Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
1.9/5  rDev -19.1%

I told my wife to just pick something at random on the cheap end of the beer cooler. I have been on a kick to try out some of the cheap American lagers outside of the standard BMC. So I would take whatever was coming to me. I have never had this before, I didn't even know what it was. After coming on here I saw it was considered a "malt liquor". This was the first "malt liquor" I have honestly ever had.

There is nothing to this, its got about the most astringent watered down flavor I have ever tried. You can tell the entire idea was to boost ABV and they were to cheap to mask it with any kind of flavor profile. I also noticed a touch of burning sensation going down, which made me look over the can I see the ABV was 8.10%. Atleast it made sense, I was kind of caught off guard with the harshness at first when I thought it was just a cheap American lager.

Anyways, color was a pale, very pale yellow. Possibly boardering clear. Not much head, what was there was a thin layer of white. It had an odd odor to it, hard to place but not pleasent. It tasted of astringent, very harsh, had a burn to it. It was pretty light and watery going down. At such a high ABV and such a harsh flavor profile I would say this is not very drinkable. If you entire point of the evening is to get drunk you might consider this at 5 bucks a 12 pack.

I don't think I will be letting my wife just pick something out again. I will try anything once so I don't regret it, but I had an entire 12 pack of this stuff.

1.55/5  rDev -34%

Well, for the majority, this is really just a nasty, high alcohol beer which is completely as cheap as it gets meaning its completely intended for young, partying, poor people trying to get wasted for 5 or 6 bucks. And thats not a bad thing, I had my day in that era also.

So after I'd had several years away from beer such as this, I thought I'd try another one night just to see what it was really like. It used to only be sold in 22 ounce bottles, today Ive found a twelve pack of cans. Actually not as terrible as I thought, but definitly not good. I liked it better than busch light or even bud light, but its not good. It is what it is. And if it gets somebody drunk at a cheap price, then it does serve a purpose.

2.4/5  rDev +2.1%

got this from my brother-in law made a beer stop traveling through WV told him to get anything other than and BMC beers this is what he picked out. Been sitting in the fridge for a while taking up space decided to give it a try.
24oz can poured into a pub glass.

Clear,golden yellowy color had a generous white froathy white head,decent retention watched it slowly fizzle down th a slight coating with the slightest amount of carbination bubbles

Very clean aroma with light sweet malt,faintly toasty with a touch of grassiness. Nothing offensive seemed drinkable.

Clean,malty profile,had a dusty/ mineral taste,grainy,some corn,astrigent leaves lots of grainy alcohol tastes,especially the aftertaste.

Had a roughness to it, not smooth like stated on the can. Seemed drinkable when cold the taste diminished as it warmed turned grainy,dry,strong alcohol taste,tart with some sourness. A strong beer more for a buzz than for enjoyment. Drink this one as cold and as fast as you can. Couldn't finish this beer once it got warm.

1.8/5  rDev -23.4%

A while back a buddy and I picked up a case of this wanting to try something different. We got home and each tried one.

The appearance was nothing special, but at the same time not the worst.

The smell was not that great it smelled very strongly of alcohol.

The taste was probably the worst thing about it. It tasted so strongly of alcohol that I found myself just kind of gulping it down to get past the taste.

The mouthfeel was kind of thin feeling.

Overall, I would say this beer will do the trick if you are just looking to get drunk. Which after like just 3 of these I was pretty toasty. However if you are looking for a beer to drink and savor,I would not recommend this.

Also, the day after drinking this I had an especially bad hangover.

3.2/5  rDev +36.2%

Here's the scoop, I can buy a 12 pack of this for $7. It basically taste and looks like your standard American Lagar, but at 6% it holds it flavor _really_ well as it wars up, unlike most American macrobrews. So, if you can find yourself some, and you're beginning to feel the economy of scale (in your consumption), then I suggest you stock up and learn to enjoy. At 55 cents a can, it's a great stand by and it's got a very good drinkability to it.

Touch of honey sweetness, maybe 20 IBU and very little on the nose and not very much to look at, carbonation is tight, keeps a decent tingle on the toune 30 minutes past the pour. This is going to become a regular in my fridge. Reminds me of discovering Shiner Bock back in college when I could buy cases and return the bottles... why did that have to end?

12 ounce can from a liquor store on Colton Avenue in Redlands

Worst beer I have ever had to go along with the worst hangover the next day

Nasty taste and random things floating it, which is unnacceptable because it is not a microbrew

Could not pay me to drink this ever again

If you cannot afford to get anything else or this is the only thing available, this would be the only way I could recommed a beer like this

3.7/5  rDev +57.4%

A 1 pint and 8 onz can ,with a very nice label no freshnnes date.

Appearance is a straw color with a foamy head ,very nice.

Smell malt and alcohol .

Taste very good, spices,malt and some nice sweetness.

Feels very good on the mouth, if i have the chance would go again with this one.

Notes: This is the first malt liquour i have ever taste, very nice flavor.

2.65/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I got the 22 oz bottle (the "deuce") for 99 cents. this beer is strong but its not that bad for cheap malt liquor. The beer of choice if you wanna get drunk on 3 dollars. If you get it ice cold its pretty good but the last 2 inches of beer is pretty bad. The hangover on this stuff is pretty bad also

2.48/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours to a thin white head that reduces to a faint ring around the glass. Color is yellow and clear. Aroma is strong with sweet cereal grains and some banana and cream soda esters. Flavor is huge on sweet corn, alcohol and carbonation bite. Mouthfeel is thick for a yellow beer but kind of "oily". Finishes sweet with a bit of burn and prickle on the tongue. Funky veggie aftertaste builds up over time, especially with fried foods. This is a cheap buzz and will hit the spot, but has some drawbacks.

2.35/5  rDev 0%

This is just colt 45 to tthe next level. This is liquored up beer. The taste isnt good to say the least. The only thing that has going for it is the alcohol. It is evident that there are many ways to get alcohol better than this, The only other bost for this is the price. Yes it's dirt cheap. oz for oz it may be one of the cheapest forms of alcohol available in the beer catagory, but that doesent means it's good. The alcohol taste is overpowering of any beer flavor that may be there.

3.85/5  rDev +63.8%

Pale yellow color with a head that fades. Aroma is not too bad, somewhat fruity for a lager. Can claims that it has extra malted barley and select hops. Hmm. Taste is somewhat interesting. Tastes a lot like an old school lager. You couldn't tell that it's malt liquor due to the taste. It's not harsh either. I would actually rate it higher than many other macro/light lagers that I've had.

2.78/5  rDev +18.3%

A- Appearance was good. It was a little darker yellow and a head that quickly disappered. It didnt have a whole lot of carbonation. Also the lacing was minimal.

S- You could definatly tell it was a malt beer. But not a lot of aroma after that.

T- It actually was pretty smooth. With an alcohol content at 8.1, it really didnt taste bitter. Yes this was 8.1 and not the typical 6.0. It wasnt as bitter as some of the ICE beers I drank that has a bitter flavor.

M- It felt good in the mouth. Not to much carbonation. It felt like any beer would.

D- I dont know if I could drink this all night and live to tell about it. After a couple, I could tell that I had a good buzz. If you wanted to get a buzz in a hurry, this is the beer to get. Ill probably get a Colt 45 next to compare the difference, and let you know.

2.95/5  rDev +25.5%

24oz can poured into pint glass, too much to ask for a freshness date? Answer: Yes.

A: Pours a clear amber, with a creamy white head that has suprisingly good retention, not much lacing though. Darker than most malt liqors I've seen, not too bad, but this beer looses points with me beacuse of that "Premium Malts and Hops" claim printing on the side.

S: Good old creamed corn sweetness like pretty much all the malt liquors out there today.

T/MF:Not much carbonation and pretty creamy a decent mouthfeel makes it go down real easy. Has sort of an off taste from other malt liquors which is pretty nice, I can actually taste some of the malt in this and it's not too bad, the aftertaste is sort of a weird unsalted pop corn taste, strange but still okay.

D: Quite drinkable compared to the rest of the malts out there today, this one would be my first choice every time.

2.25/5  rDev -4.3%

Recently my boss went to Wisconsin on business, while he was there a friend and myself asked for him to pick up some New Glarus for us. Instead he came home with this. He had believed that because the word "reserve" was on the can that it meant it was good. Obviously he is not a beer drinker. Before drinking this I had decided to call my brother who drank every crappy beer under the sun while in college. He told me that he did indeed have it and that as far as 40's go it was ... not good.

Being the daredevil that I am I tried it anyway. Hell, if I can drink a Rauchbier I can drink anything.

It didn't smell as bad as I thought it would but you could smell ... grain? alcohol? All i know is that it didn't smell skunked.

The taste was skanky, and funky. Like a belgian ale about to go bad.

When I poured it in the glass it looked like a good morning pee. It was frothy and dark yellow. The appearnce added to the drinking experience. I felt like I was in Stephen King's book Misery.

The mouthfeel was not as carbonated as I thought it would be, quite plain actually.

All in all it is a malt liquor. I also firmly believe that this beer has laxative properties as my morning after drinking this turned ugly.

1.73/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I see empty cans of this on the street on a regular basis, and it seems to be the brew of choice for the homeless alcoholic. out of sheer curiosity I figured I'd give it a try.

pours a deep straw yellow with a clingy white head. carbonation is active, although not as intense as some German weißbiers. the pour is noticeably viscous.

scent is faintly grits-like, light straw, not really any hops to note or much of anything, just faint cooked cereal notes. some DMS at first pour which dissipates. having just had a nice microbrewed pilsner earlier this evening, it is a bit of a dissapointment. (admittedly I wasn't expecting much.)

flavor is sweet grits, very sweet, almost cloying. this is the weakest point of the beer. it really doesn't have much going on with it. there is no depth at all. miller high life has more dimension to it.

mouthfeel is full, comparable in weight to a dopplebock. whatever nondescript hops are in the beer do eventually cut the cloying tail, making this marginally drinkable. it reminds me a lot of the AB brewmaster's private reserve (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/26900) actually, except without the premium price tag. a little bit of alcohol starts coming out as the beer warms.

it's not the worst thing I've ever drank, but is far from the best. rogue's dad's little helper (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/30424) completely blows this away. I don't think I could finish a 40 of this due to its weightiness and overt sweetness, and even the 24 is kind of pissing me off at this point. but dammit I have to get my $1.75 (deposit included) worth, so down the hatch it goes.

1.08/5  rDev -54%

drank directly from a 40oz. the only way to drink an awful "beer" such as this one

appearance- foamy head that is only a result of the 40 being moved and held. very clear yellowish liquid.

smell- smells like a colt 45 with a shot of vodka in it

tastes- tastes like a colt 45 with a shot of vodka in it. the only good thing about this is that it gets you shattered for 2.00.

drinkability- it's hard not to choke on this awful concoction, let alone drink it casually.

overall, it's only something i drink when i have less than 10 bucks in my wallet and i need to get drunk quick. an essential college beer, but not something i enjoy drinking (i think of it as medicine. doesn't taste good, but you gotta drink it)

1.43/5  rDev -39.1%

Review from horrid memories...

Nasty stuff here.

Looks like a malt liquor, yellow/orange some head, which went away fast and little lacing.

It smells of alcohol and grains, sort of like hog feed with vodka.

It's just nasty, I intentionally drank it ice cold in a frosted mug and it was still nasty.

This is a hard one to drink, a bit of malt sweetness at first but then the alcohol takes over.

Nah, I got more class than this swill, Steel Reserve, meet my sink!

1.9/5  rDev -19.1%

Call this stuff goot ole steely dan, Cheap as dirt , but a man with a plan!

Well I recently got stuck to this stuff just for the simple fact that I have no money , but other then that , It was a way better road to the way of gootness then alot of other mainstream Hess beers.

The appearance is nothing special , standard malt liquor. Simple

Smell oh man , that malted barely smell is nasty, you can smell the 8% in thare!!

Taste isnt so bad after your first brew , mellow's down after awhile and isnt as carbonated as most.

Lemme get down to drinking it , like I was saying after your first you pretty much are going uphill on your cheap steely dan buzz!

Last words.. goot for getting goot!

2.42/5  rDev +3%

Steel Reserve High Gravity lager pours out a rocky head over a clear
yellow brew. It's kind of pretty in a lava-lamp kinda way. Carbonation is
quite aggressive, yet the head collapses quickly. The nose is thin malt
and a bit of sour yeasty-ness. A tiny bit of sweetness up front and a little
bite in the finish- not from the nigh-invisible hop presence but alcohol
burn. There's not much of an aftertaste either- a bit of grain and it doesn't
last long. Still, it's pretty smooth when it's ice-cold, and it's a decent enough
gateway if you're planning a bender. But it's still not good. You should respect
beer- but does this beer respect you? It's 8.1% alcohol by volume, but sure as
hell, this is no Maudite.

2.68/5  rDev +14%

bought for 6.99 a twelve pack at Albertsons. The appearance is pretty standard for a macro malt liquor, maybe a tad bit darker than most. smelled halfway decent for a beer who's main concern is getting young kids drunk. Taste is exceptional for this type of product. I actually enjoy the taste of 211. A lot of people want a good session beer now, and I know that at 8.1%, it hardly falls under that category, but I don't mind throwing a few back. Mouthfeel is pretty standard. crisp, clean unoffensive. Drinkability is great because this is a beer intended to be pounded, not savored. It accomplishes this task quite well

2.98/5  rDev +26.8%

Sampled on 3-14-07
Best before 8-1-07

Appearance is a mystery, as I'm drinking it straight from the can. If I was to pour it, I'm assuming it would be a gold color with lots of carbonation.

Smells terrible, but the small opening in the top of the can helps cut the stink down.

Taste is...well...not that bad. Somewhat malty and grainy, the alcohol flavor reminds you of its purpose.

Mouthfeel is also not bad, good consistency and carbonation.

Drinkabiltiy is good, goes down smooth.

Overall, one of the best alcohol delivery systems available. At $.99 a double 24oz can, it makes me glad I'm in college.

1.8/5  rDev -23.4%

Drinkable, yet terrible. If you want to get drunk fast, this is your stuff!
A - Looks like a beer, but you should taste it before assuming.
S - Holy Crap! This stuff is like an ogres perfume!
T - Ogres Piss with some aluminum, all I can say.
M - If you can keep it in your mouth, it's not so bad. It takes about 2 cans before that.
D - Pretty Drinkable after 1 or 2. Very drinkable if you only have 10 bucks to spend on a 18'er.
Drunkability - +10 - Get'm drunk!

2.17/5  rDev -7.7%

Big old bottle reminded my of my youth when all we cared about was volume and alcohol content. Thiis poured a light yellow with a white head that was gone in seconds and left no lacing. Nose of fermented corn, but it still smells somewhat like it was a chemical. There is a sweet taste but in general it is dominated by the alcohol content. The mouthfeel is thin and highly carbonated. I suppose if it was poured at just above freezing you could choke this stuff down, but as it gets warmer it gets worse. A cheap drunk and not so great brew.

2.75/5  rDev +17%

Reminds me of CAMO without the wine/grape flavor. I don't know which one I prefer because Steel's a little smoother but CAMO has more of an alchohol % and also cheaper by me. So it' depends on what type of mood you're in.

A cheap beer to get drunk off of. You be the judge.

3.05/5  rDev +29.8%

Appearance: Intimidating, huge, it's a 40oz. It looks like trouble. It's actually a apple juice color, few bubbles, no lacing.

Smell: Alcohol, steely grain, a bready sweetness.

Taste: An whiskey like sweetness upfront, alcohol warms your face, finishes semi dry, leaves a biscuity flavor in your mouth. Hops are nearly undetectable.

Mouthfeel: An even fizziness, fairly low carbonation, dry in the finish.

Drinkability: It depends. It's all about your mood on this one, it's 2/11 today so I thought what the hell. If you want some stress relief it can be as drinkable as anything. It doesn't have a lot going for it in terms of flavor, but it also doesn't have some of the awful flavors from other cheap overproofed beers.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company