Peche 'n Brett - Logsdon Farmhouse Ales

Logsdon Farmhouse Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-08-2012

Our Seizoen Bretta oak aged and loaded with tons of local organic peaches (a pound and a half per gallon).

First released in 750ml bottles May 2012.
Second release in January 2013.
Third Release - February 2014
Reviews: 139 | Hads: 1,035

Re-reviewed 1-11-2013
Batch 2 750ml bottle, number P2024, best by 12/2017. Split into a pair of tulip glasses and shared with TulipSnifter. After lamenting in the forums about how I was unable to find a bottle I had no less than 4 BA's offer one of theirs before receiving a hot tip about where to find one still on the shelf. My faith in humanity is restored.

Since I gave a well formatted review with batch one I'm going to be a little less technical with this one. I grew up in a rural part of Tennessee and my dad loved to garden. We didn't farm as a way of making money but instead grew fruits and vegetables for our own enjoyment. I hated picking green beans but I loved eating peaches off our six peach trees.

Sniffing this beer took me back to my childhood smelling those fresh peaches. I don't think I've smelled a peach or apricot beer with a nose as fragrantly fruity as this. A hint if that tangy Brett funks things up too.

Taste-wise the peach is more delicate but still noticeable. I don't recall batch 1 being all that different from regular Seizoen Bretta except for the addition of the peach and some oak notes. I even said it probably wasn't worth twice as much. This beast on the other hand, has more of that overly ripe Brett and what I think might be some bug juice lending light tartness that I found in Oak Aged Bretta and loved. Although I didn't care for the "American Wild Ale" designation on batch 1, I find it totally appropriate here.

Really a fantastic beer and worthy of the big price tag. Much improved upon an already excellent first iteration. I'm now an Oregonian so that makes me a homer but I'm really not able to find a single thing I'd like improved on. Logsdon just leapfrogged Upright as my favorite saison producer in the state and there's absolutely no reason not to consider them as one of the best saison brewer's on earth from my perspective.

5-13-2012 4.43 overall score

At the time of this review, this is listed as an American Wild Ale. I mention that because I don't think that's the correct designation. Picked up saison yeast and brettanomyces, but I'm not sure there are any 'wild' bugs in the bottle. Picked up the 750ml bottle at John's Marketplace for $20 a week ago today (the day after it won gold at the World Beer Cup). Flinched for a moment at the price since regular Seizoen Bretta is only $10, but grabbed it anyway since I'm a fan of the style and the brewery. Bottle #P 544 (if that matters) split into a pair of Duvel tulips and shared with TulipSnifter.

A: Nice pulpy mango puree appearance in the glass, big fluffy white head is a good sign of carbonation for such a high ABV/bottle conditioned beer, minimal spotty lacing.

S: Peach is instantly noticeable on the nose. Black pepper spice notes and barnyard from the Seizoen Bretta base are also easily appreciated.

T: Bitter peach skin is more apparent than the sweet peach flesh and that's a good thing since it adds a layer of complexity. Good wood, nice funk, cracker base malt. Alcohol is extremely well hidden. No way I would have guessed this a point over 8%. Very dry with minimal residual sweetness. No real discernible sourness. A little tartness is there but I'm attributing that to the natural twang found in the fresh fruit instead of lactic acid. I'd classify this as a fruited saison with brett but not a sour/wild. If there are some bugs in there they haven't manifested themselves yet.

M: A full silky body with a dry/crisp finish. Appropriate scrubbing carbonation helps with the clean finish. Very well attenuated and exactly what I want in a saison.

O: Grading as a saison, it's very good. I enjoy it a little more than the base beer, but not for twice the cash. Not that price is a problem with this beer. If you saw it on the shelf and didn't buy a bottle, you already missed your chance. Recommended if the opportunity presents itself.

I'm not really into peach, never had a beer with peach I liked before. But Peche n Brett is just wow. I'm eager to grab the Seizoen Bretta now and taste the base beer.

So.... Freaking.... Good...... Great balance of peach sweetness and the tangy sourness that the beer offers. This is a must get if ever found in a local store.

OMG, I cannot believe I did not review this initially when I rated it! Yes, I loved this beer, the best peach ever and I am dying to get hold of some more. Nice woody tone to literally buckets of peaches hides that 10% well. A full body of flavor and texture.

WoW! Just Wow! What an amazing beer!

The beer looks light amber golden peach color with fair amount of froth.

Smell is completely off the hook.. This is the fresh batch and the beer just stinks of peaches...

Taste wise this beer is mind blowing... Taste is that light frothy creamy Belgium type unfilter feel x Snapple Peach Tea.

This beer does not taste any where near 10%...

Sticky, sweet, delicious micro bubbles of peach goodness...

Overal this beer fires off on all cylinders.. Cant wait to age taste it aged!

This is like biting into a peach. Rounding out with a lingering brett funk on the tongue. A light refreshing brew that is perfectly balanced. Hype free on this.

This beer might be as good as it gets for me especially in terms of style. Logsdon makes an unreal saison. Their brett version is one of my top ten beers I've had and I love peaches. This beer delivered all of that. The color of the body almost had a peach skin note to it. The beer smells of fresh peaches. The taste is everything that is great about Seizoen Bretta but with beautful peach and floral notes. I can't recommend this enough and can't wait to get myself a bottle.

4.96/5  rDev +12.2%

This beer is exactly what it says it is.

Reviewers that are looking for a very tart wild ale will think that this doesn't live up the hype, but this beer never claims that. This is a saison with brett, crammed into an oak barrel and then fermented with peaches and then pear juice.

The nose is perfectly fragrant with peaches and brett.

The fruit comes through perfectly and plays harmoniously with the brett.

This beer is so delicate, that you have to close your eyes while you sip so that your senses are opened to the mastery that this liquid is.

To me, this beer is perfect because I can read a fucking label.

4.91/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this one at a share. WOW as soon as poured you can smell those peaches. Like peach nectar. Very cloudy tall white head but just huge aromas of sour peach and like a blue cheese funk. Taste was baby food. Tart peach baby food is the only way I can really describe this one. Loved it.

4.89/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into a long stemmed tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.
Bottle No. 9363
Best by: 04/2019

Pours a gorgeous hazy pale golden color with some nice hints of orange. A nice white half inch head form with this brew. Dense and bright with some nice sticky lacing forming along the glass.

Aroma is straight sweet peach. So amazingly delicious nose. Notes of mild sugary sweetness with some nice dry funk perceived. Mild tartness on the nose. The nice notes of juice and some wood are present.

The flavor notes are fruity with notes of peach and pear juice. Softness and funky brett character are present in the flavor with some nice mild tartness. Notes of wood are present with some nice sugary sweetnes. Great dry notes. Chalky and soft yeast notes with some good carbonation.

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

2013 bottle poured into a Hill Farmstead stem. Thanks Zane!

Pour: Hazy, bright orange. Two fingers of fluffy white head from and leaves some heavy, thick lacing. Fantastic looking beer.

Smell: Woah! Big peach and pears up front, as well as some pineapple, mango, and grapefruit. A very pronounced funk. Hints of sweet breadyness enter, but only just. This just smells perfect, and maybe the best smelling beer I've ever had.

Taste: Big peaches up front, that quickly subside into lactic tartness and a very earthy brett funk. Lemon, white grape tannins, and pear. The Seizoen Bretta base is undeniable through the mid-palate. Finishes with tart peaches and pear, more funk, and a dry white wine barrel oak.

Mouthfeel: Insanely juicy. No hints of alcohol whatsoever. Goes down very easily, and finishes quite dry.

Overall: This is a top tier wild ale, no doubt. I think I prefer Mimosa a tad more, and Oak Aged Bretta more than both. I absolutely will be seeking this out again soon.

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very hazy amber pour with a nice two finger head that sticks around for quite awhile before receding to a lasting ring. Palate is peachy, spicy, moderately funky, with a beautiful balance among the three. The tartness is somewhat restrained, but its level works perfectly. One of the best peach sours I’ve had the privilege to enjoy.

4.87/5  rDev +10.2%

2015 bottle. Peaches, mango, pineapple, and farmhouse all dance together on the nose. Flavors come out as such with a nice touch of drying acidity thanks to the Brett. Alcohol is well hidden. Lovely beer! Can't wait to have it next year!

4.84/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Bottle #P2563 / Best by Dec-2017

750mL poured into stemless wine glass.

Loads of peach upfront that wasn't overbearing. Followed by the fruity farmhouse, yeasty flavors that brought out a mild acidity and low sourness. As classified as a wild ale, I expected more tartness but this level was all good. The oak added a nice depth of tannic mellowness. The oak may also have to do with the hints of vanilla detected. Very impressive.

EDIT: Beer was previously classified as a wild ale before it was corrected.

Bottle #5513 / Best by Jan-2019

750mL poured into Lost Abbey Teku on 7-Mar-14

Less peachy and more saison apple-tartness than I remember, but still very enjoyable. Dangerously drinkable at 10% ABV. My wife really liked it. One of the best farmhouse ales, at least Top 3, that I ever enjoyed.

4.81/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer really changed by opinion on what a saison can taste like. Tons of peach flavor with a nice tart finish. The brett brings in a great element as well.

4.81/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle No. P3746 (from the January 2013 IIRC, celleared upon release). Poured into my large St. Feuillien goblet, Peche 'n Brett is chill hazed burnt gold with a creamy, tight bubbled white head leaving sheets of foamy lace.

Smell is gorgeously soft, sweet peaches and pear nectar. The brett flutters through the fruit oh so subtly, adding just a touch of depth. Really fantastic.

Taste is also soft, the peach evident yet softened by the drying brett, which is really rather clean, while still making it's presence known. Perhaps just a touch understated, but the delicate nuance really adds the drinkability.

Mouthfeel is soft and dry, with fine carbonation.

Drinkability is high, it's really hard to believe this is 10% ABV. Not to mention how subtle the brett and sweetness from the fruits are, no palate wrecker here, just extremely balanced. What an elegant beer, fantastic.

4.81/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Pours a very hazy and bright orange in color in the body. A head of about 1.5 fingers forms and retains for days, with pretty awesome lacing. The head is frothy and dense on top of the hazy body.

S- The peaches and brett hit the nose right away in a combo platter of juicy fruit and funk. There is a spicy element in the funk that is consistent with the flavor of the base beer. The peaches are a touch tart on the nose, but they are predominantly just juicy and fruity.

T- Starts off with a mild bang of semi-tart peaches. Just like in the scent, the peaches are more juicy and mild than tart. The spicy and funky base beer mixes in with the peaches and provides a depth of flavor. The funk picks up a little at the end of the drink and mixes with the peaches and gives an overall fruit orchard impression of the flavor.

M- Although the style of this beer is one generally associated with a light weight feel and high carbonation, this beer drinks incredibly smoothly. The carbonation is fairly high, but the weight of the beer makes this one feel way more smooth than the carbonation. There is no sign of the 10% ABV.

Overall, this is a fantastic fruited saison. I wasn't sure how I would like the peaches in the base since I didn't especially like the base beer, but the spice and funk really mellows and enhances the natural flavor of the fruit. This is a terrific beer.

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014 PnB poured from a 750 mL bottle I received in a trade with sonsofauerbach into a 12 oz North Coast tulip glass.

L: Delicious and juicy right on sight. A fully opaque cloudiness in a beautiful orange that belies the peaches within this beer. A rich and frothy head of many fingers on the pour that recedes into one finger of consistent head.

S: May be one of the best things about this beer, its almost floral at first. Followed quickly be juicy peaches. Followed at the end of brett mixed with oak. I think some of the floralness is from the pear juice its refermented with. Fantastic.

T: Tastes just like it smells (which if you saw above is obviously a good thing). This bottle is a year old now, and maybe it hasn't developed fully, but I still get a lot of oak and brett and not so much peaches, thats why only a 4.75. This beer is GREAT. I just don't get the peaches that much so not the perfect score here. Also, I do taste the 10% on this.

F: Well done, as all Logsdon beers are, almost champagne like in many ways, maybe even prosecco with such fine carbonation. It's light, yet sticks to the right parts of your palate and begs for another sip.

O: I'm really happy with this beer. I'd been chasing it for a month or so, and it certainly didn't disappoint. Some reviews overplayed how peach tasting this would be, and for that it was a SLIGHT disappointment, but for what it was I am FAR from disappointed. Will be looking for this years version when it comes out.

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

A beautiful and delicious beer, full of peach taste and especially aroma. It's an amplified version of Seizoen Bretta which is already one of my favorite beers. The brett dryness and fruity taste are perfectly balanced. What's especially wild is that the beer's appearance is opaque and pulpy from all the peach bits floating around in it. Just don't expect a ridiculously strong and sweet peach juice taste, as this is still certainly a brett beer that just happens to have peach as one of its main ingredients. It's all in perfect balance here, and they clearly hit what they were going for. And this really doesn't taste like 10%, I could drink it all day. Crisp, fizzy, fruity, funky, just delicious.

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Peach aroma but not overpowering peach taste. Perfect balance of tart, sweet and funk. Delicate mouthfeel. Even though the ABV is high, you do not get an alcohol taste - I could drink this beer all day long.

4.73/5  rDev +7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Looks incredible - a hazy orange/pink. Orange julius-like
Nose is awesome! so much peach, deep rich sugars and more peach!
I'm drinking a peach right now - squeezed into my mouth- one of my most unique saisons I've ever had. Lots of funky-nectarine-peach goodness. So good!
Mouthfeel is nice, slightly acidic and good carbonation. light dry finish - crisp
Overall - you need to try this beer if you haven't already - you will not forget it!

4.72/5  rDev +6.8%

Bottle (2012)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, cavemanlawyer!

Hazy golden orange and peach in color with a quickly forming, persistent near-white head. High carbonation, as this one started bubbling over the bottle's lip upon cracking. This leaves the glass absolutely sticky with a thick film of lace down the glass. Gorgeously sticky!

A complex, marvelous, balanced, delicate, yet bold aroma. The Brett yeast is toned down when compared side-by-side with the straight Bretta version, though here it's marvelously complementary as opposed to in your face. The addition of the peach and additional wood notes is striking yet delicate. This is a peach/funk/earth lollipop. Yes, please!

Peach and white fruits dominate, as initially this beer almost seems too sweet. It doesn't take long to realize that it isn't, as there's a very nice earthy and funky bitterness that complements the ripe peach notes, along with a hint of wood and even more barnyard funk.

Medium bodied, creamy, with moderate-high carbonation.

Simply phenomenal. I wish I could drink this by the barrel.

4.72/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An orchard in a glass. Lovely, fragrant nose that is pure, high summer peaches. The color is a golden amber, not unlike a Bellini. The taste is very fruit forward -- one of the biggest peach-flavored beers I've had this side of Chez Monus. You can almost feel the peach juice dribbling down your chin. Absolutely lovely. The sweet peach is firmed up by a bit of Brett funkiness and the barrel oak. This is as close to summer as you are going to get after a long, cold winter. Great beer, but I think I still might prefer the Seizoen Bretta a bit more. The subtleties of the saison are drowned out a bit by the intense peachiness. Still, a great beer.

4.71/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My first Logsdon's beer that really didn't gush after cracking it. Gorgeous cloudy orange juice color with fine, scattered beading. An appropriate finger of bone white head forms pinpoint lacing and noticeable booze legs before settling back to form a thin cap on the beer. Absolutely stunning just to look at.

Bold, semisweet peach explodes from the glass. Floral, incredibly fresh fruit flesh melded with sour white grape, pear skins and a mildly acidic citrus quality.

Wow. I really didn't know what to expect on the palate... Like nothing else I can think of... It's a work of art. Bright orange and peach flavors collide with dry funky Brett, fresh oak and juicy pear.

Wonderfully soft velvet consistency provides the perfect vehicle for the flavors described.

Big thanks to harrymel for this gem!

4.71/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750ml bottle into tulip. Second release, best by 01/2019.

A: As with every other bottle of Logsdon I’ve opened, this was a gusher. Or at least it would have been had I not bled some foam off the cap. Anyway, this beer pours a hazy dirty orange color with a fluffy and thick bright white head that faded into a very fuzzy and thick film and collar. A sheet of thick lace was left down the glass.
S: Huge juicy notes of fresh peach mix beautifully with earthy, peppery and musty notes of brett and damp oak. Both sweet and juicy, dry and spicy.
T: Earthy, yeasty and spicy flavors of brett with musty, dry and woody notes of oak. The finish is slightly funky and slightly bitter. I get a touch of acidic lemon, pear, and stinky cheese as well. The peach is there but not as juicy as the nose. There are flavors of peach pits and other stone fruits in the finish and aftertaste, as well as buttery oak and gritty tannins. Peach is sweet at times, but the oaked saision and brett balance most of it out.
M: Medium-full body, airy fluffy and soft carbonation, with a drying, lightly bitter, and fluffy mouthfeel. Drinks very well. Double digit alcohol is masked extremely well.
O: One of the better saisons I’ve had. Fruity, funky, spicy, earthy, buttery and dry. I can see why this is so highly regarded. Having never had this aged, I’d still say drink fresh. The brett would develop further, but at the cost of the peach. Wish I had more. Cheers.

Peche 'n Brett from Logsdon Farmhouse Ales