Taiwan Beer - Taiwan Tobacco & Liquor Corporation

poor

Taiwan Tobacco & Liquor Corporation visit their website
Taiwan

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Taiwan Beer Alström Bros

Danuel, Sep 22, 2014

edwardkersh, Jan 19, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +50.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can acquired from a friend's collection in Ghent, Belgium. Poured into a Malheur goblet. Reviewed from notes.

A: Half finger of poor retention. Very thin and devoid of cream. Clear yellow colour.

Sm: Buttery and hoppy. Treated butterscotch mixed with barley. A very light strength scent.

T: Cream on the finish is lovely. Very well built. Balanced nice body featuring a surprising amount of hops. Very good. Nowhere near what I expected from the comparatively poor appearance. Notes are indistinct, but form a more complex beer in a sort of "whole is more than the sum of its parts" approach. A different approach to brewing, and one I think may be lost on other reviewers.

Mf: Buttery, smooth, and wet - but not too much.

Dr: I'd have another. This is the best Asian beer I've ever had. I assume it's affordable in Taiwan.

kojevergas, Jun 02, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +47.3%

Beer #2 of 11 reviewed that were brought back from a trip by my in laws to China.

A- Looks like pretty much every other brew that I've seen/consumed from the Orient. Straw like coloring, crystal clear and lots of carbonation rising to the top. The head was actually about an inch thick before settling fairly quick into a thin layer over the beer. Thin lacing attempts to cling to the side of my glass before ever so slowly sliding back into the liquid...not bad; not bad though.

S- The aromas are better than expected, being primarily of sweet malt and cooked vegetables. It is something that is different but I can't quite put my finger on it, but it is more fragrant than I would have expected, very husky/grainy but on a fresher scale. No hopped bitterness noticeable. Overall not a bad aroma...just slightly different, which is good for an Asian lager.

T- Much like the aroma, the flavor isn't all that bad! It has the aforementioned sweet malts and the uniqueness of this is that it has a sweet & tart grainyness to it....I took a quick break and found out that it's made with a special "ponlai" rice which must give it the fragrant aroma/taste that I'm experiencing...an ever mild hop bitterness graces the finish.

M- Thin and watery, much like I expected from this style/area of the world. The rice malt gives this a unique finish that sticks to the palate like paste....otherwise it is clean and refreshing.

D- This is one good Asian adjunct lager and I agree that it is more like a Euro pale than the adjunct character it's labeled as. This actually has some flavor and is easy to down, and I'd especially think this is true in hot humid weather. Definitely give this a try if you come across it!

ChrisCage, Oct 02, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +43.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Still on vacation and tryting my only non Japanese beer here in Tokyo. Poured from a green 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit on the skunky side, imagine that, damn green bottles. Taste is crisp, grains, some malts, very refreshing. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a pretty good example of this style.

tone77, Jun 20, 2013
3.35/5  rDev +39%

Poured from a 10.14 oz. bottle into a pint glass at low altitude.

A: Pours a very light crystal clear yellow like any other adjunct, with a pithy white head that fades to nothing and leaves no lacing at all.

S: A faint smell of malt without much of anything else. Not a strong smell by any means.

T: Better on this front. Malt and other grain notes up front followed by the slightest hint of hops. Although the flavor isn't very strong, it's quite well balanced and clean; it doesn't taste watered down and finishes with a nice bitterness.

M: Imagine a slightly less carbonated version of club soda.

D: For what it's worth, I think this is quite a nice representation of the style. That said, I'm not sure the difference in quality between this one and cheaper adjuncts makes up for the price premium.

schlimenhaumer, Oct 16, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +39%

I think I have a different perspective on this beer. I tried it on tap during a dinner at a hotel in Taipei when I was in Taiwan lecturing at the National College of Physical Education a couple of years ago. My rating may have been influenced by the atmosphere and my first real family style "Chinese" meal, which was unbelievable. I found the beer to be very pale yellow in color and have little to offer in the aroma, but it was tasty. There was a marked lager maltiness and it went very well with the somewhat spicy food I was eating. I don't know about the export version, but if you are in Taiwan I would encourage you to give it a try. I would encourage you to be aware that the servers never allow your glass to empty. I didn't realize how much I had until I stood up after the meal.

strengthdoc, Jun 21, 2009
3.28/5  rDev +36.1%

A: Served in a can ... I was a bit lazy and decided not to pour it into a glass. I would figure it's a similar color to other rice beers, but I'm not sure as it when from can, to palate, to beer belly.

S: The nose is a bit more complex than "typical" Asian beers ... i.e. rice beers ... but mostly a dry nose with a very light hint of hops.

T: I had actually bought this as a novelty, but was pleasantly surprised with this beer. Though it's not mind-blowing, it is a decent style for a lager beer. Unlike other rice beers I've consumed that are dry and sometimes lacking in flavor, Taiwan Beer is much maltier. The malts really fill in for the "lack" of body other rice beers suffer from. It's a little sweet, but the dryness balances it out decently.

M: Light with a nice carbonation

D: I liked this beer. It goes very well with Asian food (go figure), especially Chinese and Thai dishes. I could definitely see myself knocking back a six pack of this ... a solid session beer. Plus, at $4.99 a sixer ... you can't lose!!

Jaynuze, Nov 30, 2006
3.25/5  rDev +34.9%

thebummedgardener, May 25, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +34.9%

SEG1975, Feb 20, 2013
3.18/5  rDev +32%

Who can believe such beautiful packaging could come from the one true China?! To Taiwan's independence!
The clearest straw beer I've ever seen. I can see my fingerprint all the way through the glass. Incredible. Pours a nice white head that dissipates quickly, effervescence from the bottom of the glass continues to push bubbles throughout this wonderful experience.
Very little aroma, a little malt and rice. Slight sweetness.
On this hot day, the beer is delicious. Not great, but delicious. The rice is noticeable but not offputting. Hops are very low but there is a bitterness at the beginning.
Overall, a solid hot summer daytime beer. Cheers to independence!

dragonWhale, Jul 16, 2011
3.13/5  rDev +29.9%

Poured from a 600ml. brown pry off bottle into a pint glass. Pours a medium straw in color, quite clear, and with a half inch of just off white head. Offers typical or better retention and lacing and without any floaties some others experienced.

Semi sweet malts on the nose with a notable sweet rice component. Light noble hop presence. Overall quite light on the nose and without any detractions at the same time. Hops more prominent after some air. Closer to a Euro. Pale Lager in style.

Taste follows the nose with sweet grains dominant though not coarse or bready. Slight citrus finish lingers briefly. Carbonation is good but does thin out a bit after some time, yielding a light creaminess. Sweetness doesn't deter drinkability as this beer isn't really that sweet, only that it's malt profile is somewhat simple and singular in its approach. Actually quite smooth and light and drinks easily.

HalfFull, Oct 27, 2009
3.13/5  rDev +29.9%

I found this 1 pint 4.2oz brown bottle at the Binny's store in Bloomingdale, IL for $3.49. This will be my first beer from Taiwan. No freshness date, but I want to note that the label design on the bottle version looks nothing like the design on the can.

The beer pours a clear pale gold color and makes a 1½-finger dish soap looking white head that fades in less than a minute back to a thin white rim. Very little lacing on this one.

The beer has a mild lager smell - nothing offensive, but nothing interesting either. Faint sweet malt and even fainter hop presense, but at least there is some.

Not bad, not great. On par with the majority of the big popular macro brews. Mild malt sweetness balanced with a touch of bitterness from the hops.

Light body with crisp carbonation.

I'd drink it again if offered, but I see no reason to go out and buy it at US prices, but I could see drinking it if I visited or lived in Taiwan.

matjack85, Feb 16, 2012
3.13/5  rDev +29.9%

I actually liked it for a regular beer. Pours to that fizzy yellow beer look with a little bit of a head. Smell was nothing special, it reminded me of American macros. Taste was not too bad, as I said I would drink it on the regular. Very light bodied, I guess a bit watery, laced with slight malty flavor. Can definitely taste the water through it. Mouthfeel is fine, a little bit coating but not special, no aftertaste, especially when eating Chinese food.

whtguitarguy, Dec 23, 2009
3.08/5  rDev +27.8%

Found this at Euro Market and for $1.69 and couldn't pass up the label. It's almost entirely clean, but there's a very mild sour tang. Otherwise there's a sweet, pale barley kick with light berry fruit and a crisp, dry finish. The beer as the body of your regular premium beer, though the carbonation is a touch lighter. It's not bad by any stretch, just a plain, good for the style, adjust lager like Stroh's or Narragansett.

tempest, Mar 03, 2012

Jason, Apr 11, 2013

oregonskibum, Aug 14, 2014

RedneckBeerz, Feb 13, 2013

Mebuzzard, Aug 07, 2014
2.93/5  rDev +21.6%

Someone reviewed this beer as Taiwan's Coor's Light. Probably right, and here (or at least here defining the few blocks I am willing to walk in each direction from my hotel) this passes as a pretty good option. Taiwan is not a beer mecca, and during the hot humid days Taiwan beer and it's non-offensive and light qualities hit the spot. Worth a try while in Taiwan, even if for nothing else than being cheap. And this version is much better than the lager.

CpnYates, Jul 27, 2009
2.83/5  rDev +17.4%

I picked this up at an Asian market in St. Louis while traveling with my Taiwanese buddy and our girlfriends. We were down there to pick up some good Asian food and beverages, and I found this on the trip.

A - A big fluffy head rises above a dull honey hued brew, but recedes pretty fast. Some random lace is left behind. Nothing much to look at here, but the head is much better than most brews of this style. Why is it that any basic lager is called American-Macro-Lager? It seems that the Asian and Mexican beers, though similar to BMC, are usually quite a bit more flavorful, and have much more substantial heads.

S - Snappy hops lend this a crisp and biting note, and the bubbly carbonation tickles my nose hairs. Some really nice saaz notes are there, along with a crisp sea-salt air aroma that makes this refreshing on the nose. There is an almost lemon-rind note too. I'm impressed!

T - This is pretty assertive for a usually weak style. This has loads of crisp wheaty-twang and witbier-like hops along with some added spice. The malt notes are honey and light fruit focused, and all of the flavors aren't shy about showing themselves. This is really pretty damn good stuff!

M - Light bodied, crisp, and refreshing with a heavier feel than most macro lagers. You can tell that there is some weight behind the ingredients in this brew.

D - I honestly wasn't expecting much from this beer, and I'm pleasantly surprised! This is not overly complex, but it has some really solid flavors going for it, and it's extremely thirst quenching and refreshing. Wow!

Note: Saw this on Wikitravel.org "A wide variety of imported beers are available, but the standard is Taiwan Beer 台灣啤酒, produced by a former government monopoly. It is brewed with fragrant penglai rice in addition to barley giving it a distinctive flavor."

Sp that's what that flavor is! I like it!

pmcadamis, Mar 16, 2008
2.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Taiwan pijio! ok, i admit that its been almost 2 years since I drank this beer while living in Taiwan. This goes totally against the Alstrom "tips" of review. but since this is a bottom of the barrel macro, I figure I'll indulge...
So I won't attempt to specifically review, but rather recall my memory of this brew. It got me through some rough evenings, better than many American macro lagers I've met. more body than the lites, on par with a PBR in my mind. best had when cold and icy. Ok, I admit that this was a clearly below average brew experience. but i learned that if you drop salted prunes into the beer, it is a little more adventurous and palatable. All in all, can't knock it for what it is. replace this beer at a frat party and nobody would know the difference.
I have to agree with reviewer below that this beer not only compliments taiwanese cuisine, but also the bin lan and paolyta habits i picked up.
for nostalgia's sake, I wish I could get this in the US.. apparently others have found it? I'd like to find out where, and buy a sixer.
THX

Philabeerphia, Feb 14, 2008
2.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Pretty sure this is my first Taiwanese beer, and what a treat it is, lol. 22 oz bomber pours a crystal clear gold color with a decent cap of white head. Fades fast initially, but leaves a nice sheen and at least a bit of lacing.

Nose is corn-a-licious. Wow, is there any malted barley in here? The can I saw in the store said so, it must be true :) No hops and there is a pretty substantial sweetness. Does not smell nearly as offensive as a Budweiser for what thats worth. The back label of my bottle claims 'It is our mission to bring one of the best and distinctive flavored lager beers to people throughout the world who enjoy this universal brew'...thats awfully nice of the Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor Corporation, dont you think?

The taste is more offensive than the nose, unfortunately. The sweetness is out of control and seriously needs some hops for at least a semblance of balance. It is adjunct laden, and nearly corn syrup-esque. Not good, but it does taste decently fresh and I will be able to finish my 22 oz sample. I cant wait to try the Gold Medal Taiwan beer I bought to go along with this treasure. For an AAL it is not entirely foul.

twiggamortis420, May 26, 2012