Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk Berry - Steel Brewing Company

Steel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk BerrySteel Reserve (Alloy Series) Blk Berry

Steel Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: woodychandler on 09-15-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by sgttibbs:
sgttibbs

03-02-2014 19:55:46 | More by sgttibbs
iman99

Louisiana

4.63/5  rDev +63.6%

I got the 16oz for $1.25 at the downtown store by the central terminal.

I never wanted to try it because I don't like girly drinks with all the sugar

Since its 8.0 % alc I figured I give it a try although I usually go for the 8.1 % 211 or 8.5% colt 45.

I gave this a try and I was Astounded. It is almost hard to believe there is any alcohol in it because it tastes like juice. In a blind taste test between this and other grape or berry flavored carbonated drinks I don't think people would know which is the 211.

The kick you get out of it is also better than the regular 211 and colt 45 8.5%
I think its because of all the sugar and food coloring and whatever else they put in this concoction but it really gives you a quick buzz off of one 16oz can.

I don't like drinking things like this so much because they are some crazy things in there and they turn your poop greenish colored. And they are very addicting I am fighting the urge to go and get one right now. I got to stop drinking.

03-14-2014 17:07:39 | More by iman99
horsebreath

Georgia

2.98/5  rDev +5.3%

It says it is a flavored ale.
I once had a flavoured ale in England, a banana one at that, it was absolutely fantastic.
This, though...

It's your typical so called "wine cooler", this. A long drink, if you will. Rather more pleasant than "margarita in a can"- indeed, more beer based.
Flavors, aromas so artificially and sickly sweet, it actually looses its value as a genuine refreshment.
Candy floss, grape, fruit punch. Not too bad for a chemical concoction.
Not so much grain alcohol taste- a good trait considering the price.

24 fl.oz can being a what one would call "good value", is actually too much for anyone to down while still chilled, the reason being its sweetness.

Taste- nothing exciting, not downright unpleasant either.
A definite improvement over the typical wine cooler that reeks and tastes of pure grain alcohol, a very good improvement on that principle, especially for the money.

You won't miss out by not ever purchasing it.
If you do have a can, however, try to enjoy it.

02-15-2014 09:12:59 | More by horsebreath

3.25/5  rDev +14.8%

07-07-2014 23:32:30 | More by dhannes
tone77

3.63/5  rDev +28.3%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a purple color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of sweet berries. Taste is very sweet, lots of berries, high carbonation, alcohol is very well hidden. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and considering the brewer and price point, my expectations were pretty low. This was a pleasant surprise, not bad at all.

09-21-2013 03:39:22 | More by tone77
mkf629

Kansas

03-02-2014 17:11:52 | More by mkf629
Darwinbms

07-09-2014 03:16:03 | More by Darwinbms
Pegasus

2.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance: Deep Purple (sorry, I could not resist) body, crowed by a coarse, light lilac head, which slowly fades to patches of foam. A thin ring of lace adorns the glass walls.

Aroma: A strong punch of artificial berry flavoring surges forth during the pour. I am reminded of the Crunch Berries cereal of my youth.

Taste: Strong blueberry flavor from start to finish. In fact, the flavor seems less artificial than the aroma. Somehow, it manages to taste a lot like blueberry pie. Its quite illogical, but I keep expecting to encounter blackberry seeds. Finishes with a strong, lingering blackberry note.

Mouth feel: Smooth, fairly full, soft.

Drinkability/notes: Better than I expected. While its far from world-class, its cheap and refreshing.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-four ounce aluminum can, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Sourcing: Purchased in Austin, TX in October of 2013 for $2.19 plus tax for a twenty-four ounce can.

10-19-2013 00:02:44 | More by Pegasus

1.75/5  rDev -38.2%

11-15-2013 20:46:50 | More by kguyty
woodychandler

3.58/5  rDev +26.5%

I have been disinvited and ousted from New Beer Sunday so this is New CANned Beer Sunday (Week 0001) and will CANtinue for as long as I see fit as the creator of The CANQuest (TM), an ongoing, misguided attempt to review EVERY CANned beer that is commercially available. Welcome to the madness!

From the CAN: "Brewed for extra gravity & exceptionally smooth flavor".

The Crack revealed a deep, dark liquid lurking within. I waited for one or more of the Kraken's tentacles to reach up and drag me in, but when nothing happened, I initiated a Glug. It looked like Grape pop going into the glass with one profound difference - grape pop does NOT create a dense finger of purple-pink head with good retention. My uncle is a home-winemaker and it reminded me of the froth on an initial batch of Zinfandel many years ago. Color was a deep reddish-purple (SRM = N/A) with NE-quality clarity. It looked like a fresh bruise. Nose was very CANdy-like. I was reminded of a lollipop, a Charms lollipop, in fact. How utterly charming! Mouthfeel was lacking, kind of watery and thin with only a tartness really making any impact. The flavor was ... OMG! ... like a liquid lollipop! It was hiding its high gravity well, like a fan dancer or a classic striptease artist. It was back there, in there somewhere, but I was not seeing it. Finish was an odd melange of sweet, tart, fizzy, and berry-like in the sense of CANdy as being representative of fruit. Now to the basics - Would I drink it again? Probably not. It was simply too sweet for me to enjoy. Was it gagging, like some of its brethren? Not at all. It was tasty in a nostalgic way as I have not partaken of CANdy in years. Was it pretty to look at? Yes, that was its most appealing aspect. Would I share some out of a paper bag with my neighbors in the alley some sweltering summer night when no one CAN sleep anyway? Hell, yeah! Maybe spark up while we're out there, too. Make it a party. Namsayin?

09-15-2013 16:08:24 | More by woodychandler
Maillard

05-27-2014 05:06:49 | More by Maillard
bushwack

Alabama

05-25-2014 02:34:31 | More by bushwack
kojevergas

1.68/5  rDev -40.6%

The "Alloy Series" eh? Oh sweet Jesus. Expectations could not be lower; this stuff sounds dreadful. 8.0% ABV confirmed. 24 fl oz purple/white aluminum can acquired at me local corner store for $2.19 USD about 3 minutes ago and served into a Spaten bierkrug in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live.

Served cold - straight from the store's fridge. Side-poured with below average vigor as overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a purple-grey head. It's about two fingers in width. Pathetically thin. Poor creaminess and frothiness. One could argue it's vaguely redolent of certain hues of vomit. No lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is average - about two minutes.

Body colour is a disconcerting weak purple-brown. Nontransparent; quasitranslucent. No yeast particles are visible.

I'm withholding judgment. I did expect it to look worse, in fairness.

Sm: Oh boy. Artificial grape syrup, artificial blackberry syrup/extract, cane sugar, heavy caramelization, cola (think one of those Mountain Dew monstrosities from the mid 2000s), and raisin. No hop character, yeast, character, or really malt character is present. To be fair, it's fake as shit. I'm definitely turned off and am dreading trying this.

A foul aroma of moderate strength. Awful in a style that constantly finds new ways to be awful.

T: Artificial grape extract/syrup, artificial blackberry extract/syrup, cola notes, heavy sugary sweetness, and notes redolent of one of those discount fruity fortified wines (cisco, 20/20, buckfast). Lightly tart. Aside from the crisp carbonation, there's next to nothing here to suggest that this is actually a beer; I get no hop character, no malt character, no yeast character, and frankly very little alcohol - which is easily its strongest selling point. This would be a great beer for a high school junior's post-homecoming party, and might get one the favour of the Dirty Debbie therein. But it's not cut out for us beer folk, and while it isn't repugnant per se, it's quite terribly built. In its defense, it could easily be more medicinal and cough syrup-esque than it is. I think many reviewers will trash this beer merely because of the concept, but it isn't as downright offensive as something like Budweiser Chelada. We've got to give credit where credit's due.

Horrible imbalance, horrible build. Zero complexity, zero subtlety. Shallow depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour for the style.

I definitely wouldn't say I like it, but I think I'll be able to finish the entire 24 fl oz - which is saying something. Remind me to take my insulin shot at the halfway point.

Mf: Overcarbonated. Overly thick and viscous. A biteen coarse, but mostly smooth and wet. Abysmal presence on the palate. Poor body. Doesn't suit the style well at all, but I guess it's an okay match for the flavour profile. It could certainly be worse - sludgy, harsh, boozy. In fairness, this "beer" does hide its 8.0% ABV well.

Dr: Oh boy. It's diabetes in a can, but it's stomachable. I'm not promising I'll finish it, but I'm confident that I could with effort - that's more than I can say about a couple beers in this style. Ultimately, its biggest problem is that it tastes nothing like a beer and more like a fratboy alcopop. I definitely wouldn't buy it again, but it's good to see Steel Brewing (i.e. Miller) trying to experiment with some variety. As a guilty fan of regular Steel Reserve, I think I can actually say this was disappointing.

Ultimately, it's a terrible concept for a beer in the first place, and the shudder I felt when I saw it forced me to buy it just to see what we were dealing with. Yes, it's garbage, but it's not quite as garbage as it sounds. Let's be fair: it hides its ABV pretty well. Might do well mixed with a plastic bottle vodka brand if you're looking for a cheap dirty buzz and a mean hangover. Let's be polite and say it has its place.

High F

10-06-2013 03:59:09 | More by kojevergas
rambojr03

Iowa

3.69/5  rDev +30.4%

First of all, to call this a "beer" is definitely a misnomer. To me I think it of as an "alcopop". It's sweet, tastes good, and will get you buzzed for cheap. For $1.99 (what I can get if for where I live) there's nothing even remotely close to it in both flavor and alcohol percentage (8.0 ABV). I've found myself craving these ever since I first discovered them. Yes I was reluctant with the "Steel Reserve" name, but that's not a reason to discredit it or lessen the rating.

I've mixed them with a popular Grape Energy Drink, and wow was it good! If you're looking for something to drink and aren't concerned with the character of the beer, etc. this is definitely worth the investment. Plus, it's something the "ladies" enjoy too. I've yet to have anyone tell me they haven't liked it. Of course if they see the brand name, they're reluctant to try it as I was. You pour it in a glass, and give them a taste, the reaction is always "Ummm what is this!"

For "non-beer drinkers", this would probably be a 4.25 or better. It's definitely a 3 or even 3.5 for those of us who appreciate a good beer, and appreciate it's flavor.

12-31-2013 08:18:12 | More by rambojr03

2.5/5  rDev -11.7%

01-07-2014 05:36:15 | More by jslice99
flagmantho

Washington

Poured from 24oz can into a pint glass. This is the 8.0% version. Trying out all the Steel offerings today; my expectations are not high.

Appearance: it's like the commercial where the kids have a choice between Sunny D and "purple stuff". This is the purple stuff.

Smell: this smells in no way like beer; it's more like lightly carbonated grape soda with some SweeTarts dissolved in it.

Taste: and that's pretty much what it tastes like, too. You might maybe guess that this has a malt liquor base, but mostly it's sugar. A real MIP magnet.

Mouthfeel: thin and watery with a little bit of carbonation. Not great.

Overall: this isn't really a beer; it's a malt-derived alcopop. As a beer, it is horrible; perhaps a 0 on the 1-5 scale. As a candylike alcohol delivery system, it is pretty decent; a 3 perhaps.

08-30-2014 23:35:51 | More by flagmantho
Brad007

Vermont

2.95/5  rDev +4.2%

I normally don't review "alcopops". However, I was too intrigued with this product not to purchase it. After reading some reviews, I have some thoughts of my own.

Pours a color that resembles Nehi Grape soda with just a touch of foam into my glass. Normally, you should guzzle this stuff straight from the can.

Smells like a sweet tart candy more than anything. Grape and what I can only describe as "tropical punch". Even though it's fake, I still find my nose being drawn in further.

Sickly sweet upfront with lots of grape. On second though, not Nehi, but more like a sparkling grape juice. The beer part? Practically non-existent. I realize that perhaps grape isn't enough as this is supposed to be a blackberry alcopop. It's there, but barely.

Weird, chemical aftertaste peppers the tongue. Very thin.

Before I assign a number, there are two questions to think about:

1. Is this a beer? Does it have beer characteristics?
2. Is this an alcopop? Does it excel at being such?

For the first question, this is certainly not a beer. The beer is the "base" for all the artificial colors/flavors.

As for the second question? This product excels at being an alcopop. It is tolerable and perfect if you can't be bothered with the taste of citrusy hops and buttery malt (if only payday were TODAY so I could buy some Limbo IPA! Take that, trolls!).

01-08-2014 00:32:25 | More by Brad007