Peroni Nastro Azzurro - Birra Peroni Industriale S.p.A.

Peroni Nastro AzzurroPeroni Nastro Azzurro

poor

poor

Birra Peroni Industriale S.p.A. visit their website
Italy

Euro Pale Lager |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Peroni Nastro Azzurro Alström Bros
MaltsOfGlory

Oregon

1.2/5  rDev -56.4%

Pours a small one finger white head that is already almost gone, the body is completely see through, yellow in color. Looks pretty horrible to me, I have no idea how this beer gets a C, because it looks like a adjunct lager to me, actually, it looks worse than some adjunct lagers, it's not even giving me any lacing. The smell is just full of skunk, maybe a little bit of malt underneath that, and then some hop underneath that, it's just so hard to detect anything when the smell of skunk is just blasting you in the face. The smell really isn't that great, I mean it smells like it's got some girth to it, but it's just all f'd up by all the skunk. We'll see how this beer tastes, but I don't have too much hope. God, the flavor is horrible, it taste like water mixed with alcohol and skunk. I mean it's almost undrinkable. I guess it's crisp? I mean I'm trying to find good things to say about it, I mean I guess it has more flavor than a bud, but it's not a good flavor. I really remember liking this beer more, but this....this beer is horrible. Btw, if anyone cared, I am getting 0 lacing out of this beer. I mean, I can drink it, it's beer, I wont hate drinking it, but....this is one of the last beers I would prefer to drink out of all of the beers out there in the world. I hate to say all of this because I'm italian, I want to like this beer, it's got a cool label, but man. Mouthfeel is bad, drinkability is bad, I don't know what else to say, I'm shocked at how bad this beer is, I really am.

04-29-2011 03:05:27 | More by MaltsOfGlory
heygeebee

Australia

2.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Ah - restaurant beer in an Italian eatery, to be chosen only when there is nothing else apart from Macros.

Pours OK, head fades quickly, nothing to smell really.

Taste is just bland, and as Euro Lager, there are many better. Nothing near hops or Pilsener here.

Pass next time, except I won't because it's generally the most appelaing on limited menus...

04-29-2011 00:27:47 | More by heygeebee
BigB415

2.85/5  rDev +3.6%

Not exactly my style but I figured what the hell? it's fun to venture out of your style of choice every once in a while. I can a smell of grass like you're out in the middle of a field on a morning after it rained waiting for the sunrise. When I drink some I get no hop bombs, no alcohol burn, just a nice refreshing beer which is what I'm not used to with all the stouts I drink. This beer seems like it would be good with some BBQ, maybe some grilled chicken and salad. During the summer when it's hot at night I'm definitely getting a lager and sitting on the back porch and knocking a few of these back.

04-26-2011 04:33:51 | More by BigB415
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

2.9/5  rDev +5.5%

Peroni pours a crystal clear lightish yellow with a somewhat foamy head that fades quickly. The aroma is mild, slightly malty and grainy, with an odd, almost vinous quality in the background. The flavor is grainy, husky malt with a hint of sweetness. There is a moderate bitterness, but no hop flavor. There is just a hint of sulfur, but it might be my imagination. In the finish there is a harsh, mead like quality.

04-22-2011 05:58:45 | More by ericj551
WoodBrew

3.13/5  rDev +13.8%

The better half and I attended a wonderful comedy show last evening at a neat Italian reastaurant in Melrose Park, IL! Chuck Salvo did a tremendous job and made us laugh with ease. In addition, we were with a great group of friends!! The Italian restaurant did have a poor beer selection though. However, I did enjoy the Peroni’s in the bottle….they went with our meal just fine. As with most Euro beer, it was seemingly a classic pilsner style beer. Clear, bubbly, color with white foam head, grainy nose, and a crisp clear taste. I could certainly do a session with this stuff….proved that last night!!! And when I say session….it means the mouthfeel was good enough.

04-18-2011 23:33:06 | More by WoodBrew
Jinholic

Arizona

2.73/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this on tap tonight doing review off my notepad.

Appearance - Clear golden straw color with a fizzy white head thats dies right away, fair amount of carbonation can be seen.

Smell - Hops and malts I thought this was a blonde ale when I had it as it has the characteristics of one. Scent was very weak though.

Taste - Closer too a pale ale than a lager in taste hops with light malts and while it held its own for a bit it became more bitter sour the more I had and was getting lots of lemon with after taste of lemon.

Mouthfeel - Light body, carbonation was a bit high as its fizzy in the mouth like a soda while finishing a bit watery.

Overall - Not a bad lager but its just so weak and mild I didn't want more of it. I'm glad I had this on tap as it comes in a green bottle which we all know can be iffy and while I would normally say to grab one and see...please don't as its just so mild.

04-17-2011 03:21:12 | More by Jinholic
RyanBelle

Ontario (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev +35.6%

Pretty good beer. Once out of the can and into the glass, it formed a thick foamy head 1/3 of it's volume. It's a very fresh tasting beer and has some nice corn notes. Also has a good amount of malt to keep the flavor alive, balanced by just enough hops. 5.1% ABV so it's right where a great Euro Lager needs to be - not boozy and not boring. I highly recommend this brew.

04-09-2011 05:30:41 | More by RyanBelle
DrinkingDrake

3.13/5  rDev +13.8%

Came out a clear golden yellow with a lot of bubbles. A descent amount of head about two fingers worth. Thick but dissipated quickly to barely any lace. The aroma was all grassy and a very sour lemon and wet straw. A faintly citrus and dirty hop aroma. Taste was very light and bubbly with a lot of straw and the sour lemon from the aroma. A very dry and crisp finish with some of the citrus hop but more of the wet grass sour/bitter dryness.

04-04-2011 02:02:47 | More by DrinkingDrake
Lauthaha

3.58/5  rDev +30.2%

Poured from a bottle into a beer glass.

Appearance: Styrofoam head (about two fingers) fizzles down to an uber-thin ring around the glass. A few hot-spots of carbonation polka-dot the surface of the beer. This is a very intriguing aspect of its look. The nitty-gritty itself is very pale and almost transparent. Heavy carbonation visible through the glass.

Smell: A scent only a motha could love. Hops jello? Bitter at first, with some pretty decent lemon-peel-type notes detectable after a moment. Typical of the style.

Taste: I really, really like Peroni. A medium-strength malt base lays the foundation for a handful of interesting flavors; lemon, pretzel, grassy, vaguely herbal, and ester. The alcohol is a touch poignant here, but aside from that, it's really good.

Mouthfeel: Beer is heavy in carbonation, allowing a long savoring of the classic Italian brew. Rinses super clean, with only a gentle bitterness.

Overall: Just a touch below good, but definitely above average. A go-to beer if you want something easily drinkable and yet subtly complex. Love it.

03-29-2011 01:26:09 | More by Lauthaha
SisuPride

Tennessee

2.42/5  rDev -12%

A super light crisp beer I had at Sal's Pizza in New York City. It was a beer that I had not seen a lot of of late so I thought I'd give it a try. I must admit I drank it straight out of the bottle which is good to do every now and again. I think on the right day with the right food it'd be a fair beer - like a hot summer day doing some yard work. The beer seemed lighter than Miller or Bud light to me. Overall, as my score indicates, I wouldn't recommend this beer or try it again anytime soon.

03-27-2011 22:23:07 | More by SisuPride
brewballer

Wisconsin

1.78/5  rDev -35.3%

Upon opening the bottle, I can immediately smell that skunky mustiness of a typical import lager. There is just no mistaking it. I was giving this beer a try because it was the only interesting beer being offered at a small italian restaurant I was checking out with some friends and family. Color was very pale and straw colored. Slight white head that seemed to hang around the rim longer than I expected. Tastewise, this beer is not impressive. It reminded me of a Heineken that had been sitting around in someones refrigerator a bit too long. It also seemed a bit too carbonated, but maybe its supposed to be that way. Either way, I won't be drinking it again unless I have very few other options.

03-26-2011 14:46:30 | More by brewballer
Knapp85

1.78/5  rDev -35.3%

Skunky as skunky gets... Thus brew is not pleasing on the nose at all. I odered this once and never again. I didn't mind that it was on the same basis as most lagers. I still wanted to try it. Through the whole thing I had that aroma attacking my nose and it made it hard to enjoy. I had to drink it asap just to order something different.

03-24-2011 03:31:22 | More by Knapp85
jsprain1

3.3/5  rDev +20%

A- Pale golden yellow. Thin slick of a head actually holds well and leaves some lacing.
S- Clean, pale malt, a bit of mustiness.
T- Sweet grain with a clean finish. Hop profile is low but noticable.
M- Crisp carbonation, standard-light body for style.
D- A decent pale lager. Nothing particularly unique about it, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.

03-21-2011 01:14:55 | More by jsprain1
CervezaMesa

3.7/5  rDev +34.5%

Great beer to say the least! Its your standard euro lager with a hint of Itailian culture! Coming from Chicago i know from back in the day this was Al Capone's choice of beer.

Taste is real light and fruity, mouthfeel is nice and it has a little after taste. light straw colored.

Looking at the other reviews it seems others really do not care for this beer. I think they really haven't given it a chance or they are not fans of lager beer!

In the end i think this is not best beer ever but for a euro lager it is one of my favorites! Give it a try! Viva la Italia!!!

03-13-2011 01:32:43 | More by CervezaMesa
benfons

2.05/5  rDev -25.5%

A: Nice foamy head, very pale straw blonde colour

S: grains some hops, something flowery, with the typical slight hint of cannabis of a lager that isn't flawless

T: Very bland grains hops and the weed again

M/D: Very thin, slightly over carbonated

Really not a good lager

03-09-2011 20:39:58 | More by benfons
pburland23

My brother in law was in town and he picked up a six pack of Peroni for some reason and brought it to my house. He drank one. One drank one and I gave the rest to my dad who went to Italy last year and came back in love with the stuff.

It's your standard Euro Pale Lager. It's pale in color, bland in aroma. The taste actually isn't too bad. It's crisp and dry, a touch fruity. It had an almost white wine quality to it. Like a not great bottle of sauvignon blanc. It's thin in the body but the drinkability isn't bad if this style of lager is your cup of tea. It's not mine which is why I gave it away.

Peroni could be worse. It could also be a lot better.

02-27-2011 00:10:59 | More by pburland23
ZenAgnostic

2.4/5  rDev -12.7%

No head, pale straw body. Light floral scent. Very hoppy taste, with hints of wheat and a skunky alcoholic finish. Light mouthfeel. Not quite refreshing by itself, but goes well when paired with salmon since it's sharp enough to cut through the oil but not overbearing in hoppiness. Would not go out of my way to grab another bottle unless selection was limited and it was part of a food pairing.

02-14-2011 20:50:57 | More by ZenAgnostic
CrazyMike

Alberta (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev -8%

Pale yellow appearance with lots of head that disappears quickly. Smell is mainly corn with a hint of grain.

Taste is similar to the smell, picked up corn and grain with a hint of malt and hops. Taste is very light though and this was hard to pick up. Crisp and light bodied with high carbonation. Aftertaste is bitter and a surprising hint of citrus.

Overall this is an easy to drink but unimpressive beer. First Italian beer and hope there are better ones then this; so far their wine is a lot better.

02-14-2011 01:13:30 | More by CrazyMike
womencantsail

2.8/5  rDev +1.8%

A: The beer pours a pale straw color with a finger of white head that quickly dissipates.

S: Corn, corn, and corn, and some more corn. Very sweet with a bit of an apple juice thing to it. There is some toasted grain in there as well. Not a very complicated aroma...

T: Sweet corn and sugar with a bit of a grass flavor. Some toasted grain and a touch of bitterness. It's pretty bland to begin with but starts to go downhill quickly as it warms up.

M: The body is light with a high level of carbonation.

D: If you drink it quick, this could be alright, but even still, I'm fine without having this again.

02-13-2011 23:31:34 | More by womencantsail
G2Brew

Kansas

2.48/5  rDev -9.8%

From bottle to pilsner glass. "Best before 04/20/11," consumed in mid-February, so I'm within the recommended freshness window, but it's not super fresh.

A - Pale straw yellow, very clear. Very little white head with almost no retention or lacing. Lots of rising bubbles.

S - Malt, bread, and very little hops. Nice first whiff, but it faded fast.

T - Clean, grainy, malty, with very slight fruit notes. The hops are balanced, but present. It's OK, but nothing to write home about.

M - Very light body, a little watery. Strong carbonation, works well with the flavor profile.

D - Pretty drinkable, but nothing I'd go out of my way for. If I want a pale lager, I'll reach for a Pilsner Urquel or a Sam Adams Noble Pils over this any day of the week.

02-13-2011 00:36:10 | More by G2Brew
mnrider

Connecticut

2.25/5  rDev -18.2%

12 oz. green bottle. Best Before 04/22/11

A: Pours pale golden yellow. Extreme carbonation, looks good. White creamy head with little lacing.

S: Strong aroma of sweet grains and a faint hop kick.

T/M: Light body. Clean and crisp, with very little taste. Watery thin mixture of bitter dry hops and weak grains. Finishes dry and bland. Really altogether forgettable.

D: Looks good, goes down easy, yet this brew lacks in everything else. Needs more taste and a reason for me to want another glass.

Cheers

02-11-2011 04:08:49 | More by mnrider
CuriousMonk

2.9/5  rDev +5.5%

Usually drank at Italian restaurant if I do not opt for wine (in tall chilled glass). Peroni has a thick, white head and a very clear deep golden appearance, with lots of carbonation. The aroma is slight, but some barley malt can be picked up with a strong sniff. The taste is delicious, and it does have a good hop and barley malt balance, as per the description. I enjoyed the full-bodied beer taste and mouth-feel and found it to be refreshing. Also, it is not as dry as American lagers.

02-04-2011 17:56:41 | More by CuriousMonk
dpodratsky3

2.33/5  rDev -15.3%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: pours with quick rising, but fairly small white fizzy head, settles to almost perfectly still on top with streaming bubbles throughout the beer, which is a very pale straw color, excellent clarity

S: hits with a massive whiff of skunk, slight pale sweetness and a little grassiness also

T: about what I expected, hard to handle, a cloying adjunct sweetness with that same grassiness that just starts to taste bad in the finish

M: highly carbonated, light body

D: light which you would think makes it easy to drink, but the taste is awful

Notes: I've had peroni before and I don't remember it being this bad. I'm not sure if this bottle was particularly light struck or what, but it was almost undrinkable. I'm sure drinking from a glass rather than the bottle also has something to do with the heightened awareness of off-flavors.

02-01-2011 04:40:43 | More by dpodratsky3
CwrwAmByth

United Kingdom (Wales)

2.83/5  rDev +2.9%

Peroni doesn't have much of a taste to it, although this is quite natural, being a lager. I drank mine over dinner so found it quite palatable and refreshing, going quite well with my pizza. It was very thirst quenching and was rather alot better than most lagers i've had.

An extremely average drink, I would not have it on its own, but it goes well with a meal.

01-27-2011 22:06:59 | More by CwrwAmByth
ferrari29

2.68/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from bottle into Pilsener glass

A - Beer poured with a one finger white head which dissipated very quickly; plenty of carbonation; clear body with a light golden color

S - Has a more powerful miller light pilsener smell; smell of grains (corn, wheat) come up very quickly; some malt but very grainy and carries an overwhelming skunk lager green-bottle scent

T - Light sugary grain taste; has that skunk green-bottle taste with kind of dry aftertaste; bitterness lingers in the back of the mouth; flavor of beer picks up at the back of the tongue; not much upfront besides some subtle malt notes

M - Thin and light in consistency; heavy effervescent bubbly feel over the tongue

D - This has more of a light pilsener beer taste; not much flavor in the beer besides some green-bottle beer taste and grains; definitely something you can drink a few of, but not something I would routinely pick; if I had limited choices at an Italian restaurant I would get this

01-16-2011 05:57:29 | More by ferrari29
Peroni Nastro Azzurro from Birra Peroni Industriale S.p.A.