Peroni Nastro Azzurro - Birra Peroni Industriale S.p.A.

Peroni Nastro AzzurroPeroni Nastro Azzurro

poor

poor

Birra Peroni Industriale S.p.A. visit their website
Italy

Euro Pale Lager |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Peroni Nastro Azzurro Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev +26.5%

A: pours a clear straw into a pilsner glass with a thin skim of white head that dissipates rather quickly.

S: crisp wheat, light malt, lemon grass, and a bit of sweet honey.

T: a lot of that sweet wheat and honey with a balance of lemon grass and other lighter citrus notes.

MF: light body and crisp flavor profile, nice and refreshing.

O: a good euro pale for outside pasta eating.

nickthetick, Aug 28, 2011
2.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance is straw yellow in color with a dissapating crisp head. Smell has a light aroma in adjuncts and yeast with only a slight skunk note. Taste again has the adjunct, light malt and moderately hopped with a dry bitter in the end. Mouthfeel is light with crisp carbonation. Not bad, had better, seasonable and refreshing.

Bookseeb, Aug 21, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -41.8%

12oz bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - Pale, straw yellow. It has an inch of white head.

S - It's your typical skunky, green bottle smell.

T - It tastes skunked and ass like. Not good

M - Luckily it is watery. If there were some corn floating in it I would be worried that they are bottling Italian shit.

O - It is a great beer! Not really, it is pretty bad.

buschbeer, Aug 19, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -14.5%

This one will be a quick review; having lunch at a local Italian restaurant in my hometown (So Italian in Brownsburg, IN). Here goes:

A: Fizzy, yellow, plain. The body is so pale it looks like white wine. The head, white and foamy, actually has some pretty good retention and lacing. I still can't get over how pale the body is...

S: A decent selection of pale malts, with some pale grainy textures leading the way. Some fruity grape smells give this one an even bigger wine character, though they're quite dull overall. Not a lot going on here, but not offensive.

T: Stale grains and a tiny hint of hop oils. The fruits that were apparent in the nose are only there in the aftertaste, which is mostly old fruit juice. Not my style.

M: Bubbly, possibly to make up for the thin palate. Goes down like seltzer water.

O: It's an imported macro-brew...what can you really expect? It doesn't really offend, and I'm glad because the meal is so great. I would love my amatriciana with a great beer, but I'm at least happy that it didn't take away from my lunch.

BarryMFBurton, Aug 19, 2011
2.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Golden straw color with lots of bubbles and and white head that fades quickly.

Smells is of grain/corn and a bit of hops.

Taste is similar to smell with a bit of malts too. Not a ton going on here. Mouthfeel is nice and bubbles with a light body.

Similar to a Stella, but stella is a bit better in my opinion.

Jerone, Aug 15, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -4.4%

Extremely pale color, a very transparent gold. Nose classic lager with a touch reminiscent of the German-style Pilsener. The mouth is very easy to drink, you feel a little grassy aftertaste that is slightly tangy taste of a beer commercial finally uninteresting.

ThaCreep, Aug 08, 2011
2.8/5  rDev +1.8%

Over at my parents place grilling up some dogs, and my old man happened to have an ice cold Peroni in the fridge. It seemed like a good summertime option.

Poured out of a 12 oz glass into a standard pint glass.

A) It's a golden brew with about a half inch of white bubbly head. The head didn't hang around long, no lacing.

S) Unfortunately, there was a bit of skunk on the nose. Moving beyond this, it was grain, light corn and lighter still hops.

T) Not exactly how I remember it. It is much like the smell, but luckily not as skunky. It really reminds me of a Stella or maybe a Mythos.

M) It is light, crisp and fairly refreshing on a summer day. It is pretty highly carbonated. It's okay.

O) Haven't had a Peroni since I was on holiday in Italy with the old ball and chain 7 years ago. It may be another 7 before I have another.

RoamingGnome, Aug 07, 2011
1.3/5  rDev -52.7%

Had this bottle in Florence on my elopement/honeymoon. Suffice it to say the Italians should stick to wine, with a few exceptions.

A: Clear, flat, little if any head, pretty boring.

S: Smells like regret. And a like a lager that has been in a green bottle for some time, not the most appealing brew.

T: Who knew! Regret! Skunky, grainy, bitter regret. Not the worst thing I've had in my mouth but close.

M: Well... not that bad for what it is. I was expecting thin and harsh in this department but it's better than that.

O: If you're in Florence just try the wine. Things that ferment taste great, stick with the ones Italy is good at.

aggiearcher13, Aug 01, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -6.2%

It was hot and I was in Little Italy NY. The beer pouerd a light golden yellow, with a large whit head. Dissipates very quickly.
Smelled very grainy, bread but little else.
Taste was the same . not very interesting. It was a good thirst quencher and fit for the food.

Hopfenpeter, Aug 01, 2011
3.23/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured a pure gold with carbonation bubbles and no head. Smell is primarily grains but with mild hops coming through as well. Taste is grainy but also nicely hopped. I detect small, fruity flavors possibly from the yeast (?). The mouthfeel was crisp and clean; well carbonated.

This is a decent beer. Not one I'd rush to get back to but it's one I would have if I'm somewhere without craft beer. It was actually quite refreshing on this day since it was 102 degrees out.

tdm168, Jul 30, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -3.6%

poured from bottle into pint glass

appearance - pale yellow color, light white foam head

smell- very bland in smell

taste- a light bodied lager, pretty average in taste

mouthfeel - once again very average

overall- tastes like an italian coors light, nothing special

GrizzlyBehr, Jul 27, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -0.7%

Got it from Italy,0,33l bottle.

A-Pale yellow,decent white quick vanishing foam,medium carbonation.

Smell-Nothing special,average pale lager smell,maybe some citrus notes.

T/M- Easy to drink must admit,citrus and cereals,average taste.

O-And again,average EPL.

djura, Jul 25, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Pours a pale yellow with a big billowing head that fades quickly with no lacing.

S: Clean grain aroma with a bit of sweetness.

T: Taste is a mixture of some grain and malt, mild sweetness. A touch of bitterness- Not a lot going on here.

F: Light body, clean and fairly crisp.

O: Easy drinker. Not what I would call "Blue Ribbon" but has the edge over most BMC offerings.

soju6, Jul 18, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -13.5%

660ml bottle served into a Trappist Westvleteren goblet in Rome, Italy, at me friend's gaff. Reviewed live.

First off, the green colour glass makes me suspect. No self-respecting brewer allows such factors as the bottle glass to affect quality. Presentation is poor.

A: 1.5 finger head of slight soft cream, nice thickness, and average retention. Colour is a clear yellow that appears a bit undercarbonated. Transparent.

Sm: Clean barley is all me broken nose picks up. A mild strength aroma.

T: Clean barley foundation is a bit empty but supports the few notes that are present atop it, including slight cream and light malt. Some orange or lemon peel would be very welcome in this beer. It's simplistic garbage meant for drinking with food at a table. It has no real flavour in itself. I suppose it's refreshing on a summer day, but so are other better Italian beers. It balances the few flavours it possesses.

Mf: Too smooth, too wet, too light. Classic fallacy. Also, there's a bit of stale cream towards the finish that dries artificially. Doesn't complement the style.

Dr: You could quaff it down at frat parties, sure. But if you want a flavourful beer look elsewhere. Even if you want an Italian beer that pairs well with food, look elsewhere. There is only one place this beer belongs: the shelf. That said, it's very affordable for the quantity. Maybe it'd be good as a cooking beer for frying sausages if there's no stale beer leftover from a party before.

kojevergas, Jul 16, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -0.7%

Scored a can of this in a birthday mixer pack bought for me.

A - Pours a pale straw colour, finger of big bubbled head which quickly dissipates and leaves no lacing.

S - Grassy notes alongside a some sweet apple juice. Almost reminiscent of a mild cider.

T - Classic Euro Pale Lager, with a very mild flavour, a touch of grass and mildew, and bready malts linger.

M - Medium bodied, goes down smooth and finishes with a touch of dryness.

O - Certainly not terrible, but it's all around just average. It's easily drinkable, but it's also so mild that it won't appease those who demand some flavour. Typical macro lager.

andrenaline, Jul 13, 2011
1.58/5  rDev -42.5%

Bottle poured into a pilsner glass. Half a finder of head which dissipated quickly. Light yellow color--not impressed. Smells pretty bland. Nothing of note. Tastes like an ashtray--really not good. One of the worst tasting beers I've had. Very watery mouthfeel. This beer is not good at all, and I wouldn't have it again.

Kooz, Jul 13, 2011
2.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Not much to tell about this beer, my 4th international lager out of the 6 I bought.

This has the normal golden colour with a bit of a thick white head. Plenty of visible carbonation.

The smell is a bit wierd, as with the Efes I had yesterday. Could be skunk I don't know, slightly sweet and grainy. Just like the Efes but a bit stronger.

Taste was similar, that light sweetness (adjunct?) and lots of grain with a bitterness that surpasses that of the previous 3 lagers.
Mouthfeel is not noteworthy, atleast it is not pure water as with Bud.

I will be going to Italy in a couple of weeks so I will probably drink more of this being there, and I can say that it is not a punishment.

IPA35, Jul 03, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +5.5%

12oz bottle (best by 07/21/11) poured into a pint glass at LaRosa's in Centerville, OH

Appearance: Poured a clear golden yellow with a white head. The white foam died down fairly quickly leaving just the faintest hint of a ring at the edge. Some initial lacing, but even that disappeared after awhile.

Smell: Solid skunky hops smell upon pouring, but this went away as the beer warmed up and eventually took on a faint earthy + malt/grain smell.

Taste: Earthy, grainy, and malty all blended together in quick succession, followed by a dry finish. Not bad, but not really great either.

Mouthfeel: Some carbonation, just thicker than water but nothing special.

Overall / Drinkability: I've had this before in a bottle a long time ago and I remember it with more fondness back then. I don't remember this much skunk smell upon pouring, but it was a long time ago. Went good with the Calzone I had, but after awhile I found it a mild chore to drink - not sure I'd want to have another in an evening. Maybe this bottle sat out in the light too long before getting chilled. Oh well - not every beer can be great.

damndirtyape, Jun 28, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +12.7%

355ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance- Very light straw color, little to no head. What little there is dissipates quite quickly. No lacing on glass. Disappointing appearance.

Smell- nothing special here either. smells like an American Adjunct.

Taste - The taste is better than it looks or smells, but not awesome. A little more flavour than an AAL, but at least its refreshing without an bad taste. Of course, not a lot of good taste either.

Mouthfeel- This does have a nice carbonated bite to it, sadly its the highlight of the beer.

Overall- I certainly woldn't turn one down if offered to me, but I don't think I'll seek this one out again.

PokerGod, Jun 27, 2011
1.27/5  rDev -53.8%

Well, I haven't had a good pan in awhile. This beer actually makes you want to eat a pan, as that would probably taste better. Puns (and pans) aside, let's do the review, shall we. I was a young lad of 28 years, sitting by the seaside in the small fishing village of Minori on the Amalfi coast, and I wanted a damned beer to go with my local dessert called "Nun's breasts" (seriously, that's how the word translated). I hadn't ticked the ubiquitous Italian beer Nasty Azzurro yet, so why not now? SHOULD HAVE RESISTED.

The beer looks harmless enough, golden-yellow in color and fizzy with a one-finger white head.

The aroma is just bad. An unpleasant bitterness assaults your nose. It's a bit like day-old grass, with some dirt mixed in, and a bland Wonder bread malt presence.

The flavor is bland as all hell, other than the taste of unpleasant old grassy hops and slight metal.

Light and fizzy on the palate, and very unsatisfying.

"Premium lager" is a misnomer as there's nothing premium about this crap. It's just crap. Plain and simple. I did not enjoy this experience whatsoever, and it took great effort to choke down the glass. Fortunately I am seasoned with a great deal of Indian Wells experience, so I succeeded. But I'm telling you, the whole thing was like a "Man vs. Food" challenge. I suffered greatly.

nickd717, Jun 24, 2011
3.05/5  rDev +10.9%

On tap at Maria's Italian Deli in Newhall, CA.

Pours a clear yellow color with a 1 inch white head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Random small spots of lacing line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of sweet grain and a light fruit aroma. Taste is the same as the smell with a light fruity flavor coming through on the finish. This beer has good carbonation with a bubbly and crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average beer but it washed down the pizza I had very well. Not something I would buy on its own though.

UCLABrewN84, Jun 24, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +21.1%

Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a light yellow color with a fizzy white head that left tiny lace.
S: Pretty stereotypical cheap lager smell of crisp grains, but I get sweet notes of honey as well.
T: Honey like sweetness is definitely noticeable, light grassy bitter hops, crisp grains. Straightforward.
M: Crisp mouth, touch of chewy sweetness from the honey flavor, fizzy carb.
O: A decent drinking lager, sweeter than most. Nothing very special but it wasn’t off-putting.

scottfrie, Jun 20, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -22.5%

Color was darker than straw but lighter than golden. Head was there and gone in the flash of an eye, never to return. No lace. Aroma of uncooked grain. Lots of carbonation, more than I expected even from a lager. Taste is mostly malt, very dry, with some cooked corn. Very reminiscent of an American adjunct lager but with a considerably more bitter finish. Light body.

LittleDon, Jun 13, 2011
3.18/5  rDev +15.6%

Light, light color and body. After a few gulps the hops seem to slink out into the open. Definitely not an American macro brew. The interesting skunky hop aroma pops out when you open the cap, then fades. Has a slight but pleasant fruity hop nose. No malt to speak of, but has the right amount of carbonation and none of the metallic flavors that mar many light lagers.

It's hard to get real affectionate about this stuff, but the kiss of hops and clean flavors should buy it some slight respect.

mactrail, Jun 03, 2011
1.45/5  rDev -47.3%

Went to bertuchis tonight, had this beer because it was the pairing recommendation with their florentine pizza, I really wish I had not drank this as it was a reminded me of just how bad beer really can be. It was pale urine yellow with a thin head, had a noticeably watery taste with a bitter aftertaste, it didn't have a noticeable aroma, the glass they served it in said blue moon which ironically would have went better with the pizza.

hdofu, May 28, 2011
Peroni Nastro Azzurro from Birra Peroni Industriale S.p.A.