Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk Berry - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk BerrySteel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk Berry

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: woodychandler on 09-15-2013)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Brad007:
Brad007

Vermont

2.95/5  rDev +2.4%

I normally don't review "alcopops". However, I was too intrigued with this product not to purchase it. After reading some reviews, I have some thoughts of my own.

Pours a color that resembles Nehi Grape soda with just a touch of foam into my glass. Normally, you should guzzle this stuff straight from the can.

Smells like a sweet tart candy more than anything. Grape and what I can only describe as "tropical punch". Even though it's fake, I still find my nose being drawn in further.

Sickly sweet upfront with lots of grape. On second though, not Nehi, but more like a sparkling grape juice. The beer part? Practically non-existent. I realize that perhaps grape isn't enough as this is supposed to be a blackberry alcopop. It's there, but barely.

Weird, chemical aftertaste peppers the tongue. Very thin.

Before I assign a number, there are two questions to think about:

1. Is this a beer? Does it have beer characteristics?
2. Is this an alcopop? Does it excel at being such?

For the first question, this is certainly not a beer. The beer is the "base" for all the artificial colors/flavors.

As for the second question? This product excels at being an alcopop. It is tolerable and perfect if you can't be bothered with the taste of citrusy hops and buttery malt (if only payday were TODAY so I could buy some Limbo IPA! Take that, trolls!).

01-08-2014 00:32:25 | More by Brad007

05-25-2014 02:34:31 | More by bushwack
reisingwood

Missouri

2.6/5  rDev -9.7%

I drink high gravity beers for the effect--don't get it twisted, I do enjoy a great ipa and of course everything sam adams do but because of my tolerance, I don't care for bloat. My only problem with this product is the dye that makes my poop green. It's so sweet one could hardly consider it a beer but that is ok when yer trying to slam a 24 in 5 min. for the head change. Icehouse edge is slightly more palatable than the rest of the 8%ers.

05-23-2014 17:02:07 | More by reisingwood

03-23-2014 00:58:06 | More by Falcone
iman99

Louisiana

4.63/5  rDev +60.8%

I got the 16oz for $1.25 at the downtown store by the central terminal.

I never wanted to try it because I don't like girly drinks with all the sugar

Since its 8.0 % alc I figured I give it a try although I usually go for the 8.1 % 211 or 8.5% colt 45.

I gave this a try and I was Astounded. It is almost hard to believe there is any alcohol in it because it tastes like juice. In a blind taste test between this and other grape or berry flavored carbonated drinks I don't think people would know which is the 211.

The kick you get out of it is also better than the regular 211 and colt 45 8.5%
I think its because of all the sugar and food coloring and whatever else they put in this concoction but it really gives you a quick buzz off of one 16oz can.

I don't like drinking things like this so much because they are some crazy things in there and they turn your poop greenish colored. And they are very addicting I am fighting the urge to go and get one right now. I got to stop drinking.

03-14-2014 17:07:39 | More by iman99

Kansas

03-02-2014 17:11:52 | More by mkf629
frittr

3.99/5  rDev +38.5%

Steel Reserve Blk Berry is definitely not a beer, but as a cheap way of getting drunk, it's the holy grail. It tastes like grape soda and unlike original Steel Reserve, it's not even close to disgusting. There is no head, no hoppiness, and no maltiness to speak of, because this is not a beer, and thus cannot be evaluated as such. It's just grape soda that somehow manages to get you drunk.

02-28-2014 20:46:55 | More by frittr
horsebreath

Georgia

2.98/5  rDev +3.5%

It says it is a flavored ale.
I once had a flavoured ale in England, a banana one at that, it was absolutely fantastic.
This, though...

It's your typical so called "wine cooler", this. A long drink, if you will. Rather more pleasant than "margarita in a can"- indeed, more beer based.
Flavors, aromas so artificially and sickly sweet, it actually looses its value as a genuine refreshment.
Candy floss, grape, fruit punch. Not too bad for a chemical concoction.
Not so much grain alcohol taste- a good trait considering the price.

24 fl.oz can being a what one would call "good value", is actually too much for anyone to down while still chilled, the reason being its sweetness.

Taste- nothing exciting, not downright unpleasant either.
A definite improvement over the typical wine cooler that reeks and tastes of pure grain alcohol, a very good improvement on that principle, especially for the money.

You won't miss out by not ever purchasing it.
If you do have a can, however, try to enjoy it.

02-15-2014 09:12:59 | More by horsebreath
jslice99

01-07-2014 05:36:15 | More by jslice99
Phylomatic

3.08/5  rDev +6.9%

OK. Remember I'm reviewing the style so I'm doing my best on review to think about the beer against the other misfits in this category...sigh. Here goes...

A: Uh...it's purple. Does it matter about the shade of purple? If so...maybe you shouldn't try this "beer".
S: Do you like Grapico? I do. It's a soft drink favorite of mine. I like the way this smells.
T: Imagine drinking Grapico and...uh..then imagine you were too broke to buy the real stuff and went store brand.
MF: If only Boon's Farm would carbonate a beverage.
O: Do you like candy? Have you ever thought "Damn! I wish candy still gave me the buzz it did when I was 5." I like candy.

I was forgiving because I prefer this over most other American Adjuncts.

01-02-2014 06:11:53 | More by Phylomatic
rambojr03

Iowa

3.69/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

First of all, to call this a "beer" is definitely a misnomer. To me I think it of as an "alcopop". It's sweet, tastes good, and will get you buzzed for cheap. For $1.99 (what I can get if for where I live) there's nothing even remotely close to it in both flavor and alcohol percentage (8.0 ABV). I've found myself craving these ever since I first discovered them. Yes I was reluctant with the "Steel Reserve" name, but that's not a reason to discredit it or lessen the rating.

I've mixed them with a popular Grape Energy Drink, and wow was it good! If you're looking for something to drink and aren't concerned with the character of the beer, etc. this is definitely worth the investment. Plus, it's something the "ladies" enjoy too. I've yet to have anyone tell me they haven't liked it. Of course if they see the brand name, they're reluctant to try it as I was. You pour it in a glass, and give them a taste, the reaction is always "Ummm what is this!"

For "non-beer drinkers", this would probably be a 4.25 or better. It's definitely a 3 or even 3.5 for those of us who appreciate a good beer, and appreciate it's flavor.

12-31-2013 08:18:12 | More by rambojr03