Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk Berry | Steel Brewing Company

Reviews: 27 | Ratings: 67
Reviews by Falcone:
2.25/5  rDev -23.2%

3.61/5  rDev +23.2%

I have been disinvited and ousted from New Beer Sunday so this is New CANned Beer Sunday (Week 0001) and will CANtinue for as long as I see fit as the creator of The CANQuest (TM), an ongoing, misguided attempt to review EVERY CANned beer that is commercially available. Welcome to the madness!

From the CAN: "Brewed for extra gravity & exceptionally smooth flavor".

The Crack revealed a deep, dark liquid lurking within. I waited for one or more of the Kraken's tentacles to reach up and drag me in, but when nothing happened, I initiated a Glug. It looked like Grape pop going into the glass with one profound difference - grape pop does NOT create a dense finger of purple-pink head with good retention. My uncle is a home-winemaker and it reminded me of the froth on an initial batch of Zinfandel many years ago. Color was a deep reddish-purple (SRM = N/A) with NE-quality clarity. It looked like a fresh bruise. Nose was very CANdy-like. I was reminded of a lollipop, a Charms lollipop, in fact. How utterly charming! Mouthfeel was lacking, kind of watery and thin with only a tartness really making any impact. The flavor was ... OMG! ... like a liquid lollipop! It was hiding its high gravity well, like a fan dancer or a classic striptease artist. It was back there, in there somewhere, but I was not seeing it. Finish was an odd melange of sweet, tart, fizzy, and berry-like in the sense of CANdy as being representative of fruit. Now to the basics - Would I drink it again? Probably not. It was simply too sweet for me to enjoy. Was it gagging, like some of its brethren? Not at all. It was tasty in a nostalgic way as I have not partaken of CANdy in years. Was it pretty to look at? Yes, that was its most appealing aspect. Would I share some out of a paper bag with my neighbors in the alley some sweltering summer night when no one CAN sleep anyway? Hell, yeah! Maybe spark up while we're out there, too. Make it a party. Namsayin?

4.57/5  rDev +56%

I got the 16oz for $1.25 at the downtown store by the central terminal.

I never wanted to try it because I don't like girly drinks with all the sugar

Since its 8.0 % alc I figured I give it a try although I usually go for the 8.1 % 211 or 8.5% colt 45.

I gave this a try and I was Astounded. It is almost hard to believe there is any alcohol in it because it tastes like juice. In a blind taste test between this and other grape or berry flavored carbonated drinks I don't think people would know which is the 211.

The kick you get out of it is also better than the regular 211 and colt 45 8.5%
I think its because of all the sugar and food coloring and whatever else they put in this concoction but it really gives you a quick buzz off of one 16oz can.

I don't like drinking things like this so much because they are some crazy things in there and they turn your poop greenish colored. And they are very addicting I am fighting the urge to go and get one right now. I got to stop drinking.

3.9/5  rDev +33.1%

Steel Reserve Blk Berry is definitely not a beer, but as a cheap way of getting drunk, it's the holy grail. It tastes like grape soda and unlike original Steel Reserve, it's not even close to disgusting. There is no head, no hoppiness, and no maltiness to speak of, because this is not a beer, and thus cannot be evaluated as such. It's just grape soda that somehow manages to get you drunk.

2.72/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Steel Reserve Black Cherry.

Part three of four in my fukkit I'm broke and wanna get wasted night. Blah blah blah cheap steel reserve. Blah blah blah cheap twenty four ounce can. Blah blah blah let's do it.

Look - Pours a pinkish purple type deal with minimal and quickly fucking off purpleish fizzy head that went bye bye quicker than Don Juan after getting the tuny puss after a show and slipped salt peter. Carbonation appears moderate from what I can see. No lacing due to the Donald Trump running for president esque failed hair matching his failure of a hair style. 2.5.

Smell - Smells like a wet swishers grape flavored cheap cigar. The kind you bought to break and roll up a fat blunt with back in the good ole high school days. That's about the extent of this one. Nostalgic really. 3.

Taste - Anybody remember fruit roll up gushers? It basically tastes like biting into a mouth full of random flavors straight from a pack. Alcohol is clearly noticable upon swallow. Grains cone through as well in their same cheap ass selves reminding you that this is ONCE AGAIN a steel reserve brew. 2.75

Feel - Light as the other one was with low levels of carbonation. Swallows rough due to the non-hidden alcohol. 2.

Overall - Another swing and miss by the ladies and gents outta steel reserve. Not horrible by any means, but these brews really need to be something you drink secondary to something else. Almost wish I had a nice fifth of black rum and a two liter of A&W right now. Beer would be fine to sip on between every other half swig of a mixed drink. Honestly, I likely won't even hit part four tonight. But who knows, night is still young ;). 2.75..

3.67/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

First of all, to call this a "beer" is definitely a misnomer. To me I think it of as an "alcopop". It's sweet, tastes good, and will get you buzzed for cheap. For $1.99 (what I can get if for where I live) there's nothing even remotely close to it in both flavor and alcohol percentage (8.0 ABV). I've found myself craving these ever since I first discovered them. Yes I was reluctant with the "Steel Reserve" name, but that's not a reason to discredit it or lessen the rating.

I've mixed them with a popular Grape Energy Drink, and wow was it good! If you're looking for something to drink and aren't concerned with the character of the beer, etc. this is definitely worth the investment. Plus, it's something the "ladies" enjoy too. I've yet to have anyone tell me they haven't liked it. Of course if they see the brand name, they're reluctant to try it as I was. You pour it in a glass, and give them a taste, the reaction is always "Ummm what is this!"

For "non-beer drinkers", this would probably be a 4.25 or better. It's definitely a 3 or even 3.5 for those of us who appreciate a good beer, and appreciate it's flavor.

3.09/5  rDev +5.5%

OK. Remember I'm reviewing the style so I'm doing my best on review to think about the beer against the other misfits in this category...sigh. Here goes...

A: Uh...it's purple. Does it matter about the shade of purple? If so...maybe you shouldn't try this "beer".
S: Do you like Grapico? I do. It's a soft drink favorite of mine. I like the way this smells.
T: Imagine drinking Grapico and...uh..then imagine you were too broke to buy the real stuff and went store brand.
MF: If only Boon's Farm would carbonate a beverage.
O: Do you like candy? Have you ever thought "Damn! I wish candy still gave me the buzz it did when I was 5." I like candy.

I was forgiving because I prefer this over most other American Adjuncts.

2.99/5  rDev +2%

It says it is a flavored ale.
I once had a flavoured ale in England, a banana one at that, it was absolutely fantastic.
This, though...

It's your typical so called "wine cooler", this. A long drink, if you will. Rather more pleasant than "margarita in a can"- indeed, more beer based.
Flavors, aromas so artificially and sickly sweet, it actually looses its value as a genuine refreshment.
Candy floss, grape, fruit punch. Not too bad for a chemical concoction.
Not so much grain alcohol taste- a good trait considering the price.

24 fl.oz can being a what one would call "good value", is actually too much for anyone to down while still chilled, the reason being its sweetness.

Taste- nothing exciting, not downright unpleasant either.
A definite improvement over the typical wine cooler that reeks and tastes of pure grain alcohol, a very good improvement on that principle, especially for the money.

You won't miss out by not ever purchasing it.
If you do have a can, however, try to enjoy it.

3.25/5  rDev +10.9%

2.68/5  rDev -8.5%

2.75/5  rDev -6.1%

Steel Reserve Blk Berry brewed by Steel Brrewing with an ABV of 8%. This brew pours out PURPLE in color with a small white head. The smell is fruit and grape. No brew smells at all. Reminds me of Hawiaann punch. For what it worth this brew goes down smooth for having a high ABV. Blk Berry is really sweet. I really don't consider this beer. But it is what it is. The mouthfeel is nice but it is sweet. Not bad for the price I was expecting a lot worse. Overall I'm giving this brew a 2.5 out 5. I would buy this brew again.

1.87/5  rDev -36.2%

3.25/5  rDev +10.9%

3.64/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a purple color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of sweet berries. Taste is very sweet, lots of berries, high carbonation, alcohol is very well hidden. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and considering the brewer and price point, my expectations were pretty low. This was a pleasant surprise, not bad at all.

2.25/5  rDev -23.2%

Tastes like powdered candy. Hard to really knock it for that, wasn't exactly expecting fresh fruit flavors. I've had worse craft beers.

2.42/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

A: The beer is clear but very dark purple in color (black when viewed from afar). It poured with a quarter finger high dark pink head that died down, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of fruit punch are present in the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has lots of artificial flavors of fruit punch along with some hints of blackberries. There is a moderate to high amount of sweetness.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This "beer" does a good job at hiding its alcohol, but tastes more like a spiked fruit punch than it does like a beer. The high amount of sweetness can make this a little cloying.

Serving type: can

4.7/5  rDev +60.4%

I really like this. I can have a can with a meal and it tastes amazing. It's more like ale than beer but is better than a lot of ales in its price range.

Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk Berry from Steel Brewing Company