Wandering Belgian - Lost Rhino Brewing Company

good

Lost Rhino Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

Belgian IPA |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: clayrock81 on 07-14-2013)
Reviews by jpd7374:

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love beer.

Poured from a 22oz bottle. I drink a full glass and then pour a second to review.

At first is was a little wild for me. But as i sip it, I like it much better as it warms up. The bubblegum rounds out to grapefruit and the bite turns to orange peel. There are lingering notes of banana, and citrus. The yeast is and hops are most prominent. The look is great for a Belgian IPA; golden and cloudy. I had to really work to get some head on this beer and it stuck around, but not like I would expect. The aroma is fruity with a nice floral hop presence. It is like a moderately hopped triple. This one is great for me. The 8.1% is well hidden in the smooth nature, which is typical of the Belgian influence. I could drink a whole second bottle. I even tipped the bomber again, forgetting that I emptied it on the 2nd pour. That means a lot.

If I were going to make this beer better, I'd have pushed the hops into more citrus alphas and encouraged more head retention.. That way you get a big hop flavor that enhances the yeast flavors. Both the alphas and, say, a crystal malt addition would be good for a long lacy head.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured a seethru light golden body with good head and some faint lace on top of an aroma with some yeast and citric orange but not too hoppy; touch of sweetness in there. Beer was smooth and a little filling from yeast, and the hops are noticeable and give off citric notes and there's a hint of tropical fruit and some candi sugar sweetness. To summarize, this beer had all the charateristics and notes of a typical Belgian IPA but just seemed to underwhelm on all; not bad but I wouldn't bother with a second time..

Had on cask at Churchkey- DC

3.66/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A beer that does combine Belgian and IPA, but I feel the IPA side wins out a bit.

A: golden and hazy, light lacing
S: very light notes of citrus, little banana, little earthy
T/M: tugs on the tongue throughout, but also has a light citrus taste early on. Finishes dry with earthy notes. The combination of tart and earthy kind of makes it seem a little "watery", but...
O: a solid offering. Stronger earthy bitterness than expected to me was a plus, but the conflicting Belgian tartness that is barely present balances the beer to a point of seeming "weaker", in my opinion.

Wandering Belgian from Lost Rhino Brewing Company