Peche 'n Brett - Logsdon Farmhouse Ales

Peche 'n BrettPeche 'n Brett

Logsdon Farmhouse Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  10.00% ABV

Our Seizoen Bretta oak aged and loaded with tons of local organic peaches (a pound and a half per gallon).

First released in 750ml bottles May 2012.
Second release in January 2013.
Third Release - February 2014

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-08-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by hopsbreath:
hopsbreath

Oregon

Re-reviewed 1-11-2013
Batch 2 750ml bottle, number P2024, best by 12/2017. Split into a pair of tulip glasses and shared with TulipSnifter. After lamenting in the forums about how I was unable to find a bottle I had no less than 4 BA's offer one of theirs before receiving a hot tip about where to find one still on the shelf. My faith in humanity is restored.

Since I gave a well formatted review with batch one I'm going to be a little less technical with this one. I grew up in a rural part of Tennessee and my dad loved to garden. We didn't farm as a way of making money but instead grew fruits and vegetables for our own enjoyment. I hated picking green beans but I loved eating peaches off our six peach trees.

Sniffing this beer took me back to my childhood smelling those fresh peaches. I don't think I've smelled a peach or apricot beer with a nose as fragrantly fruity as this. A hint if that tangy Brett funks things up too.

Taste-wise the peach is more delicate but still noticeable. I don't recall batch 1 being all that different from regular Seizoen Bretta except for the addition of the peach and some oak notes. I even said it probably wasn't worth twice as much. This beast on the other hand, has more of that overly ripe Brett and what I think might be some bug juice lending light tartness that I found in Oak Aged Bretta and loved. Although I didn't care for the "American Wild Ale" designation on batch 1, I find it totally appropriate here.

Really a fantastic beer and worthy of the big price tag. Much improved upon an already excellent first iteration. I'm now an Oregonian so that makes me a homer but I'm really not able to find a single thing I'd like improved on. Logsdon just leapfrogged Upright as my favorite saison producer in the state and there's absolutely no reason not to consider them as one of the best saison brewer's on earth from my perspective.

5-13-2012 4.43 overall score

At the time of this review, this is listed as an American Wild Ale. I mention that because I don't think that's the correct designation. Picked up saison yeast and brettanomyces, but I'm not sure there are any 'wild' bugs in the bottle. Picked up the 750ml bottle at John's Marketplace for $20 a week ago today (the day after it won gold at the World Beer Cup). Flinched for a moment at the price since regular Seizoen Bretta is only $10, but grabbed it anyway since I'm a fan of the style and the brewery. Bottle #P 544 (if that matters) split into a pair of Duvel tulips and shared with TulipSnifter.

A: Nice pulpy mango puree appearance in the glass, big fluffy white head is a good sign of carbonation for such a high ABV/bottle conditioned beer, minimal spotty lacing.

S: Peach is instantly noticeable on the nose. Black pepper spice notes and barnyard from the Seizoen Bretta base are also easily appreciated.

T: Bitter peach skin is more apparent than the sweet peach flesh and that's a good thing since it adds a layer of complexity. Good wood, nice funk, cracker base malt. Alcohol is extremely well hidden. No way I would have guessed this a point over 8%. Very dry with minimal residual sweetness. No real discernible sourness. A little tartness is there but I'm attributing that to the natural twang found in the fresh fruit instead of lactic acid. I'd classify this as a fruited saison with brett but not a sour/wild. If there are some bugs in there they haven't manifested themselves yet.

M: A full silky body with a dry/crisp finish. Appropriate scrubbing carbonation helps with the clean finish. Very well attenuated and exactly what I want in a saison.

O: Grading as a saison, it's very good. I enjoy it a little more than the base beer, but not for twice the cash. Not that price is a problem with this beer. If you saw it on the shelf and didn't buy a bottle, you already missed your chance. Recommended if the opportunity presents itself.

05-13-2012 03:48:27 | More by hopsbreath

07-19-2014 19:01:33 | More by amano_h
ejeffer11

07-19-2014 18:48:57 | More by ejeffer11

4.35/5  rDev -2%

A: Cloudy orange, practically opaque. It has the appearance of mango nectar.

S: A big blast of funky saison yeast, brett breath, sweet peaches, and pears.

T: Boozy. The alcohol appears prominently at the front and is then joined by dry, yeasty funk, grass, and . The peaches only appear on the finish. No tartness.

M: Thick but dry. The alcohol heat leaves a trail from throat to stomach.

O: Not sure what to think about this given how long it took me to chase it down. It's definitely good but the flavor isn't as complex as I was led to expect.

07-16-2014 03:18:33 | More by 01001111

07-14-2014 20:45:13 | More by farnold
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.46/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle poured into tulip 13/7/14 bottle #4676 BB 01/2019 big thanks to Rutager for the bottle

A cloudy orange liquid, I can only see a few bubbles but there's plenty in there somewhere as it pumps out a dense three finger foam that has great retention leaving rings deep down the glass

S massive peach nose, smells juicy as hell, some apricots, pear, green apple, doughy, mild funk and wood but for the most its fresh peaches, smells awesome I wouldn't change a thing

T more wood and funk and less of the massive peachy notes I was loving on the nose, still tastes great but then nose was a very hard act to follow

M heavy side of medium, a little tart, just stays on the creamy side of foam, no booze on the way down, wood, brett, and peaches linger faintly for ages

O smells amazing, the booze is completely hidden, way too easy drinking, very well put together, everything meshes together beautifully

This one hit the spot, the nose is unbelievable, 10% is completely hidden, not sure if I'd age this one with the peaches kicking ass right now, another one of those beers I want to drink the day its bottled and five years down the road.

07-13-2014 18:44:48 | More by wordemupg