Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Wandering Belgian - Lost Rhino Brewing Company

Belgian IPA |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: clayrock81 on 07-14-2013

Reviews by jpd7374:

3/5  rDev n/a

Presentation: It was served on tap at the Rino Brewing Company. Appearance: It has a light haze and a pale yellow colored body. It’s head was small, bright white in color and fades quickly. Leaving just a light ring of foam and some light spoty lacing. Smell: The aroma is light and there is very little here that reminds me of a Belgian IPA. I do get some light pale malt notes with some mild hopes mixed in. Taste / Palate: This one is a bit off for me. It has a light white bready malt base with an odd buttery popcorn like flavor note though out. The finish has a little Belgian yeast note with some very mild hop bitterness. (631 characters)

3.64/5  rDev n/a

4.25/5  rDev n/a

3.4/5  rDev n/a

3.75/5  rDev n/a

3.75/5  rDev n/a

3.59/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love beer.

Poured from a 22oz bottle. I drink a full glass and then pour a second to review.

At first is was a little wild for me. But as i sip it, I like it much better as it warms up. The bubblegum rounds out to grapefruit and the bite turns to orange peel. There are lingering notes of banana, and citrus. The yeast is and hops are most prominent. The look is great for a Belgian IPA; golden and cloudy. I had to really work to get some head on this beer and it stuck around, but not like I would expect. The aroma is fruity with a nice floral hop presence. It is like a moderately hopped triple. This one is great for me. The 8.1% is well hidden in the smooth nature, which is typical of the Belgian influence. I could drink a whole second bottle. I even tipped the bomber again, forgetting that I emptied it on the 2nd pour. That means a lot.

If I were going to make this beer better, I'd have pushed the hops into more citrus alphas and encouraged more head retention.. That way you get a big hop flavor that enhances the yeast flavors. Both the alphas and, say, a crystal malt addition would be good for a long lacy head. (1,134 characters)

4/5  rDev n/a

3.43/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured a seethru light golden body with good head and some faint lace on top of an aroma with some yeast and citric orange but not too hoppy; touch of sweetness in there. Beer was smooth and a little filling from yeast, and the hops are noticeable and give off citric notes and there's a hint of tropical fruit and some candi sugar sweetness. To summarize, this beer had all the charateristics and notes of a typical Belgian IPA but just seemed to underwhelm on all; not bad but I wouldn't bother with a second time.. (517 characters)

4/5  rDev n/a

Had on cask at Churchkey- DC (28 characters)

3.65/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A beer that does combine Belgian and IPA, but I feel the IPA side wins out a bit.

A: golden and hazy, light lacing
S: very light notes of citrus, little banana, little earthy
T/M: tugs on the tongue throughout, but also has a light citrus taste early on. Finishes dry with earthy notes. The combination of tart and earthy kind of makes it seem a little "watery", but...
O: a solid offering. Stronger earthy bitterness than expected to me was a plus, but the conflicting Belgian tartness that is barely present balances the beer to a point of seeming "weaker", in my opinion. (575 characters)

Wandering Belgian from Lost Rhino Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.