I feel my C- might be a little low, so give it a shot if you've never had it. It's really not all that bad and does in a pinch. (for me)

2.66/5  rDev +13.2%

Someone left this in my fridge after a party, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

A- medium-pale yellow with a big fizzy head that fades quickly to nothing. Crystal clear.

Smells like corn and DMS and something industrial, like solvent or something. Not the greatest even in this category.

Taste is very sweet corn and light sweet malt. There's a tinge of sourness to it. Surprisingly flavorful, actually. Not really a great flavor, but it's there nonetheless.

Carbonation is bubbly, pretty drying, and thin. Spot on for style.

I've had better, and I've had worse. Let's just leave it at that.

3.3/5  rDev +40.4%

This is not as bad as many would lead you to believe. If you are a Budweiser drinker than yea it is gonna suck. If you have a more sophisticated beer taste it isn't all that bad.

A - Not much to it, lots of writing on the can and it says "Steel" on it. As a Steelers fan I don't need to know anything else

S - Smells like it tastes, heavy and thick. Noticeable alcohol smell as well

T - You could almost chew it. Thick, heavy, and very much like a malt liquor.

M - Just enough Carbonation for this style. Does have a bit of an after taste that one must get used to.

D - A 24oz can for $.99!?!?! If you can only take one it makes the rest of the night go smooth. I can drink about 2 24ozer's before I need a change.

2.16/5  rDev -8.1%

A - Poured a straw color with a white head

S - Is your typical malt beverage stinky malt and other bad smells

T - Follows the smell pretty typical bad malt taste

M - The carbonation is fairly light in this beverage and it pretty smooth

D - Malt beverages are not my first choice for well anything I'm not a pro at evaluating them but I can say that this one is better than their triple export version

2.47/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a pale straw color with a small head. Smell is adjuncts, slightly sweet. Fairly typical malt liqour/macro aroma. Very light taste. Adjuncts. Dull sweetness. A touch of alcohol. Again pretty typical for the style. Light bodied which is as it should be. Fairly drinkable. Average malt liqour overall.

3.15/5  rDev +34%

I don't know why this beer is so hated here. It isn't exactly a fine Belgian, but it is a fair malt liquor. It is unoffensive, and remakably smooth considering its strength.

Appearance: Beautiful crystal clear, with an OK head that fades pretty quickly.

Smell: A little bit of that husky almost skunky smell of the light/premium lager. There's also a buttery sweetness and perhaps a floral tinge in there.

Taste: A little sweetness balances out a slight bitterness. It isn't overly flavorful, but at the same time, there's nothing really nasty in the flavor. Just kind of plain and grainy with a bit of hops and maybe a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: It's actually pretty full in the mouth, with a bit of dryness in the aftertaste, but I guess it must be the bubbles that keep it real during the taste.

Drinkability: I find this very easy to drink. It is not exactly the most complex beer, but it isn't the ass-tasting drink that I read about beforehand.

1.48/5  rDev -37%

LOL...I had to revisit my high school days when I would scrap some money up and buy a couple 40's of this or some other high octane, low-cost, garbage malt liquor. Very pale color, very well carbonated with not much of a head. Smells of adjuncts and skunk. Tastes of adjuncts and skunk as well with a big alcohol kick. Mouthfeel is watery and very carbonated. Tastes like ass and only good for the broke looking for a buzz.

1.52/5  rDev -35.3%

Oh God this stuff is fuel for debauchery. I don't think anyone can say they really like the taste of it. It tastes like alcohol and ass. But nothing is better for the purpose it's brewed for. It tastes horrible, but it does go down smooth and that's the real point isn't it? I only reserve this stuff for when I'm really desperate to get as drunk as possible very fast. Chugging a 40 right before a concert is a lot of fun. Bye the time you get to the gate you've gone from sober to acting like a blathering idiot faster than should be possible. Be warned, Steel Reserve is for black belt drinkers only. If you're not an experienced drinker you'll never keep an entire 40 down. Chugging a 40 of Steel Reserve is a challenge but the reward is well worth it, and doesn't cost you a lot of money. Liquid crack.

1.33/5  rDev -43.4%

Copped a 40 oz in college and got wasted off two of them... Taste is bordering horrible with a strong alcohol presence that compltely detracts from whatever flavor is present... Appearance is equally poor with an awful aroma and a poor mouthfeel which leads to an atrocious level of drinkability... This beer is good to get wasted on, as the high alcohol percentage and cheap cost allows you to get shit-faced for as inexpensive as possible... really wouldn't drink this even if I was forced to... don't purchase this unless you are border-line broke... even then, don't drink this - drink water or orange juice... The flavor is pretty nauseating and I really wouldn't want to bash this beer anymore, but if its good for anything, its good for getting really intoxicated for as cheap as possible... Really not recommended...

1.6/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I'm about to hammer this beer, but that doesn't mean I don't love it. This sweet baby was so cheap in my dirt poor working through college days, fit so nicely in a jacket pocket while visiting a movie, and has engendered so many good drunken memories it will always have a soft spot in my heart.

It has a rancid sweet taste, smells like alcohol and chemicals, the mouthfeel is strangely sticky yet thin, and it looks like every other yellow macrobrew.

Ah, so many good times, drinking a beer I wouldn't wish upon a penniless nepalese yak herder.

1.44/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

24 ounce can dumped into my Oktoberfest mug. Looks to be a darkish gold color. When I was about 17 years old my friend and I had vodka but no beer. We hated vodka and wanted beer. So we bought O'Doul's and poured vodka into it. It was the most horrible concocktion I've ever had. Well THAT'S what this beer smells like. Crap malty, chemically, alcoholly, muddy, and... Just plain bad. I realize those aren't really words but I think they get my point across well. The taste is only slightly better. This stuff sucks. It's chewy and barely drinkable. But it's cheap and powerful. I'll avoid ever getting this beer again unless I want to feel a buzz and I only have $1.29 in my pocket.

1.95/5  rDev -17%

I told my wife to just pick something at random on the cheap end of the beer cooler. I have been on a kick to try out some of the cheap American lagers outside of the standard BMC. So I would take whatever was coming to me. I have never had this before, I didn't even know what it was. After coming on here I saw it was considered a "malt liquor". This was the first "malt liquor" I have honestly ever had.

There is nothing to this, its got about the most astringent watered down flavor I have ever tried. You can tell the entire idea was to boost ABV and they were to cheap to mask it with any kind of flavor profile. I also noticed a touch of burning sensation going down, which made me look over the can I see the ABV was 8.10%. Atleast it made sense, I was kind of caught off guard with the harshness at first when I thought it was just a cheap American lager.

Anyways, color was a pale, very pale yellow. Possibly boardering clear. Not much head, what was there was a thin layer of white. It had an odd odor to it, hard to place but not pleasent. It tasted of astringent, very harsh, had a burn to it. It was pretty light and watery going down. At such a high ABV and such a harsh flavor profile I would say this is not very drinkable. If you entire point of the evening is to get drunk you might consider this at 5 bucks a 12 pack.

I don't think I will be letting my wife just pick something out again. I will try anything once so I don't regret it, but I had an entire 12 pack of this stuff.

1.57/5  rDev -33.2%

Well, for the majority, this is really just a nasty, high alcohol beer which is completely as cheap as it gets meaning its completely intended for young, partying, poor people trying to get wasted for 5 or 6 bucks. And thats not a bad thing, I had my day in that era also.

So after I'd had several years away from beer such as this, I thought I'd try another one night just to see what it was really like. It used to only be sold in 22 ounce bottles, today Ive found a twelve pack of cans. Actually not as terrible as I thought, but definitly not good. I liked it better than busch light or even bud light, but its not good. It is what it is. And if it gets somebody drunk at a cheap price, then it does serve a purpose.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company