Follow our progress ...

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 28 | Ratings: 68
1.66/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

From the 25 oz. can with an expiration date of Sept 19, 2016. Sampled over my propane grill on May 10, 2016.

The pour is purple with a quick fizzy head. It does not look anything like beer.

The aroma is blackberry juice and jelly with little else on the nose.

The body is light to medium and actually feels heavier than Steel Reserve 211 regular.

The taste is a notch above the aroma with the same overzealous blackberry juice character but a more distant under current of breaded grainy malts. No booze at all and that's why these hybrids are so dangerous. You can pound them down like a fruit drink on a hot day and think nothing of it until your head protests when it is finished.

3.64/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: dark but still transparent purple
S: berries
T: more berries
F: medium bodied, drinkable beer

Overall: For something that comes out of the same factory as Steel Reserve High Gravity, this is simply incredible. I actually enjoy this; the berry flavor covers up whatever crap goes into a normal steel reserve. I would definitely buy again if I saw it.

Also sampled back on 1/28/16 with a good friend. Comes in a single 24 ounce can for $1.99! Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a .5L handled-glass stein.

Brew pours a deep purplish in color with a very thin white head. Some very minor lacing was seen when sipped but not much. Aroma is of black berries for the most part as would be expected. Taste follows the nose also and you can't really taste the higher alcohol content unlike some other brews. Goes down very easy. Lighter-side of medium-bodied with decent carbonation. Overall you can't beat the price and is better than many similar brews in this price range. manager at Hy-Vee said this is a underrated brew and he is right.

2.09/5  rDev -27.2%

Bought from Times $1.78 24 ox can. Dark purple color, low carbonation, taste like juice, 8% alcohol gives it a kick that you feel later since it doesn't taste like alcohol. Bought it out of curiosity, more for the crowd that drinks wine coolers.

2.42/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

A: The beer is clear but very dark purple in color (black when viewed from afar). It poured with a quarter finger high dark pink head that died down, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of fruit punch are present in the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has lots of artificial flavors of fruit punch along with some hints of blackberries. There is a moderate to high amount of sweetness.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This "beer" does a good job at hiding its alcohol, but tastes more like a spiked fruit punch than it does like a beer. The high amount of sweetness can make this a little cloying.

Serving type: can

2.72/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Steel Reserve Black Cherry.

Part three of four in my fukkit I'm broke and wanna get wasted night. Blah blah blah cheap steel reserve. Blah blah blah cheap twenty four ounce can. Blah blah blah let's do it.

Look - Pours a pinkish purple type deal with minimal and quickly fucking off purpleish fizzy head that went bye bye quicker than Don Juan after getting the tuny puss after a show and slipped salt peter. Carbonation appears moderate from what I can see. No lacing due to the Donald Trump running for president esque failed hair matching his failure of a hair style. 2.5.

Smell - Smells like a wet swishers grape flavored cheap cigar. The kind you bought to break and roll up a fat blunt with back in the good ole high school days. That's about the extent of this one. Nostalgic really. 3.

Taste - Anybody remember fruit roll up gushers? It basically tastes like biting into a mouth full of random flavors straight from a pack. Alcohol is clearly noticable upon swallow. Grains cone through as well in their same cheap ass selves reminding you that this is ONCE AGAIN a steel reserve brew. 2.75

Feel - Light as the other one was with low levels of carbonation. Swallows rough due to the non-hidden alcohol. 2.

Overall - Another swing and miss by the ladies and gents outta steel reserve. Not horrible by any means, but these brews really need to be something you drink secondary to something else. Almost wish I had a nice fifth of black rum and a two liter of A&W right now. Beer would be fine to sip on between every other half swig of a mixed drink. Honestly, I likely won't even hit part four tonight. But who knows, night is still young ;). 2.75..

4.7/5  rDev +63.8%

I really like this. I can have a can with a meal and it tastes amazing. It's more like ale than beer but is better than a lot of ales in its price range.

4.23/5  rDev +47.4%

Like many others, I just don't see how this is a beer. This has the same appeal as a wine cooler. It tastes great and goes down relatively smooth. It has a weird texture / viscosity . Mine had the viscosity of liquid cold medicine. As looks go, theres nothing special. It looks like grape soda. I only recommend this due to price ($2.50) and the general black berry flavor.

3.41/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Don't know how it can be called a beer, more like liquid candy with a kick.
Wish I would have found this in my younger partying days.would opt for this over a wine cooler any day.

2.72/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

So, this is oddly much better then it sounds like it would be. It has a very fake smell, but tastes like blackberry soda and is actually much more drinkable than normal steel reserve.

3.11/5  rDev +8.4%

I rarely rate a flavored malt liquor higher than a 2, but my wife likes this stuff. Although it taste nothing like a real beer it does have a flavor similar to NUGRAPE. Nugrape was my favorite grape soda growing up and this taste like it. It even turns your tongue purple! So, if alcohol was legal to give to minors this one would be #1 in sales!LOL! However, if you are a German Oatmeal Stout kind of guy then don't be fooled by the 8% alcohol content and just look the other way unless you're like me and like McDonald's Grape Jelly.

3.86/5  rDev +34.5%

Reminds me of grape flavored Zima - except that I couldn't drink Zima, yet I am mysteriously pleased by Blk Berry. I normally choose low alcohol and low flavor. This is not low alcohol - the 8% rating feels accurate to me - and not really low flavor. But the flavor is not bitter or stout, it is sweet and fruity, almost like it isn't a beer at all. Not at all what I was looking for, but what can I say, I really enjoy this brew. This, from a fan of Select 55 and Michelob Ultra - and apparently, grape koolaid.

3.5/5  rDev +22%

Steel Reserve beers have always surprised me. While I wasn't expecting a life-changing beer for a flavored high-gravity brew it's surprisingly good. But the same can be said for the smoothness of the original. If you're not a fan of sweet stay away. It does have a bit of tartness but definitely a brew for newbies.

2.02/5  rDev -29.6%

A: Pours a clear deep purple in color (not dissimilar to grape juice or grape Kool-Aid) with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation and faint bright purple and garnet red highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy lavender head that quickly reduces to a medium thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of artificial grape and blackberry with a very heavy amount of sugar (kind of reminds of Grape Crush soda)..

T: Upfront this beer is very sweet with strong flavors of highly sweetened artificial grape (like in soda) and just a hint of blackberry. Light amounts of alcohol and just a hint of bitterness in the finish which fades almost immediately.

M: Light to medium bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: Alcohol is well hidden but this is a beer for people that do not like the taste of beer - kind of reminds me of Purple Passion from the 80s/90s... Not nearly as bad as I was expecting though definitely too sweet for me. Maybe it would be better from a clear plastic 2 liter bottle vs. the giant aluminum can.

3.5/5  rDev +22%

This isn't my typical go to drink other than if I wanted to get smashed for cheap, but I was quite surprised. It tastes like gummy fruit snacks, and you really get no alcohol taste going down. It's surprisingly smooth, I'd take this over a four Loko anyday. I liked it, but it might get too sugary for some

2.75/5  rDev -4.2%

Steel Reserve Blk Berry brewed by Steel Brrewing with an ABV of 8%. This brew pours out PURPLE in color with a small white head. The smell is fruit and grape. No brew smells at all. Reminds me of Hawiaann punch. For what it worth this brew goes down smooth for having a high ABV. Blk Berry is really sweet. I really don't consider this beer. But it is what it is. The mouthfeel is nice but it is sweet. Not bad for the price I was expecting a lot worse. Overall I'm giving this brew a 2.5 out 5. I would buy this brew again.

Poured from 24oz can into a pint glass. This is the 8.0% version. Trying out all the Steel offerings today; my expectations are not high.

Appearance: it's like the commercial where the kids have a choice between Sunny D and "purple stuff". This is the purple stuff.

Smell: this smells in no way like beer; it's more like lightly carbonated grape soda with some SweeTarts dissolved in it.

Taste: and that's pretty much what it tastes like, too. You might maybe guess that this has a malt liquor base, but mostly it's sugar. A real MIP magnet.

Mouthfeel: thin and watery with a little bit of carbonation. Not great.

Overall: this isn't really a beer; it's a malt-derived alcopop. As a beer, it is horrible; perhaps a 0 on the 1-5 scale. As a candylike alcohol delivery system, it is pretty decent; a 3 perhaps.

2.55/5  rDev -11.1%

I drink high gravity beers for the effect--don't get it twisted, I do enjoy a great ipa and of course everything sam adams do but because of my tolerance, I don't care for bloat. My only problem with this product is the dye that makes my poop green. It's so sweet one could hardly consider it a beer but that is ok when yer trying to slam a 24 in 5 min. for the head change. Icehouse edge is slightly more palatable than the rest of the 8%ers.

4.57/5  rDev +59.2%

I got the 16oz for $1.25 at the downtown store by the central terminal.

I never wanted to try it because I don't like girly drinks with all the sugar

Since its 8.0 % alc I figured I give it a try although I usually go for the 8.1 % 211 or 8.5% colt 45.

I gave this a try and I was Astounded. It is almost hard to believe there is any alcohol in it because it tastes like juice. In a blind taste test between this and other grape or berry flavored carbonated drinks I don't think people would know which is the 211.

The kick you get out of it is also better than the regular 211 and colt 45 8.5%
I think its because of all the sugar and food coloring and whatever else they put in this concoction but it really gives you a quick buzz off of one 16oz can.

I don't like drinking things like this so much because they are some crazy things in there and they turn your poop greenish colored. And they are very addicting I am fighting the urge to go and get one right now. I got to stop drinking.

3.9/5  rDev +35.9%

Steel Reserve Blk Berry is definitely not a beer, but as a cheap way of getting drunk, it's the holy grail. It tastes like grape soda and unlike original Steel Reserve, it's not even close to disgusting. There is no head, no hoppiness, and no maltiness to speak of, because this is not a beer, and thus cannot be evaluated as such. It's just grape soda that somehow manages to get you drunk.

2.99/5  rDev +4.2%

It says it is a flavored ale.
I once had a flavoured ale in England, a banana one at that, it was absolutely fantastic.
This, though...

It's your typical so called "wine cooler", this. A long drink, if you will. Rather more pleasant than "margarita in a can"- indeed, more beer based.
Flavors, aromas so artificially and sickly sweet, it actually looses its value as a genuine refreshment.
Candy floss, grape, fruit punch. Not too bad for a chemical concoction.
Not so much grain alcohol taste- a good trait considering the price.

24 fl.oz can being a what one would call "good value", is actually too much for anyone to down while still chilled, the reason being its sweetness.

Taste- nothing exciting, not downright unpleasant either.
A definite improvement over the typical wine cooler that reeks and tastes of pure grain alcohol, a very good improvement on that principle, especially for the money.

You won't miss out by not ever purchasing it.
If you do have a can, however, try to enjoy it.

2.95/5  rDev +2.8%

I normally don't review "alcopops". However, I was too intrigued with this product not to purchase it. After reading some reviews, I have some thoughts of my own.

Pours a color that resembles Nehi Grape soda with just a touch of foam into my glass. Normally, you should guzzle this stuff straight from the can.

Smells like a sweet tart candy more than anything. Grape and what I can only describe as "tropical punch". Even though it's fake, I still find my nose being drawn in further.

Sickly sweet upfront with lots of grape. On second though, not Nehi, but more like a sparkling grape juice. The beer part? Practically non-existent. I realize that perhaps grape isn't enough as this is supposed to be a blackberry alcopop. It's there, but barely.

Weird, chemical aftertaste peppers the tongue. Very thin.

Before I assign a number, there are two questions to think about:

1. Is this a beer? Does it have beer characteristics?
2. Is this an alcopop? Does it excel at being such?

For the first question, this is certainly not a beer. The beer is the "base" for all the artificial colors/flavors.

As for the second question? This product excels at being an alcopop. It is tolerable and perfect if you can't be bothered with the taste of citrusy hops and buttery malt (if only payday were TODAY so I could buy some Limbo IPA! Take that, trolls!).

3.09/5  rDev +7.7%

OK. Remember I'm reviewing the style so I'm doing my best on review to think about the beer against the other misfits in this category...sigh. Here goes...

A: Uh...it's purple. Does it matter about the shade of purple? If so...maybe you shouldn't try this "beer".
S: Do you like Grapico? I do. It's a soft drink favorite of mine. I like the way this smells.
T: Imagine drinking Grapico and...uh..then imagine you were too broke to buy the real stuff and went store brand.
MF: If only Boon's Farm would carbonate a beverage.
O: Do you like candy? Have you ever thought "Damn! I wish candy still gave me the buzz it did when I was 5." I like candy.

I was forgiving because I prefer this over most other American Adjuncts.

3.67/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

First of all, to call this a "beer" is definitely a misnomer. To me I think it of as an "alcopop". It's sweet, tastes good, and will get you buzzed for cheap. For $1.99 (what I can get if for where I live) there's nothing even remotely close to it in both flavor and alcohol percentage (8.0 ABV). I've found myself craving these ever since I first discovered them. Yes I was reluctant with the "Steel Reserve" name, but that's not a reason to discredit it or lessen the rating.

I've mixed them with a popular Grape Energy Drink, and wow was it good! If you're looking for something to drink and aren't concerned with the character of the beer, etc. this is definitely worth the investment. Plus, it's something the "ladies" enjoy too. I've yet to have anyone tell me they haven't liked it. Of course if they see the brand name, they're reluctant to try it as I was. You pour it in a glass, and give them a taste, the reaction is always "Ummm what is this!"

For "non-beer drinkers", this would probably be a 4.25 or better. It's definitely a 3 or even 3.5 for those of us who appreciate a good beer, and appreciate it's flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Deep Purple (sorry, I could not resist) body, crowned by a coarse, light lilac head, which slowly fades to patches of foam. A thin ring of lace adorns the glass walls.

Aroma: A strong punch of artificial berry flavoring surges forth during the pour. I am reminded of the Crunch Berries cereal of my youth.

Taste: Strong blackberry flavor from start to finish. In fact, the flavor seems less artificial than the aroma. Somehow, it manages to taste a lot like blackberry pie. Its quite illogical, but I keep expecting to encounter blackberry seeds. Finishes with a strong, lingering blackberry note.

Mouth feel: Smooth, fairly full, soft.

Drinkability/notes: Better than I expected. While its far from world-class, its cheap and refreshing.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-four ounce aluminum can, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Sourcing: Purchased in Austin, TX in October of 2013 for $2.19 plus tax for a twenty-four ounce can.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast