2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Ratings: 825 | Reviews: 469 | Show All Ratings:
womencantsail

1.93/5  rDev -18.9%

My roommate just came home with a couple 40s of this. I haven't had it in so long, and I just felt compelled to try a bit and write a review.

A: The beer is a light golden color with a very fluffy white head. There are tons of bubbles.

S: Corn and grain sweetness, along with some alcohol. No hops, no surprise.

T: Very sweet, but also some off flavors. Corn syrup, decaying grains, and pennies. There is a definite heat from the alcohol on the finish.

M: Very light bodied and very effervescent.

D: If it's cold enough, you can take it down quickly. And I recommend doing so.

11-04-2009 05:43:52 | More by womencantsail
JamesS

Indiana

2.63/5  rDev +10.5%

This is what my parents had in their fridge when I went to visit and I wanted a beer...

Poured a decent golden yellow with some nice fizzy head, a bit of lacing, and a fair amount of carbonation. Very sweet and malty scent, not a lot of characteristics, but not bad. Funky taste, slightly skunky, not a lot there beyond a sweet maltiness. Goes down slightly thick and not as refreshing as it should have been. Won't get it for myself.

08-11-2009 13:48:55 | More by JamesS
chris761

2.08/5  rDev -12.6%

A-drank from a fourty ounce bottle. Nice yellow color.

S-not too bad.

T-not the worst but no where near good

M-thick but not too thivk

D-good drinkability

notes:not going to buy this one again unless i am just looking to get a buzz with cheap change.

08-03-2009 00:06:18 | More by chris761
mpreisz

4.05/5  rDev +70.2%

I've drunk this beer from time to time over several months, always served in glass from the 40 oz. bottles. The color is a fresh yellow tinged toward green rather than red, the aroma is slight, the head is sturdy at first but doesn't last, giving way to a lacy residue. While this beer has never bowled me over in the way that certain German, Czech and Dutch lagers/pilsners have, it is nevertheless of a reliably high quality and remarkably satisfying to drink. I find it difficult to imagine how it can have rated such low grades, unless the previous evaluators simply don't like lagers.

06-16-2009 17:11:29 | More by mpreisz
majesticsock

1.1/5  rDev -53.8%

Oh Steel, you were so cheap
Your 8.1 ABV I decided to reap
BeerAdvocate asked me about your mouthfeel
And honestly, you make my tastebuds peel

Lets be honest, I am poor
So I decided to buy one more
I poured you into my frosted mug
The next morning I felt beaten by a thug

Oh Steel, you taste like liquid metal
Oh Steel, I feel like I'm licking a kettle
Please, Steel, you don't look that bad
But, honestly, you smell like a sweaty dad.

06-10-2009 23:14:18 | More by majesticsock
tj4288

2.03/5  rDev -14.7%

picked up a 22oz bottle the other day, only because i had never tried it before and it was only like $1.29 ish. i read the reviews here on beer advocate FIRST before trying it and i was expecting the worst. it turned out not as bad as i imagined. i was surprised that the 8.1% was hardly noticable...until i got to the bottom of that 22oz, then i felt it. i might buy this beer again just because it was so cheap. i would not recomend it though.

05-08-2009 21:07:45 | More by tj4288
bsend

3.6/5  rDev +51.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured the legendary 40 ounce bottle into a standard pint.

Appearance: Beer pours a surprising medium golden color, with a small fizzy white head. The beer lets plenty of light through.

Smell: For a beer of this style, I was slightly impressed. No serious skunky smell compared to other beers of this style. Generally sweet nose and burned grains.

Taste: Surprisingly sweet flavor. Burned sugar, and grain. Definite alcohol flavor but when chilled, it is more subtle.

Mouthfeel: Standard moderate carbonation. Medium body, but light.

Drinkability: What it's famous for. Goes down way too easy for the 8.1% abv. I didn't mind sipping through a pint which says a lot, and I would definitely have another.

Final Thoughts - I revisited Steel Reserve recently when a friend brought it over. It was actually surprisingly decent for what it is, and most likely receives harsh reviews for being compared to an Imperial IPA or stout. Keeping the style in mind, this delivers on many levels. Try one with an open mind before you review.

04-30-2009 18:24:26 | More by bsend
cbros

2.88/5  rDev +21%

Bought a 24 ounce can of this after seeing it in a movie. The product placement got me and I was interested plus the fact that the can was only $1.56 I figured I had nothing to lose. Pours an alomst clear straw yellow, no activty after pour and there is no lace present either. Doesn't have a defined taste or mouthfeel, you mostly get what you expect out of this.

Not the best malt liquor ever but not too shabby. Probably will never buy this again but you never know. If I ever decide to slum it again this will be the beer I'll get.

04-17-2009 22:29:10 | More by cbros
WakeandBake

1.73/5  rDev -27.3%

22oz Bottle. A golden yellow pour with a big white fizzy head,lots of carbonation, strong aroma of corn husks,boiled vegetables,and moldy cracked corn, Flavor is a lot like the aroma some corn,wet straw,and cheep vodka,really cheep,with a less than pleasent barnyard aftertaste, this was a drainpour folks, I can power through most nasty beers but not this one... Fail , I'm sorry but if I have to get drunk this bad I will buy a bottle of mouthwash at the Dollar Store

03-29-2009 23:28:00 | More by WakeandBake
PintOHops

3.65/5  rDev +53.4%

Poured some from a 40oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears yellow/gold in color with a quarter inch bubble like head that reduces quickly to a thin film. Very large bubbles that disappear pretty fast leaving the beer looking pretty dead & uninviting. Has medium carbonation and leaves no lacing. Smells of sharp citrus, alcoholic, metallic & sweet malty notes, followed by some strange fruity aromas like raisins, strawberry's and grapes. Some cooked vegetables & grains, develops musty stale aromas as it warms.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of very sharp alcoholic, citrus and metallic notes, and finishes with very sweet stale, bitter, malty, grainy flavors. Cooked vegetables and some lingering grain and malt on the palate. The sharp alcoholic, metallic notes are very offensive and only get worse as it warms! Mouthfeel is somewhat smooth and lite bodied, has some pretty lively, bitey carbonation on the palate as well.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Okay, so I decided to tackle the 211 after avoiding it and dreading it for so long. Let me tell you, there isn't a drop of this stuff that's even close to being pleasant or drinkable. The alcohol! The metal! The sweet grainy malts! Ugh! So overwhelming from the first sip, you have to nearly freeze this thing to get it down, and it only gets worse as it warms! I recommend you stay far away from this one and just try a less potent malt that still gets the job done. I took the silver bullet so you didn't have to!

All jokes aside, this thing is completely undrinkable, and very offensive. Yes it well leave you stumbling down the hall way wondering what happened but at a very high cost! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Malt Liquor but not if you must nearly freeze it.

Note - Had this again recently, I compared it side by side with Hurricane High Gravity. Both where equally drinkable, even as it warmed. I almost prefer this over the HHG. Recommended for what it is, not bad.

03-08-2009 21:20:03 | More by PintOHops
Bacong

2.2/5  rDev -7.6%

Today I went to my liquor store expecting to spend a decent amount of money on my favorite beer, Young's Double Chocolate Stout. But a friend is really high on Steel Reserve, he loves it, all he drinks, so I said, what the hell. The store had a deal, 2 for 4, so naturally I slap down a 10 and say "give me 4."

poured out of 40 oz bottle into mug

Appearance: yellow. Piss yellow. Decent head when pouring, but very very soon after it dissipates to absolutely nothing.

Smell: fricking horrible. Adjuncts, malts and rice.

Taste: Taste is not as bad as expected, pretty sweet with not alot of alcohol present, a nice bitter alcoholy aftertaste

Mouthfeel: smooth feeling and easy drinking. Took me maybe 15 minutes to drink this 40 (probably way too fast as I am getting progressively more drunk as I write this)

Drinkability: Pretty damn easy to swallow. It was so cheap that I do not regret drinking so much of this so quickly. I will buy it again because it is so damn cheap and the ABV (8.1%) is so high that I can get pretty drunk on pocket change.

Overall, I recommend this to non-discerning beer drinkers who want to get really drunk on pocket change. If I had drank another 40 I doubt I'd pass for sentient.

I'm glad I finally found a beer that I can drink alot of for cheap and not actually mind the taste of. I will happily buy this again! Plus the bottle looks pretty cool.

02-18-2009 00:35:16 | More by Bacong
comet5

Colorado

2.9/5  rDev +21.8%

I told myself I wasn't going to spend any money on liquor this weekend, so I compromised with myself and said I'd get something from the liquor store that I could afford with the loose change I had scattered around my apartment. I knew this meant I would be buying my first 40oz. I have to say its not as bad as I thought it would be.

Since it was my first 40oz, I drank from the bottle, that how its done right? Its orange in color; sweet, and malty, with an alcohol flavor that was almost astringent at first and mellowed after about half the bottle was gone. Did the beer breath a bit or did my palette get used to it? At first the carbonation was really strong, but mellowed to become rather frothy in the mouth. The finish was good, the malty sweetness didn't linger, rather I was left with a hint of the "select hops" touted on the label and a warm feeling in my stomach(after half the bottle).

Its something I would definitely buy again, given that what I normally consider a cheap alternative like PBR doesn't taste much better and has half the alcohol content. Might as well get a bigger bang for you buck when you're not going for flavor.

02-08-2009 02:18:48 | More by comet5
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.7/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a decent lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of adjuncts, light malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is sweet and a little boozy up front with flavors of grain & adjuncts. There's a very mild hops presence that isn't enough to mask the alcohol, since there's no much other substance to the beer. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Very crisp but not very smooth, light body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: Not very flavorful at all, goes down ok, not filling at all, strong kick, it's a decent representation of its style for whatever that might be worth. There are definitely better high-octane beers out there that you can put away quickly, if that's what you're going for.

02-01-2009 00:53:34 | More by TheManiacalOne
cagocubs

2.1/5  rDev -11.8%

Had a 40oz of this back in college, attracted by its alcohol content. It was a straw gold color with a bad head. There was little smell at all, but a tad sweet. The mouthfeel was nothing special as its carbonation was overpowering. The drinkability is okay but difficult at 8.1ac.

01-11-2009 03:57:38 | More by cagocubs
yesyouam

1.73/5  rDev -27.3%

(from notes I found from this summer)
Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity is a clear, quite sparkling light golden lager with a soft white splotchy head that leaves good lacing. It has a fusel aroma with notes of corn and lemon. It is medium-light bodied; a little scratchy and a little sticky. I taste fusel oil and corn. There is a touch of bitterness at the finish. There's not too much flavor, but the booze is actually pretty well hidden. It's the best hobo beer I've had yet!
(rated Oct 18, 2008)

12-20-2008 05:45:52 | More by yesyouam
breginaldpeas

Tennessee

3.1/5  rDev +30.3%

It's well known this is no conisseur's beverage, but for what it is, it is excellent. Ok, maybe not excellent. It's alright. I would pick a 40 of steel over any quantity of budweiser any day. I find it to be highly drinkable. The taste I think is not at all revolting. As a homeless man once said to me, it goes down easy, doesnt fight back. It's perfect for that winding down, after work part of the day if you have only two dollars in your pocket. so, again, highly recomended if you are broke and thirsty.

11-19-2008 04:38:05 | More by breginaldpeas
matty

Gold colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is corn and alcohol.Taste is burning alcohol and a pretty bitter finish.This is the text book definition of a cheap heavy buzz.As a session beer pretty poor,as a way to get drunk quickly this is your brew!!

09-14-2008 05:22:02 | More by matty
Oxymoron

Colorado

1.53/5  rDev -35.7%

Malt Likuah. Pours a traditionally macro lemony yellow color, but does very with a slight haze. Need help with the pour but did leaves some bigger bubbles mixed with some softer ones. Not much on retention and no lacing to speak of.

The nose was not surprisingly skunky (clear bottle?). Hard to get past that, but some generic grain notes. Some people I shared this with (not drinking a whole one by myself), got some metallic but I didn't pick it out. Clean yeast.

The taste was very limited. Some grainy notes mixed with some distinct corn flavors. The sulfur come out but not as bad as the nose indicates. There is some not quite sweetness, but more of a residual taste that leaves a subtle chalky flavor. There is an odd fusel note that I would say is alcohol, but more of a off yeast flavor. Really off setting and as it warms because more noticeable.

Body is moderate and for volume is rather smooth. Even for style we have a lot of off notes here that just don't fit.

08-15-2008 22:24:21 | More by Oxymoron
Trueant1

1.23/5  rDev -48.3%

Looks good. Staw yellow color. Nice thick white head. Lots of carbonation. Looks good for a mass produced beer.

Smell is of danky puke, corn, and spicy alcohol.

Taste is bitter alochol, corn, and some hops. Horible to me.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily. I do not even want to take another sip to review it's drinkibility.

Sometimes I enjoy a MGD, or BUD...or such...
This I would never want to try agan.

Awful!

08-14-2008 02:08:17 | More by Trueant1
mrhiccups

Maryland

1.18/5  rDev -50.4%

Actually paid two bucks for this stuff!
For getting a big buzz on the cheap (if your stomach can stand it) get some Steel Reserve! To describe the taste as objectively as possible, I would say that it is reminiscent of castor oil and liniment. The texture of the beer in the mouth is as of used motor oil, greasy and clammy. Embalming fluid probably has less alcohol than this stuff! Not for the faint of heart, this stuff.

08-12-2008 01:49:36 | More by mrhiccups
demitriustown

1.4/5  rDev -41.2%

You only drink this malt liqour to do one thing get messed up really quick. Great when you want a good buzz without alot of cash. It does taste horrible though, but I have to admit I like the STEEL once in a while. Used to be a staple when I wanted a quick buzz in college. Now it's rather disgusting.

06-21-2008 22:30:48 | More by demitriustown
DmanGTR

1.33/5  rDev -44.1%

I tried to kiss you but you sliced my tongue in half with your metal. I tried to hold you but you ran so thin through my fingers. As we began our first dance you brought forth your wrath and smote me across my face, whispering "you shall fall." In desperate straits I strangled you face down on the kitchen table, wrestled your convulsing body to the sink, and washed away your wretched soul with tears of joy. I hope you perish and woe betide those who walk with your kin.

06-01-2008 16:31:22 | More by DmanGTR
giblet

2.6/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured decent into my glass, good head and carbonation. grain aroma with a hint of metalic. bitey taste of grain and carbonation. ok for a thirst quencher and a beer to catch a buzz on. 8.1% abv helps that cuz i would not drink four or six to do it.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

04-17-2008 18:04:11 | More by giblet
soupyman10

District of Columbia

1.43/5  rDev -39.9%

Got this beauty in a 40 oz for $2. Truly one of the finest beverages I've ever seen, smelt or tasted. Poured a delightful straw color with tons of tiny little bubbles. Thankfully, no head was in view. Nose was an aromatic acidic sweetness and grain. Taste was likewise, although the deliciously biting mouthfeel basically made the taste non-existent. This was so good I even almost finished one.

02-19-2008 23:31:41 | More by soupyman10
GlockAmore

3.58/5  rDev +50.4%

The biggest problem with Steel Reserve 211 is inconsistency. The flavors and appearance I note here are for a "good" one. I've found several "bad" ones that were a far cry from what the brewers intended. I don't know if it's the clear glass bottle, or poor quality control, all I know for sure is-occasionally I get one that's awful.

Appearance is deep gold, a bit richer than most mass produced beers. Taste is rich, malty sweetness with just a kiss of hop and an alcohol finish. I rather like its balance. Head is pure white with fine bubbles that dissipates quickly, leaves little lacing. Mouth feel is bit thin for the robust flavors of this brew, but then, for 99 cents a bomber(!) you could do worse.

02-07-2008 19:31:14 | More by GlockAmore