Sour Barley Wine - The Grizzly Paw Brewing Company

American Barleywine |  9.25% ABV

Beer added by: BigBry on 05-22-2011

4.01/5  rDev n/a

3.08/5  rDev n/a

Grizzly Paw's third installment in their sour beer series.

Appearance - Pours a dark mahogany brown with a finger of bubbly tan head.

Smell - sweet vinous aromas, dark fruits (plum, raisin, fig), toffee, earthy and leafy hops.

Taste - The taste is dominated by the sweet vinous aromas and dark fruits (plum, fig, and raisin). The hops are very overpowered by the barrel. The taste borders an English Barleywine because of this.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with light carbonation. Finishes dry with the vinous sweetness. The body is a tad thin for the style.

Overall - An interesting experimentation with the American Barleywine style. Its a shame the hops are overpowered by the vinous flavours of the barrel. Adjustments are needed to get this up to par for the style as it drinks like an English Barleywine not an American Barleywine as per the classification.

4.36/5  rDev n/a

4.3/5  rDev n/a

One of the rotating offerings we spotted on our last trip to Canmore, and lunch at the Grizzly Paw. I was unable to get any more info about this beer, so I am unsure if this was a one-of, or if it will be a rotating regular.
Served in a small snifter, the color and body could have been a scotch. I got a few looks from other patrons when my beer arrived. Sweet grainy smell, with some warming alcohol vapors. The flavor was heavy, with an amazing mix of malt sweetness, slight hop bitterness, and just enough sour finish to keep it clean and tingly on the tongue. I have to admit, I wasn't expecting much, assumed it was have a puckering or even infected-tasting sourness - but I was totally wrong. I was very impressed, couldn't stop swirling my glass, sniffing and sipping. Thick, rich body and mouthfeel. A great experience. It they had it bottled, I would have snapped up an arm load on the spot!

Sour Barley Wine from The Grizzly Paw Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.