Taiwan Beer - Taiwan Tobacco & Liquor Corporation

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 02-26-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
1.08/5  rDev -55%

Pours with no head, and a pale yellow, very lightly carbonated body. Looks atrocious.

Nose is heavy with sickly sweet rice-syrup. Also a wet yeast/bread dough smell. No hops, no fragrance. Not very impressive.

Taste is grainy and harsh, lots of sticky rice and DMS. Very short palate that just delivers its sickly sweet blandness, then disappears - wham bam, thankyou tongue!

This is a ridiculously unappealing beer. This exemplifies all the worst element of Asian lagers. Stay well, well, well away. (503 characters)

2.84/5  rDev +18.3%

I picked this up at an Asian market in St. Louis while traveling with my Taiwanese buddy and our girlfriends. We were down there to pick up some good Asian food and beverages, and I found this on the trip.

A - A big fluffy head rises above a dull honey hued brew, but recedes pretty fast. Some random lace is left behind. Nothing much to look at here, but the head is much better than most brews of this style. Why is it that any basic lager is called American-Macro-Lager? It seems that the Asian and Mexican beers, though similar to BMC, are usually quite a bit more flavorful, and have much more substantial heads.

S - Snappy hops lend this a crisp and biting note, and the bubbly carbonation tickles my nose hairs. Some really nice saaz notes are there, along with a crisp sea-salt air aroma that makes this refreshing on the nose. There is an almost lemon-rind note too. I'm impressed!

T - This is pretty assertive for a usually weak style. This has loads of crisp wheaty-twang and witbier-like hops along with some added spice. The malt notes are honey and light fruit focused, and all of the flavors aren't shy about showing themselves. This is really pretty damn good stuff!

M - Light bodied, crisp, and refreshing with a heavier feel than most macro lagers. You can tell that there is some weight behind the ingredients in this brew.

D - I honestly wasn't expecting much from this beer, and I'm pleasantly surprised! This is not overly complex, but it has some really solid flavors going for it, and it's extremely thirst quenching and refreshing. Wow!

Note: Saw this on Wikitravel.org "A wide variety of imported beers are available, but the standard is Taiwan Beer 台灣啤酒, produced by a former government monopoly. It is brewed with fragrant penglai rice in addition to barley giving it a distinctive flavor."

Sp that's what that flavor is! I like it! (1,895 characters)

2.45/5  rDev +2.1%

My co-worker from Taiwan visited and brought a couple of 500 ml cans back.

Beer poured a straw color with very little head on the pour. Nose is light, hints of hops and not much else. Taste is light on the malts and hops, not overly impressive. Mouthfeel is light although the carbonation does make it refreshing. Overall drinkability is below average although it is quenching a thirst built up after hanging out with the grandson this weekend! This is very much like most other international lagers I have had in the past. (524 characters)

2.76/5  rDev +15%

Taiwan pijio! ok, i admit that its been almost 2 years since I drank this beer while living in Taiwan. This goes totally against the Alstrom "tips" of review. but since this is a bottom of the barrel macro, I figure I'll indulge...
So I won't attempt to specifically review, but rather recall my memory of this brew. It got me through some rough evenings, better than many American macro lagers I've met. more body than the lites, on par with a PBR in my mind. best had when cold and icy. Ok, I admit that this was a clearly below average brew experience. but i learned that if you drop salted prunes into the beer, it is a little more adventurous and palatable. All in all, can't knock it for what it is. replace this beer at a frat party and nobody would know the difference.
I have to agree with reviewer below that this beer not only compliments taiwanese cuisine, but also the bin lan and paolyta habits i picked up.
for nostalgia's sake, I wish I could get this in the US.. apparently others have found it? I'd like to find out where, and buy a sixer.
THX (1,062 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -5%

Interesting can with very little english on it except the words "TAIWAN BEER".

Golden, darker straw yellow color with a pretty good-sized, white head. It quickly dissapates, however, into a thin cap.

Not much aroma from this, maybe a little sweetness. Taste is pretty bad - a little malt sweetness, a rice-like quality and a soapy flavor as well. No hop flavor, although there is a bit of bitterness in the finish that would suggest their presence.

Light body with medium carbonation. Could barely drink this due to the soapy flavor, though. Possibly the worst beer I've had, though Natty Light might be worse. (619 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -14.2%

Green bottle, 600ml, claiming to be a Gold Medal Beer, whoever voted for this beer was got at!

Paler than a pale thing, on international pale day, this lager looked like Euro fizz, but even paler, light, no very light, almost a see through watery, urine after a heavy day of drinking Bitburger (you must be pissed if you think I've done that).

Taste-less, aroma-less, mouthfeel-less, drinkable-less etc, etc.

If I am stuck in an Island with a dead bloke and a crate of this beer, I would drink rain water before I would open a bottle of Taiwan Beer. (558 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +35.4%

A: Served in a can ... I was a bit lazy and decided not to pour it into a glass. I would figure it's a similar color to other rice beers, but I'm not sure as it when from can, to palate, to beer belly.

S: The nose is a bit more complex than "typical" Asian beers ... i.e. rice beers ... but mostly a dry nose with a very light hint of hops.

T: I had actually bought this as a novelty, but was pleasantly surprised with this beer. Though it's not mind-blowing, it is a decent style for a lager beer. Unlike other rice beers I've consumed that are dry and sometimes lacking in flavor, Taiwan Beer is much maltier. The malts really fill in for the "lack" of body other rice beers suffer from. It's a little sweet, but the dryness balances it out decently.

M: Light with a nice carbonation

D: I liked this beer. It goes very well with Asian food (go figure), especially Chinese and Thai dishes. I could definitely see myself knocking back a six pack of this ... a solid session beer. Plus, at $4.99 a sixer ... you can't lose!! (1,036 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Had this in Taiwan. First off the can design, it's about time the company who makes this join the 21st century. The can design is about as uninteresting as the beer. Pours a pale yellow color and a head the goes away quickly, things floating in the beer. The taste, you can tell this is heavily adjuncted with rice. Very ricey with almost no hope bite, an industrial taste comes through. This wasn't a pleasurable beer, if in Taiwan choose an import over this or the localy brewed Tsing Tao, much better. (504 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -18.8%

A gift from a Tennessee friend visiting her family and roots in Taiwan, and for the trip around the world, the taste isn't far removed from the convenience store brands back in the South. The initial Pabst-ness of scent prompts me to drink this grassy macro straight out of the can. Greeted up front by an intense malt sweetness that reveals a whole lot of adjunct behind - if it's rice like I hear, it doesn't taste too far off from the corn in a 40. Doesn't stay long on the tongue - a very thin, fizzy, carbonated mouthfeel that evaporates faster than most IPAs. As a result, it doesn't much slake a thirst. But there's something comforting about the familiarity. It's a small (macro) world after all. (704 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -15.4%

Got a chance to taste it again as two cans of this beer were brought by my friend from Taiwan as gifts. If only those new micro-breweries in Taiwan would bottle their beers soon, for the time being the Taiwanese people still couldn't escape the overwhelming influence of this sheer "national brand". 24/01/2006 produced, 24/07/2006 expired. Served lightly chilled in a slim lager glass.

A: pale straw colour, very fierce carbonation like a soda, with huge bubbles ejecting from the bottome like a hot spring~~ the loose beer head dissipates quite fast.
S: ashy, faintly lemony and a touch of star-fruit juice from hops(?), on top of mild corn-ish or rice note of grains. Overall very timid and unremarkable, but there's nothing horrible about it either.
T: sharply gassy on the palate, followed by a very intriguing dryish sweet grainness of pong-lai rice, which unfortunately tastes much better in the bowl than in this beer...; giving way to an almost chemical-paint and plastic taste (no, I haven't tasted real plastic!)... no suggestion of hops, with only a dryish and faintly bitter finish.
M: very gassy and watery texture, this beer is in the league of Michelob which once famously/unashamedly quaranteed "no aftertaste" what-so-ever... But different from the canned version I last had some 10 years ago, at least this one doesn't have undesired residual sugary flavour nor metallic taste.
D: to my best recollection, Taiwan Beer in the past had more malty entry, but the one I've just tried surprisingly is even lighter on malts; instead I could sense much more rice in it?! From this observation, I dare presume that Taiwan's joining WTO has turned out a strong boost for the micro-brewing scene in Taiwan after all and simultaneously a blow to the TTL which had dominated Taiwan's beer industry way too long. And now the TTL preserves this beer purely for the brand's sake, while further watering down the ingredients simply to cut the cost for what's worth in their declining share of the market? If that's true, I'd say it's a good start to gradually phase out this bland national brand and open the door for much more varieties of brews (by the TTL and micro-breweries alike) to enrich Taiwan's beer scene. (2,226 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

hand carried all the way from tai pai...

poured with a good release of co2 and produced a fizzy white head that dissappears fast...bubbly as heck though. nothing really in the smell...some hint of a sweetness there, not sure if its corn or rice I'd guess rice, corn would be surprising in this beer. taste is actually sweeter than I thought it'd be and kinda detracting...but if I was there in the heat I would definetly be sucking these down. this has it's place and that's back in taiwan or on a hazy hot and humid summer. (527 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -18.8%

Giant size brown bottle from the Beverage Warehouse in Culver City California.

Pours a fizzy yellow beer, looks like a BMC type beer to me.

Smell is clean with a lot of corn smell. Mild scents of malt and a little bit of acid in the scent. A little grain and biscuit in the scent.

Taste is flat and noticeably oxidized, lot of cardboard flavor. Flavor of corn and that is about it.

Light mouthfeel.

Yes you can drink this but why? At its best this was a Budweiser clone, but shipped across an ocean it is $1.69 a Giant bottle at the Beverage Warehouse in Culver City. (582 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -1.2%

Picked up a tall bottle at beverage warehouse that I would geuss to be 16-18 ouncer although nothing to indicate exactly the size. No freshness date to speak of. The bottle is tall and slender, tinted brown. The label is very generic green lettering on an off white background. It states just below the name "tawain beer" that this beer won the "grand gold medal of the 1997 world monde selection.

Malted in the nose with the expected grainy clean smell.

Quite refreshing. More of a sweet malt presence than I'm used to in the style. Crisp and clean all around. Light watered mouthfeel that gets saved by a medium carbonation sizzle. Somewhere in the middle of each drink I got a hop twang that tasted like a cheap adjunct filler.

I found this to be an average macro lager that would be good for sessioning. A slightly sweeter version of US domestic versions. (870 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -7.1%

Expected more somehow...but failed to deliver...just hoping.
Oh well...Arrived a thin golden colour with large bubbled carbonation and a very short head.
Body is very thin with a slight yeasty scent.
Taste is weak, dry and of cardboard.
Boring yet consumable after a large meal due to its light qualities...Geez that sucks, as does this brew. (346 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -48.8%

I have to agree with ism, the design on this blue and white can screams communist utilitarianism, hearkening back a good 30-50 years in style as well. The beer itself is a pale hazy straw colour, a flash of fizzy white head that reminds me of pop. The aroma is a bit boozy, thin like the smell of fermented corn or rice. The flavour is pure sweet rice adjunct, absolutely characterless, somewhat like the packaging. The mouthfeel is thin and watery and quite lifeless. No pulse at all to this beer. If you see it on the shelf, no matter how it is priced, just keep walking. (573 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -47.9%

The best thing about this beer is the sheer utilitarianism of the can. Blue print in several languages cover every bit of printable area. The logo, simply stating (not even proclaiming) "Taiwan Beer" characterizes the contents. It pours a pale off-yellow with no discernable head. Tastes ricey with a playful effervescence that results in some harshness going down.

Not a bad try, as it seems to be aping the standard American macro, but not distinctive either. In the end, I got more enjoyment out of the can.

I think I should also disclose that I had this on a flight from Taiwan, and poured it into one of those tiny plastic cups they provide in coach/economy class. This may have affected my perception. (713 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -42.5%

Appearance – Very light orange in color with little head.

Smell – The odor is very mild here, but I can pick up some rotten mowed grass and Band-Aids.

Taste – Oh, this is horrid. The Band-Aids carry the day at the taste, and there’s some sort of God-awful flavor here that curdles the cheeks. I don’t know what it is. It’s kind of like a very flat, stale, weak soda.

Mouthfeel – The cheap fizzy mouthfeel is thankfully offset by a bit of dryness, but this is no picnic.

Sinkability – This is slightly better than the Caguama Light that I had earlier today, but it’s a close race. (600 characters)

1.35/5  rDev -43.8%

Shoulda known better when I saw the can. Rudimentary graphics, sitting rather lifelessly and forlorn amid all the other gold-foiled or colourful bottles and cans on the shelf. So they saved all their effort for the brewing of this beer, right?

Uh-uh. Wasn't even worth the effort of pulling up on the pop tab. Utterly insipid stuff, devoid of character. Not actively undrinkable, but precious little point in lifting the glass to your lips for this one.

Give it a pass and spend an extra buck on something else instead. (525 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow! It says "Taiwan Beer" on the can. No brand name. It's just beer. The can's white. The print is blue. Someone has to tell these guys about branding.

And boy, does it taste brand-less. It's clearly Taiwan's answer to Budweiser. Come to think of it, Budweiser may have had a hand in this. Or the people who make Blue Light.

Drinkable? Yes.

Forgettable? Uh huh. (371 characters)

I know that a person is not supposed to review from memory, but this will have to be the exception to the rule.

I found this beer at the 99cent store for 3 for 99C. I was excited. It was about 2 years ago.

I threw um in the fridge and invited a chum over to try the Taiwan beer and he was happy to oblige. I got two out of the fridge and cracked um open. Gave one to my buddy and one for myself. He, being more naturally cautious, sniffed at and looked into the bottle suspisciously. I took a chug. Awful. Terrible. It literally tasted of Soy Sauce. No shit. My friend gets a glass and starts pouring as i took another swig, just for good measure. While the beverage was still in my mouth, i looked at my friends poured version, only to see flakes and chunks swerling around in the glass. I almost barfed and quickly spit my swig into the sink. This stuff is Terrible.

el_mocoso (888 characters)