17 Mint Chocolate Stout - Perennial Artisan Ales

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.30% ABV

Beer added by: birchstick on 03-24-2012

Ratings: 526 | Reviews: 77
4.21/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to BlackElixir for this extra in a May-time in person trade. Big 750ML bottle that looks quite somber in this light. Split with my wife.

The pour is decidedly dark, carbonation is not notable, except that I’ve now noted it, so I suppose it is noted, if not notable. It smells like Peppermint Patties, which I keep a bag of in my house at all times - hidden from my voracious, velociraptor children. I’m a big fan. Can’t wait any longer to get this in my face.

17 Chocolate Mint Stout is basically molten Peppermint Patties – yes! Sprig after sprig of peppermint assails the tongue, with a backing force of liquefied brownie batter, heavy on the chocolate. The peppermint actually rises (like heat, or a risen diety) into the sinuses & gives them a good whoopin’, too. I could go on about the subtleties underneath these two monsters, but that would just be false advertising – there ain’t any. Zero apparent alcohol. Really thick & smooth as marble countertops. It’s a beer I can’t sip, but feel compelled to gulp, despite my intent to tipple delicately.

Exactly what I was hoping for & didn’t think I would get; this could have gone wrong in so many directions. Instead, the compass swung due north (I use a GPS because compasses confuse me) & this beer lived up to unrealistic expectations. Excellent brew.

4.19/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2013 bottle
Mint flavor and aroma had both faded significantly. I actually really liked this. Thick, creamy mouthfeel with some nice roast to it. Curious to try a fresh bottle to compare.

4.31/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's like a peppermint pattie. I like peppermint patties.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap, poured into a tulip. The aroma is that of minty fudge cookies. It's dark, oily looking, and black with a brown, dense soap head that has okay retain and decent lace. The taste is highly sweet with a medium bitter note. The texture is slick and syrupy with a light zip of carbonation and a full body that's mint fudge cookies from front to back. It's fairly clean with an aftertaste that's a bit bready, but mostly chocolate and mint.

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

On tap at Perennial during SP Pulling Nails release Sat.
Thick and minty just as I heard and it did not disappoint at all!
Amazing but would ensure I had a friend or friends to share as it is a big one if cracking the 750mL.

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is a beer that if you're not a fan of mint chocolate chip ice cream... you'll not be a fan of this.

That said, I'm a fan of mint chocolate chip ice cream, so this is delicious. Surprisingly light in the mouth too.

3.91/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Tons of mint, great stout body!

3.64/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A couple tweaks and this could be great. Like drinking perfume. The smell was great but it tastes bad if it gets in your mouth. Close to being a good Andes mint but overpowering in a strange way.

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Seems like a love it or hate it beer. LOVE IT. no doubt this brew is not represented fairly in the high 80's. Pick this one up, if you can find it. There's a good reason it's not on most shelves. Give it a taste, give it a twist, double fist. Delish.

**Disclaimer, not all of the stinky fish boys agree on this one. Majority fins. (I happen to think it's just carbonated dumpster juice from behind the Fannie Mae factory - single fin)

4.26/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On tap at Dexter's for Mad Craft Beer Week.

Though I'm not loving it, the execution is astonishing. It tastes like a mint chocolate confection of the highest order. (I don't like mint chocolate candies.) My mistake : I didn't see the "mint" in the description.

4.12/5  rDev +4%

Great taste of mint, reminds me of drinking andes mints with alcohol but with toned down sweetness which is favorable to me.

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

Clean, non artificial mint throughout the palate. Decent chocolate. Nothing over the top. Very nice.

2.94/5  rDev -25.8%

The in-your-face peppermint was too much for me.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Rich and velvety on the palate but a bit heavy on the mint. This beer has so much potential but misses the balance a little. I'd love to see them dial back the mint and let the chocolate and roast notes shine a little more. Overall, very enjoyable mouthfeel.

I love Thin Mints and Andes mints, but this is a little too much mint for me. Seems like the mint becomes more prominent as it warms also, so I would serve very cold. Look and mouthfeel are great though. And the chocolate is there, just overpowered. Still a very good stout.

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this at Mikkeller bar in San Fran. Great nose if you like mint, mouthfeel is silky smooth and great taste. Not sure why this is not rated higher. I really enjoyed it!

4.46/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mint is great here, but you better like mint. Color is gorgeous dark, it's syrupy as heck. Very happy to have another bottle, and will seek out more.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

If you don't like mint, let it be. Nice as a dessert.

4.74/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Smells of mint and a little chocolatey.. Silky smooth.. Up front it does taste very much like the aforementioned Andes candies.. Some charred taste at the end but extremely enjoyable.. I like mint and really enjoyed this beer.. If you're not a mint fan be cool and leave it on the shelf for the rest of us.. Otherwise this is highly recommended for what it says on the label

4.06/5  rDev +2.5%

On tap at Øl Beercafe. Awesome place. Anyway, big, very thick body. Big notes of chocolate and mint. As it warms, more of the stout flavor comes through, but I actually enjoyed it slightly cooler. Reminded me of an Andes mint. If you like thin mints, you will might like this.

3.07/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

A brave effort but the mint is overpowering making this beer almost undrinkable.

2.49/5  rDev -37.1%

Served On-Tap

A – Pours a deep, thick, and rich dark black. Dark coffee colored head appears, but disappears quite quickly. Moderate and spotty lacing is left behind.

S – Huge notes of mint, sweet peppermint, spearmint, chocolate syrup and sugar.

T – Strong, artificial, sweet, cloying mint notes, tastes a lot like mouthwash and chocolate syrup. Off putting and dominated by obscenely artificial mint notes.

M – Syrupy, thick, sticky, bitter aftertaste.

O – Quite a disappointment as it really lacks any semblance of balance, extremely sweet and artificially minty, you could use this as mouthwash and hardly tell a difference if it wasn't for the color and opacity.

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a Fremont small snifter. Pours pitch black, appearing opaque black in the glass with a half finger, rich brown head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is dominated by mint chocolate, smelling quite remarkably like a mint wafer chocolate, with just hints of dark toasted malt. Flavor is chocolate, light mint and sweet dark toasted malt, with the mint developing a nice fresh mint flavor into a long minty chocolate finish. Excellent heavy, creamy body enhances the experience of a dessert beer. Very nicely done, although the mint is dominating. Although it seems to have been well handled in intensity, mint does have a lot of flavor power and tends to take over the flavor profile. The malt is rich, but seems to be in the background to support the chocolatey flavors to match the mint. Although the malt is a definite background flavor, it is quite rich enough to support the chocolate and mint flavors as well as to cover the ABV very well. A very nicely done, rich mint stout that kept my interest throughout the glass. Not for the mint averse, but great if a chocolate mint dessert sounds appealing. I really liked this one, although I'm not sure more than a glass would be feasible. This 2015 bottle appears to be higher ABV at 10%, but as mentioned, the alcohol is barely noticeable as a flavor.

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

On tap at the Fairfax WF's the other day.

The beer pours a blackish brown color with pretty good head retention and decent lacing. On the nose, the beer smells quite promising, showcasing considerable chocolate and mint. There's some light vanilla and coffee as well, but the chocolate and mint clearly dominate. On the palate, the mint comes across as too much of a good thing and really overpowers the flavor profile. I like a little mint with my chocolate, not the other way around, and this beer is far too heavy on the mint. For me, it made the beer nearly undrinkable, the mint flavor is THAT intense. Mouthfeel is fairly full, but again, even here, the mint flavor hurts the beer. Alcohol is well integrated into the flavor profile (it's not at all hot or heavy on the palate), but I'm just not digging the level of mint I'm picking up in this beer.

Interesting beer, but definitely not my cup of tea.

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

If you don't like York's Peppermint Patties or Andes Mint Chocolates, then give this one a wide berth, and particularly because it's not cheap. But it's a beautiful-looking beer, and deftly crafted (these flavors/ingredients can't be easy to work with, or balance). I, personally, am glad to have tried it, but I also know I won't ever feel the need to try it again. There are better straight-up imperial stouts, and there are better straight-up mint chocolate candies. And they are considerably less expensive.

17 Mint Chocolate Stout from Perennial Artisan Ales