Peche 'n Brett - Logsdon Farmhouse Ales

Peche 'n BrettPeche 'n Brett

Logsdon Farmhouse Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  10.00% ABV

Our Seizoen Bretta oak aged and loaded with tons of local organic peaches (a pound and a half per gallon).

First released in 750ml bottles May 2012.
Second release in January 2013.
Third Release - February 2014

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-08-2012)
Reviews by hopsbreath:

Re-reviewed 1-11-2013
Batch 2 750ml bottle, number P2024, best by 12/2017. Split into a pair of tulip glasses and shared with TulipSnifter. After lamenting in the forums about how I was unable to find a bottle I had no less than 4 BA's offer one of theirs before receiving a hot tip about where to find one still on the shelf. My faith in humanity is restored.

Since I gave a well formatted review with batch one I'm going to be a little less technical with this one. I grew up in a rural part of Tennessee and my dad loved to garden. We didn't farm as a way of making money but instead grew fruits and vegetables for our own enjoyment. I hated picking green beans but I loved eating peaches off our six peach trees.

Sniffing this beer took me back to my childhood smelling those fresh peaches. I don't think I've smelled a peach or apricot beer with a nose as fragrantly fruity as this. A hint if that tangy Brett funks things up too.

Taste-wise the peach is more delicate but still noticeable. I don't recall batch 1 being all that different from regular Seizoen Bretta except for the addition of the peach and some oak notes. I even said it probably wasn't worth twice as much. This beast on the other hand, has more of that overly ripe Brett and what I think might be some bug juice lending light tartness that I found in Oak Aged Bretta and loved. Although I didn't care for the "American Wild Ale" designation on batch 1, I find it totally appropriate here.

Really a fantastic beer and worthy of the big price tag. Much improved upon an already excellent first iteration. I'm now an Oregonian so that makes me a homer but I'm really not able to find a single thing I'd like improved on. Logsdon just leapfrogged Upright as my favorite saison producer in the state and there's absolutely no reason not to consider them as one of the best saison brewer's on earth from my perspective.

5-13-2012 4.43 overall score

At the time of this review, this is listed as an American Wild Ale. I mention that because I don't think that's the correct designation. Picked up saison yeast and brettanomyces, but I'm not sure there are any 'wild' bugs in the bottle. Picked up the 750ml bottle at John's Marketplace for $20 a week ago today (the day after it won gold at the World Beer Cup). Flinched for a moment at the price since regular Seizoen Bretta is only $10, but grabbed it anyway since I'm a fan of the style and the brewery. Bottle #P 544 (if that matters) split into a pair of Duvel tulips and shared with TulipSnifter.

A: Nice pulpy mango puree appearance in the glass, big fluffy white head is a good sign of carbonation for such a high ABV/bottle conditioned beer, minimal spotty lacing.

S: Peach is instantly noticeable on the nose. Black pepper spice notes and barnyard from the Seizoen Bretta base are also easily appreciated.

T: Bitter peach skin is more apparent than the sweet peach flesh and that's a good thing since it adds a layer of complexity. Good wood, nice funk, cracker base malt. Alcohol is extremely well hidden. No way I would have guessed this a point over 8%. Very dry with minimal residual sweetness. No real discernible sourness. A little tartness is there but I'm attributing that to the natural twang found in the fresh fruit instead of lactic acid. I'd classify this as a fruited saison with brett but not a sour/wild. If there are some bugs in there they haven't manifested themselves yet.

M: A full silky body with a dry/crisp finish. Appropriate scrubbing carbonation helps with the clean finish. Very well attenuated and exactly what I want in a saison.

O: Grading as a saison, it's very good. I enjoy it a little more than the base beer, but not for twice the cash. Not that price is a problem with this beer. If you saw it on the shelf and didn't buy a bottle, you already missed your chance. Recommended if the opportunity presents itself.

hopsbreath, May 13, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to anadune for this one, super high up there on my "wants" list, glad to finally see this one go. I love peaches and I love Brett, so this beer should do me well. Pours a brilliant sunburst color with hints of golden-peach flowing about. Cloudy and opaque for the most part with a foamy white head that has decent retention.

Whoof! Talk about funk! The aroma hits hard, right out of the gate, and doesn't let up. Copious amounts of Brett just unleash and unload on the senses - barnyard funk, damp cellar, and wet hay. And then, of course, the peaches! There's a vibrant peach presence that underlines the funky body of the beer - it's sweet, juicy, and authentic, and perhaps most importantly - it's not overdone at all. Rather than control or overtake the aroma, the peaches just accent it, and inject their juicy goodness in a moderate but noticeable amount, a nearly perfect complement to the barnyard funk. Sweet and funky all at once - how can you not love that? The oak can be found once you "search" for it, and once you find it, it doesn't go away. Beautiful woody tones round out this excellently aromatic profile. Exquisite.

I couldn't have been more excited to finally bring this one to my lips... as soon as it hits my palate, the funk just plants itself in my mouth and never lets go. This bitch is SUPER funky; tons of barnyard, horsey sweat, musty earth, cheesy-funk... Absolutely crazy. The oak makes a big comeback and tastes much more robust than it smelled - works perfectly with the insane amounts of Brett that are going wild right now. And then again - just like an epiphany similar to the aroma - the peaches just squeeze their way in, quietly and unobtrusively, adding just the right amount of presence and flavor. Seriously, they could not have been added to this beer in a more perfect amount. Enough to tame the Brett and keep your taste buds working, but not enough to overpower and turn this thing into a peach cobbler.

I wouldn't necessarily describe this beer as "sour", but there certainly is a light tartness that hits you initially with the onslaught of Brett. By the time the peaches take the forefront, the tartness will have faded and the beer takes on a lovely sweetness that nicely combines with (and is probably aided by) the peach flavors. My friend and I were surprised to find out this beer was clocking in at 10% ABV - there's just no possible way that much alcohol can be masked so well. Honestly, this drinks just as easily as the Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen gueuzes we had previously, and those contain nearly half the alcohol. Peche n' Brett has a medium body; sharp, slick, and wet mouth feel with a medium-high amount of carbonation.

Wow, what a truly unique and amazing beer. Perfect amount of peaches and a nice compliment to their wonderful Brett profile. I thought this one was a huge improvement over the Seizoen Bretta (although that was still very good). Took me by surprise, but I hope I'll have the chance to enjoy this one again. Top notch.

tectactoe, Mar 31, 2013

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle (2012)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, cavemanlawyer!

Hazy golden orange and peach in color with a quickly forming, persistent near-white head. High carbonation, as this one started bubbling over the bottle's lip upon cracking. This leaves the glass absolutely sticky with a thick film of lace down the glass. Gorgeously sticky!

A complex, marvelous, balanced, delicate, yet bold aroma. The Brett yeast is toned down when compared side-by-side with the straight Bretta version, though here it's marvelously complementary as opposed to in your face. The addition of the peach and additional wood notes is striking yet delicate. This is a peach/funk/earth lollipop. Yes, please!

Peach and white fruits dominate, as initially this beer almost seems too sweet. It doesn't take long to realize that it isn't, as there's a very nice earthy and funky bitterness that complements the ripe peach notes, along with a hint of wood and even more barnyard funk.

Medium bodied, creamy, with moderate-high carbonation.

Simply phenomenal. I wish I could drink this by the barrel.

ehammond1, Aug 05, 2012

sourdog, Apr 04, 2014

Cynic-ale, Apr 08, 2014

jtladner, Jun 01, 2014
4.35/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Cloudy orange, practically opaque. It has the appearance of mango nectar.

S: A big blast of funky saison yeast, brett breath, sweet peaches, and pears.

T: Boozy. The alcohol appears prominently at the front and is then joined by dry, yeasty funk, grass, and . The peaches only appear on the finish. No tartness.

M: Thick but dry. The alcohol heat leaves a trail from throat to stomach.

O: Not sure what to think about this given how long it took me to chase it down. It's definitely good but the flavor isn't as complex as I was led to expect.

01001111, Jul 16, 2014

stereosforgeeks, Aug 12, 2013

jpbebeau, Oct 18, 2013
4.36/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

S - Lots of peach, lactic acid, light grassy presence to it 4.25

T - Good peach presence to it up front that is balanced with a nice funky Brett and a slight lemon tartness. The finish is where the more wild aspects shine through as the Brett and sour make themselves more known.

M - Light carbonation with a nice dry finish

O - Really a great peach Saison that balances well between the peach and the sour and funky presence.

jeonseh, Aug 11, 2013