Fantastic Voyage - Perennial Artisan Ales

Fantastic VoyageFantastic Voyage

Perennial Artisan Ales visit their website
Missouri, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.80% ABV

Milk Stout brewed with real coconut. (Brewed in Collaboration with Jim Leabig)

(Beer added by: TheSarge on 07-15-2012)

Kevincredible, Jul 11, 2014

TriageStat, Mar 30, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

CheapBeerBuzz, Aug 22, 2013
2.39/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

My bottle was one of the many 4/2013 bottles that was infected. I was really looking forward to this one and the infection basically turned this in to a bland sour stout.

The nose indicated the infection as a tart/sour presence dominated and completely detracted from any other aromas in the beer.

The palate was very tart with some roast, chocolate and dark fruit notes but no coconut at all.

TheSevenDuffs, Sep 15, 2013

kscaldef, Jan 06, 2014

gueuzegossage, Aug 22, 2013
2.64/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Let’s be clear, this voyage was not so fantastic.  After loving a lot of what Perennial does, this missed the mark.  My thought is an infected bottle, due to the sourness, over carbonation, and lack of smooth sweet flavor others have described.  This was like spoiled milk, with roasted grains and excessive carbonation.  Here’s to hoping it was a fluke and not how this was intended.  For 17 bucks, I was quite disappointed.

taylor714914, Sep 11, 2013
2.69/5  rDev -29.4%

This beer is nothing like the description on the bottle. In fairness it is almost a year old and so the coconut is non existent. Ironically this beer reminded me of a sour. My Dad, brother, and I split this bottle, there's were drain pours. I like sours so I stuck with it. However, it was very disappointing.

ZepHead80, Feb 23, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Beer pours pitch black with a very thin dark mocha head with poor retention. Lacing is stringy, spotty and sparse with little cling. Thin legs. Average.

Sharing during a cellar stout clean out by my friend.

Pours black with a small off-white head. Decent lacing.

Nose contains lots of coconut and milk chocolate with some roasted malts. Can definitely smell the lactose in this.

Flavor starts with more milk chocolate (chocolate and lactose). Coconut then comes on pretty strong (too strong in my opinion). There is a touch of roasted malt, but not enough to balance out the sweetness. Lots of coconut on the aftertaste.

Lighter bodied for a stout. Finishes sweet and got a little cloying by the bottom of the glass. A little overcarbed.

This one failed for me as a beer. Did not like the coconut interplay and did not contain enough roast to rein in the lactose. It succeeded for me as a way to integrate my 90's rap playlist into the night's events so slight bonus for that.

jmarsh123, Feb 28, 2013

DantheMan75, Nov 25, 2013

Chazari99, Oct 06, 2013
2.89/5  rDev -24.1%

First had: on tap at TJ's
Nice to see Perennial making its way into SEPA.

My bartender warned me that this one was a bit disappointing, and there was just about no coconut to be detected, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway. I'm not really a fan of coconut anyway...though I do like it in beer.

Solid black pour with a thick tan ringlet that left some lacing on the glass. In the nose, dark malts, cream, light notes of shaved coconut; overall a bit muted, with a tone of bitterness. While I don't doubt the bartender's taste, I definitely picked up some coconut in the taste right away, not overblown, but it was definitely there, chocolaty sweetness, milkiness, bready malts, a touch of earthy bitterness. I wasn't too impressed by this, but honestly I think it was served on the cold side, and I didn't give it the proper time to come down to a more appropriate temperature to let the full flavors present themselves. Body was about medium, though the mouthfeel was smooth. Overall not bad. I'd like to try it again to get a second opinion. I also have a bottle at home that might get opened soon.

*Edit: opened that bottle...it was a drain pour. And a pricey one at that. Smelled and tasted like sour milk. Nasty infection.

Rifugium, Jun 29, 2013