Taiwan Beer - Taiwan Tobacco & Liquor Corporation

Taiwan BeerTaiwan Beer

poor

Taiwan Tobacco & Liquor Corporation visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-26-2003)
Reviews by biokid23:
biokid23

02-03-2014 21:58:16 | More by biokid23
RoyalT

1.35/5  rDev -43.8%

Appearance – Very light orange in color with little head.

Smell – The odor is very mild here, but I can pick up some rotten mowed grass and Band-Aids.

Taste – Oh, this is horrid. The Band-Aids carry the day at the taste, and there’s some sort of God-awful flavor here that curdles the cheeks. I don’t know what it is. It’s kind of like a very flat, stale, weak soda.

Mouthfeel – The cheap fizzy mouthfeel is thankfully offset by a bit of dryness, but this is no picnic.

Sinkability – This is slightly better than the Caguama Light that I had earlier today, but it’s a close race.

03-03-2004 03:01:37 | More by RoyalT

1.75/5  rDev -27.1%

10-08-2012 12:59:54 | More by intoxabroad
pmcadamis

2.83/5  rDev +17.9%

I picked this up at an Asian market in St. Louis while traveling with my Taiwanese buddy and our girlfriends. We were down there to pick up some good Asian food and beverages, and I found this on the trip.

A - A big fluffy head rises above a dull honey hued brew, but recedes pretty fast. Some random lace is left behind. Nothing much to look at here, but the head is much better than most brews of this style. Why is it that any basic lager is called American-Macro-Lager? It seems that the Asian and Mexican beers, though similar to BMC, are usually quite a bit more flavorful, and have much more substantial heads.

S - Snappy hops lend this a crisp and biting note, and the bubbly carbonation tickles my nose hairs. Some really nice saaz notes are there, along with a crisp sea-salt air aroma that makes this refreshing on the nose. There is an almost lemon-rind note too. I'm impressed!

T - This is pretty assertive for a usually weak style. This has loads of crisp wheaty-twang and witbier-like hops along with some added spice. The malt notes are honey and light fruit focused, and all of the flavors aren't shy about showing themselves. This is really pretty damn good stuff!

M - Light bodied, crisp, and refreshing with a heavier feel than most macro lagers. You can tell that there is some weight behind the ingredients in this brew.

D - I honestly wasn't expecting much from this beer, and I'm pleasantly surprised! This is not overly complex, but it has some really solid flavors going for it, and it's extremely thirst quenching and refreshing. Wow!

Note: Saw this on Wikitravel.org "A wide variety of imported beers are available, but the standard is Taiwan Beer 台灣啤酒, produced by a former government monopoly. It is brewed with fragrant penglai rice in addition to barley giving it a distinctive flavor."

Sp that's what that flavor is! I like it!

03-16-2008 00:08:50 | More by pmcadamis
tempest

3.08/5  rDev +28.3%

Found this at Euro Market and for $1.69 and couldn't pass up the label. It's almost entirely clean, but there's a very mild sour tang. Otherwise there's a sweet, pale barley kick with light berry fruit and a crisp, dry finish. The beer as the body of your regular premium beer, though the carbonation is a touch lighter. It's not bad by any stretch, just a plain, good for the style, adjust lager like Stroh's or Narragansett.

03-03-2012 03:49:23 | More by tempest
HalfFull

3.13/5  rDev +30.4%

Poured from a 600ml. brown pry off bottle into a pint glass. Pours a medium straw in color, quite clear, and with a half inch of just off white head. Offers typical or better retention and lacing and without any floaties some others experienced.

Semi sweet malts on the nose with a notable sweet rice component. Light noble hop presence. Overall quite light on the nose and without any detractions at the same time. Hops more prominent after some air. Closer to a Euro. Pale Lager in style.

Taste follows the nose with sweet grains dominant though not coarse or bready. Slight citrus finish lingers briefly. Carbonation is good but does thin out a bit after some time, yielding a light creaminess. Sweetness doesn't deter drinkability as this beer isn't really that sweet, only that it's malt profile is somewhat simple and singular in its approach. Actually quite smooth and light and drinks easily.

10-27-2009 02:27:48 | More by HalfFull
uravms

2.75/5  rDev +14.6%

07-22-2014 11:31:48 | More by uravms
tone77

3.45/5  rDev +43.8%

Still on vacation and tryting my only non Japanese beer here in Tokyo. Poured from a green 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit on the skunky side, imagine that, damn green bottles. Taste is crisp, grains, some malts, very refreshing. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a pretty good example of this style.

06-20-2013 05:41:11 | More by tone77
ChrisCage

Alberta (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev +47.9%

Beer #2 of 11 reviewed that were brought back from a trip by my in laws to China.

A- Looks like pretty much every other brew that I've seen/consumed from the Orient. Straw like coloring, crystal clear and lots of carbonation rising to the top. The head was actually about an inch thick before settling fairly quick into a thin layer over the beer. Thin lacing attempts to cling to the side of my glass before ever so slowly sliding back into the liquid...not bad; not bad though.

S- The aromas are better than expected, being primarily of sweet malt and cooked vegetables. It is something that is different but I can't quite put my finger on it, but it is more fragrant than I would have expected, very husky/grainy but on a fresher scale. No hopped bitterness noticeable. Overall not a bad aroma...just slightly different, which is good for an Asian lager.

T- Much like the aroma, the flavor isn't all that bad! It has the aforementioned sweet malts and the uniqueness of this is that it has a sweet & tart grainyness to it....I took a quick break and found out that it's made with a special "ponlai" rice which must give it the fragrant aroma/taste that I'm experiencing...an ever mild hop bitterness graces the finish.

M- Thin and watery, much like I expected from this style/area of the world. The rice malt gives this a unique finish that sticks to the palate like paste....otherwise it is clean and refreshing.

D- This is one good Asian adjunct lager and I agree that it is more like a Euro pale than the adjunct character it's labeled as. This actually has some flavor and is easy to down, and I'd especially think this is true in hot humid weather. Definitely give this a try if you come across it!

10-02-2010 01:58:26 | More by ChrisCage
Philabeerphia

2.8/5  rDev +16.7%

Taiwan pijio! ok, i admit that its been almost 2 years since I drank this beer while living in Taiwan. This goes totally against the Alstrom "tips" of review. but since this is a bottom of the barrel macro, I figure I'll indulge...
So I won't attempt to specifically review, but rather recall my memory of this brew. It got me through some rough evenings, better than many American macro lagers I've met. more body than the lites, on par with a PBR in my mind. best had when cold and icy. Ok, I admit that this was a clearly below average brew experience. but i learned that if you drop salted prunes into the beer, it is a little more adventurous and palatable. All in all, can't knock it for what it is. replace this beer at a frat party and nobody would know the difference.
I have to agree with reviewer below that this beer not only compliments taiwanese cuisine, but also the bin lan and paolyta habits i picked up.
for nostalgia's sake, I wish I could get this in the US.. apparently others have found it? I'd like to find out where, and buy a sixer.
THX

02-14-2008 02:40:19 | More by Philabeerphia
mrcraft

06-22-2014 02:50:44 | More by mrcraft
CpnYates

2.93/5  rDev +22.1%

Someone reviewed this beer as Taiwan's Coor's Light. Probably right, and here (or at least here defining the few blocks I am willing to walk in each direction from my hotel) this passes as a pretty good option. Taiwan is not a beer mecca, and during the hot humid days Taiwan beer and it's non-offensive and light qualities hit the spot. Worth a try while in Taiwan, even if for nothing else than being cheap. And this version is much better than the lager.

07-27-2009 09:56:50 | More by CpnYates
JohnGalt1

Idaho

2.08/5  rDev -13.3%

Douglas88 sent this up in trade.. shared with the normal folks...

12oz can .... Pale yellow... short lasting white head... no lacing.

Nose is pale grains and nothing else.

Flavor is standard "Bud very light" .... probably lesser Bud... but we are getting down to a scale where "Bad=Bad".

Drink this before you drink the water... I guess.

Nothing good to say, but really, what should you expect?

This review will probably be much better than the BA average, but I have to say.... for what I was ready for, this was better.

Thanks Doug for a new country. :-)

2.5/2/2/2.5/2

03-25-2012 07:43:58 | More by JohnGalt1
matjack85

3.13/5  rDev +30.4%

I found this 1 pint 4.2oz brown bottle at the Binny's store in Bloomingdale, IL for $3.49. This will be my first beer from Taiwan. No freshness date, but I want to note that the label design on the bottle version looks nothing like the design on the can.

The beer pours a clear pale gold color and makes a 1½-finger dish soap looking white head that fades in less than a minute back to a thin white rim. Very little lacing on this one.

The beer has a mild lager smell - nothing offensive, but nothing interesting either. Faint sweet malt and even fainter hop presense, but at least there is some.

Not bad, not great. On par with the majority of the big popular macro brews. Mild malt sweetness balanced with a touch of bitterness from the hops.

Light body with crisp carbonation.

I'd drink it again if offered, but I see no reason to go out and buy it at US prices, but I could see drinking it if I visited or lived in Taiwan.

02-16-2012 07:39:45 | More by matjack85
dbaker61

2.13/5  rDev -11.3%

Brew Date: Sept. 8, 2010. Best by Sept. 8, 2011.

Appearance: Pale yellow color, had less than a finger of soapy-looking foam from a vigorous pour. Short retention time, leaving a thin ring of bubbles. Very little lacing.

Smell: Very light sweet aroma, somewhere between malt and rice.

Taste: Just on the bitter side of the sweet-bitter dichotomy. Can definitely taste some rice in there. A fairly typical, and unexciting adjunct lager.

Mouthfeel: Not much. Has about the same body as water. Crisp finish, adequate carbonation.

Overall: Another ho-hum adjunct lager. Nothing special about this one. I think I'll pass on this one next time; there are just so many better beers to have.

04-23-2011 14:07:24 | More by dbaker61
BodyPolitic

2.75/5  rDev +14.6%

07-01-2014 02:45:08 | More by BodyPolitic
Amalak

2.18/5  rDev -9.2%

A. Clearish semi-dark gold color. See through with lots of bubbles. There's a slight bubbly white head but dissipates quickly and no lace.

S. Very, very mild malt scent.

T/M. It's your basic malty lager. Basically an American macro. But not sour. It's carbonated and bubbly. Light body.

O. It's your basic, mass-produced lager. Nothing special, but not horrible like some of the American Macros you might find.

01-23-2013 20:25:11 | More by Amalak
metter98

2.38/5  rDev -0.8%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a very slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin head that quickly died down, leaving only delicate lacing covering the surface.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of musty corn in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has a light amount of bitterness. It’s not skunky, just musty.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has a good amount of flavors compared to others in the style, except that the taste isn’t that good.

08-06-2012 01:34:11 | More by metter98
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

1.2/5  rDev -50%

I have to agree with ism, the design on this blue and white can screams communist utilitarianism, hearkening back a good 30-50 years in style as well. The beer itself is a pale hazy straw colour, a flash of fizzy white head that reminds me of pop. The aroma is a bit boozy, thin like the smell of fermented corn or rice. The flavour is pure sweet rice adjunct, absolutely characterless, somewhat like the packaging. The mouthfeel is thin and watery and quite lifeless. No pulse at all to this beer. If you see it on the shelf, no matter how it is priced, just keep walking.

04-04-2004 16:37:54 | More by IronDjinn
civicm87

05-30-2013 00:23:00 | More by civicm87
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Green bottle, 600ml, claiming to be a Gold Medal Beer, whoever voted for this beer was got at!

Paler than a pale thing, on international pale day, this lager looked like Euro fizz, but even paler, light, no very light, almost a see through watery, urine after a heavy day of drinking Bitburger (you must be pissed if you think I've done that).

Taste-less, aroma-less, mouthfeel-less, drinkable-less etc, etc.

If I am stuck in an Island with a dead bloke and a crate of this beer, I would drink rain water before I would open a bottle of Taiwan Beer.

01-14-2007 23:23:50 | More by BlackHaddock
twiggamortis420

2.8/5  rDev +16.7%

Pretty sure this is my first Taiwanese beer, and what a treat it is, lol. 22 oz bomber pours a crystal clear gold color with a decent cap of white head. Fades fast initially, but leaves a nice sheen and at least a bit of lacing.

Nose is corn-a-licious. Wow, is there any malted barley in here? The can I saw in the store said so, it must be true :) No hops and there is a pretty substantial sweetness. Does not smell nearly as offensive as a Budweiser for what thats worth. The back label of my bottle claims 'It is our mission to bring one of the best and distinctive flavored lager beers to people throughout the world who enjoy this universal brew'...thats awfully nice of the Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor Corporation, dont you think?

The taste is more offensive than the nose, unfortunately. The sweetness is out of control and seriously needs some hops for at least a semblance of balance. It is adjunct laden, and nearly corn syrup-esque. Not good, but it does taste decently fresh and I will be able to finish my 22 oz sample. I cant wait to try the Gold Medal Taiwan beer I bought to go along with this treasure. For an AAL it is not entirely foul.

05-26-2012 17:44:46 | More by twiggamortis420