Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk Berry - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk BerrySteel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk Berry

poor

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: woodychandler on 09-15-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Pegasus:
2.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Deep Purple (sorry, I could not resist) body, crowed by a coarse, light lilac head, which slowly fades to patches of foam. A thin ring of lace adorns the glass walls.

Aroma: A strong punch of artificial berry flavoring surges forth during the pour. I am reminded of the Crunch Berries cereal of my youth.

Taste: Strong blueberry flavor from start to finish. In fact, the flavor seems less artificial than the aroma. Somehow, it manages to taste a lot like blueberry pie. Its quite illogical, but I keep expecting to encounter blackberry seeds. Finishes with a strong, lingering blackberry note.

Mouth feel: Smooth, fairly full, soft.

Drinkability/notes: Better than I expected. While its far from world-class, its cheap and refreshing.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-four ounce aluminum can, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Sourcing: Purchased in Austin, TX in October of 2013 for $2.19 plus tax for a twenty-four ounce can.

Pegasus, Oct 19, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +73.4%

I got the 16oz for $1.25 at the downtown store by the central terminal.

I never wanted to try it because I don't like girly drinks with all the sugar

Since its 8.0 % alc I figured I give it a try although I usually go for the 8.1 % 211 or 8.5% colt 45.

I gave this a try and I was Astounded. It is almost hard to believe there is any alcohol in it because it tastes like juice. In a blind taste test between this and other grape or berry flavored carbonated drinks I don't think people would know which is the 211.

The kick you get out of it is also better than the regular 211 and colt 45 8.5%
I think its because of all the sugar and food coloring and whatever else they put in this concoction but it really gives you a quick buzz off of one 16oz can.

I don't like drinking things like this so much because they are some crazy things in there and they turn your poop greenish colored. And they are very addicting I am fighting the urge to go and get one right now. I got to stop drinking.

iman99, Mar 14, 2014
2.98/5  rDev +11.6%

It says it is a flavored ale.
I once had a flavoured ale in England, a banana one at that, it was absolutely fantastic.
This, though...

It's your typical so called "wine cooler", this. A long drink, if you will. Rather more pleasant than "margarita in a can"- indeed, more beer based.
Flavors, aromas so artificially and sickly sweet, it actually looses its value as a genuine refreshment.
Candy floss, grape, fruit punch. Not too bad for a chemical concoction.
Not so much grain alcohol taste- a good trait considering the price.

24 fl.oz can being a what one would call "good value", is actually too much for anyone to down while still chilled, the reason being its sweetness.

Taste- nothing exciting, not downright unpleasant either.
A definite improvement over the typical wine cooler that reeks and tastes of pure grain alcohol, a very good improvement on that principle, especially for the money.

You won't miss out by not ever purchasing it.
If you do have a can, however, try to enjoy it.

horsebreath, Feb 15, 2014

tdm168, Nov 12, 2013

norinco, May 29, 2014

avisong, Jun 08, 2014
2.75/5  rDev +3%

Steel Reserve Blk Berry brewed by Steel Brrewing with an ABV of 8%. This brew pours out PURPLE in color with a small white head. The smell is fruit and grape. No brew smells at all. Reminds me of Hawiaann punch. For what it worth this brew goes down smooth for having a high ABV. Blk Berry is really sweet. I really don't consider this beer. But it is what it is. The mouthfeel is nice but it is sweet. Not bad for the price I was expecting a lot worse. Overall I'm giving this brew a 2.5 out 5. I would buy this brew again.

nicholas2121, Sep 10, 2014

Kreizler, Jul 19, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

dhannes, Jul 08, 2014
3.63/5  rDev +36%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a purple color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of sweet berries. Taste is very sweet, lots of berries, high carbonation, alcohol is very well hidden. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and considering the brewer and price point, my expectations were pretty low. This was a pleasant surprise, not bad at all.

tone77, Sep 21, 2013

mkf629, Mar 02, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -15.7%

Tastes like powdered candy. Hard to really knock it for that, wasn't exactly expecting fresh fruit flavors. I've had worse craft beers.

largadeer, Oct 22, 2014

Darwinbms, Jul 09, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -6.4%

DonDonLongJohn, Oct 25, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -34.5%

kguyty, Nov 15, 2013
2.03/5  rDev -24%

A: Pours a clear deep purple in color (not dissimilar to grape juice or grape Kool-Aid) with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation and faint bright purple and garnet red highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy lavender head that quickly reduces to a medium thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of artificial grape and blackberry with a very heavy amount of sugar (kind of reminds of Grape Crush soda)..

T: Upfront this beer is very sweet with strong flavors of highly sweetened artificial grape (like in soda) and just a hint of blackberry. Light amounts of alcohol and just a hint of bitterness in the finish which fades almost immediately.

M: Light to medium bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: Alcohol is well hidden but this is a beer for people that do not like the taste of beer - kind of reminds me of Purple Passion from the 80s/90s... Not nearly as bad as I was expecting though definitely too sweet for me. Maybe it would be better from a clear plastic 2 liter bottle vs. the giant aluminum can.

dbrauneis, Sunday at 09:01 PM
3.58/5  rDev +34.1%

I have been disinvited and ousted from New Beer Sunday so this is New CANned Beer Sunday (Week 0001) and will CANtinue for as long as I see fit as the creator of The CANQuest (TM), an ongoing, misguided attempt to review EVERY CANned beer that is commercially available. Welcome to the madness!

From the CAN: "Brewed for extra gravity & exceptionally smooth flavor".

The Crack revealed a deep, dark liquid lurking within. I waited for one or more of the Kraken's tentacles to reach up and drag me in, but when nothing happened, I initiated a Glug. It looked like Grape pop going into the glass with one profound difference - grape pop does NOT create a dense finger of purple-pink head with good retention. My uncle is a home-winemaker and it reminded me of the froth on an initial batch of Zinfandel many years ago. Color was a deep reddish-purple (SRM = N/A) with NE-quality clarity. It looked like a fresh bruise. Nose was very CANdy-like. I was reminded of a lollipop, a Charms lollipop, in fact. How utterly charming! Mouthfeel was lacking, kind of watery and thin with only a tartness really making any impact. The flavor was ... OMG! ... like a liquid lollipop! It was hiding its high gravity well, like a fan dancer or a classic striptease artist. It was back there, in there somewhere, but I was not seeing it. Finish was an odd melange of sweet, tart, fizzy, and berry-like in the sense of CANdy as being representative of fruit. Now to the basics - Would I drink it again? Probably not. It was simply too sweet for me to enjoy. Was it gagging, like some of its brethren? Not at all. It was tasty in a nostalgic way as I have not partaken of CANdy in years. Was it pretty to look at? Yes, that was its most appealing aspect. Would I share some out of a paper bag with my neighbors in the alley some sweltering summer night when no one CAN sleep anyway? Hell, yeah! Maybe spark up while we're out there, too. Make it a party. Namsayin?

woodychandler, Sep 15, 2013

Maillard, May 27, 2014

253BadHabit, Nov 14, 2014

bushwack, May 25, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

This isn't my typical go to drink other than if I wanted to get smashed for cheap, but I was quite surprised. It tastes like gummy fruit snacks, and you really get no alcohol taste going down. It's surprisingly smooth, I'd take this over a four Loko anyday. I liked it, but it might get too sugary for some

Lou22, Oct 21, 2014
1.68/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

The "Alloy Series" eh? Oh sweet Jesus. Expectations could not be lower; this stuff sounds dreadful. 8.0% ABV confirmed. 24 fl oz purple/white aluminum can acquired at me local corner store for $2.19 USD about 3 minutes ago and served into a Spaten bierkrug in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live.

Served cold - straight from the store's fridge. Side-poured with below average vigor as overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a purple-grey head. It's about two fingers in width. Pathetically thin. Poor creaminess and frothiness. One could argue it's vaguely redolent of certain hues of vomit. No lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is average - about two minutes.

Body colour is a disconcerting weak purple-brown. Nontransparent; quasitranslucent. No yeast particles are visible.

I'm withholding judgment. I did expect it to look worse, in fairness.

Sm: Oh boy. Artificial grape syrup, artificial blackberry syrup/extract, cane sugar, heavy caramelization, cola (think one of those Mountain Dew monstrosities from the mid 2000s), and raisin. No hop character, yeast, character, or really malt character is present. To be fair, it's fake as shit. I'm definitely turned off and am dreading trying this.

A foul aroma of moderate strength. Awful in a style that constantly finds new ways to be awful.

T: Artificial grape extract/syrup, artificial blackberry extract/syrup, cola notes, heavy sugary sweetness, and notes redolent of one of those discount fruity fortified wines (cisco, 20/20, buckfast). Lightly tart. Aside from the crisp carbonation, there's next to nothing here to suggest that this is actually a beer; I get no hop character, no malt character, no yeast character, and frankly very little alcohol - which is easily its strongest selling point. This would be a great beer for a high school junior's post-homecoming party, and might get one the favour of the Dirty Debbie therein. But it's not cut out for us beer folk, and while it isn't repugnant per se, it's quite terribly built. In its defense, it could easily be more medicinal and cough syrup-esque than it is. I think many reviewers will trash this beer merely because of the concept, but it isn't as downright offensive as something like Budweiser Chelada. We've got to give credit where credit's due.

Horrible imbalance, horrible build. Zero complexity, zero subtlety. Shallow depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour for the style.

I definitely wouldn't say I like it, but I think I'll be able to finish the entire 24 fl oz - which is saying something. Remind me to take my insulin shot at the halfway point.

Mf: Overcarbonated. Overly thick and viscous. A biteen coarse, but mostly smooth and wet. Abysmal presence on the palate. Poor body. Doesn't suit the style well at all, but I guess it's an okay match for the flavour profile. It could certainly be worse - sludgy, harsh, boozy. In fairness, this "beer" does hide its 8.0% ABV well.

Dr: Oh boy. It's diabetes in a can, but it's stomachable. I'm not promising I'll finish it, but I'm confident that I could with effort - that's more than I can say about a couple beers in this style. Ultimately, its biggest problem is that it tastes nothing like a beer and more like a fratboy alcopop. I definitely wouldn't buy it again, but it's good to see Steel Brewing (i.e. Miller) trying to experiment with some variety. As a guilty fan of regular Steel Reserve, I think I can actually say this was disappointing.

Ultimately, it's a terrible concept for a beer in the first place, and the shudder I felt when I saw it forced me to buy it just to see what we were dealing with. Yes, it's garbage, but it's not quite as garbage as it sounds. Let's be fair: it hides its ABV pretty well. Might do well mixed with a plastic bottle vodka brand if you're looking for a cheap dirty buzz and a mean hangover. Let's be polite and say it has its place.

High F