Peroni Nastro Azzurro - Birra Peroni Industriale S.p.A.

Peroni Nastro AzzurroPeroni Nastro Azzurro

poor

poor

Birra Peroni Industriale S.p.A. visit their website
Italy

Euro Pale Lager |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Peroni Nastro Azzurro Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,735 | Reviews: 697
3.6/5  rDev +30.4%

nothing special here, but not bad either. i much prefer it over a heineken or grolsch or the like. a basic lager that pairs well with any italian meal. a good one to have when your just looking for something simple.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle at Mario's in Stuart, FL.
Golden color, a shade darker than you would expect. Fresh cut grass and snappy hop smell. Inviting. Fresh tasting lager flavors. Undertones of bready malt, hints of grass, and tasty bitter hopping in the finish. I don't know if it's saaz or what. Tastes like a very traditional European lager, without the nasty skunky smell. Light to moderate body, very crisp and refreshing finish. Paired nicely with a big bowl of Pasta Fagoli and Chicken Parmagiana. I would have it again here, but would go searching for it.

3.6/5  rDev +30.4%

Had this lager on tap at Campisi's Pizza in a pint glass. Pale straw colour with bright white head (1/2"). Grassy and floral nose, very clean. The taste was grass and grain, with a dry hop bite, very crisp, with maybe a touch of lime zest.

Good for its style...excellent for washing down food.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from 12oz bottle to pilsner glass.

A - Beer poured a perfectly clear golden yellow color with a nice bubbly 1/5 finger head with nice retention and lacing.

S - Detectable pilsner grains and a hint of corn.

T/M - The beer starts crisp and somewhat grainy but transitions into a pleasant mixture of carbonation, pilsenr malts, with little hop character just as the style should be. Finishes refreshingly crisp and clean. Well carbonation and thin bodied somewhat dry.

D - Very easy to drink.

Overall, I liked Peroni and thought it was a perfect beer to choose for a couple to pair with the Italian food. I am not sure I would seek this beer out but it's a good representative of the style and to date my favorite from Italy.

Reviewed on: 01-31-2011 02:33:05

3.58/5  rDev +29.7%

Appearance: light yellow, medium head, medium carbonation

Smell: clean wheat, little malt

Taste: light wheat and malt-nothing overly complex

Mouthfeel: light and crisp, very refreshing

Drinkability: For the style this is very sessionable. It is somewhat more tasty than others in this category. I have had this before and never thought much of it, but could see myself drinking a six after cutting the grass.

3.58/5  rDev +29.7%

Poured from a bottle into a beer glass.

Appearance: Styrofoam head (about two fingers) fizzles down to an uber-thin ring around the glass. A few hot-spots of carbonation polka-dot the surface of the beer. This is a very intriguing aspect of its look. The nitty-gritty itself is very pale and almost transparent. Heavy carbonation visible through the glass.

Smell: A scent only a motha could love. Hops jello? Bitter at first, with some pretty decent lemon-peel-type notes detectable after a moment. Typical of the style.

Taste: I really, really like Peroni. A medium-strength malt base lays the foundation for a handful of interesting flavors; lemon, pretzel, grassy, vaguely herbal, and ester. The alcohol is a touch poignant here, but aside from that, it's really good.

Mouthfeel: Beer is heavy in carbonation, allowing a long savoring of the classic Italian brew. Rinses super clean, with only a gentle bitterness.

Overall: Just a touch below good, but definitely above average. A go-to beer if you want something easily drinkable and yet subtly complex. Love it.

3.57/5  rDev +29.3%

I have to admit this beer surprised me. I don't have a high opinion of lagers as a whole, mainly because most of them don't stand out, but this beer stuck in my mind. The biggest aspect is its sweetness. Unusually sweet for a lager, but it's great for drinking with a meal.

3.57/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I was out to try a new beer tonight and saw a promotional sale for Peroni Nastro azzarro. It was on sale so I picked one up. Cap is not twist off which is my signal for a real beer.

Appearance: The bottle is okay. Wording is Italian which made it seem fancy. Drank it straight out of the bottle so I could not tell the color or consistency.

Smell: reminded me of a lager.

Taste: Upon tasting, I don't know if it was a long time since I had a beer so it was a real treat, but I really enjoyed the taste. I see a lot of you did not give too great of a rating but I find this to be a very good taste. It was clean, crisp, slight carbonated, and did not have that macro-brew taste. Maybe I got a good batch but it seemed really balanced. Something I could sit all night and drink. Now this is not a strong beer, nor does it have any special qualities about it, but it is a nice treat. Brewed with only wheat, hops, maize, barley, and water. This is very similar tasting to Heineken which is another beer I love as a treat.

Mouthfeel: low to medium carbonation, smooth, not too watery.

Overall: I liked this beer and will purchase it again. Ordering this in a bar or pub will make me feel fancy.

3.57/5  rDev +29.3%

Tried this on tap at several locations here in Italy.

Of all the beers I have tried here in Italy, this is definitely my favorite one. Not to bash any regions beer, but to me this really is not saying much as this is just a pretty good euro pale lager without any off flavors that I often find in Italian Brews. Seems to have a bit more character as well, with some good malty sweetness a nice little bite at the end.

Served at a good, cold temperature, this is a good, drinkable beer. Unfortunately, many locations do not serve this at the proper temperature, as it has been served to my wife and I at almost room temperature. Good lesson in proper serving temp for maximum enjoyment of a beer, not too warm, not too cold.

Tasted in Milano, Italy.

330 cl green bottle. Color pale yellow, big bubbly head dissipates quickly, level of carbonation higher than average.

Aroma spicy, complex. That's what I call 'perfumed beer'.

Start spritzy, malty, spicy. Taste bitter, hoppy. Body very slender, dry. Mouthfeel pleasant, light and cheerful (if we can apply the word to the mouthfeel). Finish hoppy, aftertaste long and bitter.

Very drinkable beer, especially on a hot Italian afternoon. Thumbs up for this one!

3.57/5  rDev +29.3%

It shows a very pale amber color, completely translucent, average foam made of medium size bubbles, white color on the head,
average disipasion,small bubble carbonation and it is constant, little retention and no residue

deep malt aroma

Deep bitterness in the drink, light-bodied, refreshing, with a ligth final
but extended with very acceptable bitterness

12 oz green bottle

A - Pale golden color with decent white head.

S - Sweet malts and faint floral hops present.

T - Very crisp and refreshing. Can taste some grains and almost a citrus lemon flavor. Slight bitterness. Smooth and light.

M - Light body, good balance with the carbonation.

D - I think this is very drinkable. When served ice cold, I can put these back with the best of them. Overall I was impressed. I enjoyed this brew.

3.56/5  rDev +29%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very pretty bright gold clear liquid with a substantial white head.

Aroma is sweet and slightly grainy.

On first taste, I can pick up a lot of grainy notes and a little bit of hops. As the beer warms it unfortunately starts getting way too sweet.

Lingering sweetish aftertaste.

Decent medium mouthfeel.

3.56/5  rDev +29%

Why would an Italian brewery make an American Macro Lager? Better yet, why are American breweries still making American Macro Lagers? Anyhow, the beer smells like a wet dog, but improves as the beer settles in the glass. Looks more German Lager-ish than American Macro, which encourages me. Flavors are pretty clean with a light citrus, apple flavor and spiced nicely with citrus / grassy hops. A bit fizzy in the mouth, but ultimately nicely weighted and moderatly rounded. Finishs very crisp, clean, and with a lemony / minty finish. A good one for the patio.

3.55/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very basic, general example of the style. Pours clear and a pale, golden-grainy yellow. Fleeting, sort of fizzy, white head. Softened grainy, malty aroma mostly. Hops actually in the back. Lightly toasted cereal grain, delicate or light-moderate malt flavor. Balanced pretty well by a touch of grassy hops. Suggestion of more body at first, perhaps by the somehow seemingly lesser degree of carbonation, but it finishes fairly weightless and clean. Not really crisp, but not with residual syrupy sweetness.

Like many of this type, I'm sure it does come across tasteless and bland to those whose tongues have been conditioned to accept and approve bold flavor and sensations - hops, alcohol, viscosity, etc. To those whom I'm referring to - go back one day, open your mind, put aside your bias, and really scrutinize these pale lagers. Take them for what they are and what they offer - not how they hold up to a barrel-aged blah blah, or whatever you compare them to. There are excellent, delicate, flavorful examples of this style and there are some harsh, vegetal, awful examples. I dare you to try a lot of them like I have (for some reason) and discover the differences.

Peroni is just fine. I liked it and I didn't drink it numbingly cold. And I'd have it again under the circumstances.

3.55/5  rDev +28.6%

Smells really good but has a bitter taste and carbonation bite.

3.53/5  rDev +27.9%

Green bottle of 330 ml, at home. Imported. Poured into a pilsner glass.
Golden yellow colour, very clear. Something less than two fingers of head, white in colour. Lots of activity in the glass, in the form of bubbles. Head finally stabilizes to half a finger, and stays at that height for a long time.
Aroma of malts and slighty of other adjunct grains, possibly corn (?).
Taste is great though. Sweet mostly from the malt, the hops on the weak side. I hadn't have a lager like that for almost a year now and my last holidays in Greece, and as I am raised with this kind of sweet beers, I find the taste very appealing.
Thin on the body, just one step maybe before someone can call it watery. Slighty dry on the palate. which gives it drinkability points.
Overall, I really enjoyed this one, too bad that it's price is so high here in the Netherlands.

Edit:according to the label it does have some corn, but other than a faint smell, it's not that obvious.

Peroni, reviewed as a Euro Pale Lager "since 1846", ABV=4.7%, cals=150
A 3.5 - good 2 finger head, gone quick, short head retention, pale straw in color, noticeable carbonation
S 3.0 semi skunky hop smell
T 4.0 Clean crisp taste, hops noticeably present, faint malt backbone, subtle sweet finish
MF 3.0 thin in body, high carbonation, clean feel on palate
D 3.5, I like the crisp clean taste and feel, I dig this for a Euro Lager

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I noticed some citrusy, almost lemon-like, hints with my first taste but I was either imagining things or my taste buds quickly lost that flavor. This is a highly fermented golden beer. It was crisp and clear but not outstanding. My impression is an American pilsner that's much more refined, maybe less rice and adjuncts.

3.52/5  rDev +27.5%

Bright, light gold with a thin and lightly soapy, clean, white head. The smell reaches the nose quickly with clean, dry grassy grains. This is repeated in the taste but with a lighter version. The lightness of the mouthfeel gives a wet finish with light carbonation. This beer is not the greatest stand-alone, but it would make a great, light compliment to heavy meals as it is refreshing and very easy-drinking.

3.52/5  rDev +27.5%

A: Pale yellow with a small head and little lace.
S: Not much here. Some faint hops and some spices.
T: I really enjoyed the taste of this beer. Very piny with a good hop character and a good amount of spice. A bit grainy, but nothing much to complain about.
M/D: Light a crisp in the mouth. Easy to puy back if in the mood.

This is a decent light beer, and pairs well with some great Italian food.

3.52/5  rDev +27.5%

Light to medium yellowish with a good white head that lasted a bit. Smell is honey malt and touch of bitter hop. Very nice refreshing bitterness, followed by a nice smooth finish. Nice, clean and easy to drink. Good enjoyable beer, but could have been a touch more carbonated. Still, was similar to a nice crisp pilsner

3.52/5  rDev +27.5%

A- Pours a very, very pale golden color, with a one finger head. Surprisingly good retention for the style, and a constant stream of bubbles from the bottom of the glass, a la champagne.

S- Typical. Raw grain, yeasty, slightly skunked hops, etc. a bit more prominent aroma than many other euro lagers, but the same idea.

T- Clean, crisp, and thin. A hint of skunky hops all the way from front to back, and some residual corn sweetness on the finish. Touch of DMS, and a touch of skunk. Exactly what you'd expect from the style.

M- Thin, insipid, soda-like carbonation, and generally uninteresting. Just what you'd expect here.

D- If you enjoy the flavor, you can sling these all night long.

overall, I find this to be slightly better than the average Heineken, Stella, Grolsch, etc euro lager. It is still fairly boring, full of defects, skunked, etc, but out of the groups of euro lagers, this is one of the slightly more interesting ones. At least this one is a little more clean than the others.

3.51/5  rDev +27.2%

a- bottle poured into a pint, one inch head that didn't stay too long, nice lacing though, light yellow color, good amount of carbonation, classy dego label haha.

s- slight hop smell, little sweetness, pretty crisp.

t- pretty typical pilsner flavor, little hops upfront, balances out, bitterness at the end.

m- decent, nice and bubbly, goes down easy.

d- i'm gonna say it's drinkable, refreshing.

bonus points for being the beer of my motherland. cin cin.

3.5/5  rDev +26.8%

On-tap at a random bar in Sorrento.

Pours a clear straw color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes quickly into a thin ring around the glass leaving light lacing.

Smells of light pilsner malts with mild amounts of adjunct sweetness and even lighter amounts of earthy hop aromas. As the beer warms the hop aromas intensify a bit but never outdo the malt and adjunct.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Pilsner malt and sweet adjunct flavors up front are joined midway through the sip by slight grassy and earthy hop flavors. The hops carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is alright. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without any problems however I'm not sure about another.

Overall this is another beer that I was not a fan of state-side but that is infinitely more palatable close to the source. I shudder to think what those outside of the U.S. think about our BMC products. Anyways, this isn't a bad beer but it's not worth seeking out either.

Peroni Nastro Azzurro from Birra Peroni Industriale S.p.A.