Follow our progress ...

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by birchstick on 03-24-2012

Reviews: 94 | Ratings: 676
4.51/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours black, thin light tan head forms and lingers.

Nose is a bit sweet, mint comes through and chocolate and coffee too.

Flavor is absolutely on point - tastes like a thin mint cookie. Mint is light and fresh and a great balance with the chocolate which is a touch on the sweet side but not cloying.

Lighter carbonation works well here. It's one of the most refreshing stouts I've had - not at all boozy for a 9.3%. Very nice, will definitely have again.

3.97/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

750ml capped bottle into a Cigar City snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a luscious, .25 finger dark fudge colored head with low retention. Beer is slick, oily, thick and pitch black. Lacing is thick, spotty and layered with good stick. Solid.

Nose is Andes mint chocolate coated with fudge and a bit of roast. Sweet and syrupy, just like you'd imagine. Awesome.

Opens unmistakable mint chocolate. Hints of fudge, cocoa powder, roasted malt and more sweet milk chocolate. Mint is present throughout, complementing every flavor. Ends sweet and a bit coarse. Sweet mint chocolate finish. Pretty simple.

Full bodied with low carbonation. Slick and oily in the mouth and goes down warm and rich. Finishes messy and sticky with a long, lingering, coated aftertaste. Really rich.

A novelty imperial stout for sure. This is very well made... I just don't know if I like mint as part of the imperial stout experience. Certainly worth trying though.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a snifter; thanks, Biggs!

A: Chocolate brown with a thick light brown head that stayed. Full lacing.

S: Such a nice blend of dark chocolate with a hint of mint.

T: Like drinking a Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie. Smooth and robust with a great chocolate base followed by a minty sensation. The 9.3% is definitely evident.

M: Slick and thick; medium mouthfeel with thick, chewy carbonation.

O: Glad I got to try this little surprise. A great bottle share. Wish I could've downed the whole thing myself. Recommended.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Thanks to BlackElixir for this extra in a May-time in person trade. Big 750ML bottle that looks quite somber in this light. Split with my wife.

The pour is decidedly dark, carbonation is not notable, except that I’ve now noted it, so I suppose it is noted, if not notable. It smells like Peppermint Patties, which I keep a bag of in my house at all times - hidden from my voracious, velociraptor children. I’m a big fan. Can’t wait any longer to get this in my face.

17 Chocolate Mint Stout is basically molten Peppermint Patties – yes! Sprig after sprig of peppermint assails the tongue, with a backing force of liquefied brownie batter, heavy on the chocolate. The peppermint actually rises (like heat, or a risen diety) into the sinuses & gives them a good whoopin’, too. I could go on about the subtleties underneath these two monsters, but that would just be false advertising – there ain’t any. Zero apparent alcohol. Really thick & smooth as marble countertops. It’s a beer I can’t sip, but feel compelled to gulp, despite my intent to tipple delicately.

Exactly what I was hoping for & didn’t think I would get; this could have gone wrong in so many directions. Instead, the compass swung due north (I use a GPS because compasses confuse me) & this beer lived up to unrealistic expectations. Excellent brew.

4.19/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2013 bottle
Mint flavor and aroma had both faded significantly. I actually really liked this. Thick, creamy mouthfeel with some nice roast to it. Curious to try a fresh bottle to compare.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap, poured into a tulip. The aroma is that of minty fudge cookies. It's dark, oily looking, and black with a brown, dense soap head that has okay retain and decent lace. The taste is highly sweet with a medium bitter note. The texture is slick and syrupy with a light zip of carbonation and a full body that's mint fudge cookies from front to back. It's fairly clean with an aftertaste that's a bit bready, but mostly chocolate and mint.

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

On tap at Perennial during SP Pulling Nails release Sat.
Thick and minty just as I heard and it did not disappoint at all!
Amazing but would ensure I had a friend or friends to share as it is a big one if cracking the 750mL.

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is a beer that if you're not a fan of mint chocolate chip ice cream... you'll not be a fan of this.

That said, I'm a fan of mint chocolate chip ice cream, so this is delicious. Surprisingly light in the mouth too.

3.64/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A couple tweaks and this could be great. Like drinking perfume. The smell was great but it tastes bad if it gets in your mouth. Close to being a good Andes mint but overpowering in a strange way.

4.26/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On tap at Dexter's for Mad Craft Beer Week.

Though I'm not loving it, the execution is astonishing. It tastes like a mint chocolate confection of the highest order. (I don't like mint chocolate candies.) My mistake : I didn't see the "mint" in the description.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Rich and velvety on the palate but a bit heavy on the mint. This beer has so much potential but misses the balance a little. I'd love to see them dial back the mint and let the chocolate and roast notes shine a little more. Overall, very enjoyable mouthfeel.

I love Thin Mints and Andes mints, but this is a little too much mint for me. Seems like the mint becomes more prominent as it warms also, so I would serve very cold. Look and mouthfeel are great though. And the chocolate is there, just overpowered. Still a very good stout.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this at Mikkeller bar in San Fran. Great nose if you like mint, mouthfeel is silky smooth and great taste. Not sure why this is not rated higher. I really enjoyed it!

4.74/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Smells of mint and a little chocolatey.. Silky smooth.. Up front it does taste very much like the aforementioned Andes candies.. Some charred taste at the end but extremely enjoyable.. I like mint and really enjoyed this beer.. If you're not a mint fan be cool and leave it on the shelf for the rest of us.. Otherwise this is highly recommended for what it says on the label

4.06/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap at Øl Beercafe. Awesome place. Anyway, big, very thick body. Big notes of chocolate and mint. As it warms, more of the stout flavor comes through, but I actually enjoyed it slightly cooler. Reminded me of an Andes mint. If you like thin mints, you will might like this.

2.49/5  rDev -37.9%

Served On-Tap

A – Pours a deep, thick, and rich dark black. Dark coffee colored head appears, but disappears quite quickly. Moderate and spotty lacing is left behind.

S – Huge notes of mint, sweet peppermint, spearmint, chocolate syrup and sugar.

T – Strong, artificial, sweet, cloying mint notes, tastes a lot like mouthwash and chocolate syrup. Off putting and dominated by obscenely artificial mint notes.

M – Syrupy, thick, sticky, bitter aftertaste.

O – Quite a disappointment as it really lacks any semblance of balance, extremely sweet and artificially minty, you could use this as mouthwash and hardly tell a difference if it wasn't for the color and opacity.

4.11/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a Fremont small snifter. Pours pitch black, appearing opaque black in the glass with a half finger, rich brown head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is dominated by mint chocolate, smelling quite remarkably like a mint wafer chocolate, with just hints of dark toasted malt. Flavor is chocolate, light mint and sweet dark toasted malt, with the mint developing a nice fresh mint flavor into a long minty chocolate finish. Excellent heavy, creamy body enhances the experience of a dessert beer. Very nicely done, although the mint is dominating. Although it seems to have been well handled in intensity, mint does have a lot of flavor power and tends to take over the flavor profile. The malt is rich, but seems to be in the background to support the chocolatey flavors to match the mint. Although the malt is a definite background flavor, it is quite rich enough to support the chocolate and mint flavors as well as to cover the ABV very well. A very nicely done, rich mint stout that kept my interest throughout the glass. Not for the mint averse, but great if a chocolate mint dessert sounds appealing. I really liked this one, although I'm not sure more than a glass would be feasible. This 2015 bottle appears to be higher ABV at 10%, but as mentioned, the alcohol is barely noticeable as a flavor.

3.65/5  rDev -9%

On tap at the Fairfax WF's the other day.

The beer pours a blackish brown color with pretty good head retention and decent lacing. On the nose, the beer smells quite promising, showcasing considerable chocolate and mint. There's some light vanilla and coffee as well, but the chocolate and mint clearly dominate. On the palate, the mint comes across as too much of a good thing and really overpowers the flavor profile. I like a little mint with my chocolate, not the other way around, and this beer is far too heavy on the mint. For me, it made the beer nearly undrinkable, the mint flavor is THAT intense. Mouthfeel is fairly full, but again, even here, the mint flavor hurts the beer. Alcohol is well integrated into the flavor profile (it's not at all hot or heavy on the palate), but I'm just not digging the level of mint I'm picking up in this beer.

Interesting beer, but definitely not my cup of tea.

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

If you don't like York's Peppermint Patties or Andes Mint Chocolates, then give this one a wide berth, and particularly because it's not cheap. But it's a beautiful-looking beer, and deftly crafted (these flavors/ingredients can't be easy to work with, or balance). I, personally, am glad to have tried it, but I also know I won't ever feel the need to try it again. There are better straight-up imperial stouts, and there are better straight-up mint chocolate candies. And they are considerably less expensive.

4.9/5  rDev +22.2%

This beer will clear your congestion with only a smell. Only for the mint lovers. Perfect mouth feel. Chocolate balances the strong mint. Phenomenal beer.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

If you like chocolate and mint, you'll absolutely love this beer... it seems like Perennial used the same base stout as Sump and Abraxas, which has an amazing mouthfeel. Tastes like an Andes mint chocolate.

If you don't like mint, don't bother going for this beer. It is what it says it is.

4.48/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The first thing that struck me, as I was pouring, was the viscosity of this beer. Wicked dark and somewhat thick. Nice thick brown head. Nose is very apparent mint. Flavor brings a good deal of it too. Though after time, it is washed out for the most part by the cacao and other typical impy stout characteristics. Chocolate, mild molasses, smoothly sweet wads of malts. Great beer. My first mint stout and I love it. More please.

1.87/5  rDev -53.4%

Good lord, who thought this was a good idea? Smells like someone dumped some peppermint extract into the beer prior to bottling. Overpowering everything - I can barely smell any chocolate or anything else - this smells way overdone. This is confirmed on the palate. Incredibly intense, grossly so, the mint is overpowering. I had to spit this out. Awful.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This years release is delicious. Its like drinking a not-so-sweet mint chocolate chip ice-cream. The mint and chocolate balance is spot on; definitely one of the best mint chocolate stouts I've had that's not BA.

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottled March 12, 2014

L - Pours a thick black body with a mocha one finger head. The head has tight, fine bubbles with an oily appearance on the side of the glass. Not much retention as it dissipates to a ring around the glass.

S - Right away, I get a pleasant mix of semi-sweet cocoa nibs and mint. The mint isn't of the peppermint variety, but more herbal in nature. If you love chocolate mint, this is it.

T - The taste follows the smell. Semi-sweet chocolate intertwined with mint. The mint isn't overpowering and shares the spotlight. As it warms, the roasty characteristics of the stout come forth.

F - Medium to full bodied with a low carbonation. Has a smooth, velvety texture and tight carbonation bubbles in the mouth.

O - An awesome mix of mint and semi-sweet chocolate. I can see this as a dessert beer or one for a beer share. But, I'm loving it all to myself.

17 Mint Chocolate Stout from Perennial Artisan Ales