Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity)

awful

good

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-13-2001

Brewed in different abv. versions: 6.0%, 7.3%, 8.1%, & reports of a 8.9%
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,062 | Reviews: 525
1.28/5  rDev -45.8%

I can not even review this nasty beer..it was great in high school seeing as it was only $1.10... I can't even stand the smell of this anymore..used to drink it like water..it tastes like metal to me, funny because its "steel reserve". My opinions to you are, if your really low on money "and I meen LOW" go ahead.. DO NOT DRINK THIS OR YOUR GUNNA PROLLY END UP OVER THE TOILILET OR IN FIGHT WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND.

2.48/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This pours with a light straw yellow, pale and watery. The head was a mass of quickly bursting bubbles that fluttered away in seconds.

Sour maltiness with a tinge of sweet corn, the nose is a bit boozy.

The flavor is very sweet, brash, sour and offensive if left in the can. For the sake of this review I poured it in a glass and allowed it to air out. The flavor became more bearable with obvious sweet and sour barley, corn and maybe some alcohol.

The feel is light but haunted by that "malt liquor" feel.

I bought this on a whim and was suckered by $3.50 a four pack of pints. The terms High Gravity and slow brewed were also a determinant in this purchase but it won't happen again.

3.11/5  rDev +31.8%

Let's face it, 211 is malt liquor at its finest.

It is strong, it is sweet and "alcoholy", and it gets the job done.

It's meant for the back-alleys, the pre-drinking in the back of your friend's car, and that one time your ex-girlfriend's twin sister drank a 40 of it and couldn't handle it (resulting in a great story and memory).

This is the stuff of legends.

4.1/5  rDev +73.7%

For the price, it's very nice.
I'm not a beer snob, but for the price this beer packs a punch. It tastes good/great, and it goes down really smooth and hits hard in terms of giving you a buzz...

Best served ice cold. This is one of those beers that tastes like pee if it's warm, but actually tastes great when it's cold.

My overall rating factors in price.

2.78/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

probably drank this beer more than anything in high school crack that bottle and all u smell is that notorious swell malt corny odor bubbles up like a bitch when you swig it you do get past the taste, though after drinking it for a while this is the cheapest beer per alc content besides fourloko and those are garbage so if your low on cash and that cheap hooker needs a buzz theres always a cold one with your name on it at the corner store :)

2.62/5  rDev +11%

as a person who can drink a fifth of whiskey in a sitting...this beer is a nice light change...and at 8 50 for a 12 pack at cumberlnd farms ...y complain...by no means a bragger but it way better than those that come in a ridiculous 40oz that gets warm half through

2.17/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

A- Pours pale golden and clear. A foamy white Two finger head sits in top for a bit then leaves a slight cap. A lot of active carbonation rolling to the surface of my brewski. Decent lacing throughout.

S- Typical adjunct lager aroma. That's all I've got to say about that.

T- Same as nose. Sweet malts, bready yeast, minimal hop balance. Overly sweet actually. Not too enjoyable.

M- Light bodied for a brew coming in at 8.1%. Still it's got a fizz like a over carbonated soda.

O- This is the perfect beer to bring to your next beer pong tournament hands down. You get the high alcohol content that is awesome, and absolutely no annoying flavor to contend with. You can get f'd up and not have to break the bank in doing so. So game on man, lets do this! In other words, gross.

One of my favorite high gravity lagers. It's not that offensive going down for what it is, not heavily carbonated. The alcohol bite is of course there but it's not overwhelming and washes away rather quickly. Up front it has a slightly sweet corny/bread like note to it. For about 2 dollars a 24oz of a cheap drunk it's not bad at all. Great to crack open on a late afternoon with some snacks and music.

2.48/5  rDev +5.1%

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that died down rather quickly, leaving a patch of bubbles in the center of the glass and a collar around the edge.
S: Light aromas of fusel alcohol are present in the nose along with some notes of corn adjuncts.
T: The taste starts off with flavors of cooked corn and non-descript malts, which transitions to notes of fusel alcohol, the latter of which lingers through the finish. No sweetness is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I picked up some aromas of fusel alcohol in the smell, but these are completely masked if you drink the beer straight out of the "steel" can, and then the only thing that is somewhat detracting are the flavors of fusel alcohol that linger into the finish. The adjunct malts didn't seem to overpower the taste, but I wasn't keen on the fusel alcohol in the taste.

3.1/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 24 ounce tallboy into a shaker pint glass. The label says 8.1% ABV. A moderate pour produces about 1.5 inches of a bubbly head that dissipates very quickly, leaving little islets of foam. The color is a pale golden straw with fairly light carbonation. The beer almost seems flat inside of five minutes.

The taste is quite smooth with just a little bit of fruity alcohol notes and maybe just a slight tang of metal. A slight corniness is apparent, but downplayed compared to your average malt liquor. Almost no detectable bitterness from hops, but some fairly complex light malt flavors. It has a fair amount of body but is easy drinking.

I'm on a bit of a malt liquor kick- this one is actually pretty darn good. I think there really is quite a bit of malt here. The taste does not become repugnant as it warms- in fact a bit of complexity is on display. Overall, it is what it is and it ain't half bad.

2.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Steel Reserve, poured into a tasting glass. Originally, blind-tasted with 11 other pale lagers. Finishing up the rest of the 24oz can.

Gold color with a weak short-lived head of translucent white. No lacing, trust me.

A spry grain aroma with hints of fruity esters and hints of booze. Very pale cereal malts and a pich of sweetness.

A pale grain opening, followed by a strange cheap white wine fruity ester with a hint of apple. Almost has a character like a Belgian pale, which leads me to believe that the yeast is very much in play here. A little tinny, late, with a semi-sweet outro that has an adjunct-like muck to the finish. Rather smooth, however.

Has a medium carbonation. Maybe a bit more spritz than that. The body is mellow and with some wishy-wash. Okay.

Eh, too obvious. Not enough good stuff. I'm more partial to watery, flavor-lite ease.

2.4/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

24 oz can poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a piss-yella color. The head doesn't last long - it's about a finger high, white in color, and very bubbly. At least it leaves some lacing behind!

S: Smells, in essence, like cheap white wine. The aroma could have been FAR worse - smelling like cheap white wine is a lot better than smelling of corn, cooked veggies, and failure.

T: Same with the taste - I don't love it by any means, but I can definitely drink this. There is a half-decent corn flavor here (like a good pre-pro pils), followed by bits of cream and cheap white wine. Honestly, the more I drink it, the more the generic sweetness becomes a bother instead of any shitty off-notes.

M: There's a slight prickle on the palate from the booze, which comes out the more I drink it. That, and it's rather sweet finishing - too sweet, actually. In the realm of craft beer, the feel would fail utterly; but in the realm of malt likka, it reigns like a street king looking over his bitch-ass subjects.

O: I'd rather drink this over the typical BMC stalwarts (sans Miller High Life, maybe). It certainly isn't a good beer, BUUUT it's great for getting drunk on the cheap. I don't hate this one, that's for sure.

3.93/5  rDev +66.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

If you wanna get drunk for cheap, this is the best beer you can buy. Pretty good taste and really kicks your ass. I get the 40 oz bottles and drink two and I'm feeling great. It's definitely a get drunk beer not one to really relax and enjoy or if you're thirsty.

3.87/5  rDev +64%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer does the job for the effects at the right price. Not really a bad taste at all compared to other beers I've had. I drink it all the time. Fills you up, that's for sure. And I would recommend that more bars, and restaurants serve steel reserve because it's hard to find them in these places.

2.49/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - 2.25 - straw colored clear beer with zero head
S - 2.5 - smells like sweet white grape juice, rice, do i sense a hint of sake?
T - 2.5 - i expected worse, tastes fruity. Like white grapes juice. Slight beer and.boozy tastes.
M - 2.5 - thin, watery mouthfeel. Alc is actually well covered. No aftertaste, surprising.
O - 2.5 - with expectations so low i cant slam this one. The beer is good for what it is.

3.25/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into pilsner glass and looks the part of an Am. lager. Very clear and big full white head. Pale gold. Driipping lacing.
Soft malt and rather corn based. Some nose tickling with all the carbonation and hints of hop spice.
Malt, and the sweetness intermixes with the alcohol. Not as much corn flavor as I expected, but then it is very cold and I intend to keep it that way. Light drying the the malt laying on the tongue for quite awhile.
Appropriate body for style. Fully carbonated, but as it should be. Smooth like a lager.
Drinks too easily for size. I really don't hate this. One will be enough, but it is consistent with my fondness for bigger lagers
Thanks T. Part of 2013 Xmas exchange.

3.6/5  rDev +52.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Yellow to tan and well carbonated. Head didn't last long and there wasn't much lace, but it wasn't bad looking at all.

Aroma was lightly malty and sweet with corn, fairly noticeable alcohol.

Flavor was far sweeter and more heavy on the corn, but here the alcohol seemed to mostly disappear. For such high alcohol on such a light beer, it is concealed very well.

Body is light and sweet with a light warming. Surprisingly easy to drink.

It's not my favorite malt liquor but it's plenty good enough if this is your style.

Best thing to ever grace my taste buds. First one and I was hooked. I twisted off the golden cap and was immediately bombarded with an aromatic burst of floral, citrusy, earthy hop-o-rama. This little golden honey delighted my teeth, tongue, gums, and gullet. It is also a wicked good aphrodisiac. My homebum partner was more than willing to relinquish his cardboard shelter for a single sip of this malty delicacy. Yes! This is truly the nectar of the gods!

2.6/5  rDev +10.2%

Not good, but not horrible. Still better than Keystone Light. Picked up a 6-pack for myself and two other guys for the last day of classes (big day at my college) and couldn't finish it. Somewhat sweet with a strong taste of corn. 8.1% ABV was what attracted me to it; I didn't particularly care about the taste when I took the price into account ($4.50 for 6-pack). However, it doesn't taste particularly good, but it is drinkable. Just swallow it quickly. Honestly, the best thing about it is that it's pretty high in alcohol and pretty cheap.

All in all, while it's not one of my favorites, I'll drink it again, simply because it's good when you're broke and want to drink with a couple of friends.

3.83/5  rDev +62.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Need i say anymore its a Miller brewing company malt liquor whoops high gravity... To me its a damn good cheap brew to buy and it will get you where you want to go! It has a good taste, not alot of alcohol punch, which equals you to getting it trouble. Plus it is a $1.50 a 24 ounce can. I cant bitch at this stuff they are producing, to me its better than hurricane hg at 8.10 percent

4.8/5  rDev +103.4%

This is to offset all the beer snobs who get excited over a Jacksonville Pale Ale that's $15 for a six pack.

Get off your high horses.

This "malt liquor" is.... well, it goes down like a Miller Lite.

$3.75 for 4 16oz's 8.1ABV = Trick

under $4 and I'm going to bed early.

Seriously. I'm sick of the snobs hating on shit just because you can find it at a convenience store.

This stuff does the trick, for the price, the drinkability is not harsh at all - it goes down and gets you where you need to be.

Fast. Cheap. Taste Good.

The End.

Now go sample you're Johnson Farms Natural Spring Water Lite Lager with hints of Juniper and give it a 3/5 because it doesn't have a "strong mouth feel"

Puh-leeze.

Over and out,

Jack.

1.36/5  rDev -42.4%

Great site, been here a bunch but it took drinkin a Steel Reserve prompted me to sign up. This stuff is pure garbage!!! I am on my third one ever and only because my neighbor left one here and I'm out of Natty Light. He lost his liscense cause of DUI, go figure!, and has me give him a ride to the Quicky-Mart from time to time so he can get his "fix". As I said I normally drink the Natty due to price. In a perfect world I'd only drink quality brews like Dos Equis, Corona, Sweetwater 420, Abita or any other quality brew, but it's not a perfect world and I'm drinkin this crap. The only way I can even drink it is to place the rather attractive, stylish can in my right hand and hold my nose with my left thumb and forefinger. Then I pour it in the back of my throat and swallow as quickly as possible. Urgh! Thank god I only had one to drink is all I can say! Don't believe me? Try one. Sure it's strong and will get u drunk, but so is Sterno. Urgh! Yuck!

3.5/5  rDev +48.3%

Cheap beer for a good buzz... LOVE IT!!! Warning!!! Two of these and you are DOWN FOR THE COUNT...just saying... I LOVE BEER...what can I say...It gets expensive....Great alternative for getting a good beer buzz on. I DONT like hard liquor. Can be bought at any connivence store.

2.89/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not something I would want to drink regularly. However, it is decent and very cheap so it could be worse. It doesn't smell very good and the color is very yellow for a beer. Not overly carbonated. Taste was better than expected after previous experiences with "high gravity lagers."

2.43/5  rDev +3%

I drink 2 40's after work each day of Steel Reserve 211 because it's cheap and gets you buzzed or drunk depending on the consumption speed. It does leave me groggy every morning and upsets my stomach the next day for the first part of the day. In terms of 40's I choose it over all others due to better taste. Given the money I would suggest regular beers over Steel Reserve, but if you want cheap and decent then Steel Reserve is the way to go.

Steel Reserve 211 (High Gravity) from Steel Brewing Company