Hopfentea - Perennial Artisan Ales

Perennial Artisan Ales visit their website
Missouri, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: ThatsThatDude on 05-02-2014

Berliner Weisse steeped on a tropical tea blend.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 145 | Reviews: 12
3.25/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.12/5  rDev +7%

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Aroma of citrus zest, mango, peach, apricot, faint honey & green tea. Taste stone fruit, mild earthiness, shape citrus finish. Nice!

3.69/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Alcohol Paul brought this over for a NYE celebration. This was the second in our series of beers we wanted to drink. And yes, we took notes so we could review the beers later on. Poured from the bomber into two tulip glasses, because I am not sure if I have ever drank a Berliner Weiss. I had to consult BA as to glassware. I digress....

Appearance - Pours a very clear, golden color with a super soapy, bubbly head of two fingers that vanishes muy rapido. The packaging is alluring, and Perennial is always pushing the envelope, so I am interested. Leaves little lacing.

Smell - Sour, tart, grains, all of the tropical fruits mentioned on the label. Some wheat, kinda smells like walking past a candle store or a store that sprays too many samples of their newest fruity body spray.

Taste - Shockingly tart and sour, these two attributes really override any other aspect of the taste. There is a bit of syrupy flavor in there, but the tart sourness is very strong indeed. I am unsure if all Berliner Weissbiers are like this or Perennial has just made theirs like this. Almost like a wild ale or a sour beer, but not as rude or funky.

Mouthfeel - As carbonated as champagne, very light and bubbly on the palate. Finishes a bit soapy and acidic, but clean for the most part.

Overall - This just is not my style. I may have to try a more traditional Berliner Wiessbier to ensure it just wasn't this particular flavor, but this was too sour and funky for me. I rated it like I did because, according to the description, this is how these beers are supposed to be. Well, if that's the case, I don't like them, but I didn't want my personal view to cloud my reviewing judgement. Drink at your own risk.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

4.04/5  rDev +4.9%

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

3.96/5  rDev +2.9%

750mL into a tulip. Pours a clear copper/straw w/ lively carbonation and a bursting head.

Aroma is subtly tart and grainy with hints of sweet fruit.

Taste is brightly tart with a touch of crushed aspirin. Pale grainy malt and ripe, juicy fruit.

Mouthfeel is crisp and prickly, dry finish.

Overall a really enjoyable sour fruit Berliner-weisse. Would drink this pretty often if it were available to me. Thanks again LambicPentameter for sending this one my way.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Solid brew. Fun take on a traditional Berliner.
A lot more sour than I thought it was going to be.
Definite tea flavors along with notes of papaya, rose and mango.
Worth a try, at least once.
Better than the reviews imply.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hopfentea from Perennial Artisan Ales