Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk Berry - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk BerrySteel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk Berry

poor

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: woodychandler on 09-15-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.63/5  rDev +67.1%

I got the 16oz for $1.25 at the downtown store by the central terminal.

I never wanted to try it because I don't like girly drinks with all the sugar

Since its 8.0 % alc I figured I give it a try although I usually go for the 8.1 % 211 or 8.5% colt 45.

I gave this a try and I was Astounded. It is almost hard to believe there is any alcohol in it because it tastes like juice. In a blind taste test between this and other grape or berry flavored carbonated drinks I don't think people would know which is the 211.

The kick you get out of it is also better than the regular 211 and colt 45 8.5%
I think its because of all the sugar and food coloring and whatever else they put in this concoction but it really gives you a quick buzz off of one 16oz can.

I don't like drinking things like this so much because they are some crazy things in there and they turn your poop greenish colored. And they are very addicting I am fighting the urge to go and get one right now. I got to stop drinking.

iman99, Mar 14, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -9.7%

Steel Reserve Blk Berry brewed by Steel Brrewing with an ABV of 8%. This brew pours out PURPLE in color with a small white head. The smell is fruit and grape. No brew smells at all. Reminds me of Hawiaann punch. For what it worth this brew goes down smooth for having a high ABV. Blk Berry is really sweet. I really don't consider this beer. But it is what it is. The mouthfeel is nice but it is sweet. Not bad for the price I was expecting a lot worse. Overall I'm giving this brew a 2.5 out 5. I would buy this brew again.

nicholas2121, Wednesday at 03:19 AM

Could possibly drink if there was nothing else.

FippyDarkpaw, Sep 03, 2014

Poured from 24oz can into a pint glass. This is the 8.0% version. Trying out all the Steel offerings today; my expectations are not high.

Appearance: it's like the commercial where the kids have a choice between Sunny D and "purple stuff". This is the purple stuff.

Smell: this smells in no way like beer; it's more like lightly carbonated grape soda with some SweeTarts dissolved in it.

Taste: and that's pretty much what it tastes like, too. You might maybe guess that this has a malt liquor base, but mostly it's sugar. A real MIP magnet.

Mouthfeel: thin and watery with a little bit of carbonation. Not great.

Overall: this isn't really a beer; it's a malt-derived alcopop. As a beer, it is horrible; perhaps a 0 on the 1-5 scale. As a candylike alcohol delivery system, it is pretty decent; a 3 perhaps.

flagmantho, Aug 30, 2014

norinco, May 29, 2014

Maillard, May 27, 2014

bushwack, May 25, 2014
2.6/5  rDev -6.1%

I drink high gravity beers for the effect--don't get it twisted, I do enjoy a great ipa and of course everything sam adams do but because of my tolerance, I don't care for bloat. My only problem with this product is the dye that makes my poop green. It's so sweet one could hardly consider it a beer but that is ok when yer trying to slam a 24 in 5 min. for the head change. Icehouse edge is slightly more palatable than the rest of the 8%ers.

reisingwood, May 23, 2014

2.75/5  rDev -0.7%

sgttibbs, Mar 02, 2014

mkf629, Mar 02, 2014
3.99/5  rDev +44%

Steel Reserve Blk Berry is definitely not a beer, but as a cheap way of getting drunk, it's the holy grail. It tastes like grape soda and unlike original Steel Reserve, it's not even close to disgusting. There is no head, no hoppiness, and no maltiness to speak of, because this is not a beer, and thus cannot be evaluated as such. It's just grape soda that somehow manages to get you drunk.

frittr, Feb 28, 2014
2.98/5  rDev +7.6%

It says it is a flavored ale.
I once had a flavoured ale in England, a banana one at that, it was absolutely fantastic.
This, though...

It's your typical so called "wine cooler", this. A long drink, if you will. Rather more pleasant than "margarita in a can"- indeed, more beer based.
Flavors, aromas so artificially and sickly sweet, it actually looses its value as a genuine refreshment.
Candy floss, grape, fruit punch. Not too bad for a chemical concoction.
Not so much grain alcohol taste- a good trait considering the price.

24 fl.oz can being a what one would call "good value", is actually too much for anyone to down while still chilled, the reason being its sweetness.

Taste- nothing exciting, not downright unpleasant either.
A definite improvement over the typical wine cooler that reeks and tastes of pure grain alcohol, a very good improvement on that principle, especially for the money.

You won't miss out by not ever purchasing it.
If you do have a can, however, try to enjoy it.

horsebreath, Feb 15, 2014
2.95/5  rDev +6.5%

I normally don't review "alcopops". However, I was too intrigued with this product not to purchase it. After reading some reviews, I have some thoughts of my own.

Pours a color that resembles Nehi Grape soda with just a touch of foam into my glass. Normally, you should guzzle this stuff straight from the can.

Smells like a sweet tart candy more than anything. Grape and what I can only describe as "tropical punch". Even though it's fake, I still find my nose being drawn in further.

Sickly sweet upfront with lots of grape. On second though, not Nehi, but more like a sparkling grape juice. The beer part? Practically non-existent. I realize that perhaps grape isn't enough as this is supposed to be a blackberry alcopop. It's there, but barely.

Weird, chemical aftertaste peppers the tongue. Very thin.

Before I assign a number, there are two questions to think about:

1. Is this a beer? Does it have beer characteristics?
2. Is this an alcopop? Does it excel at being such?

For the first question, this is certainly not a beer. The beer is the "base" for all the artificial colors/flavors.

As for the second question? This product excels at being an alcopop. It is tolerable and perfect if you can't be bothered with the taste of citrusy hops and buttery malt (if only payday were TODAY so I could buy some Limbo IPA! Take that, trolls!).

Brad007, Jan 08, 2014