Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk Berry - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk BerrySteel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk Berry

poor

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: woodychandler on 09-15-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.63/5  rDev +73.4%

I got the 16oz for $1.25 at the downtown store by the central terminal.

I never wanted to try it because I don't like girly drinks with all the sugar

Since its 8.0 % alc I figured I give it a try although I usually go for the 8.1 % 211 or 8.5% colt 45.

I gave this a try and I was Astounded. It is almost hard to believe there is any alcohol in it because it tastes like juice. In a blind taste test between this and other grape or berry flavored carbonated drinks I don't think people would know which is the 211.

The kick you get out of it is also better than the regular 211 and colt 45 8.5%
I think its because of all the sugar and food coloring and whatever else they put in this concoction but it really gives you a quick buzz off of one 16oz can.

I don't like drinking things like this so much because they are some crazy things in there and they turn your poop greenish colored. And they are very addicting I am fighting the urge to go and get one right now. I got to stop drinking.

iman99, Mar 14, 2014
2.03/5  rDev -24%

A: Pours a clear deep purple in color (not dissimilar to grape juice or grape Kool-Aid) with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation and faint bright purple and garnet red highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy lavender head that quickly reduces to a medium thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of artificial grape and blackberry with a very heavy amount of sugar (kind of reminds of Grape Crush soda)..

T: Upfront this beer is very sweet with strong flavors of highly sweetened artificial grape (like in soda) and just a hint of blackberry. Light amounts of alcohol and just a hint of bitterness in the finish which fades almost immediately.

M: Light to medium bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: Alcohol is well hidden but this is a beer for people that do not like the taste of beer - kind of reminds me of Purple Passion from the 80s/90s... Not nearly as bad as I was expecting though definitely too sweet for me. Maybe it would be better from a clear plastic 2 liter bottle vs. the giant aluminum can.

dbrauneis, Today at 09:01 PM

253BadHabit, Nov 14, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -15.7%

Tastes like powdered candy. Hard to really knock it for that, wasn't exactly expecting fresh fruit flavors. I've had worse craft beers.

largadeer, Oct 22, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

This isn't my typical go to drink other than if I wanted to get smashed for cheap, but I was quite surprised. It tastes like gummy fruit snacks, and you really get no alcohol taste going down. It's surprisingly smooth, I'd take this over a four Loko anyday. I liked it, but it might get too sugary for some

Lou22, Oct 21, 2014
2.68/5  rDev +0.4%

JamesStreet, Sep 30, 2014

djrn2, Sep 28, 2014
2.75/5  rDev +3%

Steel Reserve Blk Berry brewed by Steel Brrewing with an ABV of 8%. This brew pours out PURPLE in color with a small white head. The smell is fruit and grape. No brew smells at all. Reminds me of Hawiaann punch. For what it worth this brew goes down smooth for having a high ABV. Blk Berry is really sweet. I really don't consider this beer. But it is what it is. The mouthfeel is nice but it is sweet. Not bad for the price I was expecting a lot worse. Overall I'm giving this brew a 2.5 out 5. I would buy this brew again.

nicholas2121, Sep 10, 2014

Could possibly drink if there was nothing else.

FippyDarkpaw, Sep 03, 2014

Poured from 24oz can into a pint glass. This is the 8.0% version. Trying out all the Steel offerings today; my expectations are not high.

Appearance: it's like the commercial where the kids have a choice between Sunny D and "purple stuff". This is the purple stuff.

Smell: this smells in no way like beer; it's more like lightly carbonated grape soda with some SweeTarts dissolved in it.

Taste: and that's pretty much what it tastes like, too. You might maybe guess that this has a malt liquor base, but mostly it's sugar. A real MIP magnet.

Mouthfeel: thin and watery with a little bit of carbonation. Not great.

Overall: this isn't really a beer; it's a malt-derived alcopop. As a beer, it is horrible; perhaps a 0 on the 1-5 scale. As a candylike alcohol delivery system, it is pretty decent; a 3 perhaps.

flagmantho, Aug 31, 2014

norinco, May 29, 2014

Maillard, May 27, 2014

bushwack, May 25, 2014
2.6/5  rDev -2.6%

I drink high gravity beers for the effect--don't get it twisted, I do enjoy a great ipa and of course everything sam adams do but because of my tolerance, I don't care for bloat. My only problem with this product is the dye that makes my poop green. It's so sweet one could hardly consider it a beer but that is ok when yer trying to slam a 24 in 5 min. for the head change. Icehouse edge is slightly more palatable than the rest of the 8%ers.

reisingwood, May 23, 2014