Follow our progress ...

Peroni Nastro Azzurro | Birra Peroni Industriale S.p.A.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
poor
Read the review

Peroni Nastro AzzurroPeroni Nastro Azzurro

Birra Peroni Industriale S.p.A.
Italy | website

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by Todd on 01-03-2001

Reviews: 675 | Ratings: 1,898
2.82/5  rDev +2.2%

Why do brewers keep putting beer in green bottles? I've never had a green bottle import that didn't taste at least a little skunky. Put that aside and this is an easy drinking, lawn mowing beer. Nothing great, but serves a purpose.

3.09/5  rDev +12%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Your average euro lager, slight skunk and plenty of grain. Very beer-y beer. Average, but not bad. Have it on-tap and leave your snobbery at the door.

3.41/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A- Super heavy carbonation is the key look to this ultra clear, pale yellow colored Euro lager. The head is pure white and doesn't produce much of anything other than some thin patchy foam. Surprisingly, the lacing is not half bad, with some sticky bubbly foam clinging to the glass....it does slowly find it's way back into the beer itself. Very typical cheaper looking lager.

S- Again, this is typical of the style. Skunky, but not nearly as bad as others of this style. There are hints of bread/yeast and some dried barley grain and/or grassy. While the aroma is much better than expected, there is still a hint of corn/rice adjunts. Minimal hop presence, which isn't unexpected and it smells very clean.

T- As the aroma suggested, this is very much a clean brew flavor wise. There is adjunct laden flavors of boiled corn and/or white rice. Lingering in the background are mild flavors of sweet malt and the aforementioned yeasty/bread qualities. Nothing in the hop department....good overall!

M/O- A perfect example of what a clean, crisp lager should be! Thin bodied and plenty of palate scrubbing carbonation make this a great session beer for a club meeting in the evening. It really can be enjoyed by everyone and has more flavor than standard BMC offerings, without the tang of typical Euro lagers. I've bought this before and I'll buy it again.....I like it for what it is and think it's an underrated beer!

2.18/5  rDev -21%

Bright clear light straw colour. Inch and a half of white head. Few streams of fast bubbles. Some lacing.

Mid grassy hop aroma. Hint of spice - cinnamom. A bit bready.

Very mild taste. I had to take a big gulp to get the mild grassy hops. Corn instead of barley.

Light feel. Watery.

Not really a bad beer but very weak. I would only drink this if it was free which it was. Coupon giveaway outside the LCBO.

3.04/5  rDev +10.1%

Tried one during a visit to a local Italian place with my dad and sister today. Served in the bottle with a frosted mug, which I poured the beer into a minute or two later.

Yellowish color, clear with lots of bubbles. Almost looked just slightly greenish, but that may have been a trick of the light. Smell was mostly just bready and a bit "beer-y," though I'm guessing the fact that I was in a restaurant at the time and food smells were all around made things harder to distinguish.

Taste... lightly bready, and a noticeable sorta leafy veggie-like flavor. I assume this is from the hops used, since it worked together with the breadiness pretty well and didn't seem out of place. Went well with my salad, cheese sticks, and stuffed shells (and even the bit of my sister's calamari that I tried), which is always a plus for something you drink at a restaurant.

Overall, I liked this pretty well and will probably order it at the local Italian places again in the future.

EDIT: First-impression review is above; I've modified my scores a bit since then after having this a few more times and finding that I don't like it quite as much now as I did then. Still definitely not a bad beer, and still one I'll order when eating out, just doesn't impress me quite as much now as it did initially.

2.72/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Format: a standard 330mL green bottle with a macro Euro label.

Appearance: pours out a clear, light-hued yellow body with a fairly thin white head that drops to a thin cap.

Aroma: quit a light aroma; just some cheap grains with some funk and metallic carbonation. Hooray.

Taste: light pale malts with again the cheap grains and the metallic carbonation. Not too bad, but still a bit cheap.

Aftertaste: a bit dry on the finish with a touch of bitterness.

Mouth feel: light in feel with a standard macro full carbonation. Standard.

Overall: a fairly standard, cheap Euro macro lager, so I guess you get what you pay for. At $52 a case, there are definitely better beers for less.

3.06/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass as Provinos Restaurant in Douglasville, GA.
Aroma- Has a malt and hops aroma, not spectacular.
Appearance- Pours a traditional yellow lager color with a medium white head.
Taste- The beer had a hop and bread flavor, OK tasting.
Palate- This is a light bodied beer with heavy carbonation.
Overall- A decent Italian beer, I have been critical of most but this is average and I will drink this again if offered.

3.78/5  rDev +37%

I like Peroni. In the bottle it's okay. On tap it really shines. Okay, it's a Euro lager, and it's not going to knock your socks off. But it gets the job done in a comfortable, enjoyable way. Drink it at an Italian restaurant, on tap with some chicken marsala, and you'll be good to go.

Keep in mind, this is the draught version:

Appearance: A rich, golden color, with a two-finger width head that dissipates quickly into a light bubbly lacing. Quite attractive in the glass.

Aroma: It doesn't smell like a lager, really. There is a definite grainy scent to it, but I also detect a distinct, but light hoppiness about it too.

Taste: A very European, gentle hoppiness. Grain, but a suggestive, malty aftertaste. It does not offend.

Mouth: No bitterness, especially after eating a few bites of food. It's a good mealtime beer.

Overall: The beer is not stellar, but it's really not bad. Drink it on tap and you will not regret it. I found myself liking it more and more as I sipped it. Like I said, it goes well with Italian food, but also with just about anything else. A good, solid European lager.

This is an extremely pale euro lager with a fleeting head and minimal lacing. The hops are sharp but don't overwhelm the very light malt background flavors. Very smooth mouthfeel and a clean finish.

This beer is quite similar to other euro lagers like Heineken and Stella Artois. If I was sitting in a sidewalk cafe in Rome it would be perfect. At my dinner table in KY it's still ok. If you are a euro lager fan this is worth a try.

3.44/5  rDev +24.6%

Eating some Farfale with cream sauce and chicken. Thought this would be a good pairing.

Appearance (3.75) : A nice three fingered head that quickly descends to a two fingered head. Body is transparent and straw colored. Lacing webs the glass.

Aroma (3.5) : Yeast, sour mash, hay, dusty grain. Breadsticks! It's more potent and the bouquet is louder than most any other lager I've nosed.

Taste (3.5) : Hops are almost immediate but not overpowering. Within the body there's some sour malt character that's grassy and hay-like as well. Hoppy dry finish.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : Light bodied, lightly creamy, dry finish.

Overall (3.44) : This is actually a decent beer. I like the flavor, and I've not had any lager that tasted like it before. It's grassy, hoppy, and grainy all at once. Slightly sour which detracts from drinkability. It's definitely not from the western hemisphere. Some good "Old World" flavor that pairs well with similar food.

I couldn't drink it every day, but it's interesting for a one-off.

2.85/5  rDev +3.3%

500 ml can served cold into a pint glass. Purchased for $2.65 CDN.

Appearance - very pale golden straw color capped with a finger of white head and plenty of bubbles inside.

Smell - light grainy aroma not much else.

Taste - clean, filtered taste, light amount of graininess, a bit more bitter than others in the style. A bit bland though even for the style.

Mouthfeel- very clean and crisp, well carbonated and light body.

Overall - a passable lager, but has nothing that stands out from the pack. Drinkable but not my first choice... Or second... Or third if there's nothing else available.

Bland taste, skunky smell, fizzy with no return of flavor. It went down without even noticing it wasn't really soda water. Perhaps for a really hot day when I'm out of every other beer, and the water hose/dog dish is too far away to drink from?

3.07/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured into a pilsener glass.

Look: Clear pale straw yellow color. A white head settles to a foamy film leaving light spots of lacing.

Aroma: A combination of subtle metallic notes, faint grassiness, and super sweet malt.

Taste: Sweet and grainy up front before a more bitter finish and subtle metallic notes.

Mouthfeel: Clean and refreshing.

Overall: I re-reviewed this and upgraded the score. Although nothing really stands out ingredient wise, it's not quite the skunk and cabbage bomb I remembered.

2.4/5  rDev -13%

The bottle backlog continues to fall in the wake of my decision to eradicate bottles from at least my kitchen and perhaps from my inventory. I am awash in the daggum things and they are standing between me and The CANQuest (TM) and I will not abide it any longer. I purchased this one during my most recent visit to Subs 'n' Six Pax on Columbia Avenue.

From the bottle: "Tradizione e Naturalita dal 1846"; "Birra Superiore".

I popped the cap and began the aggro pour, creating both a pseudo-cascade and forming a brief finger of bone-white head that quickly fell to wisps. Color was a pale lemon-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a pleasant Saaz-like grassiness. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was odd, grassy, but with a light cheesiness like sharp cheddar. It was not prevalent, but it was noticeable all the same. Finish was light, spritzy, semi-dry, nice on a hot, humid day after some gardening, but there are much better iterations of the style out there.

3.11/5  rDev +12.7%

an OK lager. Typical mass produced taste, nothing special. Bottle looks awesome and refined, but I am sure it is a selling point. Label looks like a fancy water brand. Pours ok with a somewhat skunky smell. Taste is right from the start skunky and is typical of a mainstream, overproduced, less refined beer. Ok, but it has to be cold, or don't even bother

2.64/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured a clear golden yellow with three fingers of fluffy white head that slowly receded to two fingers of fluffy white head leaving abundant lacing down the glass. A pretty nice, full look for a Euro Pale Lager, not bad. Scents of skunky hops, grainy malt, biscuity malt and some faint malty sweetness. An expected aroma for a green bottled Euro Pale Lager. Taste begins with slight sweet grainy flavors and faint maize, moving into some hop extract and floral/herbal hop flavors. Finish is semi-dry with a hop extract bitterness, grain husk and sweet malt. Aftertaste is dry with notes of herbal hops, floral hops and bitterness, with slight graininess. A decent flavor for a Euro Pale Lager, a lot more flavor than the American lagers. Mouthfeel is light bodied with moderate carbonation and semi-dry feel. Fairly true to form for a lager, not bad. Overall a fairly good Euro Pale Lager. Not the best, but a pretty good flavor profile overall, though the aroma is a bit of a letdown. Not bad but not really worth having again.

1.5/5  rDev -45.7%

I don't want to do negative reviews on beers because I feel in away every beer is something that somebody made, almost an art, but this is the first year I've ever had that actually made me sick. Two sips into the spear and my stomach went haywire. the sMell was very faint but it actually had and almost fruity aroma. the appearance was nothing more than a light beer.

2.76/5  rDev 0%

Peroni Nastro Azzurro brewed by Birra Peroni Industriale S.p.A. This brew has an ABV of 5.1% and pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. The head to this brew goes away fast. The smell is really skucky with some grains. Not what I was looking for in the smell but that is the style of brew. It also does not help that it comes out of a green bottle. The taste is bitter and skunky at first. The after taste is smooth and clean. The mouthfeel at first is not so good but it nice at end. Over all I'm giving this 3 out of 5.

2.9/5  rDev +5.1%

Peroni Nastro Azzurro from Birra Peroni Industriale S.p.A., my first Italian brew. Poured from the bottle into a glass, this brew's head grew big, fast and then went away just as fast. Not really much lacing going on here. Light yellow body.

Smells quite skunky.

Once you get past the skunkiness, there are some nice light malt characteristics. Very clean.

Very light and crisp mouthfeel.

Overall a neutral 3 for Peroni. Didn't much care for the skunkiness. I doubt I'll buy this brew again.

2.43/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is decent looking, very light and bubbly. It has a slightly Fruity aroma at first, but that quickly goes away. The head went away quickly as well. It does not have much taste, but a slightly sour feel.

Contrary to the smell, it has not fruity taste at all. It burns the mouth, which effectively removes all other tastes. The burning feel makes it hard to even take a large sip. A stronger taste would go a long way to make this beer better, as it stands there is not much of a taste to analyze.

2.95/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Little to no head. Faded very quickly. Lightly carbonated, light in color.

S: Sweet, floral, but only a small bouquet

T: Bland, little volume in taste. Crisp, light, flowery. Tastes a bit watered down.

M: Light, lingers all around. Quickly becomes foamy on contact with tongue.

O: Unimpressed. No powerful taste, no remarkable aroma, very light, average brew.

3.45/5  rDev +25%

Purchased at the LCBO for $2.90 473ml can. Served at 6deg C in a draught glass

A- Not much. Pours ok with not much color. Head dissipates to nothing within 1min

S- Aromatic. Not a lot but slightly

T- Pretty good considering what this beer looks and smells like. Nice light and crisp. Very light on the hops and malt. This is what Coors Light should aim for. Not too sweet.

M- Pretty good. Light as noted above. Lots of carbonation

O- Very good. Will buy as a changer upper once in a while. Reminds me of a mild Sapporo.

Food Pairing

This nice light beer goes very well with... Sushi

Enjoy

2.77/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: thin white head, mild lacing. Color is pale straw with moderate carbonation present. Aroma: skunk at first (green bottle). Once that subsided, the aroma was fairly pleasant combination of toasted barley malt and grass.
Mouthfeel: light, watery and refreshing. Finish is quite dry.
Flavor: pleasant combination of sweet barley malt, some grassy flavor and some hop spice.

2.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a clear, golden color with an average white head that stays for a while.
The aroma is slightly skunky, malty and mostly grainy.
The taste is very light, but not watery. Sweet start, balanced body and just a tiny amount of bitterness in the end.
Nicely refreshing and easily drinkable, although it could use a bit more taste.

3.57/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I was out to try a new beer tonight and saw a promotional sale for Peroni Nastro azzarro. It was on sale so I picked one up. Cap is not twist off which is my signal for a real beer.

Appearance: The bottle is okay. Wording is Italian which made it seem fancy. Drank it straight out of the bottle so I could not tell the color or consistency.

Smell: reminded me of a lager.

Taste: Upon tasting, I don't know if it was a long time since I had a beer so it was a real treat, but I really enjoyed the taste. I see a lot of you did not give too great of a rating but I find this to be a very good taste. It was clean, crisp, slight carbonated, and did not have that macro-brew taste. Maybe I got a good batch but it seemed really balanced. Something I could sit all night and drink. Now this is not a strong beer, nor does it have any special qualities about it, but it is a nice treat. Brewed with only wheat, hops, maize, barley, and water. This is very similar tasting to Heineken which is another beer I love as a treat.

Mouthfeel: low to medium carbonation, smooth, not too watery.

Overall: I liked this beer and will purchase it again. Ordering this in a bar or pub will make me feel fancy.

Peroni Nastro Azzurro from Birra Peroni Industriale S.p.A.